PDA

View Full Version : good time to bring Pakistan to Dhaka for ODI

mahmoodh
January 29, 2005, 08:23 PM
The way they are playing now- I am confident we can have a tough fight. Shall BCB send invitation to Pakistan to visit us? Will we find a sponsor to offer free trip for Pakistan team RIGHT now? I am serious.
We almost outplayed them recently and we did good against West Indies. We just missed a chance to White Zimbabwe wash in test. So it is the time!!:lol:

bop
January 29, 2005, 09:03 PM
i agree.. this is teh time to bring paki in our own soil. But i don't think Paki would come. Looking at how Bd team is doing now.. any team other than Aussi will think twice to come to play on bd soil.

Piranha
January 29, 2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by bop
any team other than Aussi will think twice to come to play on bd soil.

Keep dreaming bop.

Lets win the 5th ODI first. Then we 'll think about bragging.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 2:51 AM GMT, by Piranha.
Reason: typo

Blah
January 29, 2005, 09:56 PM
First, pak is going to india soon probably in one month for a month long series. In just about two month we are going to England. We could squeeze a series in between them but higly unlikely.

Second, regarding "Will we find a sponsor to offer free trip for Pakistan team RIGHT now" , Host country always bears all the expenses through sponsers as far as i know. Whether it's RIGHT now or later. Whenever they come BD will bear the expenses (most basic ones ofcourse).

Tobe honest, I think it would be interesting to see them play here. But I would rather go to pakistan and beat them over there, Muhahahahah! :)

Blah

bourny3
January 29, 2005, 09:58 PM
I think that is a little far fetched. Zims are not that good. Think back to December when the Indians thrashed BD. I hope you were joking.

Blah
January 29, 2005, 10:01 PM
Self-belief can do wonders for a team. Currently BD is high on that. And pakistan is in the worst possible scenario. If BD got thrashed by India. What do you think Australia did to pakistan? Mega thrash!!

Muhahahahaha :)

Blah

Warlock
January 29, 2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by bop
i agree.. this is teh time to bring paki in our own soil. But i don't think Paki would come. Looking at how Bd team is doing now.. any team other than Aussi will think twice to come to play on bd soil.
Bragging or not bragging, nice comment bop.:P

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 3:03 AM GMT, by Warlock.

Zobair
January 29, 2005, 10:10 PM
hehe...still quite early for that..pakistan may be struggling in tests...but they are a far superior team in ODIs..small step at a time...let us win this series first...remember we are playing a team which has continuously whitewashed until they met us and they won the first two games.

Blah
January 29, 2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by pompous
remember we are playing a team which has continuously whitewashed until they met us and they won the first two games.

Well it applies to pakistan too. :)
The lost the series in pakistan against India before the Aussie series. Dunno if they played any other series in between other than some ODI tournament.

They are really in a bad place right now.
The don't have good bowlers (which is a very rare case for pakistan, if it ever happened in it's history of bowlers), they have one OK bowler named Shoib Akhter, who is a bloating baloon makes more news column with his mouth than his wickets. And their batting line-up is as inconsistent as they get. To be honest I would put them and BD in the same level at this moment.

Blah

Zobair
January 29, 2005, 10:34 PM
We are talking about ODIs...

naah Blah! their ODI team has just too much fire-power in their batting department...their bowling is quite indisciplined and one can perhaps say that our ODI bowling may be comparable and even better...but come on...consider their batsmen...to be completely honest..3 out 5 times they would win any ODI encounter between us right now. But then even 2 out of 5 times will be a positive improvement for us. In any case, lets not get too cocky...let us show first that we have what it takes to actually chase down a target.

Blah
January 29, 2005, 10:45 PM
Agreed.
I want BD to loss the toss in the last match and chase a possible 300 runs and win. That will shove the cricisms of critics down their throat where it hurts.

Oh wait! you said not to be cocky!! :)

Seriously speaking it would be interesting to see BD perform against Pak right now. The more we perform better against other teams the more confident we will get and it will inspire our performs.

Reaching 200 posts,
Blah:flag:

shujan
January 29, 2005, 10:53 PM
We can beat Pakistan or West Indies in ODI if we bat first and somehow get 270 in 50 overs. We will be able to hold opponent below 270.

fwullah
January 29, 2005, 11:14 PM
I think it feels good to make fun of Pakistan when they're playing bad against Australia in Australia and we're playing good in Bangladesh against Zimbabwe.

