PDA

View Full Version : Batting Maestro's

jeesh
January 24, 2005, 12:13 PM
We have been very lucky to see such great batsmen in the last decade- Tendulkar, Lara, Steve Waugh. But with these players reaching that age (Waugh already retired) we have to start looking forward to the upcoming crop of players. But unfortunately its very hard to see any batsmen coming near these three batsmen in the coming 10 years or so. I guess its true Heroes are Born, they cant be made. But for the good of world cricket i hope there will be someone.
At the moment the only batsmen who seem like becoming a great batsman (i dont mean breaking records or sth) is Michael Clarke. Andrew Strauss of England is another hot prospect, but i am not too sure of his consistency. Salman Butt, Papps and a few others seem like decent prospects but way short of what we need! Will the cricket world run out of these batting maestros?

bourny3
January 24, 2005, 11:41 PM
Brendon Taylor looks a likely prospect also. Jeesh we can only wait and see what happens. You forgot to include Dravid in the batting Maestros.

AsifTheManRahman
January 25, 2005, 09:32 AM
Brendon Taylor? that's way too big a prediction man! :)

Spitfire_x86
January 25, 2005, 10:55 AM
Michael Clarke is the next Ricky Ponting for Australia

jeesh
January 25, 2005, 11:08 AM
Brendan Taylor looks quite good. But the thing is unless you have a really good domestic structure your players will not develop beyond a certain point. Given Zimbabwe's weak first class structure, its very hard to see Taylor coming near the other big name batsmen.

jeesh
January 25, 2005, 11:10 AM
Michael Clarke can go beyond Ricky Ponting. Both started off at a similar age, but Clarke looks the more consistent and the type a team can depend on.

AsifTheManRahman
January 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
how about some of the sri lankans? mahela and sangakarra for instance. they still have a lot of time to become "great" :)

jeesh
January 26, 2005, 11:17 AM
Hmmm but these Srilankan batsmen have immense talent but have never really matured. I mean i dont expect any of the current batsmen to come any where near some one like De Silva. I think Mahela is in his late 20's right? Sangakarra seems a good prospect, but then again he has just been a flashy agressive batsman. Maybe he can mature and become a more consistent batter.

AsifTheManRahman
January 26, 2005, 11:20 AM
it's probably the nature of the game these days that is preventing the birth of such batting maestro's. today's cricket is a lot faster and result oriented - u don't see ppl batting out 2 days scoring 300 if it hampers the team's chance of a win. there is a sense of urgency in both odi and test cricket which adds to the competitiveness of the game and prevents the growth of potential memorable innings.

bourny3
January 28, 2005, 03:21 AM
How about the Bangladeshis. Ash has time to become great. lol

AsifTheManRahman
January 28, 2005, 10:29 AM
u must be kidding...hehe

jeesh
January 28, 2005, 12:00 PM
Ashraful had a heck of lot of talent. But over the years he hasnt matured. Time? Well thats one thing he has. But hes gotta work a lot on his game to become a figure in international cricket!

cisco-guy
January 28, 2005, 12:03 PM
Here are few more names:

Gautam Gambhir - India
Yaseer Hamid - Pakistan
Taufeeq Umar - Pakistan

jeesh
January 30, 2005, 12:12 PM
Well Cisco Guy, i dont see these guys becoming anything near GR8. All of them have done well in their domestic leagues, but the international stage is a completely different ball game. These batsmen are hardly consistent. So its very unlikely...

Ahmed_B
January 30, 2005, 12:55 PM
jeesh: If u name Brendon Taylor.. u have to name a few from BD as well, who can compete with him:)

But frankly.. this is probably a discussion about Guys who can Break the mega-records... and yes, with a whole new generation coming, it's hard to predict it already.

Good number of analysts had high remarks on Ashraful.. but he has yet to prove a lot.
Aftab is probably another kid who has started making sense.. lets see how far he goes.

