PDA

View Full Version : ODI 5: What do you expect from Kapali

Ibrahim
January 30, 2005, 09:57 AM
Bangladesh are likely to make a change to the team that won the fourth match on Saturday by 58 runs.

Opener Rajin Saleh, who strained his left shoulder while fielding on Saturday, is set to be replaced by all-rounder Alok Kapali.

The 5thl ODI is most important game for BD to series win. Rajin did excellent job in last couple of ODIs. Now Alok is going to replace him. What do you guys are expecting from Kapali, who is badly out of form since long time. Do you think other player should play instead of Kapali?

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 3:12 PM GMT, by Ibrahim.

Blah
January 30, 2005, 10:02 AM
I expect from kapali what I expect from any bowlers who bats a little but his performs has been over-sensationalized by the media and fans at-large.

If he perform, than OK. If he doesn't perform he has alot of catchup to do. He owes us alot, one good performance, even if it happens, is not good enough.

Blah

Sam
January 30, 2005, 10:22 AM
What I expect from Kapali?
Batting: 5 runs off 14 balls.
Bowling: Econ: 4.8, wicket: none

Sam
January 30, 2005, 10:25 AM
I will be glad that my expectations are very much wrong and he hits a 50+ (even a century)and does some miracle with the ball.
Don't take me as a Kapali-hater, he is actually out of form now.

mahbubH
January 30, 2005, 10:25 AM
I want kapali to "pray" all night long so that Rajin will be fit enough to play the game in the morning !

Zobair
January 30, 2005, 10:29 AM
Kapali should open! :D Lookat what it did for Rajin! Just Kidding! ...on second thought it might not be such a bad idea...you are out of form..you need time to settle down..play under less pressure...so open...isn't that what worked for Rajin? Of course this is only a temp solution...once he gets his form back...he can shifted down.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 3:30 PM GMT, by pompous.

aosaif
January 30, 2005, 10:37 AM
i believe kapali is probably going to fail batting. Hence, taking enamul (who is better bowler) would pay better dividends.

aosaif
January 30, 2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by pompous
Kapali should open! :D Lookat what it did for Rajin! Just Kidding! ...on second thought it might not be such a bad idea...you are out of form..you need time to settle down..play under less pressure...so open...isn't that what worked for Rajin? Of course this is only a temp solution...once he gets his form back...he can shifted down.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 3:30 PM GMT, by pompous.

if he really has to play.....then I agree with you. Kapali should open and just freakin smack whack and wallop the field to his heart's desire.

Mueid
January 30, 2005, 10:41 AM
this is indeed bad news. r u sure of the rajin injury?

Mueid
January 30, 2005, 10:42 AM
never mind, i found more sources

chyicarus
January 30, 2005, 10:43 AM
I don't care about Kapali's batting- i don't think however he'll be allowed to open with such poor run of form, but i do think we need to get at least 8 overs out of him. It is true that Zim are weak against our spinners including part-timers.
Does anyone think we should get another all rounder(spinner) in the squad? Maybe let Aftab open with Mashrafee? After all, we just need 4-5 overs from him? What do you guys think?
Also we have Sujon- so automatically we have 3 pacers and in such a track like BNS where the ball stops on the batsmen- we'd rather have more slow bowlers!

mahmoodh
January 30, 2005, 10:45 AM
With respect to every one, I am expressing my personal feeling about inclusion of Kapali in the team. He has been given chance again and again with series of failure earlier. We questioned about personal fascinition of Whatmore for Kapali. We were happy when eventually he was dropped. Now in the decider- I feel Kapali should not be the choice. There was a feeling that Bangladesh does horrible with Kapali in the team. In some posting I said that it's like a curse. I am not sure about the meaning of the name Kapali. Kapalik means not some thing we all might like.

aosaif
January 30, 2005, 10:49 AM
i think aftab should just concentrate on his batting. Thats why he was chosen for the team. His talent is too good to be sharing it with his substandard bowling. We need to FIND an allrounder instead of converting one of our existing batsmen. Manjural is doing quite well with the bat actually.

chyicarus
January 30, 2005, 10:57 AM
My whole point was to say that we might not be needing Nazmul(although it is kind of a negative tactic) and instead get another batsman in the squad to strengthen our volatile batting line-up!
I do agree with you that we don't need to make Aftab an allrounder- and let him be, do his job.

