PDA

View Full Version : This win was satisfying!

Sham
January 31, 2005, 05:15 AM
How many of you would have been happy if we had won the toss, batted, and the game followed the usual pattern? Of course, we would have won the series, and that would be something to celebrate, but it wouldn't be as satisfying.

This, on the other hand, is brilliant. I am so proud of our side! They needed to show everyone that they can chase, and what better occasion than this to do that. And not only did they chase, they bludgeoned the opposition. They played confident calcuted cricket and proved beyond doubt that they are better than this Zimbabwe team, even in one-dayers. This is what we wanted to see, not another win after batting first and the odds in our favour, but a win after batting second and with the odds stacked against us.

I must mention our bowlers as well. There isn't much to say about the batsmen, they were brilliant, but we shouldn't forget the bowlers' contribution today. Keeping Zimbabwe below 200 was the key, psychologically, and the batsmen could go out confident that this was a match they could win. The three spinners all did excellently well, Rana really kept them quiet and Enamul and Rafique picked up two wickets each!

I'll just say one thing about Aftab. This boy is growing with every performance. I wish he would have gone on to score a century, but he had the maturity to slow down when Rafique got out to ensure that atleast he would be there at the end. Well played Bangladesh!!

fwullah
January 31, 2005, 05:23 AM
Yes it was!

I'm still dumb-founded watching Aftab's innings; Rafique - we all know what he is capable of, but Aftab? Wow!

Spitfire_x86
January 31, 2005, 05:24 AM
This is the first time we've won without Chacha

fwullah
January 31, 2005, 05:26 AM
This is the first time we've won without Chacha - Yes, and we needed to win without him just to prove to ourselves that we can win without him.

AGC
January 31, 2005, 05:28 AM
VERY satisfying! Thank god they didn't drop Aftab. As usual, Rafique just showed what he's capable of. Truly our best cricketer - ever!

Bangladesh Zindabad.

mahbubH
January 31, 2005, 05:28 AM
Aftab was chosen before Nafees in the test squad! Which says a lot.

Well done team management ... both the test and ODI teams are getting in good shape.

Gerat win ... did not know BD can win this "Aussie" way!!

Tehsin
January 31, 2005, 05:34 AM
I don't see the significance of Chacha's presense in the team but hey, this was our first win one without chacha - first of many. Not that we needed him to win every match, we had Pilot all along. :)

This was an amazing win. We played like the favorites and did not let them get comfortable at any stage of the game. We won by 8 wickets with 17 overs to go. If we were batting first and we were at this stage, we would have easily crossed 300.

The new kids did excellet work in this series. They are starting to come out of their shells. This win will definitely imporve the moral of the entire team.

nsd3
January 31, 2005, 05:34 AM
BD proved they can score 200+ i all ODIs
BD proved they can win chasing in 2nd innings
BD proved they can score with almost 7 runs an over scoring rate

Pls add more if u can;;;;;;;

Tehsin
January 31, 2005, 05:40 AM
They can bowl out a team within 200
They are capable of causing mini collapse in the oppositions batting line-up

shujan
January 31, 2005, 05:52 AM
This performance will delight Whatmore more then anybody. Finally there is an ODI where Bangladesh can implemnt whatmore formula. This formula is proven effective by SriLanka. Whatmore is the coach in world cup winning Sr-Lanka team. The formula is to manipulate the 15 over fielding restriction in ODI. Bangladesh used the formula to perfection this time. If Bangladesh can manipulate this 15 over they can win big. Whatmore is finally getting the results. Awesome.:fire:

PoorFan
January 31, 2005, 05:58 AM
Satisfied for sure. Now the question may rise about the first 2 ODI team selection.
This is not the time to talk about that but need to take a lesson from this series.
Well done BD, love to see more series like this.
:bravo::fanflag:

Shish Ahmed
January 31, 2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
Yes it was!

I'm still dumb-founded watching Aftab's innings; Rafique - we all know what he is capable of, but Aftab? Wow!

Aftab was always capable of playing this type of Innings. I first remember watching him bat in the Under 19 world cup. He played some amazing shots then against a good Indian attack and made a breezy 40 odd.

I then followed him with the Under 19 boys in England and got the feeling after talking to him self belief was the key. You must believe in your own ability, i can remember sitting next to him and told him you are our next Tendulkar. (Just having a joke with him).

Nice to see him coming along, especially with today's great Innings.

Piranha
January 31, 2005, 06:31 AM
Aftab's Innings alongside Ash's 158 showed everyone that he is a very capable batsman. He followed that with some exceptional performances and this one takes the cake!

Well done boys. For once, I am genuinely proud of our team:flag:
Usually, we manage to get by with a few sneaky performances, but this one was very different. We actually smashed them!!

I conur with everyone else, it is very satisfying to bury the ghost of chasing. I would have settled for a tame victory batting first, but this really proves what we are made of:)

Shehwar
January 31, 2005, 06:45 AM
Its a special feeling.....Just the way those two batted out there...sent some 'SPECIAL SHIVERS' through the whole body.....A real satusfying victory & infact a real satisfying series all together...We were 100% successful when u consider that we've won both the series which was our first target..Well done boyz...

