PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Ashraful?

DJ Sahastra
January 24, 2005, 11:54 AM
Suddenly he seems to have forgotten how to bat. And this when the rest of the BD team is doing quite well with the bat.

Can someone explain this slump? What are your observations from the actual match, since my inference is purely on the data provided from match report.

Is there any genuine technical problem or is he just throwing his wicket away?

Fazal
January 24, 2005, 11:59 AM
Recently he is throwing his wicket that's true...

But he is also holding the wicket too long before throwing it away...

Ash 31 ball faced scored 13 runs.

Sham
January 24, 2005, 12:03 PM
I think Ashraful is trying to hard to be responsible, play sensible long innings etc etc, which obviously isn't working for him. He just needs to play his natural game, which is attacking, and if he gets out a few times in the process, thats fine, atleast there will also be times when he takes the opposition bowling apart. What he is doing right now is not achieving anything really!

Spitfire_x86
January 24, 2005, 12:17 PM
Ashraful is back to the "visa system" of BD players. 1 good innings = Visa for 2 series.

After playing well in both tests against India and having a decent ODI series against them, I thought he's getting out of the visa series. He has proved all of us wrong. Now we're seeing the "post world record" spoiled Ashraful again.

Spitfire_x86
January 24, 2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Sham
I think Ashraful is trying to hard to be responsible, play sensible long innings etc etc, which obviously isn't working for him. He just needs to play his natural game, which is attacking, and if he gets out a few times in the process, thats fine, atleast there will also be times when he takes the opposition bowling apart. What he is doing right now is not achieving anything really!
I also think so :up:

Hope he and BD team management realize that soon.

mahbubH
January 24, 2005, 12:39 PM
After 158, one of the Ash's comments was "I am mature now" .... that says all!

rafiq
January 24, 2005, 12:49 PM
the aggressive-minded on the team - nafis, bashar, ashraful - all face the same issue of how to be more responsible yet continue to play their natural game. Bashar did not get a 4 until the 50th delivery yesterday - that 90 run partnership with Nafis was as good as any ODI partnership I have seen from BD recently, until it all fell apart in the space of 2 balls.

Bahsar was under tremendous pressure to fix hi ODI game as his average sucks. Same with Nafis. Both have had a few decent innings recently - settling in and then going for the strokes. Bashar, being more mature (no pun intended), may have been able to adjust his game. Ashraful may still be caught in two minds.

Navarene
January 24, 2005, 01:04 PM
I think Ashraful is trying to hard to be responsible, play sensible long innings etc etc, which obviously isn't working for him. He just needs to play his natural game..
The problem lies exactly there. The superb 158* is still taking its toll on Ashraful's batting. Seems like he always has this mental pressure to score big runs whenever he comes to bat. Fan's expectation's gone high and he just can't handle the pressure in the middle.

I wish somebody would tell him to put aside the thought of a "must hit a big innings" every time he walks in and just play his natural shots and enjoy the game. He should also watch the video clip of his epic 158 again and again to regain his lost confident.

Ahmed_B
January 24, 2005, 01:13 PM
Frankly speaking.. Ashraful has fallen in an emotional trap very badly!

Very likely to happen.. when u suddenly achieve something(158*) far above your expectation (not above quality) and then start to really underestimate the 'Hard Work' you had to do for it... and start thinking it was & will alway be something you deserved naturally.. and you change your judgement abuot yourself overnight!! :umm:

The next thing that happens is reality hits u back with a series of embarrassments (his next 9-10 innings averaging around 15 probably).. and u suddenly find yourself with extreme feeling of 'Insecurity' which takes away all the 'Life' out of you & your natural game!!! :duh:

I suppose he had been in this same mental trap since his record-breaking 100 on debut... unfortunately it took him very long to get through the 'Aftershock'!!

Beamer
January 24, 2005, 01:36 PM
I still think he will get a century in this series...

mzia
January 24, 2005, 01:50 PM
Today he was playing well. Defense was not bad. He was playing with singles with Rana and giving strike to Rana. Today’s his out was not silly, tall Taylor with the help of jump took catch maximum 5 feet from rope. Tough luck. He is okay but need guidance in the field.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2005, 02:01 PM
Ashraful will be back. Very soon. He isn't out of form. Many of those small innings showed potential for a big one.

tutul
January 24, 2005, 02:06 PM
ashraful eakta bandor!
bandor ta tel makha bas 5" baya uthla 10" pichlaya pora.
ai kotha agao koichi, ohon abar koilam. asa kori akhon sobai clear.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2005, 02:20 PM
ashole shob batsmen ee bandor. hokkoleri baash baia uthbar laage. Tendulkar jemon onek upre uitha gese, her porte shomoy lagbo, hei rokom ar ki. Problem hoilo gia amgo playergo bash goola beshi toilakto. Problem to hoilo bhaishab tell-er jonno. Amra kuno player bhalo korlei emon tell mara shuru kori je baash gooli baaibar upojukto thake na.

jeesh
January 24, 2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Beamer
I still think he will get a century in this series... :lol:

DJ Sahastra
January 24, 2005, 02:59 PM
Ashraful er Paglar babar mazar er pani pora_o :lol:

Ekta Century Maara Dorkar :D

DotBall
January 24, 2005, 03:00 PM
If it was any other batsman we wouldn't have had such a concerned discussion, but it is Ashraful we are talking about. His sporadic batting brilliance had made us hopeful of finding a world class match winning batsman in our side.

All through his career so far he has been able to live up to it. Fiery innings once out of 10 is only a 10% consistency. He was head over hills with his comments after the 158* and if he could back it up then we wouldn’t be talking about it now. It is very difficult to sit here and try to figure out what is wrong with his batting because only he knows what is going through his head. He seems to know how to play almost all shots in the book (but doesn’t seem to know when to play it), but still he manages to make him look like a raw talent without any professionalism.

We can’t afford a 10% commitment from him. He is not Tendulkar, he is not Dravid either but he can be damn good batsman if he can comprehend his strength and his short comings. We need him and I hope he finds a way to fix himself soon.

shujan
January 24, 2005, 03:05 PM
Good job DJ.

Please somebody tell ash to play his natural game. He doesn't need to be mature. Just play his crazy 124 ball 100 test style batting. Let the other 10 players be mature. Ash be crazy.

Fazal
January 24, 2005, 06:16 PM
Technically there is nothing wrong with Ash. Its all mental.

Ash should follow Nafis and get married asap.

BD Tigers
January 24, 2005, 06:31 PM
amar mone hoi Ash raag korse on Bashar cause bashar is not giving him any bowling. He likes to bowl a lot and since he's not doing it..hes making Bashar pay and when Bashar gets sacked from captaincy..Ash will get it ....yea ...:fire:

(urbor moshtisker kalponik kotha..no source)

Ehsan
January 24, 2005, 07:30 PM

Can't agree more! Ashraful really needs to play his natural game.

sadi
January 24, 2005, 09:07 PM
i think its time he starts playing his natural game...he tried to act mature and it didnt help......let him act crazy again and lets see wat happens...i m sure we can see some fireworks...this is the time...now or never..... we need him most now..

cisco-guy
January 24, 2005, 09:47 PM
I fully agree. Ash needs to play his natural game. Also, I think Ash should play as the 3rd batsman before Habibul Bashar. The skipper is slowing down the game. In a 50 overs ODI, you need to pay attention to the run rate.

nasifkhan
January 24, 2005, 11:02 PM
Stupid ...worthlesss.....Selfish...

bourny3
January 25, 2005, 12:07 AM
hmmm he did make 44 in the last ODI didnt he.

cricketfan
January 25, 2005, 12:32 AM
In this series, Taibu has failed just once(in the second innings of first test) and he has made big totals in every innings ever since. His batting colleagues such as Taylor, Chigumbura etc are also emulating their captain. BD batsmen, on the other hand make big total just once and then stop scoring for a long time.

Ashraful, after a 150+ knock against India just cannot seem to click. Taibu, on the other hand, after his 150+ knock against BD just cannot seem to fail.