Lutfulkhan
January 30, 2005, 11:03 AM
O my God Raj is not playin! If we lose the toss 2morrow and have to bat 2nd we will be dead meat with out him. Get him back, give him pain killers, dont no nothin get him back. Kapali! is this some kind of a joke!

Ehsan
January 30, 2005, 11:08 AM
Can't ask much from an off form Kapali. If he can score 30+ then I will be happy.

akabir77
January 30, 2005, 11:08 AM
Dmm u people r something... One wants him to fail as if he is playing for another team... To him do u know if he fails bd might fail too???? and another is talking VODO.... Please stop this.. This a BD plyr u r talking about... Show some respect to a BD plyr (who evry it is).. He is in the team and there is nothing you could do so stop bickering...

cisco-guy
January 30, 2005, 11:10 AM
I believe Kapali has great potential in this game. Almost everyone in the BD Team one way or another so far contributed to this ODI series against Zibabwe except Kapali. This is his last chance and I have this feeling that he will play with his heart out.

Nafis will open with Ash this time. Good decision by BD selectors!

Bat-PadTogether
January 30, 2005, 11:23 AM
He will do nothing!!!It will be a great mistake and risk to bring totaly out of form Kapali in the decider.I still hope that Saleh plays!Any news of his grade of Injury?Do we have any other options?What about Tushar/Rokhon?

Bat-PadTogether
January 30, 2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
I want kapali to "pray" all night long so that Rajin will be fit enough to play the game in the morning ! .Yes I agree with you.Iam praying for Rajin really we badly need the service of his in the decider!!!:fanflag:

Mr-khan
January 30, 2005, 11:31 AM
15+ runs or 1 good catch/run out or 1 wicket.

Zephaniah
January 30, 2005, 12:20 PM
What I expect from Alok Kapali?
A 65 ball 100.
Ecomomic spells in bowling will help too.

You, Mr. Kapali, owe a lot to us all - the team, administrators, fans.
Do something in this match or else we'll chuck you out forever!

Ahmed_B
January 30, 2005, 12:41 PM
To be frank.. I think Kapali's bowling will help us tomorrow... specially when ZIM's re pretty uncomfortable against spins. He proved to be tight in just the one match he played with bowling.. and we need real Economic bolwling tomorrow.

But with his bat? :umm:
I will be pretty happy if he scores 25+ with a strike rate of 70+ (monder valo)..

Upal
January 30, 2005, 01:01 PM
I think its a good decision to replace an injured Rajin with Kapali. Kapali is the only reserve we have who most resembles Rajin, i.e. he can bowl a good 6-8 overs of spin and has the "potential" to score like Rajin as well. I think the opening spot will help Ash settle down and play a long, solid innings.

And the key to winning is again BATTING FIRST!!!

ZaKi
January 30, 2005, 01:12 PM
ODI 5: What do you expect from Kapali ??
Ans: don't play this match.... Tapash will give us more service than u... so for the very important match give ur seat to tapash

Mr-khan
January 30, 2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ZaKi
ODI 5: What do you expect from Kapali ??
Ans: don't play this match.... Tapash will give us more service than u... so for the very important match give ur seat to tapash
:up: Agree

al Furqaan
January 30, 2005, 01:19 PM
kapali...needs a good innings either a huge score (50+) or a quick fire 25 (30 balls)...if he scores 30 of off 60 balls, under most situations i would say that is not good enough.

kaps needs to start thinkin like ash, rajin, nafis, and aftab...if they can do it, surely he can too.

