PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!!! this can't be true!!!: "Whatmore could throw his hat in for Indian coach’s post"

Hasib
January 27, 2005, 01:04 AM
Whatmore could throw his hat in for Indian coach’s post
(Cricket News)

9 January 2005

KOLKATA — It is learnt that Dave Whatmore, presently coaching Bangladesh, is keen to throw his hat in the ring to be India’s coach once the association of present coach John Wright ends in April next year.

New Zealander John Wright is certain to end his tenure as India’s coach after Pakistan’s tour of India is over in April. Pakistan is due to play three Tests and five one-dayers during their trip.

Wright, who has headed India for five years, contributed significantly towards India’s graph with commendable wins on home and foreign soil. But the performance of the team took a dip in 2004 and clamour has since grown for the removal of the affable New Zealander.

Apparently, an understanding has been reached with the board and Wright would severe his links with Indian team after the tour of Pakistan team.
Whatmore, who earlier was hailed for his role in Sri Lanka’s revival in mid-90s, has not had much to show for his effort in Bangladesh in the last couple of years but has earned worldwide respect as a coach.

Source: Khaleej Times (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=sports&xfile=data/sports/2005/January/sports_January131.xml)

is there any possible this information is false?!!! I mean... i can't find any other report on this... what worries me even more is that Whatmore's contract ends this year... its renewable for 2 more yrs... but what will we do if he doesn't?!!!

cricketfan
January 27, 2005, 01:11 AM
I think Wright was more suitable for India. The news of Whatmore as Indian coach was in air last month. I think McIness will make a good coach for BD if Whatmore decides to leave.

fab
January 27, 2005, 01:15 AM
If they do want to snatch him from us, the least they could do is spell is name correctly.

Hasib
so he really is interested in shifting to India? :(

DJ Sahastra
I would rather have Whatmore stick with the BD team.

I think he can make far greater contribution to the BD cricket than to the Indian cricket. A guy like Wright is a perfect replacement for Mr. Wright himself.

We really really really don't want him. And maybe Whatmore is quite content with his current job and doesn't want it either. This whole thing is a mere speculation.

Nasif
January 27, 2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Hasib
KOLKATA — It is learnt that Dave Whatmore, presently coaching Bangladesh, is keen to throw his hat in the ring to be India’s coach once the association of present coach John Wright ends in April next year.

This is how "gujob" news agency works. Pure imagination at work.

DJ Sahastra
January 27, 2005, 01:23 AM
Nasif,

The source is "Khaleej Times". It's NOT a Calcutta or Indian newspaper. It's a UAE newspaper, for god sake!!!

Nasif
January 27, 2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
Nasif,

The source is "Khaleej Times". It's NOT a Calcutta or Indian newspaper. It's a UAE newspaper, for god sake!!!

DJ:
I haven't remotely implied that India was behind this news. I just said it was a "gujob" (which means rumor). Thats all.

mahbubH
January 27, 2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by cricketfan
I think Wright was more suitable for India. The news of Whatmore as Indian coach was in air last month. I think McIness will make a good coach for BD if Whatmore decides to leave.
hey still we are not thinking anything other than DW

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 6:30 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

tutul
January 27, 2005, 01:44 AM
whatmore gala jaibo ga. ata kandonar ki acha? arokhom coach koto ailo ar galo...tai boila amra ki boya roichi ni?

shujan
January 27, 2005, 02:19 AM
I think this is a real possibility. If India wants him, the deal will be done. If Indian coach leave in April then It is highly probable that India may go for Whatmore. It is India's choice right now.

I think we better look for new coach.:(

AsifEminem
January 27, 2005, 02:27 AM
if Dave leaves, i wont b surprised.

SHABBA!!

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 7:27 AM GMT, by AsifEminem.

shujan
January 27, 2005, 02:30 AM
If India wants him he will be gone!

cricket_pagol
January 27, 2005, 02:32 AM
I don't think that whatmore would like to leave Bangladesh for india... Whatmore is the type of coach who loves challenges... bangladesh team provides the perfect challenge for him... DW is the perfect coach for emerging teams... india needs a coach like wright, woolmer or buchanan!

Also, since BD is improving i would think that the board will try its best to keep whatmore and whatmore wouldn't mind it either... So no worries guys!

:fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanf lag:

billah
January 27, 2005, 02:35 AM
He's staying 'til 2007 WC. That is what he said, not too long ago.

shujan
January 27, 2005, 02:43 AM
I can bet if India wants him which I think they will, He is going. Bangladesh offered him nothing. Bangladesh is destroying his reputation that he earned with Srilanka.

Tintin
January 27, 2005, 02:52 AM
I'll go with Cricketfan and DJ here.

Wright was a good partner for Ganguly - one a quiet guy who was good tactician, did things systematically and stayed in the background; the other a gutsy, extroverted man. I suspect that Whatmore's personality may clash with Ganguly's.

[BTW, Ranatunga's personality was like Ganguly's. Wonder what role Whatmore played there].

Whoever takes over from Wright will have a *very* tough job. India has done outstandingly in tests in the last four years and it will be almost impossible to sustain this level.

Coaching Bangladesh on the other hand is a job where there is little to lose and lot to gain.

habfreak
January 27, 2005, 02:59 AM
If i was whatmore, i would rather coach Bangladesh and see them grow as a team than deal with the pressure of coaching a high profile team like India. I hope whatmore will feel he same way.;)

shujan
January 27, 2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Tintin
I'll go with Cricketfan and DJ here.

Whoever takes over from Wright will have a *very* tough job. India has done outstandingly in tests in the last four years and it will be almost impossible to sustain this level.

Coaching Bangladesh on the other hand is a job where there is little to lose and lot to gain.

I think India's performance dip is not because of Wright. It is the decline of Sachin Tendulkar's form. I looked at the pwc rating of both Sachin and Dravid. Sachin is steadily declining and Dravid is holding on close to his peek. Sachin is a player who peaked during Wright coaching era. He was a psychological threat to the opponents. This kinda dominance helped other Indian batsman to push them higher. As sachin is declining so is the standard. Dravid need to pick up the leadership now and set higher standard for young cricketers.

shujan
January 27, 2005, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by habfreak
If i was whatmore, i would rather coach Bangladesh and see them grow as a team than deal with the pressure of coaching a high profile team like India. I hope whatmore will feel he same way.;)

I donot think Whatmore is afraid of challenge like that. I think he is drooling on that opportunity that his team (India) will compete with mighty Australia and can probably win.

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by shujan
I can bet if India wants him which I think they will, He is going. Bangladesh offered him nothing. Bangladesh is destroying his reputation that he earned with Srilanka.
:D.. maan! u r in huge PANIC! :P

Relax!
Just a few of my observations against this news:

#If Whatmore wants to leave, he will not be playing any hide and seek. And according to Whatmore himself.. he is currently only looking at taking BD to the 2007 WC.

#As I have seen, Whatmore is the kind of coach who likes challenges... and where else can he really find it than BD? Taking the challenge of putting BD to a higher level of cricket is the 'Most challenging' job in the market now.. I don't think he will miss out on that! and as our fellow frnd DJ mentioned here: "Coaching Bangladesh on the other hand is a job where there is little to lose and lot to gain."... fully agree! (And I am surely hopefull that he will succeed!)

#Finally, if whatmore leaves BD at this point.. it will only be taken as a 'Failure' assignment in his career.. no matter how much anyone wants to put the whole blame on BD alone! I don't think Whatmore will try to leave this team.. untill he puts BD to a fair level... atleast for the sake of his own reputation!

The rest is on Dav himself... but I am not worried!

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 8:24 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 03:21 AM

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 8:22 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Sham
January 27, 2005, 03:28 AM
I think it will be irresponsible for Whatmore to leave, simple as that. He came to Bangladesh as coach to take up a challenge, and surely, he knew from the outset that it would take more than two years to turn this side around. His contract really is for four years, but they always put in the two years and then renewable for a further two to give both sides some leeway, in case the coach doesn't really get on with the players/board/both etc etc. But since we know of no such problems, for Whatmore to give up on this assignment mid-way would be a cop out on his part, and I don't think Whatmore is known for that! He came here knowing that it would be a tough assignment and it is only fair that he gives it a fair shot, and I think even he would admit that leaving after two years wont constitute a fair shot!

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 03:37 AM
It's probably only a fake news..
Its un-necessary to accuse whatmore of 'irresponsibility' rightaway and start criticizing...

Besides.. even if Whatmore decides to leave... It's useless to Panic!.. Sooner or later he has to leave.. we better make our own plans for the long-term-improvement of our own cricket. There r other factors involved than 'whatmroe' himself.

Sham
January 27, 2005, 03:39 AM
Oh I was not accusing Whatmore of irresponsibility. What I was trying to say is, it would be a cop out and Whatmore is not known for that, ie he is very unlikely to go!

Hasib
January 27, 2005, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by shujan

I think he is drooling on that opportunity that his team (India) will compete with mighty Australia and can probably win.

he isn't Indian... he is a Sri Lankan Born Australian.

abu_akif
January 27, 2005, 08:32 AM
If Whatmore need to live, we have Faruq to coach the team. No worries guys..:clap:...

