PDA

View Full Version : Tendulkar may play against Bd in Duleep Trophy

cricman
February 8, 2005, 09:43 PM
all of India's top players are considering playing in the Duleep Trophy this will be a nice test for our young players

Ibrahim
February 8, 2005, 09:59 PM
could pls put the sorce of the news and then we can get more about this series. Thanks

Tintin
February 8, 2005, 10:03 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2005/02/09/stories/2005020907051900.htm

But before that BD and West Zone should both reach the fiinal

couger
February 8, 2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by cricman
all of India's top players are considering playing in the Duleep Trophy this will be a nice test for our young players

You're right. I was thinking this tour probably was a waste but if our boys get a chance to play against the Indian top order, then I'm all for it.

cricman
February 8, 2005, 10:07 PM
its on cricbuzz as well

cricman
February 8, 2005, 10:10 PM
The Duleep Trophy tournament will be held between February 15 and March 12. As the first two rounds of the inter-zonal tournament are scheduled before the Test series against Pakistan, all the top players are likely to make an appearance to prove themselves to the selectors.

"I spoke to him yesterday [Monday]; he sounded good. Sachin has been doing exercises since yesterday. [New physio] John Gloster will assess him; he is targetting the West Zone vs South Zone match (Feb 22 to 25)," said Wright.

"He [Tendulkar] had some problems in Bangladesh too but batted well. Come early March and, hopefully, he could be fully fit to play against Pakistan," he added.

cricketfan
February 9, 2005, 12:35 AM
Even without Tendulkar, all other top Indian players are competing in this year's Duleep trophy and the ongoing Challengers Trophy(7 to 10 February at Mumbai).

Bangladesh will need to beat East Zone and Central Zone before reaching the final. Tendulkar's West Zone will have to beat North and South Zones to reach the final.

Ibrahim
February 9, 2005, 08:47 AM
The tennis elbow saga

Tendulkar targets Duleep Trophy comeback

Cricinfo staff, February 9, 2005

John Wright, who coached India to their historic series victory in Pakistan last year, believes that Sachin Tendulkar will be fit to take on Inzamam-ul-Haq's side when they arrive in India later this month. Tendulkar has struggled on and off with tennis elbow since August last year, and has played no part in the domestic season after returning home from the tour of Bangladesh in December.

Wright said that Tendulkar was targetting a Duleep Trophy game which starts on February 22 to make his long-awaited comeback, with the first Test against Pakistan starting on March 4. A Reuters report quoted Wright as saying: "I spoke to Sachin yesterday. He has started doing exercises and we are hoping he will get better quickly. We're very keen to have him."

Some reports last month had suggested that Tendulkar's participation in the marquee match-up was in doubt, but Wright suggested that the situation had improved considerably since.

Tendulkar said last month that he was unsure whether he would be ready for Pakistan but Wright said he was optimistic. The other injury cloud for the Indians has been the withdrawal of Irfan Pathan from the Challenger Trophy, but according to Wright, the decision not to play him and rest the side strain was a precautionary one.

Tendulkar's progress is being eagerly monitored across the border. New agencies quoted Saeed Anwar, one of the stalwarts of Pakistan's last tour to India in 1999, as saying: "I know every Pakistan supporter will be hoping that Sachin doesn't play while the Indians must be praying for his speedy recovery.

"I mean that's natural. A half-fit Sachin is also a threat to the opponents. He is such a big influence that his presence in the dressing room motivates his team and keeps the opponents under pressure."

Cricinfo

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 1:49 PM GMT, by Ibrahim.

BangladeshFan
February 9, 2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by cricketfan
Even without Tendulkar, all other top Indian players are competing in this year's Duleep trophy and the ongoing Challengers Trophy(7 to 10 February at Mumbai).

Bangladesh will need to beat East Zone and Central Zone before reaching the final. Tendulkar's West Zone will have to beat North and South Zones to reach the final.

i dont think bd have much of a chance in duleep trophy, neither our batsmen are good against spinners, nor the top bd spinners are in the team(rafiq, enamul, rajjak). In all likelihood bd will loss all matches, may draw one.

cricket_pagla
February 10, 2005, 04:49 AM
who cares about dulep trophy?

cricketfan
February 10, 2005, 06:03 AM
Originally quoted by cricket_pagla

Those who want BD cricket team to become competitive against the stronger teams of the world.

Hasib
February 10, 2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by couger
I was thinking this tour probably was a waste but if our boys get a chance to play against the Indian top order, then I'm all for it.

Even if the top order wasn't there it wud not have been a waste as they r not sending the national squad but a BCB XI.

IanW
February 11, 2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by cricket_pagla

I care, because Bangladesh's cricketers are getting to play more first-class matches.

Bangladesh does not have a viable first-class structure at the moment, so the side needs to take what games it can get.

Look at the number of first class games a player like Shane Watson has played - and he got fast-tracked !

First class matches are where you learn to play, and learn to win.

Finally, when Bangladesh tour India, a number of Bangladesh players will be able to go 'Yeah, we'vew played most of these blokes over here, and we beat them. They arent that special'.

Ian Whitchurch

Huda
February 12, 2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by IanW
Originally posted by cricket_pagla

I care, because Bangladesh's cricketers are getting to play more first-class matches.

Bangladesh does not have a viable first-class structure at the moment, so the side needs to take what games it can get.

Look at the number of first class games a player like Shane Watson has played - and he got fast-tracked !

First class matches are where you learn to play, and learn to win.

Finally, when Bangladesh tour India, a number of Bangladesh players will be able to go 'Yeah, we'vew played most of these blokes over here, and we beat them. They arent that special'.

Ian Whitchurch

completely in agreement ian. first class maths are when cricketeres leanr to develop their skills in cricket, all great cricketers start from first class crikcet then go to test, not the other way round. im sure if even sachin played test cricket before first class tournaments he would even struggle, and alike said for bowlers. murali or warne didnt learn to dooosrsa, flipper or googli in test cirkcet, mroe like developing and testin them out early in their careers against some club sides.