PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating Mediocrity

rafiq
January 26, 2005, 01:38 AM
I am tired of celebrating mediocrity. For the last several years, I have stayed up long nights following mediocre cricket like I was a teenager with nothing to do the next day but sleep in. All because of purported love for the game and an immigrant's longing for a distant nation.

Hearing the collapse on the audio feed from 149/1 to 244/9, I realized how little there is left to say about this team and our cricket. All that needs to be said has already been said, and then some. It's now just time to shut up and go away.

In time, they will hopefully give us more than mediocrity. But in the meantime, I just don't want to analyze this anymore.

Imran
January 26, 2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by rafiq
I am tired of celebrating mediocrity. For the last several years, I have stayed up long nights following mediocre cricket like I was a teenager with nothing to do the next day but sleep in. All because of purported love for the game and an immigrant's longing for a distant nation.

Hearing the collapse on the audio feed from 149/1 to 244/9, I realized how little there is left to say about this team and our cricket. All that needs to be said has already been said, and then some. It's now just time to shut up and go away.

In time, they will hopefully give us more than mediocrity. But in the meantime, I just don't want to analyze this anymore.

I feel the same way too. So many hours been spent already for my cricket passion and yet we are still so far away from any sort of international standard. I know a lot of our fans would frown their eye brows, but in reality where does your cricket really stand? For God's sake we are playing against a super depleted Zbwe team and look at the celebration we had for the maiden test victory! Is n't this victory supposed to be granted? And don't all of us think that our laid back efforts for the ODI were actually coming from our too much celebration of the test victory?

But players are not the only one to blame. Lack of strategies from the management point of view , aweful team selection and captain's foolish decision on the field cost us a lot .

1. Why was not Enamul selected in the first ODI though he was a real nightmare for the Zbwe team in test?

2. We had middle order collapse and yet we did nothing to fix it up. a)We could have sent Mashud at number 5 position easily, in too many games he was stranded not out or got out to go for big shots as he ran out of partners.
b)we could have selected Rokon who was another nightmare for zbwe (from practice match, who cares how he performed against other teams, our goal was to beat Zbwe at this point)
or Tushar to boost our middle order.

3. Even today why is Tapash not playing. He can contribute with the bat and today he could have been really useful. After Mahmud got out, we had 3 overs to go and none to play shots. Nazmul is a pretty decent bowler, but not that good with the bat and we already have Enamul who can't bat. With a doubtful middle order the last thing we need is a bad tail. This is just lack of thinking.

So many things , so many flaws, yet we might win against a minnow and then we would have lot of celebration and then downfall again when we play against a real team.