PDA

View Full Version : Selection of Shanto in 3rd ODI vs IND

fwullah
February 2, 2005, 05:23 AM
Do you remember that Hasibul Hussain Shanto was digged in from no where to play in the 3rd ODI against India?

I read in Kriralok today that 'Shahadat Hossain Rajib' was almost certain to be in the side when the selectors thought that he's not yet ready to make a debut for Bangladesh and so they picked Shanto instead.

Mr-khan
February 2, 2005, 05:47 AM
This is an old and sad news.That nonsence(Shanto) gave 53 runs in 6 over without taking any wicket.He is still playing domestic cricket.Selectors said that Shanto was the highest wicket taker in domestic league thats why they selected Shanto for last odi but i did not find his name in top 3 bolwers list of domestic cricket.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 10:48 AM GMT, by mr-khan.

mahbubH
February 2, 2005, 05:56 AM
<< Shanto was the highest wicket taker in domestic league thats why they selected Shanto for last odi but i did not find his name in top 3 bolwers list of domestic cricket. >>

When Shanto was selected for BD there were few more games left in Dhaka league ... may be he did not get enogh wickets after the India match to finish in top three.

Shehwar
February 2, 2005, 09:17 AM
Therez not much one can do if hez told to play against the mighty Indians just three hours before the game was to start...U know...the poor chap was called on from no where...& I strongly oppose him being called "NONSENCE" by mr-khan....Becuz in that match almost everyone took a beating....Had he played against this Zimbabwean side, things wud have been a whole lot different....Hez given a lot to BD cricket & has been country's number one strike bowler for quite some time....I'm sure i don't need to remind anyone of the ICC trophy and his heroics against Scotland in World Cup '99.....:fanflag:

chinaman
February 2, 2005, 09:38 AM
It was some sort of gamble more than educated step that just didn't pay off. We need to remember that, just like the tigers themselves, the selectors are within the learning curb too. Clearly it was not neither a fruitful nor a bright choice. Hopefully the selectors will learn from it.

The sad part ofcourse is that when someone like a poster above decided to call Shanto a nonsence. Shanto is definitely not in his prime and it is not him who decides the playing eleven. I strongly believe Shanto tried his best and who doesn't know India has a formidable batting line-up?

fwullah
February 2, 2005, 09:53 AM
On current form, Shanto may be a nonsense, but there was a time in his career when Shanto was the leading wicket taker from an ICC Associate country and was the fastest to reach the 25 ODI wickets among all the Bangladeshis.

mahbubH
February 2, 2005, 10:59 AM
>> the fastest to reach the 25 ODI wickets among all the Bangladeshis.

I heard about fastest 50 at the minimum but fasted 25! I will not be surprised to see the recod of fastest 10 or 15 wickets!

Shanto has one record for sure, he is the 2nd worst ODI bowler (Henry Olonga is the worst) in terms of economic rate among the players who played at least 20 (or 25) ODI matches. He has another record he played his first five tests against five different test teams (closest to him probably 3 tests).

Source: RSC (forget the link but possible to find).

offcutter
February 2, 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by chinaman

The sad part ofcourse is that when someone like a poster above decided to call Shanto a nonsence. Shanto is definitely not in his prime and it is not him who decides the playing eleven. I strongly believe Shanto tried his best and who doesn't know India has a formidable batting line-up?

Agreed. Shanto has given his best while in his prime. Let us not brand him based on one performance. Besides, do you honestly believe he didn't give his best during that match against India. Indian batsmen were out there prove something and made most all of the other bowlers suffer as well. I would rather remember him for his overall services to the team. I think it is important to recocnize that.

Fazal
February 2, 2005, 11:14 AM
I believe he did give his best. Its also true for Alok, Tarek, Hannan, Faisal, etc, etc, when they played and tried their best but struggled for one reason or another ( off-form, doesn't have good technique, etc, etc).

But I also believe that specially in Shanto's case, the selectors didn't tried their best to get a better substitute (instead of Shanto).

But again how much do we know what goes on behind the curtain? We are making our judgement based on limited info here....

fwullah
February 2, 2005, 11:19 AM
heard about fastest 50 at the minimum but fasted 25!

I collected this info of being the fastest 25 wicket taker from handle's Bangladesh Cricinfo site back when Bangladesh was still an ICC Associate nation. During those times, any info on Bangladesh Cricket was a prized thing for me.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 4:21 PM GMT, by fwullah.

offcutter
February 2, 2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Fazal

But I also believe that specially in Shanto's case, the selectors didn't tried their best to get a better substitute (instead of Shanto).

True. Then we should blame the selectors and shouldn't brand Shanto as 'nonsense'. Then again I also agree with Chinaman that our selectors are on learning curve as well. But these kinds of discussions are necessary so similar mistakes are not repeated.

Thaughtful comments from most of you........Good work.

Mahir
February 2, 2005, 08:15 PM
forgive all Shanto's faults because of his match-winning run against Kenya in ICC Trophy 97. That run, although a leg-bye, is one of the most significant runs ever scored in the histrory of BD cricket. :)

BD Tigers
February 2, 2005, 09:04 PM
apnara abar Shanto re niya porchen? apnader shomossha ta ki? ekjon to abar nonsense bole feleche. bhai, puran kashoondi tainya laav nai. baad den eshob.

And please dont make bad comments about our ICC 97 heroes.