PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh does not exist according to Rediff rankings

Arnab
February 8, 2005, 10:44 PM
After BD has secured their first TEST and ODI series victory, one would think that Rediff's ranking would include Bangldesh.

But no. Zimbabwe is there. But not the team that beat them.

Let's recount my encounter with them in December 2003.

> What is your justification of totally blacking out
> Bangladesh from the rankings? You did count the wins
> against BD, didn't you?
>
> There's not even one mention of BD in the whole
> section. Any logical person will conceive this as a
> deliberate omission. Suffice it to say that it is
> absolutely tasteless on your part.

Dear Arnab,

We do not count wins against Bangladesh in the Rediff test ratings.

In fact, in our calculations we completely ignore Bangladesh. So, in
some ways, it is indeed a "deliberate omission".

Having said that, we must mention that Bangladesh would've had a rating
very close to 0 even if we had included them.

If you look at the way the ICC ratings are devised, they too indirectly
ignore Bangladesh. If the original ICC formula were applied to
Bangladesh (or Kenya), the winning team would actually lose points even when he
defeat Bangladesh. So ICC comes up with a different formula so that
teams at least do not lose points if they defeat very weak sides.

We are personally very keen that Bangladesh should do well -- how great
it would have been if they had beaten Pakistan!

For now, the choice is either to include Bangladesh and show a zero
rating, or simply omit Bangladesh from the list till their performance
improves. We have chosen the second option.

Srinivas Bhogle

cricman
February 8, 2005, 10:46 PM
when wE beat england and win one vs austalia that will shut them up.

Arnab
February 8, 2005, 10:46 PM
That's not the point.

cricman
February 8, 2005, 10:55 PM
THERE just bias they cant ignore us forever

AGC
February 8, 2005, 10:59 PM
Unbelievable...

Fazal
February 8, 2005, 11:13 PM
<b>Bangladesh does not exist according to Rediff rankings</b>

And Rediff rankings does not exist according to Bangladeshi people.

Kana-Baba
February 8, 2005, 11:18 PM
what is radiff rating? how qualified are these people to rate cricket teams? who would rate their capability?

cisco-guy
February 8, 2005, 11:22 PM
Why bother about Rediff ranking?
And who is this guy "Srinivas Bhogle"?:drool:

Arnab
February 8, 2005, 11:35 PM
Hmm...it's a pet-peeve of mine.

As for the other question, I found this on the net:

Dr Srinivas Bhogle, 45, is currently Head, Information Management Division at National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), Bangalore.

Ehsan
February 8, 2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Fazal

Good one! :)

cricketfan
February 9, 2005, 12:23 AM
Originally quoted by Fazal
Bangladesh does not exist according to Rediff rankings

But rediff rankings matters a lot to Arnab

shujan
February 9, 2005, 12:52 AM
What is this redeff stupid rating ? Arnab you are making a worthless site important. There are so many racist people in this world. If they come up with a website that doesn't make them legit in any way. Arnab you need to do yourself a favor and forget this worthless subject .rebiff or whatever it is doesn't matter.

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 6:10 AM GMT, by shujan.

jabbar
February 9, 2005, 01:08 AM

good call!! :D

I never heard of the rediff rating until now...

Conclusion: Who cares. Let's concentrate on doing well in the next series instead of wasting time with insignificant ratings/articles/etc.
:fanflag:

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 6:09 AM GMT, by jabbar.
Reason: typo

Hasib
February 9, 2005, 01:29 AM
Arnab... have u sent them another email asking for an explanation now... since we have won a test... we can't possibaly be zero.

Zephaniah
February 9, 2005, 04:05 AM
Why bother?

Ahmed_B
February 9, 2005, 04:20 AM
So there is a self-declared-ranking called Rediff or something ?!
who cares?!

Do u Arnab? I wonder why!

ZaKi
February 9, 2005, 06:07 AM

:great: Er por r boler kisu thake nah.... :clap:

:D:D

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 11:09 AM GMT, by ZaKi.

bourny3
February 9, 2005, 07:02 AM
Rediff rankings is nothing the only rankings worth looking at are the ICC rankings.

Hasib
February 9, 2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Zephaniah
Why bother?

shud we let them get away with a great wrong?

bdmoderator
February 9, 2005, 08:21 AM

:up::up:

brikonwall
February 9, 2005, 08:40 AM

Well said...