But in reality, even if Pakistan comes over here for some reason, we'll be thrashed like nine-pins. Why? Not possible? I say, it is very much possible, especially because they know our strength and most importantly, they 'respect' us, may be in a way that India didn't - before the ODI series.

Reality bites!

fwullah
January 29, 2005, 11:19 PM
Thinking on another note, I'll be expecting some fireworks during the SL series. Now that we know how to beat teams at home (and we got rid of the jinx of not being able to win at home), it'll be fun, especially since we did really bad in our tour to SL. Besides, Sri Lanka is a team that will not be beaten in an ODI in their own backyard.

However, we could see a repeat act of the NZ tour. I'm just trying to forget that for the moment.

shujan
January 29, 2005, 11:28 PM
fwullah you worry too much. You were concerned about similar things before Zimbabwe came to town too. Relax! Take a cold shower! Have some Sweets! Drink a cup of tea! Watch some hindi movie! Cheer!:)

aosaif
January 29, 2005, 11:48 PM
I reckon it would be excellent if BCCB could organise a tri-nation ODI tournament before the England tour in June, since our players will have a long lay-off. I know some of them will go to play in the Duleep Trophy comp, but really, real ODI pracitice would be best before the English summer.

Hasib
January 30, 2005, 01:37 AM
ok...this is what made me depressed after the 1st test... fans getting overconfident... this over confidence spirals down to the players... and c wat happened in the 2nd Test, 1 ODI and 2nd ODI?

Shehwar
January 30, 2005, 07:04 AM
I agree with Fwullah & Hasib.....Come on guys....Get real......The reality is we cudn't beat a Zimbabwean side in the second test whoz bowling line up is no better than a mediocre club side of our Premiere League..!!!..even worse..we went on to lose the first two ODIs..!!!!!!...And here u r talking bout beating Pakistan & things like that..!!!!....I plead to everyone to first pray to the Allmighty so that we win tomorrows decider...then we'll think bout other things...first things first....:fanflag:

Shafiul
January 30, 2005, 07:36 AM
I agree 100%. We have now, the mental strength to face Pakistan.

al Furqaan
January 30, 2005, 07:45 AM
we have the mental stregnth to face anyone...lets beat ZIM 3-2. first, then lets invite some other minnow, do well in england, then invite some big teams like pak.

Sam
January 30, 2005, 09:10 AM
I believe, our mental strength is growing reasonably well. We can now go against any team. The coming SL tour will be a test for us. Yes, against Pak we should do well.
BTW, today Pakistan has outplayed the World Champions, take care.

shaheen
January 30, 2005, 09:20 AM
Haha Pak team is always a very special team. Very difficult to guess.

Just today they were chasing Aus 265 runs in VB series game and they managed to get 268 in 47.2 balls and finally they won by 3 wkts.

So I think it is too far to think about that. First of all we have to make sure that we can win in a regular basis against Zim and even Kenya also and then we may ask for teams like Pak/SL. And also England without Flintoff (he is injured now:P Hope He will not be back b4 BD tour to England

Ibrahim
January 30, 2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by shujan
fwullah you worry too much. You were concerned about similar things before Zimbabwe came to town too. Relax!

lol. yes she did it.

Blah
January 30, 2005, 09:39 AM
A very very very important question for sujon.
Does cold shower really help you relax? Cause buddy I need a way to relax, and that 1000mg of megnasium doesn't seem to be working.

Blah

Ahmed_B
January 30, 2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
But in reality, even if Pakistan comes over here for some reason, we'll be thrashed like nine-pins. Why? Not possible? I say, it is very much possible, especially because they know our strength and most importantly, they 'respect' us, may be in a way that India didn't - before the ODI series.

That's a bit too pessimistic.. don u think?

Besides.. the strength that they know us to posses.. has got even more polished.. and most importantly.. the BD side has got some test of wins.. which has grown them trying for more.

