PDA

View Full Version : what will be the strength and weakness of BD team in regard to series in england

Sorry
February 7, 2005, 08:29 AM
please give your opinion about the strength and weakness of BD team. when analysing any player of bd or opposition, keep in mind about english cricket playing condition:
1. type of pitch
2. weather (it will be summer;not much rain though dfficult to predict)
3. any particular bd player's ability/inability to face a particular opposition player's

in my opinion bd batsmen will have problems facing bouncy delivery from macgrath, harmison. they will also struggle with in swinger from hoggard and darren gough and yorker from brett lee and darren gough.

mashree could become a nightmare of any opposition if he could maintain his line and length due to the fact that pitches will be helpfull for bowler who can swing and seam. the surprise could be chacha; his ability to bowl low delivery can make the batsmen surprised in eniglish condition. we should expect most deliveries in this condition with good lenghth. enamul will become murali if he does not need help from pitch to spin the ball naturally.
overall bd will struggle with batting and will impress with bowling.

opu_87
February 7, 2005, 08:35 AM
BD will stragle with batting but they will do well with bowling. rafiq and aftab can play bouncer ball and asraful,

bourny3
February 8, 2005, 12:18 AM
Strength. two or three quality spinners, fielding. Weakness batting to the swinging ball.

Fazal
February 8, 2005, 10:21 AM
Weakness: Batting, Bowling. No comparison with Eng team.

Strength: Their record and reputation.

Expectation is low, record is not so good, so anything positive out of this series will be over magnified and will be tagged as a major success.

Now the real question is if "anything positive" will happen or not!!!

Edited on, February 8, 2005, 4:31 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Reason: Ops. I typed strengths as weakness and viceversa

AsifTheManRahman
February 8, 2005, 11:19 AM
Depends on how you calibrate your scale of positivity. It is very easy to find positives even in a crappy performance. A half century or two in the series will not satisfy me - I will be looking for a good fight from the whole team every day (or most of the days for that matter) - whereas some people will attempt to find comfort in a 70 ball 50 scored by Bashar.

LateCut
February 8, 2005, 01:48 PM
Bangladesh will have difficulties in handling the likes of Harmisson and Hogart. Our top batting order is still very shaky and inconsistent despite the heroics of Saleh and Aftab in recent times. We need to have patience at the top. We don't have it yet perhaps it only comes with maturity. Our top order batsmen are very young with the exception of Basher.

I like what I see in the fielding side of the equation. We will have good success with our spinners. We will need a good RH off spinner to complement our SLAs. I predict that we will be pleasantly surprised by our pacers also. This I base on the moderate successes by the likes of Murtaza on a pace-unfriendly wicket.

I think we hold our own on the fielding department. We have a young and athletic group that will show its mettle especially in the limited over version of the game.

I hope our boys perform up to their potential and this may prompt county official to take notice and consider them among their foreign player options.

Ahmed_B
February 11, 2005, 09:46 AM
Apart from the change of conditions... I think the lack of quality cricket being played by the team members in between the time after ZIM series and before ENG series will be a good factor.

BD team has been in great tempo & team-spirit in the last 3-4 monthes.. which will get bit loosened up during this interval time. I remember our Good series vs. the WI had built high expectations.. but after a good interval, when we restarted playing, the team came out with all sorts of dismal performances.

I assume, BD will take some time to re-adjust their mindset to the highest level when they start playing ENG. Duleep trophy may help them (some players) a bit... but the team as a whole may take some time to come back to full-force on the mental side on that series.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 2:48 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Sorry
February 11, 2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Apart from the change of conditions... I think the lack of quality cricket being played by the team members in between the time after ZIM series and before ENG series will be a good factor.

BD team has been in great tempo & team-spirit in the last 3-4 monthes.. which will get bit loosened up during this interval time. I remember our Good series vs. the WI had built high expectations.. but after a good interval, when we restarted playing, the team came out with all sorts of dismal performances.

I assume, BD will take some time to re-adjust their mindset to the highest level when they start playing ENG. Duleep trophy may help them (some players) a bit... but the team as a whole may take some time to come back to full-force on the mental side on that series.
good point but i am sure bd will play a few warm up matches against county sides before starting of the series which should help them to prepare with the condtions.

Sorry
February 11, 2005, 11:18 AM

good point but i am sure bd will play a few warm up matches against county sides before starting of the series which should help them to prepare with the condtions.

cisco-guy
February 11, 2005, 12:50 PM
Result of Duleep Trophy will tell us how things gonna shape up with England.

I want to see Nafees, Aftab, Rajin, Ashraful, Rana and Nazmul excel and be consistent in this tournament.

Rubayed
February 11, 2005, 03:50 PM
Weakness : The toughest thing for bd team will be to play well in seaming condition where u ought to have good footwork and u would have to know where your offstamp is.
Strenght: Not many but i beleive our bowlers will do well in seaming tracks and the spinners will do well too even its in England.

Huda
February 11, 2005, 04:06 PM
we will get anhilated by the english bowling i predict we will get out in a the 1st innigns under 100 runs, that is not makin over stated comment and we will just porve the ICC how right they are putting us into a 2 tier system.