Shehwar
January 30, 2005, 01:23 PM
It is almost certain that Rajin is not playing tomorrow....So....I guess we'll have to do with Kapali....I'd have preferred Al-Shahriar in place of him though....Anywayz...I hope he does something good with the bat...He has a lot of potential in him..& who knowz..might just shine in the crunch game....One thing for sure....he won't let us feel the absence of electrifying Rajin in the field....Hez equally good in the field...Lets pray to the Allmighty so that he comes good for Bangladesh tomorrow & more importantly we win the series.....:fanflag:

sadi
January 30, 2005, 01:25 PM
He will do well ppl...relax.... he is a class act.... i know he wasted a lot of chance...true...but he is due for a big knock....we surely dun want another shanto incident....i rather play kapali as he is with the team....and already have experience of playing a odi against this team in the series.... i think he gona score a 30+ batting at number six... bowling will be a plus too...

Mr-khan
January 30, 2005, 01:28 PM
haha!! Just 1.5 month age amra Rajin saleh k niye same kotha boltam jeta akhon Kapali k niye bolchi ar ajke Rajin saleh ar koto value.

Fazal
January 30, 2005, 01:44 PM
<i>Alok bolee Dav Dada
Cha-e lagbe aro ada?

Dav bole, eber tuee team-a achish, akhon ja re GhaDha
Kushite Alok lafaee ar bole, (Faruq)bhaiya debo Pan with ShaDa?</i>

I am not very happy with the current situation. Only selectors should be blamed for not constructing the team-14 to address situation like this. Before the 4th game, after tweaking the 14-man team, why was Alok still there? We could have added Tushar, Rokon, Nafees, (or even Golla) instead of Alok to give us a better position to handle situation like this.

Feeling like slapping myself and scream why??? Why??

Now what choice do we really have but to just pray that Rajin is well enough to play?

My expectation from Alok? None! Anything else (1 run, 5 runs, 10 runs, whatever) is a plus to me.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 6:46 PM GMT, by Fazal.

cisco-guy
January 30, 2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
<i>Alok bolee Dav Dada
Cha-e lagbe aro ada?

Dav bole, eber tuee team-a achish, akhon ja re GhaDha
Kushite Alok lafaee ar bole, (Faruq)bhaiya debo Pan with ShaDa?</i>

I am not very happy with the current situation. Only selectors should be blamed for not constructing the team-14 to address situation like this. Before the 4th game, after tweaking the 14-man team, why was Alok still there? We could have added Tushar, Rokon, Nafees, (or even Golla) instead of Alok to give us a better position to handle situation like this.

Now what choice do we really have but to just pray that Rajin is well enough to play?

My expectation from Alok? None! Anything else (1 run, 5 runs, 10 runs, whatever) is a plus to me.

Here is ODI Stats for Alok:
====================
ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 20/01/2005)

............M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Bat 44 43 2 818 89* 19.95 64.92 0 4 17 0

............ O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowl 142.3 6 703 11 63.90 2-40 0 0 77.7 4.93

And here is ODI Stats for Al-Shahriar (Rokon):
=================================
ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 03/08/2003)

.........M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Bat 29 29 1 374 62* 13.35 52.75 0 2 7 0

................. O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling - - - - - - - - - -

Go figure out why BD selectors are choosing Alok over Rokon.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 7:25 PM GMT, by cisco-guy.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 7:27 PM GMT, by cisco-guy.
Reason: Wrong Table Format

Bangla Mostan
January 30, 2005, 02:24 PM
the pressure is on him big time now to perform..replacing Rajin is a tall order..especially after posting a high total in the 3rd odi...so its gonna be tough for the boy...but lets hope eh..:flag:

Mahir
January 30, 2005, 02:42 PM
Ideally, our expectations from Alok should be the same as for Rajin. Lets face it : Rajin has been performing superbly in the last few matches, and he was in the midst of a good form! But Alok is highly underachieving. So this is how I would break it down :

Batting :
Alok, potentially, is as good a batsman as Rajin. And I think we all agree that it just takes one match to find a form back for any player. It just clicks suddenly.

Bowling :
I dont know how to differentiate their bowling abilities. Alok is usually economical, and Rajin doesnt give too many runs either.

Fielding : Both Rajin and Alok are tremendous fielders, but if I am not mistaken, Alok is the best fielder in Bangladesh team.

Therefore, expect from Alok the same as you would from Rajin, if not better. But the bottom line : Alok needs to get his act together and find his form tomorrow!

Bangla Mostan
January 30, 2005, 02:57 PM
this surely is the final straw for kapali
indeed if he doesnt he ends his career

sham1980
January 30, 2005, 03:08 PM
Kapali needs to forget about getting dropped, and just attack I remember couple of years back he had best techniques getting in line with the bowl foot movemen was good etc.... I think he lacks confidence he just needs to concentrate for few balls then bat to save his career. Stop trying and start playing bring back the good times.

songsoptok
January 30, 2005, 03:19 PM
I need "valo kopal".

Obviously he will give some catch out chance when he'll bat. But with his "valo kopal" zim players will drop those.

Obviously he will bowl a lot of loose balls. zim batsmen will try to make those SIX and get caught out.

At last with his "valo kopal" we'll win the match.

sham1980
January 30, 2005, 03:28 PM
Kapali will open I think......we just need around 30 runs thats all. Not expecting much.

abu_akif
January 30, 2005, 03:46 PM
I am not a fan of Rokon, but I would like to think that Rokon would have been a better choice for middle order. Rafiq should be brought to open again.

I choose Rokon, because most probably Kapali will fail again, so if Rokon comes and he fails, it will not make any difference.

In my calculation, I always know that some of the batsman will click and some will fail, so I pray and hope that Kapali is inside the faling list, so will have the inform ones in clicking list. Sumon will again fail below 20 and Chacha will also score nothing more than 20. So if either Kapali or Rokon joins them, it will not change much.. Good shows from Nafis, Aftab, Pilot, Rafiq, Masree and Rana will do..

mahmoodh
January 30, 2005, 04:09 PM
We may loose today only because "Kapali luck" is added! Has he ever been a match winner?

belal
January 30, 2005, 04:23 PM
Md ashraful should open with nafees, and kapali should come at no 6
1 Nafees
2 Mohammad Ashraful
3Aftab Ahmed
4 habibul Bashar
5 alok Kapali
6 pilot
7sujon
8rafiq
9mortaza
10 tapash
11 rana
What do you guys think about this

Fazal
January 30, 2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by cisco-guy
Originally posted by Fazal
<b>We could have added Tushar, Rokon, Nafees, (or even Golla) instead of Alok to give us a better position to handle situation like this.</b>

Here is ODI Stats for Alok:
====================
ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 20/01/2005)

............M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Bat 44 43 2 818 89* 19.95 64.92 0 4 17 0

............ O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowl 142.3 6 703 11 63.90 2-40 0 0 77.7 4.93

And here is ODI Stats for Al-Shahriar (Rokon):
=================================
ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 03/08/2003)

.........M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Bat 29 29 1 374 62* 13.35 52.75 0 2 7 0

................. O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling - - - - - - - - - -

Go figure out why BD selectors are choosing Alok over Rokon.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 7:25 PM GMT, by cisco-guy.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 7:27 PM GMT, by cisco-guy.
Reason: Wrong Table Format

Thanks for your guidance...

Sure if you see the career one-day record only (not considering the present form) Alok's is much better than Rokon , similar to Tushar but not better than Javed. Also Alok played more games than Tushar or Rokon. Regardless, the average of 19.92 is not something to brag about.

<i>
Alok 19.95 (43 Innings)
Rokon 13.35 (29 Innings)
Tushar 17.52 (23 Innings)
Javed 22.68 (35 Innings)
Nafees ---- ( 0 Innings)
</i>

Now the problem starts more when I tried to figure out myself more (as you suggested).