:bravo::bravo::bravo:

Ahmed_B
February 9, 2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Hasib
shud we let them get away with a great wrong?
Yes.. coz your/our energy+time is really too valuable to be wasted on useless things.

thecoolestleo
February 9, 2005, 09:31 AM
I would suggest , we should close this thread ...who care about radiff or whatever indian ..... rating ..its all BS

Carte Blanche
February 9, 2005, 10:46 AM
Why is everyone bashing the topic? Rediff is one of the most reputated Indian websites with millions of visitors. We certainly don't care what they think of us as they are entitled to their opinions (however stupid that might be). But rankings are a reflection of performance on the field where opinions mean nothing. Excluding a test nation from the rankings is an absolute insult. He has every reason to be mad.

DJ Sahastra
February 9, 2005, 11:08 AM
I totally support the fact that BD should feature in the ranking, doesn't matter at what place.

However, i wish to clarify a few things:

1. The email exchange that Arnab posted is from December 2003. At that BD had no test wins and the sole ODI win against a test-playing team was their famous world cup win agaisnt pakistan.

I am sure many of you might have noticed that. To many who just had a passing glance at the opening post before getting angry and upset, it would've appeared as if it is a recent mail exchange where rediff guys have chosen to exclude Bangladesh for their malicious reasons.

2. It would've taken about the same time for Arnab to notify it to the rediff of their glaring omission as it has taken him to post this thread. We would've known better. Maybe they haven't updated their ranking or ranking tool in a while. Maybe there is some work involved in modifying the tool to increase one more team. Or maybe they are pure dumb. Either ways, the approach that we follow, of getting confrontational instead of looking for answers, escapes me.

Beamer
February 9, 2005, 03:58 PM
Well, it doesn't surprise me that rediff will omit Bangladesh from their rankings. I wrote to them a few years ago and got a simillar lame response that Arnab recieved from them regarding the matter. Politically that website harbors fundamentalist hindutva ideology and their columns reflect on appeasing and apologizing on behalf of them. They see enemies in every shadow. Congress, Muslims, Chinese..to name a few. Cricket itself is an extension of politics in India. rediff harbors overt nationalistc feelings and that drives them to mock Pakistan ( when they can ) and Bangladesh and over- glorify Indian achievements. Its nothing but a cheap yet calculated campaign on their part to attract their core readers who also share the websites ideas. Sort of like middle Americas love affair with Fox news network. They pander to their audience. This in no way reflects on the majority of Indians. They voted BJP out of power.

al
February 9, 2005, 04:11 PM
It does not surprise me at all!. Rediff was famous for bangladesh bashing in the late 90's. I heard, it is a successful company in India though

Arnab
February 9, 2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
1. It would've taken about the same time for Arnab to notify it to the rediff of their glaring omission as it has taken him to post this thread. We would've known better.

2. Maybe they haven't updated their ranking or ranking tool in a while.

3. Maybe there is some work involved in modifying the tool to increase one more team.

4. Or maybe they are pure dumb.

5. Either ways, the approach that we follow, of getting confrontational instead of looking for answers, escapes me.

1. Your "clarification" is hogwash. It's not MY responsibility to nag rediff to include Bangladesh in their ranking. They have INTENTIONALLY left out Bangladesh. How many more times should one point out the "glaring omission"?

2. Yes, I have given them that chance. That latest ranking was posted this February, after the series. I actually patiently waited until their latest ranking to understand what their motive really is. Look, during this time, even India played BD in tests and ODIs. India even LOST an ODI against BD. You would think these would be reflected in the rating. The point is they have been reminded of their "glaring omission" MONTHS ago. And they have said they would revise this when BD starts performing better (a lame excuse in and of itself). And even after BD has started doing better, they still don't mention a whiff of BD in their website.

So, good attempt at creating a lame excuse on behalf of rediff, but no cigar.

3. Yeah, and you are adorably naive.

4. Riiiiight.

5. I looked for answers, and got them. Action speaks more than words.

Don't try to spin this around.

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 10:59 PM GMT, by Arnab.

Arnab
February 9, 2005, 06:03 PM
BTW, for some other posters, this is about the personnels related to the cricket rankings published by rediff, not India. Rediff people probably don't characteristically represent the Indian mindset as a whole.

But it is very irritating nonetheless. There is no justifiable argument behind their omission of BD from their rankings.

Mahir
February 9, 2005, 06:12 PM
Arnab, this is a issue that's been superbly put into focus by you. You stated your points comprehensively. Great job... but after reading your posts and others', I come to this conclusion, borrowed from BC member Sham, "Never argue with an idiot, he will lower you down to his level, and beat you with experience". Therefore, please disregard the so-called Rediff's Cricket Ranking, and dont go into further conversation with Rediff personnels about this issue.