I wish im wrong though

shovon13
February 12, 2005, 12:38 AM
lol...its funny how we've been using the line "i wish i'm wrong though".

our one definite strength is our fielding. another good thing is that our batsmen have some confidence now. they're scoring. we still may not be as stable as we'd like to be in our batting order, but we're getting there. the younger players that make up the core of our batting actually are the ones with better footwork (i.e. nafis, aftab, rajin, ash). and we've pointed many times how these guys (especially the first 3) were more comfortable playing pace bowling than spin bowling.
masri has to be the man in the bowling department. and tapash has to back him up.

over dependence on rafiq/enamul jr. for wickets might do us in. the pace duo must take charge in bowling, because SLA wont work out for us in england. another weakness is our opening pair in tests. javed's footwork isn't the surest of all, and i'd prefer shahriar nafees over him. number 6 batting is also a concern.

Ahmed_B
February 12, 2005, 03:05 AM
I hav a feeling that BD will have huge number of LBW outs!
Bashar is a prime candidate for LBW in seaming conditions!

Huda
February 12, 2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by shovon13
lol...its funny how we've been using the line "i wish i'm wrong though".

our one definite strength is our fielding. another good thing is that our batsmen have some confidence now. they're scoring. we still may not be as stable as we'd like to be in our batting order, but we're getting there. the younger players that make up the core of our batting actually are the ones with better footwork (i.e. nafis, aftab, rajin, ash). and we've pointed many times how these guys (especially the first 3) were more comfortable playing pace bowling than spin bowling.
masri has to be the man in the bowling department. and tapash has to back him up.

over dependence on rafiq/enamul jr. for wickets might do us in. the pace duo must take charge in bowling, because SLA wont work out for us in england. another weakness is our opening pair in tests. javed's footwork isn't the surest of all, and i'd prefer shahriar nafees over him. number 6 batting is also a concern.

many people speak with their hearts not with their brains. we had to play on top of our game to beat zimabawe, which is a second string team, i have no hope for the england serious, only but to see improvement, espcially in the batting. establish teams stuggle in may to bat in english seam conditions, i wonder how BD will fare?

Ahmed_B
February 12, 2005, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Huda
many people speak with their hearts not with their brains.
Cricket is as much a game of hearts as it is of brains.. it's a big game of beliefs and confidence. BD has lost many won-matches because of lack of belief.

The difference between the currnet BD team and the team 2 years back... is more in the change in their level of confidence, self-belief and determination.. more than the change of quality in players!

I'm absolutely sure it won't happen the way u believe it to be:"we will get anhilated by the english bowling i predict we will get out in a the 1st innigns under 100 runs".

BD will struggle.. specially in the initial innings, to cope with the new conditions. But the good thing is that they have already learnt to rise back after any kind of collaps (I mean in batting).

:flag: Have some faith.

loyalfan
February 12, 2005, 08:09 AM
i belive that bangladesh will give a good fight. They are much more confident now. Its just the batting that needs to be sorted out.
I will be very very happy to see them draw both games or 1 draw and 1 loss on the fifth day. Also they can get 1win in odi's

Huda
February 12, 2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Huda
many people speak with their hearts not with their brains.
Cricket is as much a game of hearts as it is of brains.. it's a big game of beliefs and confidence. BD has lost many won-matches because of lack of belief.

The difference between the currnet BD team and the team 2 years back... is more in the change in their level of confidence, self-belief and determination.. more than the change of quality in players!

I'm absolutely sure it won't happen the way u believe it to be:"we will get anhilated by the english bowling i predict we will get out in a the 1st innigns under 100 runs".

BD will struggle.. specially in the initial innings, to cope with the new conditions. But the good thing is that they have already learnt to rise back after any kind of collaps (I mean in batting).

:flag: Have some faith.

we will get bowlwed out for under a 100 runs, in one innings, that is what i believe, but i also belive that we are improving, in all aspects of our game and we will play england to theri level for a session or two, but we have to learn to play 4 sessiosn dominantly, not just playin compeptively for a session or two.

gobdgo
February 13, 2005, 04:06 AM
in cricket there is some other departments with batting, bowling, fielding...that is confident and temparment. BD suffered a lot at the initial age with those department. With batting and fielding, I think BD improved a lot in those other departments. Though the weather, pitch, opponent in all aspects we are far behind than England but hope they will try to play with their best possible ability. Go BD Go.

Dhakablues
February 13, 2005, 08:59 PM
Weakness: Pace bowling, foot work, english climate ( though it shouldnt be that bad in July) and current english performance

Strength: Recent form of all the batsmen, recent positive attitude in test ( 4th innings batting, 2nd test) and young pace attack by Mashrafee, Talha, Nazmul. Along with that... the experienced trio of Bashar, Rafique, Mashud. Again the player to watch, I hate to say this... Ashraful, Rajin

I am not sure how the team will be selected but given the history BD selectors wont change that much and few quality options maybe left out ( Russel, Raqibul etc.)