PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the ESPN streaming link

savyasachi
February 4, 2005, 01:37 AM
I was quite surprised to read about it, and tried it. It didnt work at first. I had to perform some tests to figure out what was going on. Here are my findings.

Firstly, for some strange reason the site streams UDP only. This essentially means that if you are behind a firewall, as most people are at work, you will not be able to view the feed. The only option for such people is to request their network administrators to open port 1755 incoming for UDP.

So note that. No HTTP or TCP feed, only UDP. NAT will not work without tweaking.

The best way to force your WMP to do UDP is to type the URL as mmsu://... instead of mms://.... This will also override any networking preferences built into your player.
But it will not get you the UDP packets if you are behind a firewall.

People who have the Windows XP personal firewall activated will also face the same problem. Either you disable the firewall or open port 1755.

Secondly, there is an enormous amount of packet loss in this stream. This is probably due to UDP routing, and it looks like the packets have been re-ordered rather than lost. If you view the statistics on this stream, you will see a lot of recovered packets. WMP does not really distinguish between the two, as it has no way to know. If this was really a loss rather than a re-order scenario, you would require a low RTT connection to have a good viewing experience. If you dont ( and the best way to find out is by checking the RTT on pings to the server ), I suggest you increase the default buffering time. This can be done from Tools -> Options -> Performance.

For those who are getting a lower bandwidth stream, this is due to bandwidth switching. You will probably notice packet loss in your statistics. Packet loss beyond a certain point causes WMP to select a lower bitrate stream or if none is available in the content, to display I-frames only.

Happy viewing, while it lasts!

chinaman
February 4, 2005, 12:10 PM
Very nice explanation. A lot of our members including myself will be benifited from your suggestions. Thank you very much, savyasachi.

cracky
February 4, 2005, 12:14 PM
yep. nice work there. thanks

Ishtylish cricketer
February 4, 2005, 12:56 PM
I can't see anything. For me everything works except that i don't see anything and no audio. However the elapsed time does show.
Ps. I am using WMP

savyasachi
February 4, 2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by chinaman
Very nice explanation. A lot of our members including myself will be benifited from your suggestions. Thank you very much, savyasachi.

You are most welcome.

brikonwall
February 4, 2005, 02:25 PM
savyasachi ...I believe you work in networking line....just a prediction, but very hard to be wrong...

Rubayed
February 4, 2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Ishtylish cricketer
I can't see anything. For me everything works except that i don't see anything and no audio. However the elapsed time does show.
Ps. I am using WMP

I could watch it fine yesterday but now i m having the same problem as yours through WMP.

Canada_R
February 4, 2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by savyasachi

......The best way to force your WMP to do UDP is to type the URL as mmsu://... instead of mms://.... This will also override any networking preferences built into your player.
But it will not get you the UDP packets if you are behind a firewall.

....Secondly, there is an enormous amount of packet loss in this stream. This is probably due to UDP routing, and it looks like the packets have been re-ordered rather than lost. If you view the statistics on this stream, you will see a lot of recovered packets. WMP does not really distinguish between the two, as it has no way to know. If this was really a loss rather than a re-order scenario, you would require a low RTT connection to have a good viewing experience. If you dont ( and the best way to find out is by checking the RTT on pings to the server ), I suggest you increase the default buffering time. This can be done from Tools -> Options -> Performance......

Happy viewing, while it lasts!

Ok this is my dilemma! Last night the WMP worked fine and I was able to watch ESPN. Today for some reason itís not working. I am behind MacAfee firewall (at home) and I changed the port and allowed both ways(incoming + outgoing) UDP/IP. And I also changed the buffer time. I even tried to get the stream by closing down my firewalls (Norton + McAfee). But nothing is working now whereas last night it worked fine even with my firewalls running. Only thing I could think of is my ISP Rogers. They are very notorious in these scenarios. They often shut it down when extra amount of bandwidth is used. If you call them they will simply deny these charges. They would tell you running web servers are not allowed and thatís the only time they interfere. This is not a web server case, but it is possible by them to turn off the option for you. For example, try to run an ASP.net page (using IIS server) from your computer when you are connected to the internet through Rogers. You may be able to do it one or two times. But then it wonít work any more in most cases. If you disconnect your internet service it works fine. One word, ROGERS!!!

I can see that "Rubayet" is having the same problem. Anyone who has Rogers as their ISP would face this problem sooner or later. Good luck!

:flag:

Edited on, February 4, 2005, 9:06 PM GMT, by Canada_R.

Faisal
February 4, 2005, 04:53 PM
Guys, doesnt matter if u r behind firewall or router.. it will work properly..
but unfortunatly.. the server is on but they not broadcasting anymore.. i dont know why... hope it will be ok soon.. nyways..

Edited on, February 4, 2005, 9:53 PM GMT, by Faisal.

Canada_R
February 4, 2005, 04:59 PM
Faisal, jottoshab :lol:

:flag:

Ishtylish cricketer
February 4, 2005, 05:37 PM
Kalke boyisha basketball dekhte chilam ar bhavte chilam je ekhon theke shob khela deckha jaibo... shalar ESPN tor gushti kilai.

Faisal
February 4, 2005, 06:03 PM
lol@ishtyliah bhai.. dun worry its not down forever.. it will be up anytime:).. or else i will give another link... nyways i have star sports too but quality not good as ESPN... as soon as quality get better.. i will give u guys the link.. alrite

savyasachi
February 5, 2005, 12:39 AM
A couple of things.

Today the server is sending what we call "dead air". There is nothing being transmitted.

Someone mentioned that it will work correctly even behind a firewall. That is partially true. If you have WMP version 9 or better, and a uPnP-aware gateway, it will work correctly without you having to do any port tweaking. Most SOHO routers are uPnP-aware. WMP9+ will work with these routers by negotiating the NAT traversal automatically.

Also note that if you are using Microsoft's ICS ( Internet Connection Sharing ), which is nothing but a software router, you will face the same problem. On some platforms, ICS has built-in support for uPnP. On others ( Windows 95/ME ), you will have to download the uPnP plugin separately.

Thanks.

mwrkhan
February 5, 2005, 01:06 AM
The link works on my work computer. However, is this not espn China or something like that? Will it be possible to watch cricket on this link?

Faisal
February 5, 2005, 01:28 AM
well.. guys its not like only ESPN will broadcast on this .. they keep chnaging the channel... so soemtimes, ESPN, Korea Tv, China ESPN, Movie channel etc..
those who wanted to watch live football or soccer i give out the link on that topic.. also included star sports.. even though its not indian star ports... but im trying to get indian star sports... nyways have fun.. Enjoy the live football... bye

sunnyctg
February 5, 2005, 06:58 AM
it works for me, but when i tryied it was showing some chinese history channel instead of espn :-/:-/

sunny

Ishtylish cricketer
February 5, 2005, 10:17 AM
I see chinese history stuff as well. Does where you live dictate which ESPN you get?

pinch_hitter
February 5, 2005, 05:41 PM
what is the link for live football? was it published here, cause i sure missed it...

pinch_hitter
February 5, 2005, 05:46 PM
oh, i found it. never mind... :)

faisal, you're the best

bourny3
February 7, 2005, 12:37 AM
what is going to be on espn in the future. Are they showing cricket.