PDA

View Full Version : The great boycott has spoken ...

RazabQ
January 26, 2005, 10:27 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4208411.stm

On a recent BBC piece, some mention was finally made of Bangladesh's upcoming tour. Quotes Boycott ...

" ... The early summer back home will be vital. Our batters need to bat themselves into form for their counties and against Bangladesh, who are no more than a club side ... "

I wish our Tigers could go and make him eat his words, but unfortunately, we'll just have to suck it up because I don't see our batsmen doing too well in the early English summer (seam & swing).

Razab

Maruf
January 26, 2005, 10:38 PM
He is just a ego maniac.:mad:

Pundit
January 26, 2005, 10:46 PM
He is an Yorkshireman, right ? A northener- USA's equivalent of a Mississipian. What else can be expected of him but a slow slow slow 100 runs.

Hasib
January 26, 2005, 11:36 PM
hmmm..... another person on the Bangladeshi Cricket Fan's "Hate List" ;)

Spitfire_x86
January 26, 2005, 11:36 PM
At least he didn't say that we will lose the tests within one day :mad:

fwullah
January 27, 2005, 12:00 AM
Alright - the Great Boycott has spoken! :pig:

At last he took a notice of us - which is quite amazing.

The Zimbabwe team that managed to beat his country-men England - with Heath Streak and in Matsikenyeri's debut ODI match; even after that - Boycott has been saying that 'Zimbabwe have a ruuuuubbish batting'.

Kajei amader Boycott Miya ki bollo na bollo ta na shunle-o cholbe.

P.S. Its my reply after reading just the headline.

fwullah
January 27, 2005, 12:03 AM
Frankly speaking, it'll be our first tour to England, so we'll just have to be patient with our players.

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 12:04 AM
This is sledging Alright! These Englishmen take it as a 'Part of the game' to badmouth the opponent as a way to mentally 'Dominate' over the opposition always..

Just look at what he wrote about SouthAfrica in the same article! :

"If we had played anything like our best, I have no doubt we would have beaten South Africa 4-0 - that's how much faith I have in the true ability of this England side."

Poor Boycott!
... Life never goes the way that he is 'doubtless' for it to go! ;)

mahbubH
January 27, 2005, 12:43 AM
So we got our "Mark"!!

cricketfan
January 27, 2005, 12:58 AM
Boycott speaks his mind without trying to be goody-goody. He does it with every team. I can see that many people in this forum will 'hate' Boycott. Personally I like Boycott's blunt comments about India as do most Indians including the Indian team.

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 01:11 AM
"Boycott speaks his mind without trying to be goody-goody."

right... u got it spot on! it's all about 'His Mind'...
don't really care if even ALL THE INDIANS like boycot's comments... but as long as he is 'Stuck in his own damn mind'... he gets no respect from my side!

By the way... Englishmen r pretty well-known Aussi-haters.. so I wont be surprised if boycott had said some 'High Words of Praise' to the Indian teams, being (India) a prime rival vs. the Australlians. No matter wht the case with Indians... boycott has never been positive abut Bangladesh cricket so far.

tutul
January 27, 2005, 02:07 AM
Boycott kharap ki koilo? amgo kii amon batting lineup ja hagora ball korta Hoggard, Flintoff, Giles, Harmison ra dorra kapa-kapi kkorbo? aar ki ba amon bowling power ja Trescothick, , Strauss, Vaughan, Rudolph, Thorpe, Flintoff, Jones kharaya kharaya pow fak koira mutbo??? eak tuta-fata Zimbabwe ar loga eakta test match jiitai kau kau kuda-kudi suru korcha "Bangladesh: Worldcup Champ, 2007." awameeligue naki tigergora gold medel dibo. bhai kichu mona loyan na, amra amon kono team na ja amgo ra kau kichu koila "kata ghaw a nun ar chita lagbo." tai tiger go jotodin dath na hoi totodin ja ja koi hojom koira lon.

DOORBIN
January 27, 2005, 02:14 AM
Boycott will see the 8th wonder of the world in JUNE 2005.

AsifEminem
January 27, 2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by tutul
Boycott kharap ki koilo? amgo kii amon batting lineup ja hagora ball korta Hoggard, Flintoff, Giles, Harmison ra dorra kapa-kapi kkorbo? aar ki ba amon bowling power ja Trescothick, , Strauss, Vaughan, Rudolph, Thorpe, Flintoff, Jones kharaya kharaya pow fak koira mutbo??? eak tuta-fata Zimbabwe ar loga eakta test match jiitai kau kau kuda-kudi suru korcha "Bangladesh: Worldcup Champ, 2007." awameeligue naki tigergora gold medel dibo. bhai kichu mona loyan na, amra amon kono team na ja amgo ra kau kichu koila "kata ghaw a nun ar chita lagbo." tai tiger go jotodin dath na hoi totodin ja ja koi hojom koira lon.
lol dude u r right.
:lol:

SHABBA!!

shujan
January 27, 2005, 02:28 AM
When they badmouth you, that means they think you can do damage. This is a way to prepare your own team. So boys we are making progress.:up:

mwrkhan
January 27, 2005, 03:53 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,542-1458168,00.html

You may also be interested in the above link

Boycott is right. Let's be realistic. The forthcoming England tour will, in my opinion, do much more harm than good for Bangladesh cricket. The team will be abased and not just by England. There is also Australia (what on earth are we thinking?) and the county sides. The media will heap derision at worst and pity at best. By the end of the tour confidence would be gone, possibly several players would be injured by rising deliveries and the old refrains about test cricket being undermined by this tamasha will rear their head. Who benefits? Whatmore is a human being and not a saint. Who can blame him if he chooses to leave in the service of more competent sides after the sure debacle?

Let's face the facts, our tigers :rolleyes: had to fight tooth and nail on their own soil to win a test series against a joke Zimbabawe side that hadn't played test cricket for about six months and are now struggling to win a one day series against the same.

Nonetheless, wins are wins I suppose. What I don't understand is why all the positives from the current series are being squandered by embarking on this folly.

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by mwrkhan
Boycott is right. Let's be realistic. The forthcoming England tour will, in my opinion, do much more harm than good for Bangladesh cricket. The team will be abased and not just by England. There is also Australia (what on earth are we thinking?) and the county sides. The media will heap derision at worst and pity at best. By the end of the tour confidence would be gone, possibly several players would be injured by rising deliveries and the old refrains about test cricket being undermined by this tamasha will rear their head...
hmm... some words full of very very low self-esteem!
these r the kinds of self-belief that ppl like boycott feed upon with their sledgings.. unfortunately!

Frankly speaking... the more u will read into these types of writings (as Timesonline).. u will start having doubts whether you(if u r Bangladeshi) r actually part of the 'human species' or not!;)

The only thing Boycott said in this article is that "BD is no better than a clubside" <perhaps this is what u say that boycott is right about. :duh:
good to know your view though.. and welcome to the board.

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 9:54 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Bat-PadTogether
January 27, 2005, 04:52 AM
Thats true we play often like a club team,sometimes even worse.Geoff Boycott has his own style of critisizing other teams but it was very harsh from him.The forthcoming tour to England will be the toughest we ever been.Boycott has been always negative towards the sub-continent teams.This Yorkshire man is not popular amongst his own fellow countryman. So forget his rubbish comments and hope and pray that Tigers will show some fight.

samircreep
January 27, 2005, 05:00 AM
We're so predictable with our handling of criticism, aren't we? We scour the net/ tv for negative comments against BD cricket, post it on our own secure little website, heap ridicule against the detractor for saying what he's said, along with a healthy sprinkling of ad hominum insults which don't really address the point, pass on self-congratulatory comments about how we've dealt with the problem, and then look for another comment. And thus the cycle continues (a very good analogy can be found with the now infamous NY Times article on Bangla Bhai and how people back home have dealt with, but that's another story).

Gentlemen, relax. As cricketing neophytes, we'll be subjected to a lot of criticisms, a lot of which will be bs. Leave the bs to the bs-ers and once in a while when we do get articulate, cogent criticisms thrown at us, let us reply back with the best possible answer: good performance on the field.

What does it say about our self esteem if we have the urge to hity back at every single criticism levelled at us?

mwrkhan
January 27, 2005, 05:06 AM
The thing about Boycott is that he is refreshingly honest. And he doesn't spare anyone. I don't see the need for sugar coating remarks. I think the whole country could do with a bit less mis-placed optimism .... not just in cricket. But I digress.

Mr-khan
January 27, 2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by DOORBIN
9th in 2007 world cup.;)

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 06:00 AM
well said sameercreep..
like we always jump on crickinfo and the media alike... these comments r also same ranked..

Its essential to save our stamina and focuss it on more productive issues of self-developement.

No doubt the coming England tour will be a valuable learning for the whole team... and surely it will judge how far we have come in the last 5 years after attaining Test-Status. Realistically enough... no one expects the BD team to produce miracles on this tour.. but the way BD team is reforming itself (even though out current opponent is the weakest possible) I do hope to see some good fightbacks by the BD-minnows in the coming england tour!

Honestly speaking.. I am egerly waiting for this series coming next... no matter how hard this tour may be..

There is no such thing as being exposed to the highest possible toughness... infact that is the only way to know what we are capable of doing if put in the topmost level of the experiment! I'm sure it will not only show the hidden dark sides of our squad...it will surely bring out some highly bright sides as well!

The story of our current good memories did start from the Australia tour more than 2 years back. The only reason for that was the successes we had were against the Real Top Opponents ever possible in the business!!

This England tour holds extrememly high value... in terms of learning.. lets keep a good eye on it..

Spitfire_x86
January 27, 2005, 06:14 AM
What kind of 8th wonder?? Breaking NZ's record of lowest score in a innings (26)? :(

mahbubH
January 27, 2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
What kind of 8th wonder?? Breaking NZ's record of lowest score in a innings (26)? :(
Where is SS?

roaring_tiger
January 27, 2005, 06:48 AM
doorbin vi, apnar mukhe ful-chondon poruk !!!

mzia
January 27, 2005, 06:52 AM
We should do some homework in abroad for swallowing this type of people.

Our A team will make travel to UAE and ZIM. BCB should send a team to Europe in March-May, match practice in English condition will help a lot. Zim spent a considerable period in India before touch down Dhaka and they got the dividend.

akabir77
January 27, 2005, 08:28 AM
England have no idea what we have.... They will see how the ball can travell in slowest speed ever and still reach there stumps :cool2: they will see how our 11th batsman can stand tall and hit a 100 with a total of 150 allout they will see how the stadium is full of bangladeshi people instead of english people and they WILL FEEL THAT THEY ARE THE VISITORS NOT THE HOST..... and boycott will boycott the game for that :great:

reverse_swing
January 27, 2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by akabir77
they will see how the stadium is full of bangladeshi people instead of english people

from my experience I can tell u in test series not more than 10% Bangladeshi people will be in the stadium. Because the opponent is England.

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 1:42 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

akabir77
January 27, 2005, 08:53 AM
:wow: why bd people love england more than BD or i am missing something?

reverse_swing
January 27, 2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by akabir77
:wow: why bd people love england more than BD or i am missing something?

u r not missing anything. British people always love test cricket more than ODI. And I don't think anything more than 500 bangladeshi will be there.

ShortAndRising
January 27, 2005, 09:29 AM
Going through the comments and reactions to Boycott's view, I felt that it
worked.
I mean, if Boycott did it to undermine our confidence, he is successful and it
cant be more obvious than through the reaction of the die-hard
Bangladeshis.