But frankly.. no one from any of the Nations has yet proven to be perfect predecessor of the likes of Sachin/Dravid/Lara/Waugh

Shehwar
January 30, 2005, 02:11 PM
As for batting Maestros are concerned...Jeesh buddy, u forgot to include big burly Inzamam.....The guy is my favourite international batsman & has been for the last decade...

Hmm..Well.. I feel Michael Clarke will go a long long way....& might go on to break all sorts of Australian records...Mohammad Kaif...when & if he starts playin test cricket on a regular basis....How old is Gibbs...?....Hez pretty good....& I thought M Samuels from the West Indies was a real talent...How come he ain't that regular in the squad...?.....And who else...?...Oh yeah..I like the look of Salman Butt as well....Cheers ppl..

bourny3
January 31, 2005, 07:32 AM
Samuels was struggling with Knee Injuries over the last couple of years. Strauss may be a batting maestro. I was kidding on the Ash thing as well.
Salman is a real talent. He will be good.

jeesh
January 31, 2005, 12:51 PM
Inzamam and Tendulkar started off together. It was predicted both of them would become great batsmen. As Tendulkar marched on, Inzy lagged behind. But still he is a great batsman and has been a great servant to Paki cricket. Gibbs is probably around 30. Mohammad Kaif is very impressive, but is unlikely to get into the test fold for a hile. Steve Waugh rated Samuels really high. But he has struggled.

bourny3
January 31, 2005, 11:14 PM
Inzy hasnt really Lagged behind. especially in ODIs he has scored over 10,000 ODI runs. that isnt that poor.

jeesh
February 2, 2005, 11:52 AM
But can you compare him with Waugh, Tendulkar and Lara! Hes too inconsistent and undpredictable.

bourny3
February 2, 2005, 07:30 PM
That is true. you have a point with inconsistency

Ameer
February 2, 2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by jeesh
But can you compare him with Waugh, Tendulkar and Lara! Hes too inconsistent and undpredictable.

In tests, no he is a rank below them there. But in ODIs, I think he should be up there with Tendulkar and Lara. Not better then them but among them. Not only his average of forty but his current form is better then both Tendulkar's and Lara's. Lara just produces an amazing innings every 3-4 matches. Other then that, he performs just okay.

You talk about consistency, but Inzamam has become consistent lately. Just look at this current VB series.

So in ODIs, I rank him in the top tier. In tests, he is a tier below them.

Ameer
February 2, 2005, 07:41 PM
Right now, I rank Lara ahead of Tendulkar. Overall, Tendulkar is better though.

ralam468
February 4, 2005, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure if he's the best but, Adam Gilchrist is the most entertaining batsman I have ever seen. He's just awesome.

ralam468
February 4, 2005, 12:46 AM
Gilchrist has a 81.96 strikerate in Tests. I think that's a record. If Ian Healy were not there, Gilly would have broken all the records.

Ameer
February 4, 2005, 07:23 PM
Gilly is a really entertaining batsmen but he ain't great. Just really good. But if you add in his wicket keeping skills, he is a great. Right now, he is in my top five cricketers.

Inzy hits yet another fifty... so much for you guys saying he wasn't consistent.

chyicarus
February 5, 2005, 11:02 AM
Well Inzama is no doubt Mr. Consistent. but the fact is- he needs to convert his bagfull of 50's into hundreds- but he's not as selfish as Tendulkar. In fact, I don't mean to criticise Tendulkar, but some of his innings slowed down after getting 50's simply becoz he wanted to reach another century, another milestone.
But Inzi's just the opposite- he tries everything for his team.
I do believe that technically Tendulkar and/or Dravid is the best batsmen ever, but my votes goes to Ricky and after he retires- will pass onto Clarkey!
Tendulkar has fewer second innings centuries in Tests, while Lara is the other way around, he has more second innings centuries in Tests, which means he won more Tests with his second innings batting! And no- India didn't win that many Test by an innings!