PoorFan
January 25, 2005, 12:34 AM
What is the meaning of play his natural game? I don't think it's a solution for his slump.
If he plays his natural play, that means there is no improve,
and also means some spark here and there and get out of form again.
Better it's wise for him to learn from Nafis,
how to settle down in a game and how to set up a good innings consistently.
Once he learn to do that, he may pore his extra talent after setting up a good innings everytime.
This will make his career better for sure, but he is just spoiling his career by not taking it seriously.

rafiq
January 25, 2005, 12:55 AM
maybe the boy needs a girlfriend or a wife?

Flip Master Mick
January 25, 2005, 01:53 AM
maybe we expect too much from the little master... Moreover, his performance in ODIs has so far been sub par to say the least. We just cannot expect him to replicate his 158 not out performance against India each and every time he picks up the willow for BD, especially in ODIs. Being reliable is not his forte and if you guys watched the player interviews after the test win he seems to be the most immature out of the lot. the kid cannot even speak fluently... he still speaks with a teenage drawl... Our expectations are putting unnecessary pressure on the boys. We have dramatically picked up our performance in the recent past and it could only get better. Keep the faith!

fwullah
January 25, 2005, 02:30 AM
Ashraful just asking to be dropped one full series (test & ODI) for 1 month (and no 'A' tours or U-21 tours or BCB XI tours in that 1 month).

PoorFan
January 25, 2005, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Flip Master Mick
...We just cannot expect him to replicate his 158 not out performance against India each and every time he picks up the willow for BD....if you guys watched the player interviews after the test win he seems to be the most immature out of the lot. the kid cannot even speak fluently... he still speaks with a teenage drawl... Our expectations are putting unnecessary pressure on the boys. We have dramatically picked up our performance in the recent past and it could only get better. Keep the faith!
Nobody expect him to perform each and every game like he did against India ( 158 not out ).
Being most immature out of lot, cannot even speak fluently, speaks with a teenage drawl is nothing credit for him, to be a class cricketer.
These are the things which will not improve when he simply get older! It just his personality and his own inability, not his young age problem.
Now a days in sports, 20+ age is not a kid, lot more better than a kid like Ashraful.
There is no choice for him but to learn and build himself as a consistent performer,
without wasting any time and he has that potential and ability I believe.
Still he is young, let him play his natural play, bla bla is not and will not help him for his best, we should stop that.

If our expectations are putting unnecessary pressure on these boys against this Zimbabwe, what else should we expect from them?
If it is a pressure they cant bear with, what kind of pressure is bearable to them?
Unless they work hard and learn fast from each mistake,
things will not change whether we keep faith on them or not.

Ahmed_B
January 25, 2005, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by rafiq

:D
.. just maybe.. ;)

Zobair
January 25, 2005, 08:11 AM
methinks the boy has ADHD! have you noticed how restless he is while batting...his eyes are all over the place...too many ticks...am kidding of course! ;)

arafath79
January 25, 2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
Suddenly he seems to have forgotten how to bat. And this when the rest of the BD team is doing quite well with the bat.

Can someone explain this slump? What are your observations from the actual match, since my inference is purely on the data provided from match report.

Is there any genuine technical problem or is he just throwing his wicket away?

Ashraful and Aftab should be kicked out of national team for playing the local league matches!!!!

arafath79
January 25, 2005, 08:36 AM

Yes, u r right. But I don't he will be able to play his natural game now!!!!:umm:
In the mean time laathi maira shalare bair kora dorkar!:E:mad:

DJ Sahastra
January 25, 2005, 02:48 PM
"In the mean time laathi maira shalare bair kora dorkar"

This is a cool one ... this is a cool one :bravo::great:

ZunaidH
January 25, 2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by rafiq

Rafiq has a valid point there.

amra_korbo_joy
January 25, 2005, 05:00 PM
Ashraful can not take pressure. This is the only problem. With maturity this shd go away.

