PDA

View Full Version : Who should open with Nafees in 5th ODI?

Zephaniah
January 30, 2005, 11:42 AM
According to latest breaking news Kapali comes in to replace injured Rajin. That left us wondering who should open with nafees in the crucial 5th ODI?

We have three options.
a) Ash
b) Rafique
c) Rana

I would not like to see Ash as opener, but at no 5. He won us a match (v Zim) batting at no 5. Since he's not in good shape and our middle order looks paper thin in 5th ODI I would rather have him at no 5.

I vote for Rafique.

Mr-khan
January 30, 2005, 11:49 AM
Ash.

protik
January 30, 2005, 11:50 AM
In a recent news (don't exactly remember where), Habibul Bashar said that Ashraful is not getting runs since he can't play his natural game when he comes to bat as the ball is getting softer. And it is difficult to play strokes when the ball is soft. I think a natural solution in that case is to send him in a lot earliar - this solution also worked for Rajin and Aftab. Rajin's injury gives the team an opportunity to try Ashraful at the top of the batting order. It doesn't matter if Ashraful won us a match at no. 5 or not as he also have cost us many matches batting at no. 5. So, I vote for Ashraful.

Edited on, January 30, 2005, 4:51 PM GMT, by protik.

CTazim
January 30, 2005, 11:57 AM
I think Ash is a logical choice. Rafique should come after Chaha.
order should be as follows

1. Nafis
2. Ash
3. Aftab
4. Bashar
5. Alok
6. Pilot
7. Rana
8. Rafique
9. Shujon a.k.a. Chaha.
10. Masri
11. Nazmul

Sam
January 30, 2005, 12:01 PM
Although we know that Ash is going to open with Nafis, I would like to see Rana is opening the innings, because Rana is a patient batsman having strokes in times.
Rafiq is also good, but we need Rafiq for the slog overs more than in the opening. Rana and Rafiq both opened ODIs and both did well, although occasionally.
On the other hand Ash is basically a stroke player and wants to go for big hitting which ends up with untimely departure.

cracky
January 30, 2005, 12:03 PM
I say send Alok to open. I hope he can come back like Rajin by changing his batting order.

Sam
January 30, 2005, 12:05 PM
CTazim
I want to bring Mashrafe a little earlier, either after 5-down or 6-down to increase the RR if required.

SS
January 30, 2005, 12:08 PM
Tapash lolz j/k
why Tapash is not playing we need him i guess for last ODI

sham1980
January 30, 2005, 12:12 PM
Alok or Rafique.... Some one with attacking instinct

amin
January 30, 2005, 12:26 PM
what about pilot?????:-/

Ahmed_B
January 30, 2005, 12:34 PM
#Best Option would be: Ash+Nafees
*Problem: that leaves our mid order with Alok+Pilot+Rana=Bit Unproductive & vulnerable.
*Plus Point: Ash may find good runs there..

#Selectors will probably choice: Nafees+Rana
*Problem: Rana may be awkwardly slow compared to Nafees.. or may even fail to sustain against new ball.
*Plus Point: Mid-order remains bit more dependable with Ash there. He did not play very bad on ODI-4.

#Gamble Choice: Nafees+Rafiq.
*Problem: Rafiq failed on last few occations.. besides, he is of good use at no. 7/8/9 for slog overs.
*Plus Point: If Rafiq clicks.... ;)

There is a bit of gamble in each option..
:flag:I will go for Ash+Nafees

kingroach
January 30, 2005, 01:56 PM
I watched in channel I news that Ash. is going to open...:duh:

Spitfire_x86
January 30, 2005, 01:59 PM
Rafique should open

Bangla Mostan
January 30, 2005, 03:28 PM
its either rana or kapali...you dont want to change the chemistry and the composure of the team.by changing everything

sham1980
January 30, 2005, 05:44 PM
Well I hope ash gets a hundred.... he can do it man .... Pilot does not like batting up the order for some reason

Die_Hard_Aussie_Fan
January 30, 2005, 07:08 PM
Pilot has tuff time w/ new ball

CTazim
January 30, 2005, 07:12 PM
Come to think of it.. I agree with SAM.

One strategy could be that we have a balance of hard hitters and settlers in both middle order and in lower order. RANA has a very bad strike rate (although he played to the contrary in the last ODI) and he needs to improve.. Kapali I simply don't know what his problem is and hope he comes out of it soon.

So, ASH AND NAFIS are good choices followed by AFTAB and BASHAR
Then

KAPALI and PILOT then MASRI & RANA.
Rafique should be for the slog overs.
I hope we don't have to play NAZMUL at all.

So here is the revised lineup

1. NAFIS
2. ASH
3. AFTAB
4. BASHAR
5. ALOK
6. PILOT
7. MASRI
8. RANA
9. SHUJON
10. RAFIQ
11. NAZMUL

Warlock
January 30, 2005, 07:27 PM
Better pick Tapash as a batsman (I am serious) that Alok. Everybody knows how well Tapash bats. He could be the perfect hard-hitting opener.

cisco-guy
January 30, 2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by CTazim
Come to think of it.. I agree with SAM.

One strategy could be that we have a balance of hard hitters and settlers in both middle order and in lower order. RANA has a very bad strike rate (although he played to the contrary in the last ODI) and he needs to improve.. Kapali I simply don't know what his problem is and hope he comes out of it soon.

So, ASH AND NAFIS are good choices followed by AFTAB and BASHAR
Then

KAPALI and PILOT then MASRI & RANA.
Rafique should be for the slog overs.
I hope we don't have to play NAZMUL at all.

So here is the revised lineup

1. NAFIS
2. ASH
3. AFTAB
4. BASHAR
5. ALOK
6. PILOT
7. MASRI
8. RANA
9. SHUJON
10. RAFIQ
11. NAZMUL

I believe Rafiq will come after Mashrafee just like the 4th ODI. Then Shujon, Rana and Nazmul.

howzatt!
January 30, 2005, 08:36 PM
according to channel I, Ash will open with nafees.

Hasib
January 30, 2005, 08:45 PM
I dont agree with any of the selections in the poll... but the best of the 3 is Ash... I wud have wanted Aftab there.

I didn't vote for Rafique coz he has proven to be a failure as an opener in recent times.

I didn't vote for Rana coz he isn't (in my opinion) a recognized batsman.

Edited on, January 31, 2005, 1:47 AM GMT, by Hasib.

sadi
January 30, 2005, 08:58 PM
Ash all the way.... seeing him in number 5 gives me a feeling that he does like to bat at that position....playing in the top order will allow him to pace himself....just like tendulkar does.....

shaoun
January 30, 2005, 09:39 PM
non of the above i say bring back javed omar. because if ashraful or rana or rafique opens i have a feeling that they are gonna bring back alok kapali and i do not want to see him in the team. if not javed omar then ashraful should open with nafees. they did open few times before for u-19 team. whoever opens it i hope alok does not replace rajin. i wish alok best of luck but he needs to prove himself all over again.

bdmoderator
January 31, 2005, 02:14 AM
I voted for Mohammad Ashraful. Because he is not in run. But he likes to strike. If he come as a opener, I think he will able to hit.

Spitfire_x86
January 31, 2005, 02:16 AM
Rafique came to open! I've won :joy: