PDA

View Full Version : Nafis - his growth - Lets talk positive a little.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2005, 02:11 PM
The kid is learning fast. He deserves his own thread here guys.

What do you think about his growth in these 2 serieses?

Ibrahim
January 24, 2005, 02:18 PM
He is one of the highly potential players in BD team.

Fazal
January 24, 2005, 02:22 PM
:up:

I am so happy what is happening to Nafis. I am pretty sure, once he gains more experience and BD other batsman play more consistently, he will play more aggressively when/if the team needs to accelerate run rate.

I am more happy that now Javed is no longer in our one-day team plan!.

Edited on, January 24, 2005, 8:15 PM GMT, by Fazal.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Ibrahim
He is one of the highly potential players in BD team.

They say that about every player. It doesn't mean anything anymore.

jeesh
January 24, 2005, 02:24 PM
Nafis doesnt have all the shots in the book like Ashraful does. But he definitely learns and thinks.!

al
January 24, 2005, 03:13 PM
right temperment is the key. nafis is showing that he has that. hopefully he can keep it that way for a long time to come

howzatt!
January 24, 2005, 03:34 PM
unlike ashraful, nafis is learning to be consistent.

BangladeshFan
January 24, 2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by jeesh
Nafis doesnt have all the shots in the book like Ashraful does. But he definitely learns and thinks.!

it is not good to have all shots in the book especially if one doesnt know when to use what. he thinks himself of very highly but he is simply not that good.

i dont know why ashraful is rated so highly, he can play the pacers ok but some of his dismissals against spinners seems ridiculous......... specially the "loppa" catches he has given back to sarwan....... makes me think the guy doesnt even know to play spin:flag:

feisal
January 24, 2005, 06:27 PM
I first saw Nafis in a under 19 or 16 competition where we got beaten in the final.. .. Ashraful was also in the side.. my first feeling was ashraful plays in the air a lot.. and Nafis's feet does was not move..Ashraful's bowling was also impressive..(that was the competition where a unknown pace bowler came in and struck a 9 ball 30 or something... arrival of Mashrafi)

Some years have gone by.. and it is really apleasure to follow how Nafis has matured and become akey member of the side. I think he has already played some outstanding innings in both the form of cricket.. his century against england in BKSP was a stunner and put him into the one day side.. and his last test innings is probably the MOST important innings in our short history..let us face it.. batting five session in fourth innings to save a test match is almost unheard of....... and no one thought that it would be HIM who would lead the way......

His approach against the south africans in england was also remarkable.. he looked to be class apart from the rest of the players.. and played his stroke effortlessly..

I also had the good fortune to see his 50 plus knock against the Pathan and co.. he really was solid and played well...where everyone was struggling against the Pathan's incoming delivery.. I also think his second test innings against NZ where he was run out for 49 promised much more.. i was following it through cricket info.. other notable mention is the 70/80 ball century against Ireland and some good innings as apart of under 19..

Overall, it is safe to say that we, at last have an opener who will deliver...
One caveat is the way he gets out... here are some instances..

1. against south africa in egbaston, he got out charging Boje after he hit him for two fours in the same over!!!!

2. his run out in the debut test.. when he and ashraful was looking in complete control...

in last one year, Nafees's stability must be the most significant gain for us.. along with Enamul off course..

sadi
January 24, 2005, 09:35 PM
the century he scored against zimbabwe was one of the best century from a bangladeshi no doubt. i used to think he has no patience and likes to play shots all the time. But I m glad to see how he is pacing his innings nowadays. Better than Ash thats for sure.

bourny3
January 24, 2005, 11:58 PM
At least he is gettting consistent.

PoorFan
January 24, 2005, 11:58 PM
It seems like Nafis has the ability to learn and utilize.
Nice to see he is getting matured instead of someone called most talented.
There is no meaning of talent if don't know how and when to use it with good sense.
Hope Aftab also learn like Nafis and shows the difference of class to those useless talented players.

Flip Master Mick
January 25, 2005, 02:03 AM
now... let's not start worshipping him like mohammed ashraful...

btw... his fiance is well into her twenties... how old does that make him?;)

not that it means anything but we have to be careful about what we expect from players' potential... remember a 19 year old has the capacity to absorb more than a 24 year old, especially when it comes to batting technique...

nonetheless, :bravo: to my fellow Chatgaiya...

Edited on, January 25, 2005, 7:06 AM GMT, by Flip Master Mick.

arafath79
January 25, 2005, 08:40 AM
It is not easy to play against the new ball. Nafis is doing very well as a opner. After Rajin Saleh he is showing the consistency.

Ahmed_B
January 25, 2005, 09:00 AM
As far as I hav read in the writings about him... he is one of the most systematically prepared player of BD team.. both in terms of Cricket training and Academic background.

Alongside the natural skills of a player... his self-discipilne definitely helps the 'mental game' of cricket... and nafis may become one good example of that.

Let's hope he keeps his eyes on building a very long career & works hard for it too.. something which lacks highly amongst so many of our promising Talents!

mahbubH
January 25, 2005, 09:27 AM
His flicks are pretty wristy .. nice to watch ... though I did not like the way he got out in the first ODI. Yes, his innings of the 2nd test is most important test innings for Bangladesh so far!

AsifTheManRahman
January 25, 2005, 09:30 AM
i was going to post something similar on nafis a few days ago, but didn't get the time to. yes, i have observed his improvement, and i must say that he is pretty underrated with respect to what he has been doing for the last couple of months. everyone talks about ashraful, bashar and so on, but somehow, nafis' deeds are overlooked most of the time. i must say that he is the most capable BD batsman in terms of learning; and yes, he is indeed one of the most systematically prepared player in the team - he was played in the U-19 and A teams for a long time before being thrown into the national team, which was a very sensible and ideal decision by the selectors.

take my word - nafis may not be as talented as ash, but he definitely has the ability to do stuff that ash can't even dream of in the future.

Fazal
January 25, 2005, 11:11 AM
I am not a Javed Fan.

However I have to admit that, I feel that Javed had a +ve influence/contribution to Nafis's recent success so far; specially his recent improvement in test matchs.

Edited on, January 25, 2005, 4:12 PM GMT, by Fazal.

offcutter
January 25, 2005, 11:21 AM
Nafis's century in the second test against Zim was significant in many ways;

1. First time ever one of our batsmen stayed at the crase for 5 five sessions in the fourth innings.

2. He didn't lose his way after getting the century-unlike Bashar, who has 3 centuries yet his highest score is 113(?) or something similar. He stayed at the crease more than an hour after completing his century. Which means the century alone wasn't his goal-he played for the team and to save the match.

3. His adoptability according to the team's needs at that moment. He is a natural stroke player yet restricted himself severly in order to ensure the match was saved.

4. His improvement has been consistant and I think if he gets proper and consistant guidance he'll improve further.

It is important, howeve, not to get carried away with this. We've seen this many many times before how our players don't ralize thier full potential.

GOOD LUCK NAFIS