PDA

View Full Version : Tier System again

shujan
February 1, 2005, 04:10 AM
BBC Article mentioning the tier system again. There will be a meeting in October. Where ICC president Mani mentioned Bangladesh status need to be modified. That explain why Bangladesh does not have any test scheduled until october beside England tour which has been set last year. ICC now mentioning the Money Issue. According to ICC hosting countries loose money by Hosting Bangladesh as fewer people watch matches. Thats the reason they want to cancell away games for Bangladesh.

Bangladesh need to make some diplomatic moves here. Bangladesh need to talk to Mani and other cricket related authority from England, Australia, Pakistan and India to find a way were Bangladesh Abroad tour can be made profitable for hosting country. Bangladesh can play try series tournament were host countries cost may come down. Test cricket is very strong in England and Australia other countries struggle to make test profitable. Bangladesh need to arrange talk how to solve that financial part of the problem. Finance is the main issue which can send Bangladesh with a modified test status.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4223281.stm

fwullah
February 1, 2005, 04:56 AM
Bangladesh haven't yet gone to England and India until now. So how can they expect to earn money without even hosting Bangladesh?

Shish Ahmed
February 1, 2005, 05:18 AM
There is a large population of Bangladeshi's living in UK. Hopefully there will be large turn outs during BD's tour to England.

I will be there along with a few others!!

shujan
February 1, 2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
Bangladesh haven't yet gone to England and India until now. So how can they expect to earn money without even hosting Bangladesh?

They are probably finding it difficult to get sponsor.

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 10:26 AM GMT, by shujan.

roaring_tiger
February 1, 2005, 05:48 AM
hey, look how australia managed this problem, they arranged the matches in new venues.....that ensured some people were in the field to see the game...

Ahmed_B
February 1, 2005, 06:30 AM
It's weird that all these Tier talks have recently exposed their 'Original Face' shifting the whole base of issue from 'Quality of Cricket' to 'Earning from Cricket' !!

Initially, the talks started in a disguised form of 'Protecting the Purity of Cricket' & 'Maintaining a Minumum Standard' for the game. But very soon, considerable counter-arguements revived, saying, logically enuough, that every new team must be given ample time to reach that level through trial & error(as most of the now-top teams have had the luxury of faiilng over long years to do that).

Then the 'Hardliners' came out with the ORIGINAL issue 'The money-talk' !! To these Hardliners... Business issues in cricket are far more Important than Quality or Globalization/Survival of the game itself!

Read More About: ICC's recent monetary concerns. (http://in.news.yahoo.com/041019/43/2he50.html)

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 11:32 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Ejaj
February 1, 2005, 06:32 AM
Well.. what ICC think regarding money problem, sounds fairly true. Comon, if I were living in UK or Australia, I wouldnt probably buy a ticket to watch match between BD and England. Its simply plain thinking. So. i do feel that ICC has a real valid point. So, i dont think, BD playing in only home ground wouldnt hurt much to both ICC and Bangladesh. I dont mind if BD is allowed to play full test cricket against top cricketing countries, even if they are only allowed to play in home. I think.. this will help BD cricket more than others.

Ahmed_B
February 1, 2005, 06:45 AM
Ejaj: Unfortunately.. u will never learn to play on English conditions, Untill u actually do play in english conditions!

Or do u plan to creat an 'Artificial Australlian Indoor Stadium' or something in 'Jatrabari' or somewhere (like we build 'green-houses' ) in BD to learn to play in Australia or the likes of that??:duh:

Where were these Money-Problems when teams other than England/Australia had started playing Test-Cricket and only improved their game through series after series of encounter with the top-teams?

By the way.. I myself, surprisingly enough, got to know from some other members of this forum(who live in UK) that BD-England test matches tickets are already sold out!

And even if there are earning difficulties.. how responsible will it be for ICC to consider that over the process of Cricket-developement under current structure??

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 11:51 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Ejaj
February 1, 2005, 07:04 AM
crickethorizon--> I didnt mean what u meant. I simply look into the real problem with ICC and whether u accept it or not.. It is a problem. Finance run everyting in the world. I would have severly reject the option if they only send 2nd string countries like Zim and Keney on the point to only creating good enough money. But.. If they gonna send top test teams to Bangladesh, then I dont see any harm in that. Bangladesh will get the oppertunity to learn good cricket from these teams in the home soil and ppl and up comming talents will soon start comming to scene.
And.. regarding ur comparison for other cricketing nations.. i think it is really not fair to compare those time with the present time. Cricket was not a professional game at that time and there were no money involved. .Just one example, thre were no live telecast of matches that time. But , if now.. we expect all the time that some TV network will telecast BD match and if there isnt any.. then we criticise so much of that TV network. So.. MOney Does talk and lets simply not compare old times with the new.

As far as I m concerned.. I would be even more happy if Bangladesh gets the oppertunity to play against top test teams and it doesnt matter where they play. Playing home. will defintly have lots of advantages in terms to money, croud support, Talent making and Enthusiasm.

Long live Bangladesh Cricket.

shujan
February 1, 2005, 07:21 AM
One of the argument made for granting Bangladesh Test status is Bangladesh has huge cricket fan base. So it is good for cricket. This huge fan base never converted into revenue for ICC. Lack of ticket sale and very little interest from Media kept the Bangladesh series host in red. It is a business after all. Their is a true huge cost involved to host a series How many times Bangladesh can expect other nation to take a loss and host them. It is not fair for them and Bangladesh should not expect this kinda generosity from business Institute.

Bangladesh media need to get in the act and sponsor all the away Bangladesh series in the Bangladeshi channel including first class. That will give host nation some revenue. Bangladesh TV channels need to show all the games test and ODI rather then selected ones. ICC kept their side of the bargain by giving Bangladesh test status it is time for Bangladesh to keep their side of the bargain.

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 12:29 PM GMT, by shujan.

Ejaj
February 1, 2005, 07:46 AM
Totally agree

shujan
February 1, 2005, 08:45 AM
There is a way fan can contribute directly is actually going to an away series to enjoy the game and a country. That way those country get some foreign currency and we can have nice vacations. England, Australia, Zimbabwe, Srilanka ,pakistan India and NewZealand they are all nice places. So if you love Bangladesh cricket and you can afford it take your family to see a Bangladesh away series of your choice. You help Bangladesh cricket and have fun at the same time :up:

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 2:07 PM GMT, by shujan.

rafiq
February 1, 2005, 10:22 AM
Actually in England there is another way. Expat Bangladeshi-owned businesses could get in the act with sponsorships. eg those awards at the end of the game for most wickets or whatever - what are the cash prizes in England and can't Bangladeshi owned businesses step forward? It probably will make business sense. In BD it is $300 or $500 which is so pathetic half the people on this board could sponsor themselves.... actually what would it take for banglacricket.com to sponsor a $300-$500 prize in BD the future as a marketing move.

Back to ENgland, I don't know what the English residents here think about its feasibility, usefuleness in the larger context and if there are ways they can go about generating some interest from businesses.