PDA

View Full Version : Paglar Baba helped us win - Bashar

DJ Sahastra
February 1, 2005, 11:10 AM
Paglar Baba helped us win - Bashar

PTI Reports from Dhaka:

Bangladesh Cricket Captain Habibul Bashar paid glowing tributes to Paglar Baba following the team's maiden ODI and test-series triump. Talking to the reporters here at Bangabandhu National Stadium which officially hosted its last cricket match with the fifth one-day international between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe yesterday, Bashar mentioned, among the reasons for the great fightback by the BD team, the blessings of Paglar Baba.

"Immediately after our second loss, we visited Paglar Baba's Mazaar and blessed ourself with the holy water. Babar Mazarer Pani Purao" quipped the BD captain in a fluent mix of English and Bangla.

Bashar was delighted with the victory and was full of praise for Aftab, Rafique and all of BD spinners who played a big part in the turn of fortune after the team was staring down the barrel following the consecutive losses to the Zimbabwe team.

Paglar Baba Zindabad. :joy:

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 6:40 PM GMT, by DJ Sahastra.

This is only for fun, it is not a true news report.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 6:36 PM GMT, by nasif.
Reason: Comment added to remove confusion.

Blah
February 1, 2005, 11:11 AM
who is paglar baba, where is he from?
I heard a similar "baba" exists in narayganj, is it the same one?

Blah

AsifTheManRahman
February 1, 2005, 11:19 AM
hehe...good one dj...i'm pretty sure u'll trap a lot of them with this one ;)

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 6:35 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Reason: oops...wrong thread:)

Fazal
February 1, 2005, 11:20 AM
Is is possible Rafique took double dose of the 'Pagla Babar Pani Pora'?

He looked over energized off the field as well as on the field. (The way he slogged the ball with his bat:lol:)

Can we supply some to the END team just before the game? BD players are somewhat resistant to diarrhea but ENG players? I don't think so....

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 4:28 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Spitfire_x86
February 1, 2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Blah
who is paglar baba, where is he from?
I heard a similar "baba" exists in narayganj, is it the same one?
"pagla baba" is the generic name for all "baba"s

offcutter
February 1, 2005, 11:45 AM
Hey DJ, here's a quote for you, I posted this in another place but it seems more appropriate in your case;

"Never argue with and idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience"

And it does seem that you have a wealth of experience, from reading all your 'Paglar Baba' nonsense.

DJ Sahastra
February 1, 2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by offcutter
"Never argue with and idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience"

OffCutter,

I'll take your suggestion and will remember NOT to argue with you.

mahmoodh
February 1, 2005, 12:08 PM
Did Basher mention what our PM KZia wanted to know calling him immediately after the team crushed Zimbabwe? Was that for the address of PB so that she can take blessing for saving her party from the Jamati Tuk-tak?

bdmoderator
February 1, 2005, 12:42 PM
:joy: Thanks for it. :joy:

offcutter
February 1, 2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra

OffCutter,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

couger
February 1, 2005, 02:45 PM
Hey DJ, here's a quote for you, I posted this in another place but it seems more appropriate in your case;

And it does seem that you have a wealth of experience, from reading all your 'Paglar Baba' nonsense.

Good one offcutter. Is it just me or does anyone else find DJ Shastras's comments condescending?

Tehsin
February 2, 2005, 12:04 AM
Dj, funny how of all the people, you are the one who brought up paglar baba. Does make me wonder. :)

P.s. where the heck did you find it ?

Hasib
February 2, 2005, 12:09 AM
I don't get it... wats paglar baba....,

paglar from Pagol?

baba as in Dad?

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 5:10 AM GMT, by Hasib.

DJ Sahastra
February 2, 2005, 12:21 AM
"Dj, funny how of all the people, you are the one who brought up paglar baba. Does make me wonder."

Tehsin,

It was Shovon who used the phrase "Paglar Babar Mazarer Pani Pura_o" or something like that after the 2nd ODI and was also kind enough to translate it for me.

And i found it quite cool. In fact, i love it.

It is indeed unfortunate that some of the members don't find it cool.

couger
February 2, 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by tehsin
Dj, funny how of all the people, you are the one who brought up paglar baba. Does make me wonder. :)

DJ's been posting these annoying little 'paglar baba' nonsense for the past few days. He's making fun of BD's recent success. He made this one up.

rafiq
February 2, 2005, 12:31 AM
Couger, DJ;s been around on the board for a bit and based on his posts I don't have any reason to believe he is making fun of BD's recent successes. But you may be the best judge of that. Shall we hang him?

couger
February 2, 2005, 12:34 AM
It was Shovon who used the phrase "Paglar Babar Mazarer Pani Pura_o" or something like that after the 2nd ODI and was also kind enough to translate it for me.

And i found it quite cool. In fact, i love it.

It is indeed unfortunate that some of the members don't find it cool. [/quote]

Hey DJ, you oughta have enough between the ears to realize when to quit, when a joke is not amusing anymore. Shovon's remark was witty and timely and most in this forum found it to be so. Yours on the other hand has become old, almost like a cliche. It is bordering on being offensive now. You sound like Navjot Singh Sidhu when you keep bringing up 'paglar baba.'

Come up with something orignal.

couger
February 2, 2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by rafiq
Couger, DJ;s been around on the board for a bit and based on his posts I don't have any reason to believe he is making fun of BD's recent successes. But you may be the best judge of that. Shall we hang him?

Heyyyy, we're only ranting and raving here. No need to hang anybody.

DJ Sahastra
February 2, 2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by couger
DJ's been posting these annoying little 'paglar baba' nonsense for the past few days. He's making fun of BD's recent success. He made this one up.

Couger,

You must be sick.

I have better things in life than to waste time making fun of any team. I have NEVER mad fun of BD team, even during heated exchanges with the members of this board.

The "Paglar Baba" thing was in a lighter vein, In fact, i am astonished to see how you can take it as making fun of BD team. I don't know how anyone can make fun of a team that just foughtback to come from 0-2 down to win the series.

I don't know why am i even bothering to answer you. Damn!

couger
February 2, 2005, 12:49 AM

Couger,

You must be sick.

I have better things in life than to waste time making fun of any team. I have NEVER mad fun of BD team, even during heated exchanges with the members of this board.

The "Paglar Baba" thing was in a lighter vein, In fact, i am astonished to see how you can take it as making fun of BD team. I don't know how anyone can make fun of a team that just foughtback to come from 0-2 down to win the series.

I'll take offcutter's suggestion.

DJ Sahastra
February 2, 2005, 12:52 AM
"Hey DJ, you oughta have enough between the ears to realize when to quit, when a joke is not amusing anymore. Shovon's remark was witty and timely and most in this forum found it to be so. Yours on the other hand has become old, almost like a cliche. It is bordering on being offensive now. You sound like Navjot Singh Sidhu when you keep bringing up 'paglar baba.'

Come up with something orignal. "

Couger,

Your objection noted. I can't claim that i am an expert on understnding what is funny and what is offensive, since there are cultural barriers. If i mentioned "Paglar Babar" a numerous time, it was only because I LIKED using the term and not because i expected everyone to like it or everyone to fall in love with it.

And i think i am well within my rights to do that (post what i like) on this board.

Hasib
February 2, 2005, 12:59 AM
Cud someone plz answer my earlier post...

DJ Sahastra
February 2, 2005, 01:04 AM
Hasib,

Only Shovon can answer who is "Paglar Baba", but i think it is some famous fictional/real saintly character with some divine/magical power to bless. I think Baba = Saint or Elderly/Old Man as in "Fakir" or someone.

capslock
February 2, 2005, 01:14 AM
couger, I think you are taking this way too seriously, DJ is a BD wellwisher, now let's stop this arguing, if you don't like the thread, don't post in it.

PoorFan
February 2, 2005, 01:43 AM
So, next time Bashar and his boys should take a shower of that holly water to keep "holly luck" in favor for long.
Damn! they should do that before India series held just couple of months ago!!!.

shujan
February 2, 2005, 01:49 AM
Couger you need Pagla babar blessing, infact lots of blessing. :)

Kana-Baba
February 2, 2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by tehsin

couger,

a little bit of sense humor is required to survive in life!:)

abu_akif
February 2, 2005, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by mahmoodh
Was that for the address of PB so that she can take blessing for saving her party from the Jamati Tuk-tak?

What do you mean??

Piranha
February 2, 2005, 06:38 AM
Some of the posters have completely misunderstood DJ's posts. Please make sure that you actually read some of his older posts to get a sense of what he is trying to convey.

Once again, I have to mention, some of the members here are so overly sensitive of comments made about the BD team, that they jump on the "he is making fun of BD so lets badmouth him" bandwagon. Please try to use the stuff between your ears, before actually hitting the post button.

DJ, keep up the good work on learning Bangla. You are indeed getting good at it, though at times things are lost in translation......;)

couger
February 2, 2005, 07:43 AM
Couger,

Your objection noted. I can't claim that i am an expert on understnding what is funny and what is offensive, since there are cultural barriers. If i mentioned "Paglar Babar" a numerous time, it was only because I LIKED using the term and not because i expected everyone to like it or everyone to fall in love with it.

And i think i am well within my rights to do that (post what i like) on this board.

DJ,

Yes you ARE within your rights. But lets turn the table here for a second then you'll understand where I'm coming from. Let say the Indian team does great against Pakistan in the upcoming tour and I keep saying this is because they bathed in the Holy Ganges. Once or twice would be OK. But after that it would not be funny anymore, right?

Then again we all have our crossed to bare. So, no problem, carry on.

I enjoyed your other posts-especially the one comparing India's first ever test win with that of Bangladesh's, even though I didn't agree with a lot of it.

akabir77
February 2, 2005, 08:49 AM
Lighten up dude I guess it is true that Bangalis can't take jokes they r too serious....

Couger bhai dj beta bhalo lok shey to offedn kortey chai nai he was just joking ....

Whats so bad about getting the blessing of pagla bab/ mother(as Jr said he got 6 wk cause his mother told him to do so....)
No body is down playing bd win..

offcutter
February 2, 2005, 09:01 AM

Couger,

You must be sick.

The "Paglar Baba" thing was in a lighter vein, In fact, i am astonished to see how you can take it as making fun of BD team. I don't know how anyone can make fun of a team that just foughtback to come from 0-2 down to win th

Couger, DJ, chill-----both of you please. I'm sorry I started this with DJ. Forget the whole thing. Shake hands and make nice. Good luck to both of you and keep posting....

Fazal
February 2, 2005, 09:50 AM

OffCutter,

But you didn't followed it strickly. Now see where you are? There is no way you can win now unless you get some Paglar Pani pora. :P

Fazal
February 2, 2005, 09:51 AM
<b>'ram-gorurer chana' alert! (Say)</b>

belal
February 2, 2005, 10:01 AM
ashamed to read this about Paglar baba. People forget that it is Allah who is the only one who can frant our wishes, not anyone. Allah is the power and whom we ask for. And the holy water, what holy water, there is no holy like ZamZam water

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 10:21 AM

Couger,

You must be sick.

The "Paglar Baba" thing was in a lighter vein, In fact, i am astonished to see how you can take it as making fun of BD team. I don't know how anyone can make fun of a team that just foughtback to come from 0-2 down to win th

Couger, DJ, chill-----both of you please. I'm sorry I started this with DJ. Forget the whole thing. Shake hands and make nice. Good luck to both of you and keep posting....

yeah guys...kiss and make up :)

Kana-Baba
February 2, 2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by belal
ashamed to read this about Paglar baba. People forget that it is Allah who is the only one who can frant our wishes, not anyone. Allah is the power and whom we ask for. And the holy water, what holy water, there is no holy like ZamZam water

---> oi mia, apni abar ei shob ki pechal shuru korlen? ekta funny thread niya serious hoya gelen, ar religion taina anlen? apnare eishob gyan (knowledge) dite hoibo na; public shob e jane ar shob e bujhe.

puran pagol bhat pai na, notun pagol er amdani.:E

cricket_pagol
February 2, 2005, 01:31 PM
puran pagol bhat pai na, notun pagol er amdani :clap: good one

Some people are taking this thread too seriously, we all need to chill out and relax.

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
hehe...good one dj...i'm pretty sure u'll trap a lot of them with this one ;)

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 6:35 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Reason: oops...wrong thread:)

bull's eye (though in a wrong way) :)