PDA

View Full Version : An interesting article on seaming the ball

RazabQ
January 23, 2005, 03:28 PM
http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/story.jsp?story=603801

Angus Fraser - one of the premier seam bowlers of the recent past, talks about how to make the ball seam. I must say that my personal experience goes more with Caddick's.

Piranha
January 23, 2005, 09:16 PM
Hmm....very interesting article indeed.

Through my limited experince with medium pace bowling (and limited talent too!), my observations with swing/seam are:

1) If the conditions are conducive, I am quite confident of the direction of movement as far swing is concerned. I think, 7 times out 10, I can swing the ball in the direction that I want it to.

Swing depends a lot on the grip and release as well as slight variations on the action. When I tried a more side-on action and bowl full, I used to get a lot of inswing. (My dream delivery has always been to reproduce Waqar's inswinging yorker). However, with a more relaxed open chested action, I could control outswing.

These things are sometime easier to control than getting the ball to land on the seam.

2) I am much less confident about seaming the ball. I remember that getting a natural and consistent seam movement (as opposed to awkward movement off a bad pitch) required considerable control and a *lot* of confidence. I could manage it only occasionally, even in good conditions.

As far the discussion about Caddick goes, if my memory serves me right, he was mostly a swing bowler who could also seam the ball; while Ambrose was more of a traditional seam bowler.

So as far as 'control' goes, I think Caddick could control the swing portion well, but not necessarily the swing portion.

Anyhow, thats my 2 cents on the dicussion, and my 'solution' as to how Caddick though he could control the movement while Walsh/Ambrose could not.

Sham
January 23, 2005, 09:50 PM
you defy conventional wisdom, which is that side-on bowling action will result in outswing, while a more chest-on action will cause in-swing. With my side-on action, i could always bowl outswing, but never any in-swing. Waqar on the other hand, could bowl both with his exaggerated side-on action, which is very rare.

Having played with and against you, I think your inswing deliveries are a result of your grip on the ball and your wrist action, rather than the position of your body at delivery.

As for Caddick, he could be called a swing bowler and a seam bowler. His natural ball was of course the away swinger, but I've seen him bowl deliveries that hit the seam and come in, cutting right handers in half and creating a lot of problems for the left-handers. He probably had a particular grip with the seam position as such that it would cause the ball to come in to the right-hander. However, I don't buy it that he could make the ball seam in the direction that he intended more times than not.

RazabQ
January 24, 2005, 01:06 AM
To add to you guys, swing is also something that seems natural. As a left I can get the ball to swing in w/o doing anything at all, and if fact I have to work at bowling a straight ball. The seam part, I am able to consistently get it to nip in when I am can keep the seam upright but for the one to move away - oita jhoray bogay :)

Good to see fellow practitioners on the board. Anyway I prefer swing bowling anyway - akram is my hero after all :)