PROUD TO BE A BANGLADESHI !

bdmoderator
January 31, 2005, 06:49 AM
Ya it was. Bangladesh played really well. Thanks to players and coach and other officials related with the team.

Hasib
January 31, 2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by tehsin
They can bowl out a team within 200
They are capable of causing mini collapse in the oppositions batting line-up

Mini? it was Massive, !!!!! (ta)

Warlock
January 31, 2005, 07:45 AM
We can take heart from the fact that now we have at least four young batsmen who can win ODI matches for us -Nafis, Rajin, Aftab and Ash. The nucleus of a future great team is here. If these young tigers mature (some people thinks Ash is already mature) and play to their full potentials- BD will be as good as any team!

Ahmed_B
January 31, 2005, 08:44 AM
did u just say...SATISFYING??!! :D

STUNNING!
SHOCKING!!
SPELLBOINDING!!!

T I G E R L I K E .... reallly!
:D

Sham
January 31, 2005, 08:46 AM
we played like Tigers!! :)

Also, I totally forgot that we were without Rajin today, the hero of our batting in the series so far, and we didn't even miss him. Actually, I didn't even notice that he wasn't there! Amazing!

adam voisey
January 31, 2005, 09:07 AM
Well done to the tigers
I am an englishmen who has a great deal of intrest into how the tigers are progressing in both forms of the game.
Mohammed Rafique is one of the best slow left arm spinners in the world at the moment his batting isn't bad either!

reverse_swing
January 31, 2005, 09:12 AM
http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PICTURES/DB/012005/057972.jpg

Go Bangladesh Go!:fanflag:

reverse_swing
January 31, 2005, 09:13 AM
http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PICTURES/DB/012005/057975.jpg
Habibul Bashar celebrates Bangladesh's win in the fifth and deciding ODI against Zimbabwe. Bangladesh came back from 0-2 down in the series © AFP

mahbubH
January 31, 2005, 09:39 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050131/capt.xms10301311345.bangladesh_zimbabwe_cricket_xm s103.jpg

Edited on, January 31, 2005, 2:39 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

oracle
January 31, 2005, 09:48 AM
good to see habibul finishing off the game like a captain. great finish to a succesful series.

AsifTheManRahman
January 31, 2005, 09:51 AM
had this been a 50 over match, we would have scored 330! :cool:

arafath79
January 31, 2005, 10:12 AM
What a great come back by Bangladesh!!! After losing the first 2 matches they have beaten Zimbabwe by 3-2 and won the ODI series. Sabbash Bangladesh!!!!!!!:flag:

paco
January 31, 2005, 10:16 AM
Winning in style, no less - this is the sort of domination one would like to see over this Zimbabwe side, so kudos.

Now, can someone please tell me who has the fastest fifty for Bangladesh ?

Spitfire_x86
January 31, 2005, 10:19 AM
Ashraful scored the fastest fifty for Bangladesh, in last year against full strength Zimbo bowling attack.

Mon
January 31, 2005, 10:32 AM
Rafiq: 72 106 66 7 4 wow :)
Bangladesh won after loosing the toss! This is the way to win. good job :)
ENGLAND is next :)

GTI WR6
January 31, 2005, 10:42 AM
Edited on, January 31, 2005, 3:43 PM GMT, by GTI WR6.

chyicarus
January 31, 2005, 10:57 AM
Well done boys- keep it up! We have a whole different challenge ahead of us- we need to perform well against a formidable team like England really soon. We need to find stability in our openers, consistency in the middle order, strong and healthy pacers and wipe off the butter off our fingers!

Cricket46
January 31, 2005, 11:02 AM
Truly satisfying end to the Zimbabwe series (test and ODI). The positives that I see are the following (not necessarily in any order):

1. The batsmen have clicked in almost all the matches. This was lacking previously when our bowlers used to do a decent job but we would still end up losing big, most of the time.
2. There have been several players who have contributed. That is the biggest positive point as far as I can see. That helps team management a lot when some key players are injured or out of form.
3. The idea of playing 2 or more spinners at home worked out well. However, this cannot be the formula against teams that play spinners well. “Horses for courses” should be the rule.
4. Our skipper looked confident even when we were 2 games down. I have seen him on some of the TV interviews during the series - he looked a different person.
5. The body language of most players were very positive.
6. Fielding, generally was very good. Traditionally, South Asian teams have not been good fielding teams. Some ground fielding and catches were of the top order.
7. The core team is emerging strongly. There will be debate on the exact composition, but surely we have a nucleus of about 16 players from whom to pick.
8. I think the selectors have done a good job as well.
9. Finally, a word about the fans – including us, here. We have been angry, sad, bitter for the last 4 years or so. But we did not desert the team.

What next? Give the players a much needed rest for their body and mind. They have passed the first test with flying colors. Let them bask in the glory for a while. They deserve it. Then they can come down to planning on how to tackle England during the summer.