PDA

View Full Version : ENG-SA 2nd One Day

Fazal
February 2, 2005, 03:33 PM
What a game!!! What a game.

In the last 5 balls SA lost 3 wickets and scored 2 runs. They should have won the game. What a missed opportunity.

reverse_swing
February 2, 2005, 03:39 PM
Agreed but Kabir Ali's last over was also very impressive as he conceded five off the first ball but took two vital wickets.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 8:42 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

mahbubH
February 2, 2005, 03:57 PM
Luck was not with SA as usual!

Beamer
February 2, 2005, 04:02 PM
Luck has nothing to do with it. This is utter incompetence from the SA side. With that many wkts left how do you not get these runs? They are on a downward spiral in terms of ability of their players ( minus kallis and few others off course ) and mentally as well. I have no doubt Bangladesh would have won from this situation..

cisco-guy
February 2, 2005, 04:33 PM
This is just unbelievable. Outstanding performance by newcomer Kabir Ali:
"He's bowled like a camel and fielded like a drain," snorted Bob Willis, as Kabir Ali was called into the attack to bowl the crucial final over of an extraordinary tussle at Bloemfontein. South Africa needed eight runs for victory with wickets in hand, and with Michael Vaughan off the field with a stomach bug, Marcus Trescothick called a meeting of minds. The upshot was that Ali was handed the responsibility of securing a result for England, possibly on the assumption that his day could hardly get any worse." - CI

Recent Overs: 1 W 2 . 4 1 | 1 2 4 . 1 2 | 1 . 4 1 . 1 | N4 W . 1 .W 1 W |

A thrilling tie at 270 runs for each Team:
270 for 8 (Kallis 63, Gibbs 78) tied with England 270 for 5 (Pietersen 108*, Vaughan 42, Collingwood 40)

Ameer
February 2, 2005, 04:46 PM
I feel sorry for South Africa, luck it seems is never with them. They have failed miserably in this series. England has replaced them to be the number two team by far now. South Africa has slipped to like six in my rankings.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 9:48 PM GMT, by Ameer.

Ameer
February 2, 2005, 05:06 PM
What a performance from Kabir Ali after bowling that no ball four. Just two runs off his next six balls. Very good bowling from and you could just imagine the pressure that was on him after that crap first ball. Glad to see an Asian (Pakistani?) do well in England team.

Edited on, February 2, 2005, 10:11 PM GMT, by Ameer.

Sham
February 2, 2005, 05:46 PM
Outstanding performance by Kabir Ali?? Why is he even in the team? He is pathetic! Even in the last over, his first two balls were full toss and he is just lucky that he got a wicket with the second one. I'll admit, he ended the over well, and given the pressure and all that, it was a good job. But not nearly enough to redeem his performace earlier in the match. He bowled and field pathetically. Bob Willis is right! Why is he in the team when they can have Harmison or Anderson? Makes absolutely no sense. I sometimes think the English selectors are drunk on bitter ale when they select these ODI sides!

Zephaniah
February 2, 2005, 05:58 PM
Well, Kabir can bat a bit, actually he has been quite decent bat in county circuit in recent years. I agree, in bigger perspective, he's mediocre at his best. But inclusion of the likes to Kabir in absense of Flintoff shows how important Flintoff is for England team to strike right balance in team composition.

Harmision needs to go back home as soon as he can to get his act together before ashes tour. I exactly don't know what went wrong for Anderson after impressive debut year. But surely only the ability to swing the ball would not cut it in Blomfontain pitch.

bourny3
February 2, 2005, 07:33 PM
Well done to England for pulling of this amazing tie.

Ameer
February 2, 2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Outstanding performance by Kabir Ali?? Why is he even in the team? He is pathetic! Even in the last over, his first two balls were full toss and he is just lucky that he got a wicket with the second one. I'll admit, he ended the over well, and given the pressure and all that, it was a good job. But not nearly enough to redeem his performace earlier in the match. He bowled and field pathetically. Bob Willis is right! Why is he in the team when they can have Harmison or Anderson? Makes absolutely no sense. I sometimes think the English selectors are drunk on bitter ale when they select these ODI sides!

From what I've seen of him, he ain't bad. And I was only referring to the final over, full tosses or not, he saved England from a certain loss.

cricketfan
February 3, 2005, 02:39 AM
South Africa needed 4 runs from 6 balls(after Kabir Ali's no ball which was hit for four),still SA somehow contrived to allow England to a tie. SA choked the same way they had choked against Australia in the 1999 world cup .

Edited on, February 3, 2005, 7:41 AM GMT, by cricketfan.

bdmoderator
February 3, 2005, 11:23 AM
Great game.

Fazal
February 4, 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Outstanding performance by Kabir Ali?? Why is he even in the team?

Kabir Ali... pa[][][] tali,
Tinta wicket kemne pailee?:-/

al
February 4, 2005, 01:28 PM
:up: