PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful interview by Rabeed

oracle
February 2, 2005, 02:44 AM
cricinfo (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/173933_COL-INTERVIEW_02FEB2005.html)

'I want to average more than 40 in both forms of the game'-Rabeed Imam

Mohammad Ashraful is 20 years old but he already is senior member of the Bangladesh side. He knows that and has started acting like one his unbeaten century against India in the recent Test-series proved his calibre. In this interview with Cricinfo he speaks about his development as a cricketer and his goals.

The series win against Zimbabwe must have been very satisfying?
It was indeed. Although I could not contribute much, it was still a wonderful feeling to be part of a history-making team. I think a big weight has been lifted with the first Test and ODI series win and the way we came back after being 0-2 down in the one-dayers was particularly pleasing.

But you said that Zimbabwe's bowling attack was the weakest you have faced. Does that take some of the gloss away from this victory?

What I said was that among the teams we have played against, theirs was the least threatening bowling attack. But they are an international team mind you and they had given England some worries not too long ago. Contrary to what many people think, Zimbabwe are not a side that will lie down and get rolled over. We had to play really well to beat them. Also you have to remember that we were under a lot of pressure, probably more than ever because we went into this series knowing that we had a chance of winning. We weren't accustomed to that situation.

Read more... (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/173933_COL-INTERVIEW_02FEB2005.html)

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 7:46 AM GMT, by oracle.

fab
February 2, 2005, 03:30 AM
Nice interview
Originally posted by oracle
Mohammad Ashraful is 20 years old but he already is senior member of the Bangladesh side.

Since it seems that he has been around for so long, a lot of us tend to forget how young he really is...

RazabQ
February 2, 2005, 03:33 AM
I bet this interview was done in Bangla, yet when you read Rabeed's write up, Ashraful comes accross this very articulate chap. I for one am glad that Rabeed is in with the Wisden folks :)

cricket_pagol
February 2, 2005, 04:24 AM
Ashraful has excellent attitude... I hope he matures futher and does well in England :bravo:

shujan
February 2, 2005, 06:38 AM
A long nice interview of Ash in cricinfo.

Cricnfo Link (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/173933_COL-INTERVIEW_02FEB2005.html)

jeesh
February 2, 2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, Bangladesh amongst the top 4 in 5 yrs! :E

Darkwarrior
February 2, 2005, 11:34 AM
Ashraful will no doubt be a great player for bangladesh

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 11:49 AM
i told you he can't play ordinary bowling :P

btw..."Big scoring is a habit"? what the hell is he talking about?

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 12:23 PM
No doubt Ash is talented but very inconsistant. He's been talking the talk of late. Now it's a very good time to walk the walk.

It would be highly mature move for him if he also shows eagerness to bowl LB every now and then. Potential is there even in bowling deparment and will add good value to the team.

We already have quality SLAs. If Ash (LB) and Rajin (OB) can realise their potential as decent part time bowlers then we will have an exiting bowling line up to play on every surface.

Ahmed_B
February 2, 2005, 12:30 PM
"RI: And where does Mohammad Ashraful feature in that dream as the captain?

Ash: No. I don't want to think about captaincy for another five years at least. I just want to play as much as I can. But if I ever become captain, I want to be someone like Stephen Fleming. He is so calm, and that helps the team relax. I don't have too many personal goals, but I would love to have an average of at least 40 in both forms of the game."

Good to hear that he looks forward to calm himself down and attain some sort of concentration. He does need to work on that.

nasifkhan
February 2, 2005, 01:01 PM
Picchi choto hoileu...kotha barta to boroder moto

cricket_pagol
February 2, 2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by jeesh

You will have to eat your word in 4/5 yrs. Shabash bangladesh :fanflag:

BD Tigers
February 2, 2005, 01:37 PM
very matured words from our little master. I just hope he works on his concentration more and score more consistently. I liked the part where he is not looking for captency. But i think he can be a good material for future. May be after next world cup.

Good job Rabeed.

