PDA

View Full Version : Let us lobby to keep BNS for Cricket

offcutter
February 8, 2005, 09:36 AM
I was thinking we could perhaps collect signatures, sign petitions to keep Bangabandhu National Stadium for Crciket. If we can send thousands of msgs, e-mail and regular mail, then we just might make a difference. For a lot of us BD Cricket and BNS are one and the same. Let try to keep it that way.

Need more ideas as to how we can do this.

Fazal
February 8, 2005, 09:47 AM
If it doesn't work then what?

A hunger strike? Or even calling all night hartal?:-/

offcutter
February 8, 2005, 09:52 AM
Well, we've seen in the past 'powers that be' cave into pressure when it comes to cricket. Bashar wasn't included in the Very first test against india in 2000. All the newspapers startes crying foul and he was put back into the team at the last minute. I was thinking along the same line.

offcutter
February 8, 2005, 09:53 AM
Besides, there's no harm trying.

Fazal
February 8, 2005, 10:06 AM
Then lets lobby to Loby Bhai first.

Pundit
February 8, 2005, 10:24 AM
I think the focus of the lobby should be the NSC and the strongholds of the local football scene.

There is little the BCB can do but comply.

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 11:57 AM
Don't worry folks. Cricket will be back to BNS as soon as AL comes power.

AsifTheManRahman
February 8, 2005, 11:58 AM
the question: will AL come to power? it's gonna be tight...will depend on who's a better chor when it comes to churifying votes.

AsifTheManRahman
February 8, 2005, 12:00 PM
protests may work though

Ibrahim
February 8, 2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Kana-Baba

I will support AL then. However, they (AL) has to make sure that the Care Taker Govt will work in favor of them.

Mahmood
February 8, 2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think the cricket board cares about BNS vs Mirpur. Unlike football, cricket does not depend on the venue. Cricket in Chittagong is even house full, Mirpur sure will be the same. Main money comes from tv, and thats still there. The fans will suffer when they go to Mirpur, but they will still go, BCB knows that.

Edited on, February 8, 2005, 5:37 PM GMT, by Rajputro.

Fazal
February 8, 2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Ibrahim
I will support AL then. However, they (AL) has to make sure that the Care Taker Govt will work in favor of them.

We should bargain with Ershad also. If we promise him a win in next election, he may give both the stadium to BCB.

However don't go to Jamat. They may take both of the Stadium from BCB.

billah
February 8, 2005, 01:54 PM
High time for Bangladesh cricket. Lots of new talents are emerging. Pacer hunt was a success. We just beat Zimbabwe comprehensively. Looking forward to take over the 9th ranking soon. Our senior players are very young yet very talented. Looking forward to the England series.

Now, who has got the time to discuss an idiotic, meaningless, wasteful, useless, worthless, counterproductive subject like this?Who, do you think, will hit the streets with banners, processions on a non-issue like this? There are some that will create a political issue out of anything, actually. These people will manipulate the jobless, idle youth into doing anything.

This is a non-issue.

If you want to lobby, lobby for international standard pitches and facilities, preferably in the new stadium in Mirpur. I have seen the place, it's much bigger for one. Besides, the new venue is designed better even as-is. Australia has given us an aid worth one million dollars for this facility. They have done the planning and designining for free for the project. If you inform yourselves a little, you will know that this new venue is simply the best thing that can happen to our cricket infrastructure. This will be our pride and joy once completed. BNS does not even have the space to contain anything like it, not to mention the capacity which is less than half of the new one.

Get with the times people. Please! If you have so much time in your hands, go collect some aid for the Sunami victims. You will be insulting your own intelect pursuing this one.

Thanks.

Pundit
February 8, 2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks Billah for injecting some sanity here.

Zunaid
February 8, 2005, 02:21 PM

Just so you recall the history. It was during Saber's (AL in power) term that the decision was made to hand over BNS esclusively for football. The current government (BNP in power) is executing on that decision.

The main power brokers here were the BFF and the footballers. Neither AL nor BNP could overcome their demand to have BNS be the sole preserve for football.

Initially Saber had allocated BNS for football and football was assigned to Mirpur. There was strong opposition from BFF and football players to this. Football was brought back to BNS with a 50/50 sharing arrangement. This did not work out too well. The turf battles (pun intended) was immense - and there were conflicting needs for the stadium for various football/cricket related events. In the end, Saber promised to BFF that BNS will be given exclusively to football and to placate BCB, it was decided to make Shere-e-Bangla Stadium at Sylhet to be a state of the art cricket stadium with most modern facilities. The plan was out in place and the plan is currently being executed.

It is not an AL vs BNP issue.

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by billah

If you want to lobby, lobby for international standard pitches and facilities, preferably in the new stadium in Mirpur. I have seen the place, it's much bigger for one. Besides, the new venue is designed better even as-is. Australia has given us an aid worth one million dollars for this facility. They have done the planning and designining for free for the project. If you inform yourselves a little, you will know that this new venue is simply the best thing that can happen to our cricket infrastructure. This will be our pride and joy once completed. BNS does not even have the space to contain anything like it, not to mention the capacity which is less than half of the new one.

Thanks.

Capacity of BNS is 36,000
Capacity of Mirpur is 30,000

source: World Stadium (http://www.worldstadiums.com/asia/countries/bangladesh.shtml)

Pundit
February 8, 2005, 02:44 PM
I really doubt that BNS > Mirpur.

I seem to recall from 16 years back that Mirpur had 10,000 more than the BNS.

Question of the Day : Will my post be deleted ?

Zunaid
February 8, 2005, 02:46 PM
The renovated Sher-e-Bangla stadium is slated to have a capacity of 65,000

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 03:14 PM
If you had the opportunity to watch Lipu's talk show at channel I, you would have known that Lipu raised question about the justification of moving cricket from BNS to Mirpur. According to him Mirpur stadium is not sweetable for cricket and the pitches will not be constucted north-south (or east-west, i forgot axactly what he said) facing due to lack of enough space, which is norm for regular cricket stadium. The face of wicket is important as it is directly related to the wind which is very important in cricket.

billah
February 8, 2005, 03:35 PM
The Mirpur Stadium can be built to hold 85,000, the space is much larger. BNS is already built, as most of us know to the third tier. Presently, Mirpur Stadium is not built anywhere near it's capacity. I've visited it hundreds of times. I've been visiting BNS for a long time also.

BNS holds a special place in all of our hearts. It will never be replaced. It is however, time to move on.

Bat-PadTogether
February 8, 2005, 03:48 PM
That rite!billah! Australian Cricket board will help to built Mirpur Stadium to hold 85000.

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 04:09 PM
The Mirpur Stadium can be built to hold 85,000, the space is much larger. BNS is already built, as most of us know to the third tier. Presently, Mirpur Stadium is not built anywhere near it's capacity. I've visited it hundreds of times. I've been visiting BNS for a long time also.

BNS holds a special place in all of our hearts. It will never be replaced. It is however, time to move on.

current capacity is no where near 85,000. when and how think it will be converted to stadium of 85,000 ? Never heard of it. where did you get that?

Edited on, February 8, 2005, 9:10 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.

Fazal
February 8, 2005, 04:10 PM
BNS holds a special place in all of our hearts. It will never be replaced. <b>It is however, time to move on.</b>

:up:

Lots of sweet memories; but also lots of bitter memories (i.e. tear gas, police-er dhowa, dhil chora-churi, urninating from the top of the stadium in people's head, memory of toilet in the stadium, pocket mar, etc, etc). BNS was always trouble-spot.

Its time to move on!!!

Edited on, February 8, 2005, 9:10 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Bat&PadTogether
That rite!billah! Australian Cricket board will help to built Mirpur Stadium to hold 85000.

oh, yeah !