BangladeshFan
January 30, 2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by mahmoodh
The way they are playing now- I am confident we can have a tough fight. Shall BCB send invitation to Pakistan to visit us? Will we find a sponsor to offer free trip for Pakistan team RIGHT now? I am serious.
We almost outplayed them recently and we did good against West Indies. We just missed a chance to White Zimbabwe wash in test. So it is the time!!:lol:
i dont think pakistan will get beaten by bd. that victory in 99 WC was a one off. after that pak continually thrashed us.

pak is a better ODI side than tests whereas bd is better in tests.
i would like to see one or two tests against pak on a spinning track. mind u pak also has quality spiners like kaneria, like sl has murali, and they can eat up our batters. but in any case i think bd has slightly better chance in tests.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 4:18 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: color removed

chyicarus
January 30, 2005, 10:54 AM
I am amazed to see the lack of cricketing brain in this thread! How can you guys even think about getting so much confidence about beating Pakistan, simply becoz we've performed well in one series, that too, its not over yet!
Are these the same ppl who use foul language up in Yahoo, when we're listening to the commentary?
We've achieved something this series, lets not throw that away- but our work is just begining. There will be all sorts of records broken- first-time achievments etc etc! This is the kind of target we should've had at least 2-3 years back- but thats all the infrastructure's fault and not any one person. Ppl were using Cricket as a platform for their political agendas!
Listen guys- i know how much we hate "Pakistan" becoz they're our "arch-rivals"- but this is a sport and it is a modern world- we should let bygones be bygones and look into the future- look into ways of improving ourselves so that we can be competitive against the big boys!

Bat-PadTogether
January 30, 2005, 11:10 AM
Come on guys.We have been still struggling to beat this 2nd X1 of Zims.You guys are dreaming a lot.Just wanna tell you Pakis dont have the service of Sohaib/Sami/Shabbir/Umar Gul due to their injury. Today they beat the mighty Aussie in a thrilling finish with out their top bowlers.So please concentrate on the 5th ODI against Zim to clinch our first ever ODI series.Forget the Pakis to bring them and win against them.Just dreaming and keep on dreaming.I have to confess that we are just one wicket away to beat them in Multan.

Bat-PadTogether
January 30, 2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by chyicarus
I am amazed to see the lack of cricketing brain in this thread! How can you guys even think about getting so much confidence about beating Pakistan, simply becoz we've performed well in one series, that too, its not over yet!
Are these the same ppl who use foul language up in Yahoo, when we're listening to the commentary?
We've achieved something this series, lets not throw that away- but our work is just begining. There will be all sorts of records broken- first-time achievments etc etc! This is the kind of target we should've had at least 2-3 years back- but thats all the infrastructure's fault and not any one person. Ppl were using Cricket as a platform for their political agendas!
Listen guys- i know how much we hate "Pakistan" becoz they're our "arch-rivals"- but this is a sport and it is a modern world- we should let bygones be bygones and look into the future- look into ways of improving ourselves so that we can be competitive against the big boys! I totaly agree with you lack of ABC of Cricket!!!!:down:

Shehwar
January 30, 2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Shehwar
I agree with Fwullah & Hasib.....Come on guys....Get real......The reality is we cudn't beat a Zimbabwean side in the second test whoz bowling line up is no better than a mediocre club side of our Premiere League..!!!..even worse..we went on to lose the first two ODIs..!!!!!!...And here u r talking bout beating Pakistan & things like that..!!!!....I plead to everyone to first pray to the Allmighty so that we win tomorrows decider...then we'll think bout other things...first things first....:fanflag:

PS: They just beat The World Champs in Australia today with their 2nd string bowling attack !!!

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 7:00 PM GMT, by Shehwar.

Ahmed_B
January 30, 2005, 02:42 PM
Despite all the Cautious Talks and the frustration about "lack of cricketing brain in this thread" ... I really agree that PAKISTAN is the team we should look ahead to Beat before any other team!!

And to the guys who are amazed by PAK defeating AUS in VB.. and just because of that one good win after countless pathetic shows has started to think PAK can thrash us anyday: Have you forgotten that PAK won atleast one game only and solely due to umpiring when BD went to PAK tour??

Shehwar
January 30, 2005, 03:11 PM
Thats the point I'm trying to make bro....one good win against India shud not make us think we r world beaters......!!!...For cryin out loud..we all want our team to beat Pakistan & any other side for that matter.....but we also shud be realistic in our comments.....right..?....Some of u in this thread r acting as if the ones who r talking sensibly don't really want Bangladesh to beat Pakistan....Its not that.....But I'd rather invite Kenya for 7 ODIs to give em a bit of their own medicine than being thrashed by Pakistan & destroy the confidence that we have gained..cheers..

Imran
January 30, 2005, 03:22 PM
Amazed to see lack of cricket brain from our brothers. We beat a super depleted indian team, and then struggle to the highest extreme against ZBWE team which is not even 30% of their regular team and yet we are dreaming to beat Pakistan in ODI. Didn't Pakistan have an upperhand against Indians in the recent ODIs? HOw many straight wins they have? Better bring Indians, well I am just kidding. We r not in any stage to challenge either India or Pakistan. Let's invite Kenya for moral boosting rather.