The last 10 matches that aloke played:

<i>
8 caught wk 1 L 5th ODI v Zim in Zim 2003/04 at Harare [2113]
5 caught 1 L 1st ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown [2128]
1 caught wk 2 L 2nd ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown [2129]
2 lbw 1 W Asia Cup 1 v HK in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2143]
28 caught 2 L Asia Cup 3 v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2145]
10 caught wk 1 L Asia Cup 7 v Ind in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2149]
1 run out 1 L Asia Cup 9 v SL in SL 2004 at Colombo (RPS) (d/n) [2151]
3 caught 1 L Asia Cup 12 v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo (RPS) (d/n) [2154]
17 bowled 2 L 3rd ODI v NZ in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka (d/n) [2191]
4 caught wk 2 L 1st ODI v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka (d/n) [2207]
</i>

<b>A GRAND total run of 79 with a average of a 7.9.</b> And now I can understand why Roknon's name also make some people to puke, because Rokon scored a mere grand total of 64 with the average of 6.4. Not that good right? Agree. However lets see the other player that I also mentioned (with their last 10 games):

<i>
Player TOtal Average
Alok 79 7.9
Rokon 64 6.4
Tusahr 126 12.6
Javed 187 18.7
Nafees no record.
</i>
And these are all if we don't consider the player's current form or thecurrent performance against ZIM in test, one-day or warm up matches. After all we need to play against the same ZIM team for the 5th match right?

The question is not only Alok or Rokon. The question is why Alok and not Rokon or Tushar or Javed or Jodu or Modhu? And that's makes me wonder(still) why? why? Why not Jodu-Modhu... anyone?

Need more guidance please….

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 9:31 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Mahir
January 30, 2005, 04:30 PM
is this debate regarding "Alok or Rokon or anyone else" even necessary ? Alok has been selected to play the last ODI, and thats reality. Now get on with the actual purpose of this : What to expect from Alok, as he replaces the injured Rajin!

:exclamation:

mahmoodh
January 30, 2005, 04:32 PM
8 caught wk 1 L 5th ODI v Zim in Zim 2003/04 at Harare [2113]
5 caught 1 L 1st ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown [2128]
1 caught wk 2 L 2nd ODI v WI in WI 2004 at Kingstown [2129]
2 lbw 1 W Asia Cup 1 v HK in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2143]
28 caught 2 L Asia Cup 3 v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2145]
10 caught wk 1 L Asia Cup 7 v Ind in SL 2004 at Colombo (SSC) [2149]
1 run out 1 L Asia Cup 9 v SL in SL 2004 at Colombo (RPS) (d/n) [2151]
3 caught 1 L Asia Cup 12 v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo (RPS) (d/n) [2154]
17 bowled 2 L 3rd ODI v NZ in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka (d/n) [2191]
4 caught wk 2 L 1st ODI v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka (d/n) [2207]

INTERESTING! No duck!!
May be a Duck in today's crucial match!!!

Haradhon
January 30, 2005, 05:23 PM
I think Alok will perform well in this match (theory of unpredictability, i.e., being consistently inconsistent in batting by itself is a consistency!)

Ibrahim
January 30, 2005, 06:06 PM
I'm really afraid to see Kapali in the team and breaking wining combination due to Rajin's injury. If Kapali get out cheaply he will not destroy our series wining chance, but also keep himself out BD national team for a while.

Die_Hard_Aussie_Fan
January 30, 2005, 07:04 PM
is it really a good diea to put in kapali on a such high pressure match...???
he has been out of form and he's NO Simon Catich who'd score runs in every opportunity given...but what r our other alternatives anyway?

Die_Hard_Aussie_Fan
January 30, 2005, 07:05 PM
Any chance they might bring in JO??? to open the innigs? granted JO does ok w/ average bowling attack...

Sadrul
January 30, 2005, 08:10 PM
need a good spell from kapali perhaps 10 overs 32 runs with 2 wkts and a half century in 40 balls.

Sadrul

Sadrul
January 30, 2005, 08:10 PM
only then he will be selected again, otherwise he is out..........

Ejaj
January 31, 2005, 06:18 AM
I never expected anyting from him.. He is no more same Kapali as before. so.. no expectation.

ZaKi
January 31, 2005, 06:27 AM
well said

fwullah
January 31, 2005, 06:30 AM
Look how Kapali did at the end of the match: a good run out! How else can an off form player contribute in winning a match?

fwullah
January 31, 2005, 06:31 AM
Actually 2 run outs if I can remember the scorecard correctly.

Hasib
January 31, 2005, 08:03 AM
yep two... one a direct hit!!! he didnt let us down one little bit ... ok he gave 9 runs from an over... but thats just ONE over