So he will bring all ''Shanto's back to the team..:joy:

akabir77
January 27, 2005, 08:33 AM
If dav goes alright thanks for every thing and good luck with your new job.... I will prefer Maceness in his place.... Though he got problems with some plyrs so i don't how that will go....

AsifTheManRahman
January 27, 2005, 09:53 AM
What if he does leave? We can't hang onto him forever...we're going to have to move on anyways. I wouldn't be at a complete loss if he did leave.

Fazal
January 27, 2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by abu_akif
If Whatmore need to live, we have Faruq to coach the team. No worries guys..:clap:...

So he will bring all ''Shanto's back to the team..:joy:

In this chilly cold winter, a cup of hot 'coco' sound great!:D

On serious note, I wouldn't mind Maceness. But it will be a tough transition for both the coach as well as for our already established national players because of their completely different coaching style and personality.

bhobishshot
January 27, 2005, 11:13 AM
I remember when Pakistan was looking for a coach, there were rumor that Dav might be leaving BD for Pak. And Dav said at that time that he has no intention of leaving BD coaching.

Someone had said: "Coaching Bangladesh on the other hand is a job where there is little to lose and lot to gain."

I completely disagree with that. He has been given long enough rope to hang himself with (as dav would say it). If he fails to make BD a competitive team, I think he will be loosing his most valuable asset - his REPUTATION!

As for the future of Bangladesh coaching, I think Richard McInnes will make a fine coach for the national team. Hopefuly, by the time Dav is ready to move on to bigger challanges, McInnes would be ready to step in and continue with the progress.

bdmoderator
January 27, 2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
Nasif,

Nice to know it.

bdmoderator
January 27, 2005, 11:33 AM
I think the news is bogus. India will not leave John Wright because he is doing nice job for India.

DJ Sahastra
January 27, 2005, 11:37 AM
I'll like to repeat what i said earlier, just to emphasize on it.

I would rather have Whatmore stick with the BD team.

I think he can make far greater contribution to the BD cricket than to the Indian cricket. A guy like Wright is a perfect replacement for Mr. Wright himself.

We really really really don't want him (DW). And maybe Whatmore is quite content with his current job and doesn't want it either. This whole thing is a mere speculation.

Banglar-Fans love DW. All the more reason for him to stick to BD team.

fwullah
January 27, 2005, 11:43 AM
Also, since BD is improving i would think that the board will try its best to keep whatmore and whatmore wouldn't mind it either... So no worries guys!

Exactly my words.

If it was like that we're losing losing and losing, then Whatmore might get 'too frustrated' and then leave to be India's coach, but not when Bangladesh have just won its maiden test match and maiden test series victory, and won a few games here and there upsetting big teams.

There is just no way that Whatmore would want to spoil the fun by not renewing the contract.

CTazim
January 27, 2005, 11:43 AM
Whether it is true or not see the pattern of subtle insult geared towards Bangladesh Cricket below. See the phrase "he had not much to show for his effort". It is high time we do something about media bias against BD cricket and that too with a strategic plan.

"Whatmore, who earlier was hailed for his role in Sri Lanka’s revival in mid-90s, has not had much to show for his effort in Bangladesh in the last couple of years but has earned worldwide respect as a coach. "

Same thing holds true about www.sify.com (or www.khel.com takes you to the same site), especially when they wrote something positive about BD cricket it is foot noted with the saying that the article does not reflect the points of view of the websi.

fwullah
January 27, 2005, 11:54 AM
For those who wrote in this thread that we're gonna have to leave Whatmore someday -

Well, I'm not gonna just let Dav off the hook without a respectable World Cup tournament.

Fazal
January 27, 2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
For those who wrote in this thread that we're gonna have to leave Whatmore someday -

Well, I'm not gonna just let Dav off the hook without a respectable World Cup tournament.

In that case, we don't only need Dav's son but also may be his grandson ( with last name Whatmore) to coach for us.:clap::clap:

Why don't sign a contract with the whole three generation for life?:-/

jeesh
January 27, 2005, 12:13 PM
I am not sure abt MCiness becoming the national coach. He should continue grooming under 19 players. If Whatmore is to leave we will probably need to get some one with the same experience as Dav Whatmore. We shouldnt get a low budget coach like our last two times. That will lead to disaster.

al
January 27, 2005, 12:38 PM
whatmore himself said that, he wanted to stay until 2007 wc. so its probably a goojob. India might have approached him and the news was spread based on that. This goojob was started last month after india's tour in kolkata. not sure if sourav dada had any part in it. In addition, whatmore's temperment, ability to motivate/inspire players, positive thinking, all these skills are more suitable for the underogs[remember srilanka in 1996]. i hope he stays until 2007 wc atleast

reverse_swing
January 27, 2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by al
whatmore himself said that, he wanted to stay until 2007 wc. so its probably a goojob. India might have approached him and the news was spread based on that. This goojob was started last month after india's tour in kolkata. not sure if sourav dada had any part in it. In addition, whatmore's temperment, ability to motivate/inspire players, positive thinking, all these skills are more suitable for the underogs[remember srilanka in 1996]. i hope he stays until 2007 wc atleast

brother his contract will finish this April. So everything depends on Whatmore whether he wants to extend this or not.

