PDA

View Full Version : Our chances in ODI

Imran
January 23, 2005, 05:30 AM
We sure are better than Zbwe in Test matches. But in ODI, are we that good to beat them comprehensively? I think we are very close as far as strength is concerned. And Zbwe has the edge because they are strong built, better in fielding and can score pretty quick. Look at our batsmen:

1. Nafees : Excellent temparament (test century proves it), but strike rate really low. He can maintain a score rate of 4 per over, anything more than that will be too much asking.
2. Rajin : Playing really excellent. But remember, he is not known for strokeplays but rather for his gutts and temperament. Only when he was about to be dropped, he started playing as on opener and it clicked. But I am really scared that he will go to his usual face pretty soon and start playing his natural cricket which is around 4 or 4.5 runs per over.
3. Habibul Bashar : Excellent test match batsman (makes run pretty quick in Test), in ODI surprisingly he is slow. Capable of scoring around 4 runs per over.
4. Ashraful : Excellent player. Capable of scoring at any pace but gets distracted too much , not reliable.
5. Aftab : Strokemaker but completely out of form.
6. Alok : Same as Aftab. Awesome player indeed, but selectors did not give him enough rest to come back from a lean patch.
7.Khaled Mashud: Excellent player with a lot of gutts. Known for his temparament but again not for quick scoring.
8. Rafiq : Injured.
9. Sujon: plays fast, but consistency is missing and also can't play a long innings.
10. Tapash: Plays with a long hand, scores fast but consistency is missing. Afterall he is a bowler who can bat.
11. Mashrafe: Injured.

With our batsman we can score anything around 190 to 230 (depending on form of individual batsman). But can our bowler restrict the Zbwe batsmen within that score on a flat subcontinent pitch? I do not think so.

If Aftab or Alok do click or if Rafiq/Mashrafe do not come back from injuries, we are really in trouble against Zbwe in ODI. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us by 4-1.

Imran

Darkwarrior
January 23, 2005, 07:01 AM
Habibul and ashraful must play well for bangladesh if they have to get a good score

Blah
January 23, 2005, 07:04 AM
There are so many other things to consider.

1) There were four changes inthe team, including two players who where few of the most strongest side of the team. (masri, rafique) Apart from their bowling their batting would have most certainly made a differance in this game.

2) We were chasing in this game. Even india got screwed chasing a smaller target against us. Chasing is never easy on a day-night match in a dhaka pitch. For any team.

3) Too much changes inthe team in short time causes lapse in performance as a team.

4) Two players came back to the team after a long break. Alok and razzak.

I think we were a bit un-lucky in the first game and will bounce back strongly in the last four games.

What the selector needs to do is select the strongest possible combination instead of making too much change too often, and playing half-assed "allrounders" (alok kapali) despite continual poor performance.

What the players needs to do is get their s-h-i-t together and perform to their potential which is much better than their last performance.

what US the expectators needs to do is keep faith in the team, when they perform good also when they perform below our expectation. Loosing one game is not the end of the world, as much as we would love it to happen they won't win every game they play, we need to understand that and move on with hope for the next game.

Blah
:flag::flag:

Haradhon
January 23, 2005, 11:53 AM
OUR ODI BOWILING:
Pacers/med-pacers available: Masri, Tapash, Nazmul; Shujon and Aftab (2nd-tier). Spinners: Rafiq, Enamul, and Raja; Rana
In the absence of Masri-Rafiq, we need Tapash, Nazmul, and Aftab/Shujon, and Rana and Enamul/Raj.
With 5 bowlers, assuming Masri-Rafiq absent, the remaining positions go to: Nafis (maturing as an openner), Rajin, Bashar, Ash, Pilot - the 11th place goes to Aftab or Shujon.
This bowling attach cannot limit Zim within 250. So the win can be earned when one of our top order clicks, i.e., a century or two half centuries by Nafis, Bashar, or Ash.
IF BASHAR PERFORMS, WE WIN

Ahmed_B
January 23, 2005, 12:19 PM
Ya.. probably in ODI this ZIM team and BD r much closer sides than TESTs.. and they showed their strengths too already!

