PDA

View Full Version : BD-A wins by 8 wickets on first match in UAE

Ahmed_B
February 2, 2005, 12:25 PM
Shrif took 6 wickets to Bowl-out the opposition (couldnt figure out which) for 132.
BD reached the target in 37 overs.. Tushar Imran 52*
-NTV News.

anyone knows UAE websites where matches are being followed up??

Edited on, February 4, 2005, 4:49 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Reason: correcting scores/info

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 12:26 PM
this is a completely useless tour.

i also wish they could play the zim national team rather than the a team.

fwullah
February 2, 2005, 12:32 PM
I think an U-19 team playing the UAE national team would have been better?

Or, is this team virutally an U-19 team with the except of a few experienced players like Sanwar and Tushar?

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 12:37 PM
i dunno. with away tours getting cut off, the least we can do is try and arrange matches with some quality A sides, instead of teams like UAE. however, if this is for the good of uae cricket, i wouldnt mind us playing the big brother role once in a while.

Ahmed_B
February 2, 2005, 12:39 PM
any info on the opposition strength?
r there UAE national team players in this UAE-A side?

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 12:41 PM
it's the uae national team.

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 12:43 PM
Good show. Wins always taste sweet.
Congrats Tushar.

I think this tour actually a good thing for our fringe players. First part of it, BD A matches in UAE, is mainly to help the development of cricket in UAE. Second part is more important to test our young corps of fast bowlers like Shahadat Hussain, Shafaq Al Zabir and Md. Sharif as they will get to play on some bouncy pitches in Harare and Bullawayo. Their performance will be cosely observerd for England bound team selection. I think we'll go to England with atleast 4 genuine pacers and another one who can bat a bit (but hopefully not Mushfique). So atleast a place for pace bowler is up for grab. Also , I think, the selectors are in search for a suitable no 6 batsman. In England Pilot should come at 7. So It's a good opportunity for Tushar Imran, Shahreer Nafees and Shamsur Rahman , may be for Rokon too, to prove their mettle.

As for the quality of Zim A side, we need to wait and see. Some of their current national players with some 'rebel' players may form their A side.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 5:45 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.

mahbubH
February 2, 2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
any info on the opposition strength?
r there UAE national team players in this UAE-A side?

According to schedule it should be UAE national team. They did not perform that bad in the last Asia cup. I was expecting a good fight from them. Nice to see Tushar still in runs. Getting 6 wickets in any form of cricket is a big achievement.. congrats Shahadat.

Ahmed_B
February 2, 2005, 12:46 PM
Interesting!
UAE wasn't a very weak team in recent past.. I remember they defeated our national team few times during the time we played ICC trophy.

And now our young A-side dominating them like this?!
Maybe thei lost their 'migrated' players(from Pak,Ind.. etc.) and have become a weak side..

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 12:46 PM
Can anyone help with full score card?

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 12:53 PM
well these two tours should NOT be the grounds for including any player in the national team. the experience from the zim tour, however, may come in handy to a small extent.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 6:39 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Reason: typo

Beamer
February 2, 2005, 12:55 PM
As far as the test side is concerned, there are not too many spots left except for an opener in the near future. Among the six batmen needed for the test side, five are pretty set in the order of nafis, bashar, rajin, ash and aftab. Only golla's spot is shaky. We might see a new opener with nafis in England ( test side only ). masri, tapash ( or a new pacer ), enamul, rafiq complete the bowling options.

For one dayers, opening is not an issue with rajin opening with nafis. Aftab, bashar, ash 3,4,5 are pretty set. Indeed the no.6 spot is open. Tushar, Shamsur rahman et all..may get a chance since we will play with six batsmen in England, or at least I am assuming that we will.

rafiq
February 2, 2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Interesting!
UAE wasn't a very weak team in recent past.. I remember they defeated our national team few times during the time we played ICC trophy.

And now our young A-side dominating them like this?!
Maybe thei lost their 'migrated' players(from Pak,Ind.. etc.) and have become a weak side..

How long ago did we play in the ICC trophy? It was so long ago that it doesn't even serve as much of a barometer. You can't compare UAE with a test team infrastructure and exposure. I am sure the UAE team now is much much stronger than whatever team played in the ICC.

an 8 wicket win is as it should be. let's hope they don't get overconfident and drop any games like we have been in the past against namibia, canada and what not.

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Beamer
As far as the test side is concerned, there are not too many spots left except for an opener in the near future. Among the six batmen needed for the test side, five are pretty set in the order of nafis, bashar, rajin, ash and aftab. Only golla's spot is shaky. We might see a new opener with nafis in England ( test side only ). masri, tapash ( or a new pacer ), enamul, rafiq complete the bowling options.