We always like to think that some foreign expert will solve our problem!

couger
February 8, 2005, 05:09 PM

Now, who has got the time to discuss an idiotic, meaningless, wasteful, useless, worthless, counterproductive subject like this?Who, do you think, will hit the streets with banners, processions on a non-issue like this? There are some that will create a political issue out of anything, actually. These people will manipulate the jobless, idle youth into doing anything.

This is a non-issue.

Easy my friend. Too many NICE adjectives in one sentence. Lets dump Lords now, what do you say? Oh, I forgot that's an English ground, much better than our lowly Bnagladeshi one......right?

Hasib
February 8, 2005, 07:33 PM
BNS is too old. Its time to get our self a world class stadium. We have to keep up with the rest of the world

Kana- Baba... ur saying its no where near 85,000... well its 65,000 now

This has nothing to do with politics. If the BNP didn't like the name of the stadium, they wud have simply changed it... like they did with the Frigate that was Bangabondho (its now Frigate DW2000)

jabbar
February 8, 2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Fazal

A hunger strike? Or even calling all night hartal?:-/

Hartals are the bain of bangaldesh society!! Can you think of any civilised country employing such a backward and silly political stunt like hartals? They slow the country's progress and should not even be mentioned :down::down::down::down:

:fanflag:

Ahmed_B
February 8, 2005, 07:49 PM
oh, yeah !
Kana-Baba: U din't know tht Mirpur stadium is already programmed to be upgraded and elaborated to become an international veune? And yes.. Australlian consultancy has been arranged for it. They can't change the shape/orientation of the stadium.. but sure will increase capacity and also enhance facilites of all sorts..

The whole thing is already far ahead of 'we like to think' as u mentioned... it already has a clear and specific program/upgradation-design.

reverse_swing
February 8, 2005, 09:29 PM

source: World Stadium (http://www.worldstadiums.com/asia/countries/bangladesh.shtml)

Have u ever been to BNS and SMS? Beofre giving wrong info u should atleast visit those stadiums.

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing

Have u ever been to BNS and SMS? Beofre giving wrong info u should atleast visit those stadiums.

yes, i have seen both the stadiums million times. I was born and brought up in dhaka. In my teenage when I used to go to BNS I felt it was very big; but it can hold only 35,000!Had seen MCG or Eden, I would have definately recognize the difference. But it is hard to tell the difference by just looking at BNS and SMS. They are very similar.

I did not give any wrong information. Please click the link and you will see that. The link is given for non-believers.

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 3:29 AM GMT, by Kana-Baba.

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
oh, yeah !
Kana-Baba: U din't know tht Mirpur stadium is already programmed to be upgraded and elaborated to become an international veune? And yes.. Australlian consultancy has been arranged for it. They can't change the shape/orientation of the stadium.. but sure will increase capacity and also enhance facilites of all sorts..

The whole thing is already far ahead of 'we like to think' as u mentioned... it already has a clear and specific program/upgradation-design.

I know that very well. I mocked at typical BD attitude to ask fevaour from freigners to solve a problem that we created out of no where. About 10 years ago, we built Mirpur stadium solely for football. Now we need to convert it to a cricket stadium due to some crazy reason(!) and we are seeking foreign help! How near sighted we are!!!

Fazal
February 8, 2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by jabbar
Originally posted by Fazal

A hunger strike? Or even calling <b>all night hartal</b>?:-/

Hartals are the bain of bangaldesh society!! <b>Can you think of any civilised country employing such a backward and silly political stunt like hartals? </b>They slow the country's progress and should not even be mentioned :down::down::down::down:

:fanflag:

Nope ! Not even in Bangladesh. Because in BD its all day Hartal not all night hartal. Definitely it may slow down the country's progress only if all the wheeling and dealing are done at night time and not done in the working hours.

Relax.... no one is asking to participate in any hartal or hunger strike here, I was just kind of making .... fotget about that no I am dead serious:P

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 4:01 AM GMT, by Fazal.