Bangla Mostan
January 30, 2005, 03:37 PM
pakistan can still beat bangladesh..even in their crap form they are in..thats because they have it engraved in their mind that they are superior than us..and besides...we find it hard to dismiss..yaseer hamid and inzaman

Shehwar
January 30, 2005, 03:45 PM
I'm honestly finding it very difficult to believe that some of us are actually trying to convince certain ppl in believeing that teams like Pakistan & India are a class above us...!!!!.....Wots wrong with everyone....We are playing with [b]Zimbabwe[b](Zimbabwe 'A' to be more precise).....& they r playing with [b]Australia[b]...India beat Australia in Australia in their last tour....& Pakistan have now beaten India four times in a row in ODIs......We can ill afford to compare our team with em......I really do hope that some Pakistani or Indian folk doesn't go through this thread....They'll just think we don't really understand the game....

shujan
January 30, 2005, 04:50 PM
We almost beat the full strength Pakistan in test in Multan. Pakistan survived by 1 WKT. Was that Pakistan team 2nd tier? We came very close in 3 ODI against West Indies. We beat a Indian team on which 4 player played in Asian 11.So Fan has reason to think of positive out come.
Cricket is a game of uncertainty. Gap is reducing between Bangladesh and other so called mighty countries. Some are wetting their pants getting so scared thinking .... ohh how the mighty Pakistan is playing in Australia. I watched the game Australi vs Pakistan. It looked like Australia preferred to face Pakistan in the final then Brian lara who can single handedly beat any mighty team on the face of the earth.

One advice to share: Do not be so scared pussy cat. Have some courage.:up:

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 9:52 PM GMT, by shujan.

paco
January 30, 2005, 04:53 PM
Whatever most u guys are smoking, must be some good stuff. Even after being "all pumped up after beating India" we've managed to lose 2 consecutive games to a Zimbabwe team that would struggle to beat UAE and Scotland, and here you guys are challenging pakistan, hilarious indeed. It's one thing to be courageous, and completely another to be utterly unrealistic.

btw - in case you didn't know, pakistan just beat australia today.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 9:54 PM GMT, by paco.

shujan
January 30, 2005, 05:00 PM
This Pakistan team could not score 80 run against this Australia in the same series. So now all you are telling me this Australia team got beaten by Pakistan in merit. Australia lost on their own will so they do not have to face Brian lara in the VB series final. If Pakistan would not loose to West Indies then Australia would beat Pakistan up the last game. By loosing to Pakistan yesterday Australia fed the cow the last meal before the slaughter.

Special 1
January 30, 2005, 05:12 PM
Pakistan just beat australia

shujan
January 30, 2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by BBgun
Pakistan just beat australia

Pakistan beat Australia without Shoib Akhtar by merit and not by choice?? You are telling us to believe it? I will believe it if Pakistan can beat Australia in final. Lets see.....:)

gladiator
January 30, 2005, 08:14 PM
guys, there are ups and down for every team.
Pakistan some time plays really bad and get all out for 80 against australia. Yesterday pak won against australia even after dropping 4 chatches.

If u play pakistan, there is a good chance that u will will win 1 out of 10 games but it doesnt make a difference. We lost 2 ODI's to aus in england mainly due to bad umpiring. also in one of the matches we gave them a 270 target but failed to defend it due to lack of bowling strength.
Currently the only department which makes aus a lot better then pak in the fielding. Altough u guys are on high morale, its not enough to beat pak.

Ibrahim
January 30, 2005, 08:35 PM
I am amazed to see the lack of cricketing brain in this thread!

I don't know how did you measure the "cricketing brain", but I know BD was deprived their first test win against Paki by a Srilankan Umpire and Rashed Latif. And BD was also very close with a ODI too.

bop
January 30, 2005, 08:38 PM
Do I think Tigers are better than Paki team , No , I don’t. But the difference today between Paki and Bd team is that Bd got the self-esteem after winning the test match and the way they came back in ODI with Zem. Bd team now started believing themselves. Beside now they know what it feels like to win.

I remember after loosing at Multan, one of the former Paki cricketer said “Bangladesh doesn’t know how it feels to win, and that is the biggest disadvantage in Bangladesh team”

aosaif
January 30, 2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Imran
Amazed to see lack of cricket brain from our brothers. We beat a super depleted indian team, and then struggle to the highest extreme against ZBWE team which is not even 30% of their regular team and yet we are dreaming to beat Pakistan in ODI. Didn't Pakistan have an upperhand against Indians in the recent ODIs? HOw many straight wins they have? Better bring Indians, well I am just kidding. We r not in any stage to challenge either India or Pakistan. Let's invite Kenya for moral boosting rather.