For one dayers, opening is not an issue with rajin opening with nafis. Aftab, bashar, ash 3,4,5 are pretty set. Indeed the no.6 spot is open. Tushar, Shamsur rahman et all..may get a chance since we will play with six batsmen in England, or at least I am assuming that we will.

Beamer. Agree most part of it.
Test opener (possible candidate Shahreer Nafees) and ODI no 6 (possible candidate Tushar Imran) positions are up for grab along with a pace bowling option. Although everything will depend on our best suited team composition.

For test team composition respecting early summer schedule I think big dilemma awaits whether to pick both Rafique and Enamul. From the look of your test team it seems a pace bowler short, but I know quality SLAs are our strength. Aftab can be used as stock bowler. Please no Mushfique.

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 02:00 PM
I think both should be picked. Enamul caused real problems for the English batters in Dhaka remember?

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 02:01 PM
i wonder how chacha fits in the test team though. i, however, would like to give him a shot, considering his records in england.

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
I think both should be picked. Enamul caused real problems for the English batters in Dhaka remember?

I would play both of them without a shade of doubt if we were playing England in late June/ early July in England. Though I suspect we will end up playing both of them in tests irrespective to conditions.

observer
February 2, 2005, 02:05 PM
quick report from first match.

UAE won the toss and batted first.

Sharif picked up two wickets in his first spell, but Shafaq bowled superbly at the other end, consistently beating the bat but failed to get a wicket. Rajib replace Sharif, and bowled well picking up two wickets, including a great delivery that beat the batsmen and took the top of off stump.

Shakib Al Hasan and Mahmud Ullah Riyad then bowled some tight overs of off spin, with Sakib picking up two wickets and missing a third with a catch being spilt.

Sharif then returned and cleaned up the tail to finish with 6 for 24, delivering some great yorkers to remove the lower order.

Bangladesh commenced the chase and steadily reeled in the runs. Shamsu Rahman was caught behind for 10 before NAfees Ahmed and Tushar Imran point on 78 before Nafees Ahmed was run out after a mix up for 55. Tushar and Roqibal Hassan finished the job with Tushar finishing 52 not out.

The UAE team is their main team who are heading to Malaysia on Feb 8 to play their final of the ICC intercontinental cup against Malaysia. UAE are still regarded as the leading associate country in Asia. There form tonight was a little disappointing, but hopefully they put up a good fight tomorrow.

The purpose of the tour is two fold: As a test member country now, their is an obligation as part of the ACC fast track program to assist the associate countries to develop. Secondly it serves as a warm up/ practice series before we head to Zimbabwe.

I think we should all think very carefully, before we start saying tours such as this are a waste of time. Keep in mind that in reality we are closer in the standard to the leading associate countries then we are to the leading test nations. Don't become complacent or aloof because we have won a series against a severely weakened Zimbabwe team. We have made some progress, but there is still a long way to go. Any opportunity we get to play in other countries in different conditions, using different match plans, providing opportunities to learn is very much still needed.

Also keep in mind that this team contains 4 members of our next U19 squad as well as some recently graduated U19's so many of them are still very young and learning.

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 02:08 PM
i wonder how chacha fits in the test team though. i, however, would like to give him a shot, considering his records in england.

Chacha doesn't fit in the test team even in the wildest dream. Actually we should closely watch Shafaq's improvement in coming days. He's tall, though not vary fast, so could extract some bounce from the pitch. With accuracy and hitting the deck in right length he could be real handy. But that remains to be seen.

chinaman
February 2, 2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks coach for the in-depth report. What can we do without you :)

bdmoderator
February 2, 2005, 02:13 PM
this is a completely useless tour.

i also wish they could play the zim national team rather than the a team.

No. Please don't under estimate the team. They are trying to come to International cricket and we must help them and support them. Also they are from Asia. So the deserve to get support from Bangladesh to improve their cricket.

If anyone from other strong teams country will tell that their country's tour of Bangladesh is useless that will must heart us.

Your this comments will heart people of U.A.E.

oracle
February 2, 2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks a lot coach:

I have a few queries;

is this the UAE team that played in Asia cup?

*Khuram Khan Rizwan Ahmed Sameer Zia Syed Maqsood Mohammad Tauqeer Mohammad Fawad Naeemuddin Ramveer Rai Arshad Ali Abdul Rehman Ali Asad Abbas Asghar Ali Asim Saeed Fahad Usman

Have a good night's sleep to you and the boys
:)

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks coach. Spot on you are in regard to the value of this tour.