Mahmood
February 8, 2005, 11:47 PM
The first day of National League, all cricketers wore a black arm band to show their stand against this move. Also, the cricketers association put banners on the gallery.

alias
February 8, 2005, 11:52 PM
those who are asking to ban Hartals are forgetting that it is the ONLY tool remaining for the opposition protests. Though it is not a favoured method of protest - it is the only effective one against tyrant govt who seems to be in a mission to finish the opposition leadership one by one.

cricket_pagla-1
February 9, 2005, 03:07 AM
If it does n't work than what?

offcutter
February 9, 2005, 09:32 AM

This is a non-issue.

Get with the times people. Please! If you have so much time in your hands, go collect some aid for the Sunami victims. You will be insulting your own intelect pursuing this one.

Thanks.

Yo professor, ease up on the lecturing.

You have every right to express your opinion and for that I will never call it ‘meaningless, idiotic, worthless’ and other nice things you said, even if I disagreed with you.

A no-issue you say? How do you figure that? Better pitch, better playing condition are fine and dandy but we’re not talking about that here. We are essentially talking about nostalgia and that has its own value. The same quality can be applied to venues all over the world and not just for cricket. For those of us who stood knee deep in mud and crud to get into BNS have special memories and would like to hang onto it. This is not a move against ‘progress’. And how do you figure Mirpur will automatically give us better pitch and what is so bad about the BNS turf? Those who advocate politicizing this are wrong but they too do it out of a need to hang onto their memories. It’s the same feeling you might get when you see the house that you grew up in being demolished to build a high-rise apartment building. This is NOT a political issue. And no one’s asking you to join in if you don’t feel passionate about this. What is a no issue to you may not be to others.

As far informing ourselves, you’d be better served if you did some of it yourself. How many stadiums in the world do you think are bigger or have more facilities that BNS? I’ve seen cricket venues in four test playing nations that pale in comparison with BNS. In size alone they don’t come close to BNS forget the atmosphere. And how do figure that a ‘bigger’ stadium is better? BNS is geographically in the heart of Dhaka City and that is a great thing, not many places can claim that. Mirpur is in the north-west corner of Dhaka.‘BNS is not even half the size of Mirpur’ you said. Please master your 2nd grade math skills before you make a comment like this. I too have seen the new place.

What does aiding Tsunami (not Sunami) victims have to do with having this discussion? We can find time to do both. Before lecturing people not to insult their intellect you should show some respect to your own.

Under you nic it says ‘BanglaCricket Sponsor’ and ‘Banglacricket Staff’. Please act like it or some of your adjective can easily be applied to you.

couger
February 9, 2005, 10:41 AM
Right on offcutter.

Carte Blanche
February 9, 2005, 11:37 AM
Very well said offcutter :)

Ibrahim
February 9, 2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by couger
Right on offcutter.

Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Very well said offcutter :)

Agreed with all of you guys.

howzatt!
February 9, 2005, 12:45 PM
offcutter for president

couger
February 10, 2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by howzatt!
offcutter for president

president of what?..... BCB?

rafiq
February 10, 2005, 12:55 AM
As the board grows, so to does the amount of derisive language on it. Why do people feel like they have to cut down others to prove they know more about something? This is starting to become a bit of a trend on BC. It's one thing to state an opinion but lately the experts on the board are out in full force - and the only way to demonstrate expertise seems to be to ridicule everyone else.

I am sure if you spend enough money Mirpur stadium will be first class. Why should we doubt that? But people aren't robots - those people whose picture is on the front page of this site - are they demonstrating for real or did they get TK 40 to show up and protest the transfer of cricket from the BNS? As many things as Mirpur stadium has in its favor, and they all have been outlined in this thread, there are just as many good reasons to play cricket at the BNS, most importantly tradition. This football vs cricket thing at the BNS was a really ugly reason for this change.

