PDA

View Full Version : Whats the EQUATION to winning test matches?

Bangla Mostan
January 27, 2005, 01:50 PM
What is the EQUATION to winning test matches?

I personally feel the simple equation would be to fully and I mean FULLY concentrate on the first innings, prime example would be 1st test against Zimbabwe 1st innings...488..that was due to sheer concentration and dedication. Patience was the key to that innings. They need to SLOWLY build partnerships and maintain composure.

This must be applied to any match against any opposition. The mininmum score they should set themselves is 300. This gives enough support for the bowlers to do their thing. If need be then play like one day and hook shots and anything to attain a score of 200 in the 2nd innings and then the bowlers can work from that.

I am open to any other suggestions.

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 8:34 PM GMT, by Bangla Mostan.

paco
January 28, 2005, 11:51 AM
I think the equation is as follows :

your first innings score + your second innings score > opponents first innings score + opponents second innings score

this will give you a win everytime.

sorry, couldn't resist :)

mwrkhan
January 28, 2005, 12:00 PM
In Bangladesh's case trying not to get into a hopeless situation by the end of the first day.

fwullah
January 28, 2005, 12:02 PM
Telling to score over 300 (on any pitch all over the world) is something very different to doing it on the field; especially against quality bowling attacks.

Besides, if we lose a toss, or bat second, then it becomes even more difficult.

Fazal
January 28, 2005, 12:07 PM
Except for ZIM, Bangladesh should play for a draw, taking their time to stretch the 1st innings as long as they can, there by putting pressure to the strong opponent who is expected to win all the time against us. Who knows, they can fall into the trap and make more mistake to accelerate the run rate, and thereby give us a chance to squeeze a win or two once in a while.

Ahmed_B
January 28, 2005, 12:16 PM
Yes.. building a good first innings score is vital.. and equally important is to occupy the crease for a good long time in the first innings.. say atleat more than 1.5 days. Learning to bat a bit faster in 2nd innings will also help.. even though with a worse pitch condition that becomes real hard.

But personally I have always been feeling that looking hard for Test-Wins is a bit too early for BD team... speacially when they are playing Top-Class Opponents in tests. BD's main problem in Tests has been the unability to occupy the crease for longer period of time.. which resulted in big defeats..

To Overcome it.. BD needs to start earning Draws from the better opponents.. for the real improvement of their ability.

cisco-guy
January 28, 2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by paco

your first innings score + your second innings score > opponents first innings score + opponents second innings score

It would also work if
your first innings score > opponents first innings score + opponents second innings score ;)

AsifTheManRahman
January 28, 2005, 12:20 PM
Well IMO winning a test requires a lot of grit, determination and mental toughness, irrespective of what the score board says. It's all about attitude as much as technical skills. You have to be able to stand up to the pressure, and not fear the opposition.

AsifTheManRahman
January 28, 2005, 12:20 PM
Winning an ODI, on the other hand, is much simpler. You just go out there, bash the opponent on a given day, and go home with the prize money.

Navarene
January 28, 2005, 12:25 PM
"Whats the EQUATION to winning test matches?"

Very simple. Set a targer for every session and play accordingly.

Fazal
January 28, 2005, 12:25 PM
For us both of them are equally hard (Test as well as One-day).

Against ZIM our success rate for TEST is 50%, and for ONE-DAY (so far) is 33%.

Against ZIM our failure rate for TEST is 0% and ONE-DAY (so far) is 66% (Considering a draw as even, not a success or a failure)

Edited on, January 28, 2005, 5:26 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Zobair
January 28, 2005, 01:05 PM
Assuming of course you have gotten your opponents out TWICE for those scores :P

Originally posted by paco

Bangla Mostan
January 28, 2005, 02:41 PM
interesting..but i strongly feel playing at a target of 250-300 in the first innings against stronger opponents is equally good....as the conditions may be difficult for both sides...also it gives the bowlers a psychological advantage and backbone to try and bowl them out below that score..making it easier to score quick or slow runs in the second innings if necessary and set n overall high target....hence back to the same cycle of letting the bowlers to their things again.:flag: