PDA

View Full Version : Mashrafee's performance in the ODIs

fab
January 31, 2005, 06:22 PM
Is it just me, or was anyone else disappointed at Mashrafee's ODI performance? He wasn't in the top ten of the series for either besting innings (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/STATS/ZIM_IN_BDESH_JAN2005_ODI_BOWL_BEST_INNS_FIGS.html) , economy (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/STATS/ZIM_IN_BDESH_JAN2005_ODI_BOWL_BEST_INNS_ECON.html) , or strike rate (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/STATS/ZIM_IN_BDESH_JAN2005_ODI_BOWL_BEST_INNS_SR.html)

His bowling stats are:

2nd ODI
Mashrafe Mortaza 9 1 41 0 (1w)
3rd ODI
Mashrafe Mortaza 8.5 0 38 2
4th ODI
Mashrafe Mortaza 9 0 39 1
5th ODI
Mashrafe Mortaza 9 1 42 1 (1w)
Maybe I expected too much, but I certainly thought he'd pick up a few more wickets than that. Alternatively it could be just that the Zimbos are naturally good at playing pacers, and naturally awful at playing spin?

Ibrahim
January 31, 2005, 06:24 PM
Another issue might be the wkts was spin friendly and even Jim fastbowlers did not do good enough as well

shujan
January 31, 2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by fab
it could be just that the Zimbos are naturally good at playing pacers, and naturally awful at playing spin?

I think thats it. Same goes to West Indies players too except Lara.

Zephaniah
January 31, 2005, 06:37 PM
Wickets were dust bowls and he's still on come back trail.

I say, no worries.

Fully recovered and on form Masrafee will be a vital component in England tour.

Sham
January 31, 2005, 06:55 PM
I actually think Mashrafe did quite well. Of course nothing to set the world on fire, but he was consistent and made sure that Zimbabwe didn't get off to a flyer in any of the ODIs. Even in the 4th ODI when the opening partnership scored all those runs, they were just about at the asking rate, never far above it.

I think we have to evaluate Mashrafe's performance based on the conditions. To begin with, there was nothing in the wickets to help fast bowlers and secondly, Mashrafe had to bowl the bulk of his overs, almost all of them, in the first 15 overs when there are no fielding restrictions and in the last 10, when the opposition slogs.

In the second ODI, he didn't bowl well at the death, but he learnt from his mistakes for the remaining games and bowled much better at the end. The thing about Mashrafe is, he always gives his best and bowls his heart out on flat batting tracks (Tapash too). I don't think we can expect much more from him than what he did. On English pitches this summer though, I would watch out for the guy. If he is fully fit and learns quickly at what length to bowl in England, he will give the opposition batsmen plenty of things to think about!

Pundit
January 31, 2005, 09:09 PM
Honestly, I was dissapointed as well. But that's not being fair to the young man - like all, I just have come to expect too too much out of him whenever he bowls.

Sham, how long do you think it will be before this great guy begins to "mop up the tail" whenever called for ?

And please add your two cent on how his delivery strategy should be for this Summer when in England --?

just hit the seam, or more ?

Gracias.

Mahir
January 31, 2005, 09:27 PM
I thought Mashrafe bowled very well in the ODI series against Zimbabwe. His first spells were more than economic, with figures by the likes of 6-1-9-0 (9 runs in 6 overs) etc. It was the in the slog overs when he got hit badly. And he was bowling well in the last ODI too... i am sure u guys have seen him uprooting stumps of opposition tail enders in the slog over, just as a genuine strike bowler would.

Ehsan
January 31, 2005, 10:44 PM
I am content with his performance but not too happy. Expected better from him against Zimb.

rana
January 31, 2005, 10:47 PM
he did very well in every matches:clap::clap:

RazabQ
January 31, 2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Pundit
Sham, how long do you think it will be before this great guy begins to "mop up the tail" whenever called for ?

And please add your two cent on how his delivery strategy should be for this Summer when in England --?

just hit the seam, or more ?

Gracias.

While Sham comes back with his no-doubt weighty response, I'll post some thoughts. Before postulating what Masree should do, I went and looked at his only tour in England like conditions, namely the BD tour of NZ in 2001. Here are the raw statistics:
<pre>
v New Zealand District Association XI, Wanganui, 7-9 Dec 2001
Bowling O M R W
Mashrafe Mortaza 11 4 17 0 (1nb)

Test Averages
Name Mat O M R W Ave Best 5 10 SR Econ
Mashrafe Mortaza 2 43 4 157 4 39.25 3-100 - - 64.5 3.65
</pre>
Hardly impressive. So I went and read the match reports and articles and thought back to my own impressions from that tour. The picture that emerges is that of a raw tear-away who actually injured one NZ batsman in a first class match with a vicious bouncer. Masree back then tended to bowl slightly short. Since then, a lot has happened. Masree has matured as a bowler, and partially because of injury, has dropped his pace and focuses more on line and length these days. He can still pick his moments to be aggressive tho - witness that 2nd morning in the Chittagong test against India.

So that sets the background. What should Masree do in Eng? He lacks the height of a McGrath or Polly, so just bowling "in the corridor" wont cut it - he will not generate the steepling bounce critical to pull that strategy off. He doesn't have express pace either. However, he has proved himself to be adept at seaming the ball both ways.

I recommend a strategy of bowling a slightly fuller length and yes focusing on hitting the seam. With his accuracy Masree can keep the batsmen guessing as to whether the delivery will seam in or away, and he's nippy enough that the English batters won't automatically park their front foot forward.

Whaddaya think Sham?

Razab

Pundit
January 31, 2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks RazaB ! Great response. I would like to see Shap top that - can he ?

:)

Yes, I also remember that series very well. Masri also had 2 wicks in the opening spell of the first test in no time. Another high moment of that series was when Mahmud pummelled them to subjugation as a batsman with a very very fast 50.

fab
February 1, 2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Sham
I actually think Mashrafe did quite well.
Actually I was just comparing his performance with the Zimbo 'pacers' (i.e. Hondo, Panyangara, Chigum) who, on paper, seem to have done better. I dunno, perhaps it was wrong of me, but I expected him to tear down the Zimbo tail enders.

Lets hope he has a much better run in England!

rockpundit
February 1, 2005, 03:20 AM
There is no way anyone can criticise Mash for his performance this tour. You have to realise that Mash has just recently started playing competitive cricket after his 1-year-or-so break. This is the time for him to get his groove back. Hes definitely going to see how much his body can handle and get his line and length right before he shifts into fifth gear. But I guarantee when he does International cricket is going to have quite an all-rounder in their hands.

howzatt!
February 1, 2005, 03:43 AM
actually slog overs deteriorated mash's economy rate. in most ODIs against zimbabwe, mashrafee started well in the 1st spell, but gave too many runs in slog overs, specially 2nd ODI. i'm confident mashrafee will perform much better in england's pacer friendly wicket.

fwullah
February 1, 2005, 04:49 AM
I think that the absence of Mashrafee during our tours to South Africa, Zimbabwe had prevented Mashrafee from being the best bowler of Bangladesh. However, he did go to Australia, but only one tour on green top wickets is not enough for any fast bowler to grow up.

I'll also be eagerly waiting for the England tour, for Mashrafee to bowl on those wickets. Hope he doesn't get injured again.

Sham
February 1, 2005, 05:44 AM
I think Raza pretty much hit it on the head. The English conditions are closest to NZ, so it was a good thing to look at him there, but as was rightly pointed out, he was absolutely raw at that point (wasn't that his first series with the national side?) and I think we had one FC game before the Test series started, so he was raw and underprepared. He has come a long way as a bowler and I think he will know how to deal with similar conditions better this time.

I think Raza is right about him bowling a fullish length. I think his objective is clear: get the batsmen to play at every delivery! What he mustn't do is to allow batsmen to leave the ball on length. I think Mashrafe has a very good surprise delivery that comes into the batsmen (the ball that bowled Dravid in the Test match at Dhaka and bowled Sehwag in the second ODI). The English batsmen will always be weary of that ball coming in, so they won't be able to leave everything that pitches outside the off-stump, like they would to someone who just shapes the ball away from the bat. However, what the English are good at is to leave balls on length, ie balls that are just short of a good length and will therefore go over the stumps. With those sorts of balls, even if it comes into them, they are too short to hit the stumps, so they can leave at will! Mashrafe should be aiming to hit a good length in order to make the batsmen play. If he can get a good away shape going and with the occasional balls that cuts back in, he will keep the batsmen on their toes.

Also, a point to make about the away swinger. If one hasn't played in England before, it is very very easy to get carried away with the swing. Since our bowlers usually bowl on dusty flat tracks which aren't conducive to swing or seam, I think there is a chance that they will try to do too much with the ball here. That is something the coach (also formerly of Lancashire CCC) must warn them against. All they need to do is to pitch around off stump at a good length and get a nice away swinger going. The moment they get adventurous, they will lose their line and length, and the batsmen will be all over us. Just because you can pitch on off and get the ball to move away doesn't mean that you will be able to pitch on leg and hit off. It doesn't work like that, not for a right-hander bowling from over the wicket. They will just be pushing it too far to leg with their arm and wrist for the ball to move back! Stick to the basics, pitch on off and aim to hit the top of off-stump and the movement away will give the batsmen plenty of problems because they will have to play at those!

Lastly, no need to bowl too quick. Mashrafe has a good bouncer and he should use it judiciously. Instead, maintain a rhythm and get the swing right (Hadley, McGrath, Caddick) rather than trying to steamroll the batsmen with pace. Same goes with regard to bowling to their tail. Just because they are tail-enders doesn't mean they will wilt at the sight of Mashrafe steaming in. They also play Harmison in th e nets. Easier to get batsmen out with good balls than with pace, front-line and tail-enders!