Shafiul
February 10, 2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Arnab, this is a issue that's been superbly put into focus by you. You stated your points comprehensively. Great job... but after reading your posts and others', I come to this conclusion, borrowed from BC member Sham, "Never argue with an idiot, he will lower you down to his level, and beat you with experience". Therefore, please disregard the so-called Rediff's Cricket Ranking, and dont go into further conversation with Rediff personnels about this issue.

Arnab, I do agree with masterblaster. Whether intentionally Rediff ommitted Bangladesh or otherwise that does not matter at all. Let us disregard them and do well in future. They will be bound to include us in near future.

nasifkhan
February 10, 2005, 10:19 AM
who the hell cares abt rediff..or fediff..or gediff........or diff diff...?
do they know anything abt cricket ?

all indian based rankings are bogus........pls dont bother with this useless ratings....

Arnab
February 10, 2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Shafiul
Arnab, I do agree with masterblaster. Whether intentionally Rediff ommitted Bangladesh or otherwise that does not matter at all. Let us disregard them and do well in future. They will be bound to include us in near future.

It not at the level of "does not matter at all". And it is not at the level "OMG! this is so demeaning, I am going to commit suiucide!" either. It's a mild nuisance.

Disregarding them will not solve anything.

Berating them on this messageboard will not solve the problem either, but I like bashing them for their inteptitude.

Just as they are content in blacking out BD, I am more than content in bashing them and giving them a bad name here. :)

Hasib
February 10, 2005, 07:12 PM
btw what does Rediff mean?

Hasib
February 10, 2005, 07:14 PM
I just noticed... I thought it was just Tset cricket... but they don't give us an ODI rating ether!!!

Tintin
February 10, 2005, 09:03 PM
>> btw what does Rediff mean?

Short for rediffusion. Dictionary.com defines rediffusion as

n : a system for distributing radio or tv programs

Mahir
February 10, 2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Tintin
>> btw what does Rediff mean?

Short for rediffusion. Dictionary.com defines rediffusion as

n : a system for distributing radio or tv programs

Now thats their perfect meaning! :great: :great:

:fanflag:

Dhakablues
February 11, 2005, 01:16 AM
First and foremost,,, Who the heck is Rediff? and why do we care about a private unknown rediculous ranking that is whimpsical and doesnt follow the basic premise of statistics? Excuse me,, but lets not even discuss about a ranking that doesnt even have a ranking itself...

Arnab
February 11, 2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Dhakablues
First and foremost,,, Who the heck is Rediff? and why do we care about a private unknown rediculous ranking that is whimpsical and doesnt follow the basic premise of statistics? Excuse me,, but lets not even discuss about a ranking that doesnt even have a ranking itself...

Rediff is a pretty popular Indian website. It is not "unknown". We sometimes link to their news reports and discuss them here.

The ranking is pretty well grounded on statistics. Apparently it was devised by a couple of Indian scientists. It's just that they didn't deliberately include BD in their ranking system.

"Who cares?" doesn't really add to anything discussed in this thread.

cricketfan
February 11, 2005, 01:48 AM
The ICC official ranking is what matters and the official ranking system is a comprehensive, exhaustive and logical ranking system. When the official ranking system recognises BD, then why should one seek recognition in an unofficial ranking system which lacks the accuracy as well as sanctity of the official ranking.

The matter of rediff not recognising BD cricket team in their ranking is exercising the mind of arnab for quite some time. It is not the first thread that he has opened on this subject. I do not think rediff ranking is that important. I have never heard anyone quoting rediff ranking while discussing cricket.In fact, not many people may be aware that such a ranking even exists.

Arnab is unnecessarily giving publicity to a ranking which is not worth wasting one's time.I know arnab is very persistent in pursuing the causes that he strongly believes in. But I do not thing this 'cause' of rediff ranking is really such a cause.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 7:00 AM GMT, by cricketfan.

Ahmed_B
February 11, 2005, 01:49 AM
Arnab.. u sound like a big Rediff fan.

How do u claim Rediff to be 'Pretty Scientific' when they have declared right on ur face that they dont 'Count' a ICC test playing nation?!:duh:
Are you sure u r thinking straight here??:cool:

Frankly speaking...nobody really bothers about Rediff.. whether u accept it or not!

Arnab
February 11, 2005, 02:01 AM
Wow! You know what, I am now thinking maybe the Rediff guys were right to exclude BD. Wallowing in self-pity, spinelessness, denial of reality, moronic fatalism, nonsequiturs -- all the Bangali traits are on a display in this thread. :)

Arnab
February 11, 2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by cricketfan
Arnab is unnecessarily giving publicity to a ranking which is not worth wasting one's time.I know arnab is very persistent in pursuing the causes that he strongly believes in. But I do not thing this 'cause' of rediff ranking is really such a cause.

Ahem, what "worthy cause" should I devote my mind to? Finding the truth behind tabloid stories about the politics in BD cricket team selection? Sorry. :)

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 7:07 AM GMT, by Arnab.

Ahmed_B
February 11, 2005, 02:07 AM
u still dint answer my question: Why u think Rediff is scientific when they discarded a test playing nation?;)

instead of trying to characterize members of this board.. rather make some sense with what u say! :D

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 7:10 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Arnab
February 11, 2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
u still dint answer my question: Why u think Rediff is scientific when they discarded a test playing nation?;)

instead of trying to characterize members of this board.. rather make some sense with what u say! :D

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 7:10 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Hmm. Perhaps you want to look at their methodology on the website. I don't think the "scientific"-ness of their method dependa on the number of teams counted in their ranking. The method should work with any number of given teams - 2,3,9,10, whatever the number. The statistical methodology is not the question of this thread. What is irritating is that they did not include Bangladesh in their rating. They completely blacked out the matches related to Bangladesh.

It is as if a test team called Bangladesh does not exist!

That doesn't make any sense.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 7:26 AM GMT, by Arnab.

Ahmed_B
February 11, 2005, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Arnab
they did not include Bangladesh in their rating. They completely blacked out the matches related to Bangladesh.

Yep.. prettttyyyy SCIENTIFIC.. no doubt!! ;)
keep it up! :up:

meanwhile... I decline!:cool:

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 8:10 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Dhakablues
February 11, 2005, 03:24 AM
Since when did Indian sites become primary validation of world sports? Spinless bangladeshis as you call us,,, doesnt still instill any logic in your arument of science in ranking. Other than PWC and ICC/LG ranking.. other Indian rankings are as good as ranking their film actors/actresess.

Personally and collectively indeed ( excluding yourself, offcourse), We dont care about Arun Lal/David Hookes/Rediff.com.. we never did and never will. EOD

Hasib
February 11, 2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Originally posted by Arnab
they did not include Bangladesh in their rating. They completely blacked out the matches related to Bangladesh.

Yep.. prettttyyyy SCIENTIFIC.. no doubt!! ;)
keep it up! :up:

meanwhile... I decline!:cool:

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 8:10 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

I think Arnab is annoyed that scientists r being unscientific

cricketfan
February 11, 2005, 05:52 AM
If the idea is to find recognition in an Indian ranking then try amul cricket ranking. It not only mentions BD, it gives BD a higher ranking than even the ICC ranking and places it above Zimbabwe. This is the case in September 2004 when BD was at its lowest ebb even according to BD fans themselves. If the latest matches of BD against Zimbabwe are considered, this ranking will see BD climb even further.Too bad that rankings have not been updated for last four months.Icing on the cake is, India gets a lower ranking in it than the official ICC ranking.

Try bajaj cricket ranking also( which figures in Ten Sports). Here also BD figures above Zimbabwe and India figures way below its ICC ranking. These two rankings seem to be tailormade for BD as these rankings do not differentiate between ODI wins and test wins. win over Hongkong gets the same weightage in these rankings as a win over Australia.These rankings take only the results of the last six months into consideration.These rankings seem to be tailor made for BD.

What more do you need.:D

http://www.cricket.amul.com/teams.html

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 11:02 AM GMT, by cricketfan.

cricketfan
February 11, 2005, 06:08 AM
In addition, the amul site has some nice cartoons at the expense of the Indian cricketers.:cool:

Arnab
February 11, 2005, 06:24 AM
If the idea is to find recognition in an Indian ranking....

That's not the idea. This is not about "getting recognition from India."

tiger_man
February 11, 2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Why is everyone bashing the topic? Rediff is one of the most reputated Indian websites with millions of visitors. We certainly don't care what they think of us as they are entitled to their opinions (however stupid that might be). But rankings are a reflection of performance on the field where opinions mean nothing. Excluding a test nation from the rankings is an absolute insult. He has every reason to be mad.

thats right....many people reading that ranking (should be in their hundreds of thousands) will now say "hey, wait a minute...there is sth missing....its bangladesh!"

maybe the site is stupid, worthless, useless, biased or whatever you call it....but these guys got tons of visitors who thinks otherwise...in other words its a trusted media whose words are taken for granted and expected to contain least amount of bias....

lets face it...we all jump in sometimes to protest any idea or threads, which we dont agree with...so whats wrong with arnab or anyone doing it with other websites?

Arnab
February 11, 2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks tiger_man. I just can't believe that people has to defend why I created this thread, given the topic of the thread. That is just funny. :)

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 11:46 AM GMT, by Arnab.