If an honest assessment was in his mind- well we again proved it to be correct. It seems like we have more interest in word-war than the real
game in the field.

I really liked the comments made by 'sameercreep' although not agreeing
to all of it.

Fellow friends, if we think Boycott was wrong, we have to prove it first. No
use of Boycott-bashing if his comments are reflected through the scorecards.

Best of luck Bangladesh.

AsifTheManRahman
January 27, 2005, 09:37 AM
i like boycott's straightforward "non goody goody" comments. i don't see why we should start hating him because he makes similar comments about everyone, including england. if we don't like what he said, we should prove him wrong before starting to bash him on this board. i see nothing wrong in what he said, especially because he never proved to be biased against anyone. besides, our odi performances, if not test performances, prove that he is right.

mwrkhan
January 27, 2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
i like boycott's straightforward "non goody goody" comments. i don't see why we should start hating him because he makes similar comments about everyone, including england. if we don't like what he said, we should prove him wrong before starting to bash him on this board. i see nothing wrong in what he said, especially because he never proved to be biased against anyone. besides, our odi performances, if not test performances, prove that he is right.

Are you suggesting that our test performance is better than our ODI performance? (are they not equally miserable) :)

AsifTheManRahman
January 27, 2005, 09:54 AM
well, yes...i guess you got me there :lol:

cisco-guy
January 27, 2005, 10:12 AM
Come to think of it calmly, I don’t mind what Boycott is saying even though it’s very harsh and resentful. We are to be blamed for his knee-jerk comments. We WERE a miserable team for a long period of time and even though occasionally there was some sunshine, we WERE not consistent with our performances. Now, notice why used cap letters for “WERE”. Because, there is new dawn now and all those things are the past and history. We now have a brand new team with great YOUNG players full of promise and confidants. I am just hoping that our selectors are smart enough to pick the unique combination of Batsmen/Bowlers/All-Rounder to face each unique country/oppositions. The selectors need to emphasize which bowlers to include based on the pitch conditions as well. The world of cricket now knows that we are no longer at the bottom and Mr. Boycott’s critique will only galvanize us towards playing awesome crickets in the future.

“Beware! Tigers finally tasted the blood; who will be next…?”
:flag:

Rubayed
January 27, 2005, 10:28 AM
Guys!,,,calm down!!! Boycott is always brutally straight forward on his remarks, he speaks like that even when we talks about English cricket but the problem is that sometimes he can be bloody insulting and irritating. So the best thing to do is ignore his stupid comments. Who cares what he think of us. With all due respect to Englishmen, mostly English journalists were also not that good to us, they r more keen on talknig about our traffic, pollution and how poor we r than our cricketing ability. We all know its not gonna be easy in England but one thing i do know and that is its our batsmen who will find it harder there than our bowlers. So if we prepare well for it, i'm sure we can still create some dents in Englishmen's confidence and make their life harder for their follwing Ashes, that will still be quite an achievement.:flag:

Pundit
January 27, 2005, 10:55 AM
Ofcourse Boycott is right. Everybody knows that. It may be only part of his job to talk like an imbecile - which he is also.

Rubayed
January 27, 2005, 11:07 AM
I agree with u Pundit,he is sometimes very obnoxious with his immature comments!

bangalee
January 27, 2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by tutul

Jist of your comment is correct and it will be true for a while.

mwrkhan
January 27, 2005, 11:28 AM
Could it be that his comments rub us the wrong way because they are essentially correct?

AsifTheManRahman
January 27, 2005, 11:29 AM
like i said, there's no point in compalining against someone if you can't prove the guy wrong.