Bat-PadTogether
January 25, 2005, 06:55 PM
Maybe too much pressure after the 158 against India in the Test? He should play his natural game!Wish him to do better in the remaining games because Bangladesh are in "Do Or Die" position!!!:fanflag:

Fazal
January 26, 2005, 12:15 AM
One more missed opportunity by Ash the fool.

aosaif
January 26, 2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Navarene
I think Ashraful is trying to hard to be responsible, play sensible long innings etc etc, which obviously isn't working for him. He just needs to play his natural game..
The problem lies exactly there. The superb 158* is still taking its toll on Ashraful's batting. Seems like he always has this mental pressure to score big runs whenever he comes to bat. Fan's expectation's gone high and he just can't handle the pressure in the middle.

I wish somebody would tell him to put aside the thought of a "must hit a big innings" every time he walks in and just play his natural shots and enjoy the game. He should also watch the video clip of his epic 158 again and again to regain his lost confident.

I agree. I think it would be good if whatmore told ash to just aim to get about 40 runs of 60 balls. If he reaches that....then he can set his sights on 60 runs....70 runs.....85 runs....and so on. It would be a better mental approach to take into that game than always thnking "i've got to score a century today.

bop
January 26, 2005, 03:14 AM
Ash is more of a populer prayer than good batsman.. ppl just give him too much cradit.

Pagla_Baba
January 26, 2005, 06:24 AM
I think ash is tryin` too hard. Before playin` against india he played his "natural game" ending up scoring 4 runs from 2 balls. 1st a glamorous 4 and out in the next one. Then he played patient and made the big score. Now... he tries to be patient and misses and when trying to play natural he misses as well. I think he is in a dillema what to do.

shujan
January 26, 2005, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Pagla_Baba
I think ash is tryin` too hard. Before playin` against india he played his "natural game" ending up scoring 4 runs from 2 balls. 1st a glamorous 4 and out in the next one. Then he played patient and made the big score. Now... he tries to be patient and misses and when trying to play natural he misses as well. I think he is in a dillema what to do.

He will overcome it. He will play nice in England.

Mon
January 26, 2005, 12:22 PM
Ash is the hot headed man. But i think he will calm down after he gets married. We need the Nafis treatment for him! :)
:flag:

Edited on, January 26, 2005, 5:22 PM GMT, by Mon.

ZaKi
January 26, 2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mon
Ash is the hot headed man. But i think he will calm down after he gets married. We need the Nafis treatment for him! :)
:flag:

Edited on, January 26, 2005, 5:22 PM GMT, by Mon.

:D:D... yeah lets try this treatment...:D:D

CTazim
January 26, 2005, 01:51 PM
Pride cometh before destruction. Ash needs to learn to be humble-even when he wants to show his utmost agression on the field- actually it is true for any athelete.. Humility starts with never underestimating the opponents intellect & abilities. I think success will automatically follow.

Azim

Fazal
January 26, 2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by shujan
He will overcome it. He will play nice in England.

which year? You didn't mean this year, right?

bhobishshot
January 26, 2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by bop
Ash is more of a populer prayer than good batsman.. ppl just give him too much cradit.

I don't think so. Several coaches, including Dav and McInnes, have said it repeatedly that he is talented. And he has proven that at least a couple of time.

I think he will be ok over time.

cisco-guy
January 26, 2005, 09:33 PM
Don't discount Ashraful yet! He will come bigger than what he was before. He has all the potential. He started with a SIX, didn't he? He just needs to get settled a bit and then needs to play his natural game.

roaring tigerz
January 26, 2005, 09:51 PM
in spite of ashraful's seemingly lack of temperament and inconsistency the fact remains he is the best batsman Bangladesh has and that too by a long shot. i really believe he is due for a big one before this series ends.

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 2:52 AM GMT, by roaring tigerz.

DJ Sahastra
January 27, 2005, 11:41 AM
"in spite of ashraful's seemingly lack of temperament and inconsistency the fact remains he is the best batsman Bangladesh has and that too by a long shot."

He should consider himself extremely lucky that he represents a side that is yet to find quick replacements.

For all his batting skills and technique, any other team and he would've been a history long time ago.

He should think about it and clean his muddled head. He needs to start contributing more often than what he does for now.