The reason is probably that this very team has been playing ODI for long now already.. wheras the TEST series was the very first that this new side played.

But BD is still a better team and more likely to win most of the games.

Best of luck! :up:

Imran
January 23, 2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Blah
There are so many other things to consider.

1) There were four changes inthe team, including two players who where few of the most strongest side of the team. (masri, rafique) Apart from their bowling their batting would have most certainly made a differance in this game.

2) We were chasing in this game. Even india got screwed chasing a smaller target against us. Chasing is never easy on a day-night match in a dhaka pitch. For any team.

3) Too much changes inthe team in short time causes lapse in performance as a team.

4) Two players came back to the team after a long break. Alok and razzak.

I think we were a bit un-lucky in the first game and will bounce back strongly in the last four games.

What the selector needs to do is select the strongest possible combination instead of making too much change too often, and playing half-assed "allrounders" (alok kapali) despite continual poor performance.

What the players needs to do is get their s-h-i-t together and perform to their potential which is much better than their last performance.

what US the expectators needs to do is keep faith in the team, when they perform good also when they perform below our expectation. Loosing one game is not the end of the world, as much as we would love it to happen they won't win every game they play, we need to understand that and move on with hope for the next game.

Blah
:flag::flag:

Blah, good points. Except number 2, I mentioned your points in my post. I do not want to be pessimistic and I really want our selectors to keep faith on whoever they have chosen for the ODI team, so that they do not constantly chop players off the team.
With all the given conditions and available players from our 14 players list, it would be really hard to beat Zbwe at this point. That is just reality.I started this post as a lot of wrote off Zbwe in ODI.

Dhakablues
January 23, 2005, 01:13 PM
2nd match,,, BD will win. And so will few more.. there will be hiccups but that doesnt tell you the talents of the BD team. Day light game is not easy nor is chasing it in 2nd innings. Not to mention the psychological 'holiday' mood of the players...thinking we have 5 games to play..The same team can beat Zim any time, I believe... There was no fluke.

With Mashrafee, Enamul to return, CTG being a spinning wicket and hoping that Bashar is not too worried about his match fees.... We will win next 2-3 matches. Taking the series is still in reach only if BD shows the same passion they did against India.

arafath79
January 23, 2005, 04:24 PM
If Bd wins in the 2nd OdI they will definitely win the series and it will be 4-1.:fanflag:

amra_korbo_joy
January 23, 2005, 04:38 PM
Insha allah Bangladesh will win. I would love to see Ashraful makes century.
And Enamul takes atleast 5 wickets.

Scandicricketer
January 23, 2005, 06:40 PM
It will be not that easy.Zims are much better ODI side.They showed it at Dhaka.They outclassed us in all department of the game.Three of our top order batsmen got new life when they were grassed but not a single batsmen avail those chances or it cost much to the Zim.Hope BD will show the team spirit as they showed in the Test Series.Its time to bring back Enamul instead of Razzak who really bowled poorly.

ibnul
January 24, 2005, 05:33 AM
We have just lost the second match. I feel so depressed. What is wrong with them.

Spitfire_x86
January 24, 2005, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by ibnul
We have just lost the second match. I feel so depressed. What is wrong with them.
The question should be: Was anything ever right with them??

It's impossible to beleive that this team has won a match against India only 1 month ago

Edited on, January 24, 2005, 10:43 AM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

bdmoderator
January 24, 2005, 06:01 AM
We have 0% chance to win the series. But we can win 1/2 ODI.

Imran
January 24, 2005, 09:28 AM
I feel so good that I started this thread. I know our ODI team is not goin in the right direction. Selectors are playing like child, remember lil mistake can cause you serious damage in cricket match.

AsifTheManRahman
January 24, 2005, 09:31 AM
we are still ICC standard in ODI's