Md. Sharif may be the player i'm talking about who bowls mainly but can bat a bit? We'll see.

Mahir
February 2, 2005, 02:16 PM
Good start to the tour for the BD boys! Congrats to Sharif, Nafees and Tushar.

:clap:

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 7:18 PM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

Optimist
February 2, 2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks coach! I hope this tour will prove that we are far ahead of UAE. It will put a damper on the supporters of two-tier system.

nasifkhan
February 2, 2005, 02:24 PM
so...sharif took 6 wckts...not shahadat

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Zephaniah

Chacha doesn't fit in the test team even in the wildest dream. Actually we should closely watch Shafaq's improvement in coming days. He's tall, though not vary fast, so could extract some bounce from the pitch. With accuracy and hitting the deck in right length he could be real handy. But that remains to be seen.

i'd think so too. however, whatmore may just play chacha in the tests in england.

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2005, 03:08 PM
i will have to disagree with the coach for once. i personally see no benefit from touring a weak UAE side. i understand that we probably still run along the same (or almost the same) lines as the top associate nations, but the UAE are far from being the top among the associates. Yes, they may be a regular winner of the ACC, but i don't see them playing in the WC in the near future. this is not complacency from winning two back to back series at home - i just feel we won't benefit from the uae tour.

having said that, i am completely in favor of this tour if it's for development of cricket in uae (as i mentioned earlier). i am more than happy if we play the big brother role. after all, the uae are an emerging team and a very good prospect. i'd put my money on uae to become one of the new test playing nations in the next 20 years, given their infrastructure, grounds and the amount of money invested into the game. i have nothing against them, and don't intend to demean them in any way.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 8:09 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Beamer
February 2, 2005, 03:33 PM
Nice report from the Coach as always. And thanks for taking the time out to infrom us in details since we don't have any correspondents travelling with the team. I like what the three pacers have done and any time some one can pick up 6 wkts in a one day game has to be applauded. Its good for Sharif in his come back trail. I assume from the report that Shamsur rahman is opening with Nafees. Very interesting. Also, would like to know who is keeping for the side? Mushfiqur Rahim or Dhiman? Any possibility of one of them opening in a game? Also, the inclusion of two off spinners in the squad is a good one. We desperately need to groom a good off spinner for the future.

bangalee
February 2, 2005, 03:38 PM
a win is always a win

:fanflag:

Fazal
February 2, 2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by bangalee
a win is always a win

:fanflag:

:up: A win is a win is a win.

Looks like people are not happy that its not a close game.:-/

Nafees scored a 50+. :up:
Unfortunately he was run out.

Beamer
February 2, 2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Beamer

Beamer. Agree most part of it.
Test opener (possible candidate Shahreer Nafees) and ODI no 6 (possible candidate Tushar Imran) positions are up for grab along with a pace bowling option. Although everything will depend on our best suited team composition.

For test team composition respecting early summer schedule I think big dilemma awaits whether to pick both Rafique and Enamul. From the look of your test team it seems a pace bowler short, but I know quality SLAs are our strength. Aftab can be used as stock bowler. Please no Mushfique.

I thought about it as well and the early English conditions may dictate the inclusion of an extra seamer instead of two spinners. Indeed a dillema. But then again, you want to go with your best available weapons at your disposal. Leaving out Enamul for a decent talha or somebody else will be tough. In the end of the day, I think we will play to our strength but that remains to be seen. I say that because in our last trip to the Carribean, we took three left arm spinners with us even though the pitches there support pacers more than spinners. As a result, we played rafiq and rana in test matches. How about the West indians of eighties? travelling to India with four pacers? That was their strength though traditionally India is more responsive to spinners. Also, Australia recently played three pacers and one spinner in India leaving McGill out. Only when you have an abundant of replacements in every dept of bowling, only then you can play to strategic advantages of the pitch. Until then, go with your best options. Thats my belief. In any case, there is a lot of time left and lot of things can happen. Any one of the trio from these squad to UAE may even come up big and claim a spot in a test side against England.

Sham
February 2, 2005, 04:34 PM
I think even though Enamul is probably our best bowler, we will have to leave him out here. He is just not suited to playing here, especially in the early part of summer when it is damp and the wickets are green and moist. He will flight the ball, but it wont grip and turn off the pitch! If you look at the BD u19 side that toured England last summer, even against the English u19, Enamul had a pretty sorry time! I think we will have to take a third seamer here, will be criminal not to.