I am sure people will "move on" from the BNS and eventually grow to love Mirpur stadium as well, but those in favor of that move really don't need to be so condascending. You aren't really making much of a point despite the all the yelling.

howzatt!
February 10, 2005, 01:00 AM
Stole my words bro. its like before you post something, you have to think for an hour. u write a simple joke somewhere, ppl make a big fuss out of it. you write something about a player, some ppl who think they know everything about cricket because they played for some club 10 years ago would jump on you trying to prove you wrong!!

Originally posted by rafiq
As the board grows, so to does the amount of derisive language on it.<font color = red size = 3> <B><I><U>Why do people feel like they have to cut down others to prove they know more about something?</U> This is starting to become a bit of a trend on BC. It's one thing to state an opinion but lately the experts on the board are out in full force - <u>and the only way to demonstrate expertise seems to be to ridicule everyone else. </b></i></u></font>

I am sure if you spend enough money Mirpur stadium will be first class. Why should we doubt that? But people aren't robots - those people whose picture is on the front page of this site - are they demonstrating for real or did they get TK 40 to show up and protest the transfer of cricket from the BNS? As many things as Mirpur stadium has in its favor, and they all have been outlined in this thread, there are just as many good reasons to play cricket at the BNS, most importantly tradition. This football vs cricket thing at the BNS was a really ugly reason for this change.

I am sure people will "move on" from the BNS and eventually grow to love Mirpur stadium as well, but those in favor of that move really don't need to be so condascending. You aren't really making much of a point despite the all the yelling.

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 6:03 AM GMT, by howzatt!.

abu_akif
February 10, 2005, 03:36 AM
This nonsense should stop... I am tired of this fighting between BNS and Mirpur stadium. Once and for all, if cricket moves to Mirpur and this eternal problem is solved, then we can go forward and not get into same debate with the BFF..

But anyway, I will miss BNS..

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon

I know that very well. I mocked at typical BD attitude to ask fevaour from freigners to solve a problem that we created out of no where. About 10 years ago, we built Mirpur stadium solely for football. Now we need to convert it to a cricket stadium due to some crazy reason(!) and we are seeking foreign help! How near sighted we are!!!
One of the 'Crazy'(!) reasons is somewhat like this-
"BNS is already an old stadium(60 Yrs.) and it's Physical structure is weakend and already has had warnings by experts.. so that appropriate replacement should be found before it runs out of use: and that will be valid for Football matches as well!"

And by the way Mirpur stadium is built as 'Multi-Purpose' and not as 'Football-Ground'.. See the Designation of the stadium here. (http://www.worldstadiums.com/asia/countries/bangladesh.shtml)

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 9:14 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

rafiq
February 10, 2005, 11:13 AM
Actually if BNS is structurally unsound and it doesn't make economic sense to fix it, they should tear it down and build a modern stadium in it's place. That's inevitable. The new stadium will be a shock to the system, but eventually people will get over it.

Problem is, we may have to sell the BNS DW2000 (Hasib, are you serious that was once called the BNS Bangabandhu and what the heck kind of name is DW2000?) to help pay for it. Any buyers out there?

Ibrahim
February 10, 2005, 11:48 AM
This nonsense should stop... ..

"nonsense" is not a right word to mean people's opinion.

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 4:49 PM GMT, by Ibrahim.

Orpheus
February 10, 2005, 07:20 PM
Any buyers out there?

I wouldn't answer that.. LOL

akbar1
February 10, 2005, 08:00 PM
Come on everyone chill out. Personally I was upset when the news was reveald that cricket was being moved from BNS to Mirpur.
But you have to move with the time, however only if they build the mirpur stadium into what they are saying they are going to do.
I think, BCB should justify this by having a proper presentation made available to the public. They need to snow us exactly what they are going to do to make mirpur world class. We as the fan need to know how it will become 85000 capacity. Show us the plan, make it available outside BNS so people can see it. Only than we can hold them to their words, may it be BCB, BNP or Australian desigenrs!
But if they do what they say, I am for it. Dhaka as a city needs to expand, it is currently too crowded and when we have a internation match it gets even worse. so mirpur could be a good move, econamicly as well.