DJ Sahastra
January 27, 2005, 12:46 PM
"India might have approached him and the news was spread based on that. This goojob was started last month after india's tour in kolkata. not sure if sourav dada had any part in it. "

Alright, here comes the India-conspiracy angle. We are about to take away BDs beloved coach :lol:

al
January 27, 2005, 12:55 PM
DJ Sahastra wrote:
Alright, here comes the India-conspiracy angle. We are about to take away BDs beloved coach

No body is suggesting conspiracy theory. It is like putting words into somebody's mouth. Ane if Dav was approached, what is wrong with it. This is a free world right. And , that's how goojob starts. Last not least It is usually not the coach who approaches any teams saying I want to coach you. !!!!!!!!

Fazal
January 27, 2005, 01:29 PM
For non- Banlga speaking memebrs.

'goojob' == Rumor

:)

Bangla Mostan
January 27, 2005, 01:35 PM
What you have to understand is the chemistry between the players and the coach...the players through my understanding have been able to relate to Dave Whatmore out of all the other coaches that have come and gone for the team. This is a crucial time for Bangladesh Cricket...they are moving in the horizon and for Dave to leave at this time will be a bitter blow and maybe a descend in the morale and perfomances of the players from there on.

It also goes to show what a privelage it is to have Dave Whatmore as our coach as he is attracting much more developed and stronger teams like India. You need to be in a class of your own to attract teams of that calibre.:flag: So let us appreciate who we have and hopefully who we will continue to have for a long time.:flag::cool2:

amra_korbo_joy
January 27, 2005, 01:38 PM
If Whatmore leave then we shd choose coach from Bangladesh because speaking bengali is required for Bangladeshi player and Bangladeshi coach is good if he is hard working type of person.

shujan
April 10, 2005, 02:10 AM
I had to bring this thread back. I was telling that Dav will leave for India if India wants him in January. I was right all along.

My observation is immaculate.:up:

dukha
April 10, 2005, 02:24 AM
Once again , stupid talk , Once someone in under contract then they can't leave .........

dukha
April 10, 2005, 02:26 AM
[quote]Originally posted by dukha
Once again , stupid talk , Once someone in under contract then they can't leave ........also i don't know how ya guys end up these kinda crap ideas ......... India not gonna take him , Moddy is there anyway .........

shujan
April 10, 2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by dukha
Once again , stupid talk , Once someone in under contract then they can't leave .........

Again wishfull thinking. Contract is binding when both party sign it. Dav didn't sign it yet. .......... why?

shujan
April 10, 2005, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by dukha
[quote]Originally posted by dukha
Once again , stupid talk , Once someone in under contract then they can't leave ........also i don't know how ya guys end up these kinda crap ideas ......... India not gonna take him , Moddy is there anyway .........

If India goes for Moody then he is all yours.

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 7:38 AM GMT, by shujan.

Banglar Chasha
April 10, 2005, 02:58 AM
India is going for "Tom Moody" Guys please go and talk with "Jagmohan Dalmia" please don't post any more stupid talk . Whatmore is not leaving for sure , i gurantee ya .. Now sleep .........

shujan
April 10, 2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Banglar Chasha
India is going for "Tom Moody" Guys please go and talk with "Jagmohan Dalmia" please don't post any more stupid talk . Whatmore is not leaving for sure , i gurantee ya .. Now sleep .........

Can you give me Jagmohon Dalmia's phone number plz. I left his number in my office. By the way How is he? Is his family doing ok?

dukha
April 10, 2005, 04:51 AM
hmm i think ya guys have to have a chat with "Jagmohan Dalmia" to finalise the Coach of India . Why not having a meeting with "Mahbub Anam" ? I don't guys are messing up like this . Wright's contract is gonna finish next year in April . If it's , then Whatmore can't break his contract to go to India ...... I don't think anyone in Bangladesh is worried about that , only the people in overseas so much worried about it ...........

cricket_pagla
April 10, 2005, 08:32 AM
another thread 'bout DW!.. again.. 2 early 2 say anything.. :info::exclamation::drool:

TigerFan
April 10, 2005, 03:54 PM
I don't know why you guys a digging up the old threads, when dav won't leave Insh Allah.