Ahmed_B
February 1, 2005, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by fab
I actually think Mashrafe did quite well.
Actually I was just comparing his performance with the Zimbo 'pacers' (i.e. Hondo, Panyangara, Chigum) who, on paper, seem to have done better. I dunno, perhaps it was wrong of me, but I expected him to tear down the Zimbo tail enders.
Frankly speaking..ZIM batsmen played much more 'responsibly' while facing out new-ball pacers than the BD batsmen and hence played them well.. on the other hand, BD batsmen were careless and threw their wickets away. Its the spinners that made the difference and brought the series in favor of BD.
The difference of recoerds between BD & ZIM pacers is more due to the reaction of the batsmen towards them.

Besides, the supiriority of Masree over any other ZIM bowler would have been evident far more than what it is now, in pitches which are bit more supportive to Pace bowling. These pithches were 'dead-grounds' for Pacers!

Shish Ahmed
February 1, 2005, 06:16 AM
Hoping for big things from Mashrafe in England. The english conditions will definetly help his bowling.

It's not easy bowling pace in the Indian sub Continent. Still he did quite well with bat and ball.

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 11:20 AM GMT, by SHISH AHMED.

Ejaj
February 1, 2005, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Zephaniah
Wickets were dust bowls and he's still on come back trail.

I say, no worries.

Fully recovered and on form Masrafee will be a vital component in England tour.

I totally agree with u buddy.. Masree is a geneune quicky and alrounder and to get wickets on flat, low bounce BD pitches .. are defintely not so easy..in fact quite tough. In fact.. I am quite happy to see him remained fit. This guy normally tries to guve his heart and soul out for the team and. a very good gutsy player. Moreover, BD had other match winners in this series and so.. Masree could do little other than sharing some. So.. guys.. Relax.. A fit Masree will gonna do a lot of damage in seamer friendly pitches in UK..

Long LIve Bangladesh Cricket Team

arafath79
February 1, 2005, 11:54 AM
Mashrafe needs to improve his bowling speed. Because Zahid and Polash are coming to beat him and the have got more raw pace than Mashree ! :umm:

Sham
February 1, 2005, 06:58 PM
I am waiting for the person with the scholarly disposition to atleast acknowledge my lame attempt at topping Razabq. Come on man, atleast acknowledge my effort and make my day!

shovon13
February 1, 2005, 07:15 PM
hahaha....well i definitely agree with you sham.

the point made about the away series at nz being masri's first test series is the crucial one. he was a LOT younger, even less matured of a bowler back then. the one thing he had was a pure fast bowler's aggression. which he still hasn't lost, but has learned to control for the better of the team and himself. if he hadn't missed some 2 years becaues of injuries, masri would be right up there with rafiq as far as number of wickets go. and his batting ability is extra ordinary for a tail ender batsman, which is a huge plus for our team.

but of course, masri needs to continue to improve and learn from match he plays to go anywhere near the level mcgrath (the guy sachin compared him to), or walsh (masri's idol) is at. he's on right path by showing definite improvements on controlling his line/length and swing.

agree with sham on the points he raised about the bowling strategy masri should use. hit the seam, bowl a tad bit shorter than the good length with an odd bouncer, and swing both ways. if masri can do that, batters will surely be troubled. easy to say for me though...doing it on the field is the hard thing.

RazabQ
February 1, 2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by shovon13
agree with sham on the points he raised about the bowling strategy masri should use. hit the seam, bowl a tad bit shorter than the good length with an odd bouncer, and swing both ways.

Actually both of us were saying he should slightly fullish. BTW Sham, it's RazaB .. not Raza :) And I'll have to admit, I'd forgotten about Whatmore being the former coach of Lancs. That might just be quite useful. B'sides, wasn't Whatmore the coach when Sri Lanka had that succesful tour of England?

Sham & Razab - two smart-bottom forum members :)

Pundit
February 1, 2005, 10:46 PM
I am waiting for the person with the scholarly disposition to atleast acknowledge my lame attempt at topping Razabq. Come on man, atleast acknowledge my effort and make my day!

You are the best, indeed ! Thanks for providing the elaborate education on the intricacies of English conditions and her players.

Long live the Queen, but let BD prevail at the end of the day !!

One thought though - what risks do you see with Masri twisting his ankle just prior to his follow-through ? Sponge like turf with morning dew ?

fab
February 2, 2005, 03:38 AM
I am waiting for the person with the scholarly disposition to atleast acknowledge my lame attempt at topping Razabq. Come on man, atleast acknowledge my effort and make my day! Sham, I think it goes without saying that you are the most cricket-savvy dude on here. So yeah, I agree with what you said. :rolleyes:

shaheen
February 2, 2005, 05:19 AM
I think Masri did well in ODI series considering the pitch. And on the other hand I would say that Bashar field placing was not right when Masri was bowling as Bashar removed the slip players too early. We have seen many balls just edged through the slip cordon while Masri bowled. I think Masri did well in bowling even he did not get all the desrved wkts with his good bowling efforts.

Good luck Masri in his future games against England:bravo::bravo:

bourny3
February 2, 2005, 05:25 AM
Masri did well enough. I am just glad that he didnt get injured.

Special 1
February 2, 2005, 11:28 AM
Those are good figures

nasifkhan
February 2, 2005, 01:28 PM
basically the presence in the team is important.....
even if doesnt perfrom with ball ... he performs by saving 15-20 runs while fielding or scoring some quick runs.