Richard, thanks a lot for the report. I am really curious about Shafaq! Although Sharif is coming back well, I always thought he was too short and his action too low for him to be an effective fast bowler in Test cricket. However, Shafaq is perfect. He is very tall, has pace and best of all, is left-handed! He would be the ideal partner for Mashrafe if he can prove himself good enough for the Test side. I hope he has a good tour and gives the selectors the option to pick him for England. A tall seamer would be ideal for here!

Beamer
February 2, 2005, 04:47 PM
sham
I also think we will have to take three seamers in the test side for England. Its just that Enamul has made it very tough for the selectors to ignore him. In the end, its a good problem to have. Do not disagree with you at all. Now, I will be very interested to see how these three pacers do in UAE and Zim. One of them might very well be in the side.

Have you seen the Duleep trophy side that we picked ? Strong batting. Just saw that Mushfiqur rahim is also in that side. The bowling however looks very average. I guess we sent what we have left. Great thing that they didn't send Masri and Tapsh. Both need rest and toiling in Indian pitches is almost suicidal. I thought Tapash needs it the most. he has been struggling a bit. Overworked maybe. A healthy tapash will be great in English conditions, specially if he comes first change.

Hasib
February 2, 2005, 05:45 PM
i will have to disagree with the coach for once. i personally see no benefit from touring a weak UAE side.

well in the article Richard pointed out we have to help the associates... we must not be selfish... PLUS...

It shows us exactly where we r compared with other countries... we know we r when other test teams r concerned, but just to show how ahead we r of the associate.

Sham
February 2, 2005, 05:53 PM
I don't really understand how any tour can be bad for us when we would otherwise not be playing any competitive cricket. The national league is starting a little too late for the A team players to take part in, even in the first game. So instead of sitting around, batting in the nets and running around a field, isn't it better to go to Zimbabwe, having warmed up against UAE? If this was the national side, I would have objected as well, since they clearly need a break right now! But this side should be playing as much competitive cricket as they can, and the UAE isn't as bad as some of you guys are making them out to be!

al Furqaan
February 2, 2005, 05:58 PM
we have an obligation to help out the minnows, as we are a test nation...so who cares if other test nations didnt help us out...and they did (asia cup each time).

however, i will disagree with the coach, i think we are closer to the top test teams than we are to top associate teams. we pummeled ZIM, and canada, and HK would be beaten much handier than ZIM. plus Mr Mcinnes misses the fact that the mental aspect of ash's 158* and our batting against ZIM, while physically, may not be significant, it is mentally momentous. Against England and Aus, i expect losses, perhaps heavy losses, but still i expect a real challenge from our boys.

for example our career average ODI strike rate for all of our batsmen is in the 50-55 range. the international test nation standard is 75-85. we are far below that, and strike rate is most indicitive of cricketing quality.

however, after India and ZIM series, i expect our batsmen's strike rates to be at least in 60-65 range even against AUS and ENG. in fact, aftab and ashraful are capable of 70ish and even 80 ish SRs. the fact that ash's strike rate is so low is that too often he has to play more passively than his nature because he comes in with BD reeling at 35-4 (remember SL game where he scored 66 off 120+ balls)?

so i respecfully disagree with coach, while fully agreeing that we are not yet competitive for the top test nations.

too sad that our away tours are being cut short at this great moment for us...but hopefully good showings in england this summer will bring back the away tours

Hasib
February 2, 2005, 06:20 PM
these games r in Sharjah arn't they?

bourny3
February 2, 2005, 07:37 PM
Is there a scorecard.

cisco-guy
February 2, 2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks Coach. Kudos to you and this BD Team for their awesome win.:fanflag:

chyicarus
February 2, 2005, 09:02 PM
Any matches- domestic, practic, international- tours- anything helps at this point. We have a good number of talented cricketers in our country and we want them to be able to perform!
Practicing is a different thing but performance comes out in a game- may it be with Timbuctoo!
We need to give our aspiring batsmen and bowlers the chance to show their potential. The best way to develop a national squad is to make the players believe that their place in the squad shouldn't be taken for granted and that others are breathing down their neck. That would create competitiveness and hunger for improvment.
Some of the members supported me about sending a team to play in Duleep/Qaid-E-Azam Trophies which would provide invaluable experience and exposure for our youngsters. But now it seems that this UAE tour is being looked at very narrowly.
But i would also stress on playing domestic cricket and also have rest so that our cricketers don't feel burnt out!
Sharif has made a good comeback and lets hope that in a year or so he could make his way back to the National squad!

akabir77
February 2, 2005, 09:37 PM
Well I don't when was the last time UAE beat us consistently? They beat us once i think with 9 players from ind-pak and sri A teams or out side A team. Then when ICC changed the rules of plyrs has to live the country they r playing for 8/9 yrs their form dropped dramatically... And we beat them in one of the Qerter/smi of the ICC trophy that we won.

And again it was not far away when we use to hear (also hearing now) that there is no point playing with BD, i was stunt to see the same comment was made toward another nation!!! Those who made those comment should apologies..

Sam
February 3, 2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks coach for your match update.
May I request you on behalf of the forum to post the result of each match, just in few words before you write elaborately.
We are totally out of conact. I personally searched the UAE media on-line, but no news. Moreover, like in Bangladesh, it seems the UAE media also relactant to publish the news of their defeat.
Thanks again for keeping us informed.

babubangla
February 3, 2005, 12:25 PM
Can anyone help with full score card?

BD A Vs. UAE Match-1 Scorecard

Match No. 01
Venue: Sharjah Cricket Stadium
Date: 02nd Feb. 2005
Toss: ECB won the toss & elected to bat first
Umpires: Tariq Butt & Iftikhar Ali
Man of the Match: Md. Sharif of Bangladesh 'A'
Results: Bangladesh 'A' won by 8 wickets

UAE Emirates Cricket Board Inning

Mohd. Taskeen c. M. Rahman b. MD. Sharif 03-05-0-0
Rashid Khan c. SA. Nafees b. Shakib Hassan 42-76-3-2
Fahad Usman c. Shakib b. MD. Sharif 13-19-2-0
Sameer Zia b. Kazi S.H. Rajib 04-10-1-0
Javed Ismail c. M. Rahman b. M.U. Riyad 19- 43- 1- 1
Miraj Khaliq b. Shakib Hassan 09- 25- 1- 0
Usman Saleem LBW b. MD. Sharif 11- 33- 1- 0
Ali Asad c. R. Hasan b. MD. Sharif 05- 11- 1- 0
Zahid Shah c. MD. Sharif 13- 14- 0- 2
Qasim Zubair LBW b. MD. Sharif 00- 04- 0- 0
Ali Not Out - 05- 03- 1- 0

Extra Runs: 8 (NB - 3 Wide - 4 Bye - 0 Leg Bye - 1)

Total Score : 132 All out in 40 Overs

Fall of Wicket 1/5, 2/22, 3/39, 4/76, 5/90, 6/101, 7/113, 8/120, 9/127, 10/132

Bangladesh 'A' Bowling

MD. Sharif 8- 2- 24- 6
Shafaq Al Zabir 8- 0- 28- 0
Kazi S.H. Rjib 9- 0- 45- 1
Shakib Al Hasan 9- 1- 25- 2
M. Riyad 6- 1- 9- 1

Bangladesh 'A' Board Inning

S.Nafees Ahmed Run Out - 55- 91- 6- 0
Shamsu Rahman c. Taskeen b. Javid Ismail - 01- 09- 0- 0
Tushar Imran Not Out - 52- 90- 3- 0
Raqaib Al Hassan Not Out - 17- 37- 1- 1

Extra Runs: 8 (NB - 0 Wide - 6 Bye - 1 Leg Bye - 1)

Total Score :133 for 2 wickets in 37.2 Overs

Fall of Wicket 1/10, 2/88

UAE Emirates Cricket Board Bowling

Ali Asad 5- 2- 9- 0
Javid Ismail 7- 0- 29- 1
Zahid Shah 3- 0- 14- 0
Qasim Zubair 6- 0- 20- 0
Sameer Zia 9- 0- 31- 0
Aosaf Ali 7- 0- 26- 0
Usman Saleem 0.2- 0- 2- 0

Source: http://www.cricketlovers.com

Ameer
February 3, 2005, 06:36 PM
Edited on, February 3, 2005, 11:38 PM GMT, by Ameer.

bengali_boy
February 3, 2005, 10:56 PM
Bangladesh seems to have given the UAE a smack in the face. The Tigers had played awesome overall. Sharif's awesome 6 wickets and 3.00 economy rate assured Bangladesh of a victory. Thanks coach and babubangla for the match updates. Keep going, Tigers! :fanflag:

fwullah
February 3, 2005, 11:46 PM
international test nation standard is 75-85.

Actually, International standard strike rate in ODIs is 60%, not 70/80.