Spitfire_x86
February 2, 2005, 01:46 PM
No doubt that Ash is a big idiot. Even the most optimistic person about BD cricket won't tell that BD is going to be amongst top 4 within 5 years.

And he can keep dreaming about averaging 40+ in both Test and ODI. It will be hard (not impossible) for him to get 40+ career average in Test, but 40+ career average in ODI is totally impossible for him.

Hasib
February 2, 2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by shujan

Cricnfo Link (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/173933_COL-INTERVIEW_02FEB2005.html)

Thats exactly the same thing....

capslock
February 2, 2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
No doubt that Ash is a big idiot. Even the most optimistic person about BD cricket won't tell that BD is going to be amongst top 4 within 5 years.

And he can keep dreaming about averaging 40+ in both Test and ODI. It will be hard (not impossible) for him to get 40+ career average in Test, but 40+ career average in ODI is totally impossible for him.

Why is that so hard to believe? Even if it doesn't happen, it's the right attitude to have.

nasifkhan
February 2, 2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86

you are exactly spot on....

shujan
February 3, 2005, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Hasib
Originally posted by shujan

Thats exactly the same thing....

I posted the topic first. My topic was merged into this topic.

nihi
February 3, 2005, 02:24 PM
Here is a brief progonosis of ash's avg at the end of his career.

Assumption #1:

Ashraful will play one of the mainstays of BD cricket team before he retires, partly assuring that he will play all the tests that BD will play. Sachin Tendulkar has played total of 120 tests and 342 ODIs over a career life of 15 years, to date. Taking into consideration the relative parseness that BD plays matches with and assuming that Ashraful will play 12 more years let's say he will play:

Tests : 80
ODIs: 200

Assumption #2:

He will play both innings in every test and will not stay not out in any single innings.

he will have to maintain the following averages

In test: 44.24
In ODI: 45.20

Following are the averages that Ashraful maintained for last 5 and 10 matches in tests and ODIS:

<table><tr><td></td><td>Test</td><td>ODI</td></tr>
<tr><td>5 matches:</td><td>33.75</td><td>25.25</td></tr>
<tr><td>10 matches:</td><td>33.47</td><td>21.44</td></tr></table>

Edited on, February 3, 2005, 7:28 PM GMT, by nihi.

Edited on, February 3, 2005, 7:28 PM GMT, by nihi.

shovon13
February 3, 2005, 06:06 PM
good job nihi

ash hasn't actually been lighting it up recently (except the 158*), but he is actually becoming more consistent. cool!

tiger_man
February 4, 2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

his bowling is no better than our dear old akram khan...slow ball hardly any spin, swing etc.

tiger_man
February 4, 2005, 06:56 AM
btw, his english is pretty good, compared to the rest of the team

cricketfan
February 4, 2005, 07:09 AM
I do not think the interview was conducted in English. Rabeed Imam has interviewed him in Bangla and then written a write up in english. When Ashraful got man of the match award in the second test against India and he was being interviewed by Ravi Shastri, he was unable to speak one coherent sentence in English. His English is non- existent as of now, but the situation may change in future if he has to speak in a lot of MOM presentations.

Edited on, February 4, 2005, 12:14 PM GMT, by cricketfan.

AsifTheManRahman
February 4, 2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by tiger_man
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

his bowling is no better than our dear old akram khan...slow ball hardly any spin, swing etc.

i was referring to the opposition bowling

Fazal
February 4, 2005, 10:50 AM
The common beleif is,

"Ash plays well against strong opponent but playes bad against weak bolwling"

Where as

"Rokon plays well against weak bowling but fails against strong bowling"

Then why not switching the two based on opponent bowling strength?

:P

Ahmed_B
February 4, 2005, 11:01 AM
"Ash plays well against strong opponent but playes bad against weak bolwling"

<<< if this is Ash's status... then he got some problems! and that is probably "Complacency: the worst enemy of any cricketer: the demon within himself!"

It makes a short-living cricketer with good amount of "Comply" material planted in mind! ;)