Fazal
January 27, 2005, 11:35 AM
Boycott Mr. Boycott !!

savyasachi
January 27, 2005, 11:45 AM
Here is the article, titled "Introspection needed despite victory" on England's performance in SA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4208411.stm

In one place, he says Bangladesh are no more than a club side. Hmmm, and here I am on record as rating 9 of the Bangla players as first class or better. Well, we shall see. Hope your team can make Boycs eat his words, and not let the Poms build up confidence for the Ashes.

I have a lot of respect for Boycs, though. Apart from Benaud, I havent seen anyone analyse the game so well. He is a little unsparing sometimes, but I would take that any day over the glib glee in the Indian media over two moderate performances in Australia and Pakistan last year.

DJ Sahastra
January 27, 2005, 11:49 AM
"glib glee in the Indian media over two moderate performances in Australia and Pakistan last year. "

The perfirmance by the Indian team in Both Australia and Pakistan was exemplary and exceeded the expectation of all teh Indian fans.

Not many teams in last decade or so have dominated more seession than the home team when playing in Australia.

I don't know what glib-glee are you talking about.

By the way, the boycott comment is aleady being discussed in some other thread, i think.

mwrkhan
January 27, 2005, 11:57 AM
Nothing will make me happier than if BD proves Boycott wrong. But my head tells me that it won't happen.

savyasachi
January 27, 2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
"glib glee in the Indian media over two moderate performances in Australia and Pakistan last year. "

The perfirmance by the Indian team in Both Australia and Pakistan was exemplary and exceeded the expectation of all teh Indian fans.

Not many teams in last decade or so have dominated more seession than the home team when playing in Australia.

I don't know what glib-glee are you talking about.

By the way, the boycott comment is aleady being discussed in some other thread, i think.

They exceeded low expectations. Agreed. In Australia, we should have won. It was a great opportunity, but some awful wicketkeeping put paid to that. In Pakistan, we faced the worst Pakistani team in the last 30 years ( or since I have been following the game ).

The point is that the media went overboard in the praise. Contrast that with people like Boycs and Agnew who have maintained a very honest and level perspective in spite of the awesome performances by their team. What England has accomplished over the last year puts the Indian team in the shade.

But each to his own, I suppose.

DJ Sahastra
January 27, 2005, 12:07 PM
"In Pakistan, we faced the worst Pakistani team in the last 30 years ( or since I have been following the game )."

A team comprising of Inzamam, Youhana, Saqlain, Danish, Abdul Razzak, Moin Khan, Shoaib, Sami etc. can be called anything but worst. The Indian team made them look worst.

If you wanna know what was the worst Pakistan team, you should check out the team that played Australia in Sharjah immediately after the 2003 world-cup.

The point is, Media only praised what aws long overdue. I have seen the Indian media ripping the players apart, and it will do so again. With that background, a praise like the one we saw after Australia or pakistan series, was long overdue.

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 12:14 PM
Boycott isn't wrong.. he is brutal and rude.

I don't know about the reasons of others complaining about his comment here.. but the reason I dont count his comment is his manners behind it.. not his being wrong or right.

He is probably the guy proposing "bangladesh playing test cricket is a joke" ... and the same reaction from my side about it.

When u make this kind of comment about a side which only has started playing tests since 5 years.. then you r the one diong the 'joke'! .. because you are being simply 'too demanding' and only 'an extremely hursh critic'

anyway..I already feel I have spent far too much of my time on this issue which it doesnt deserve.

Lutfulkhan
January 27, 2005, 12:18 PM
Ai halar khota bad den..... Oi ekta Indiar dalal

mwrkhan
January 27, 2005, 12:22 PM
Ai halar kotha keno bad debo? Halai thik kothai koise. Tar kotha shune amra etho lafai ken?

Ahmed_B
January 27, 2005, 12:29 PM
ok mwk bhai... chalai jan.. no probs! :)

Bangla Mostan
January 27, 2005, 01:44 PM
it goes to show how much they have researched into Bangladesh's cricket at present...only one performance against England would be enough to shut him and others like him up for some time...