Excuse me. NOT a super-depleted Indian team. Those new players for India all played well in that match, whereas tendulkar might have got out for single digit score. The only player india were really missing was dravid. Now do they really require dravid in orer to beat bangladesh?

But I do agree we will find it hard to beat Pak. But you never know....

Edited on, January 31, 2005, 2:44 AM GMT, by aosaif.

chyicarus
January 30, 2005, 09:56 PM
The bottom line is- we have a lot more to look forward to! Just one good series and one win (even if it was against Australia's full squad) proves me nothing- unless i see consistency!
We were all hyped up about our team when they won the World Cup match against Pakistan- well done- i celebrated on the streets, maybe even with some of your guys- but what happened the next 5 yrs?
All we did was lose against every nation- very badly. But now that we are starting to win some and getting our confidence back- we need to build it up further.
That is the problem of us bangalees- we brag about any sparkle at the end of the tunnel- beware- it can be that of an incoming train!
So thats what i think- that we should progress very cautiously and improve our ifrastructure so that in the years down the line we can see our team beating the likes of Australia-(if not at least play competitively against them) 5-10 years down the line! It is very idiotic remark to make about other countries without even knowing 1% about them!

paco
January 30, 2005, 10:49 PM
That is the problem of us bangalees- we brag about any sparkle at the end of the tunnel- beware- it can be that of an incoming train!

very well said indeed :)

Samin
January 30, 2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Blah
Self-belief can do wonders for a team. Currently BD is high on that. And pakistan is in the worst possible scenario. If BD got thrashed by India. What do you think Australia did to pakistan? Mega thrash!!

Muhahahahaha :)

Blah

*NEWS FLASH*
Australia has just been neaten by Pakis in Perth. Their confidence may just make an upward inflexion...

Samin
January 30, 2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by paco

very well said indeed :)

We have a tendency to get over excited, rather than staying calm and collected.

But, I think the current BD team has shown maturity in this respect and would probably laugh off any suggestion that they are now ready to dominate stronger opposition. They realise that they still have a fair way to go, but are buoyed by their recent successes which have instilled a sense of pride in their abilities and qualities, which, I might add, are significant...

:fanflag::fanflag::flag::flag:

Shehwar
January 31, 2005, 01:51 AM
I have no further comments for this thread..All I can say is WE have got a proper idea of the kind of cricketing brain SOME OF YOU possess !!!

cricketfan
January 31, 2005, 02:00 AM
BD is playing well against Zim so
BD > Zim

Pak is playing poorly against Aus so
Pak < Aus

Hence, BD > Pak

That sums up the thought process of the proponents of this thread.
However, there is one fallacy in this line of argument. They are assuming that
Zim = Aus

Which sadly is not the case.

Edited on, January 31, 2005, 7:02 AM GMT, by cricketfan.

Edited on, January 31, 2005, 7:05 AM GMT, by cricketfan.

cricket_pagol
January 31, 2005, 04:28 AM
Shehwar & co... I hope you would respect other people's opinion. Just because you think that are not right or logical... does not give you the right to disdain them.

You are always entitled to your opinion... You are not entitled to disrespect others.

PS: I did not post anything in this thread

imtiaz82
January 31, 2005, 05:28 AM
I think the only other team we might be able to beat is West Indies without Lara. I have been watching their matches in Australia, their bowling is pathetic and except Lara and Chandrapul there is no class batsman.

Hinds, Sarwan are good players too, but inconsistent. (remember the ODIs we played against WI , we almost won the first one...)

But once our players like Aftab, Nafees, Ashraful mature and have an average of over 35 in onedays and bowlers like Mashrafee, Taposh, Enamul gets their act together we can beat any side in ODIs.(that is another 3-4 years from now)

:fanflag:

Edited on, January 31, 2005, 10:29 AM GMT, by nayeem007.

Edited on, January 31, 2005, 10:30 AM GMT, by nayeem007.

shujan
January 31, 2005, 05:40 AM
Yesssss! Lot need to be learned about Bangladesh's cricket ability after todays demolition by Aftab and company. People will learn soon. Bring on the Pakistan. Bangladesh can do it. Beside Bangladesh and Pakistan both has long break after june till november. :up: