PDA

View Full Version : The True Archrival of Bangladesh

Mahir
February 9, 2005, 08:17 PM
Who do you think is the true archrival of Bangladesh ? Or is there any ? You may want to justify your selection...

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 1:24 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

cricket_pagla
February 9, 2005, 08:28 PM
:cool:

Mahmood
February 9, 2005, 08:55 PM
When I grew up, our arch rival was always Zimbabwe. I remember hating them for beating us on the ICC Cup and preventing us from WC. We fans, back then, strongly believed Zimbabwe plays West Indies and South African players to win.

However, once they joined the test club, Kenya has been our next arch Rival.

Still now, Kenia remains so.

Ehsan
February 9, 2005, 08:59 PM
At the moment, since we are in the test club and Kenya are not, I believe Zimbabwe is our true archrival.

paco
February 9, 2005, 10:39 PM
This is a difficult one - If you consider the "full strength" sides, I think Bd/Zim/Ken are fairly close right now.

With the decline of Zimbabwe and presumably Kenya, i don't think we have any archrivals right now, because we are definitely better than Zimbabwe AND Kenya (although ICC ratings suggest otherwise).

Although, over the last few years Kenya was our arch rivals - we always knew we had the talent to beat them, but they always managed to come out on top. So, Kenya.

One other thing, to be considered as "arch rivals", two sides need to have a history of competition against each other, and the closest thing we've had of that sort has been with Kenya.

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 3:44 AM GMT, by paco.

cricman
February 9, 2005, 10:47 PM
i chose Pakistan only because we had so many close games that we could of won against them besides world cup 99

Mahir
February 10, 2005, 12:12 AM
i thought pakistan would get more votes!

Anyways... for those who think Kenya is the team, I totally agree... But thinking from the perspective that it should be considered within the arena of Test playing nations only, then Zimbabwe is the obvious choice...although we do have an intense history with Pakistan, politically and geographically, as well as cricket-wise!

Rubayed
February 10, 2005, 12:15 AM
At one point i felt Kenya was the team to beat but now i feel pretty strongly about Zimbabwe being our arch rival. It will be fun when Bd will tour there next.

howzatt!
February 10, 2005, 12:51 AM
:yawn: Where is Australia? ;)

nasifkhan
February 10, 2005, 12:57 AM
Where is India?

Sami
February 10, 2005, 01:24 AM
The term "arch-rival" is open to interpretation. For me Bangladesh's arch-rival has to be Kenya.

The way i see it arch rivalry never changes. India and Pakistan will always be arch rivals irrespective of the fact if India or Pakistan loose all their best players and become taste cubs. So say 50 years from now when Bangladesh regularly wins matches in the top flight I wud still say our arch rivals are Kenya. Cause it is them that we had so much trouble to contend with to get to where we are. Whenever there is a BAN-KEN match there is a tension... a tension that you will rarely find in a BAN-ZIM match or any other match for that matter involving Bangladesh.

bourny3
February 10, 2005, 01:41 AM
India hahahah.:joy:

Kazi Maruf
February 10, 2005, 02:05 AM
I see it is Zimbabwe for Bangladesh like Australia for England and India for Pakistan.

Zimbabwe is the only team in the elites group where Bangladesh can now genuinely expect a win but against others, it is only by chance.

However, I think that Kenya is a better team than any of Bangladesh and current Zimbabwe.

BangladeshFan
February 10, 2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Who do you think is the true archrival of Bangladesh ? Or is there any ? You may want to justify your selection...

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 1:24 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

i think its kenya. kenya have played the closest games with bd. i remember the qualifiers of 96 WC, it was kenya who threw bd out of that competition. in 99 WC , bd took revenge by beating kenya in final even though both competed.

and that final game to me is the best ODI bd has ever played, just because of the context of that game. that match didnt hold any significance as both teams were through. still bd played like hell to win that game against kenya. i remembered jumping up with my radio when pilot hit that 6.

AGC
February 10, 2005, 06:01 PM
Pakistan for obvious reasons.

fab
February 10, 2005, 07:10 PM
The fact that most fans voted for Kenya and Zimbo (I voted for Zimbo) speaks volumes about where we really stand in international cricket.

Mahir
February 10, 2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by fab
The fact that most fans voted for Kenya and Zimbo (I voted for Zimbo) speaks volumes about where we really stand in international cricket.

I am afraid I utterly disagree with you. The fact that Kenya and Zimbabwe are considered our archrivals by many fans, is NOT an indicator of where do Bangladesh stand in world cricket. Two teams are considered archrivals despite their quality or performance... the theory of archrivals strongly consider the history between the countries in terms of games played together, and how competitive the games are... or the hype surrounding their matchup... there are numerous examples of two teams at totally different levels, but still showcase tremendous sporting matches when squaring off against each other....

in that regard, I will always consider Pakistan our True Archrivals... "beating the hell out of" Kenya and Zimbabwe does indeed hold a special perspective as well.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 1:04 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

Shubho
February 10, 2005, 08:09 PM
although kenya and zimbabwe are our archrivals in sporting terms, a win against pakistan will always be deeply gratifying and the sweetest thing since sliced bread for me.

Ibrahim
February 10, 2005, 08:23 PM
I would say Pakis

cisco-guy
February 10, 2005, 09:21 PM
It has to be Pakistan.

fab
February 10, 2005, 09:30 PM
No amount of existing political/racial/religious rivalry and tension will make a sporting team be an 'arch enemy' if the contests are always lopsided and predictable. Arch rivals always need to prove that they are better than the other. It's a two way street. Some may fool themselves into thinking that Pakistan is our cricket arch rival, but the reality remains, when it comes to cricket, they still think we are their 'little brothers'.

So, who is it that we always target to win against? Zimb and Kenya. That is our level.

Zobair
February 10, 2005, 09:34 PM
Zimbabwe will be our main rival for years to come...ability and skill-wise there is not much between us! Zimbabwe will not forget that we got our first test win against them...it will be an exciting series every time we play them.

roaring_tiger
February 11, 2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by cisco-guy
It has to be Pakistan.

ya..it has to be...:bravo::fanflag:

Mon
February 11, 2005, 01:45 AM
It has to be India. Frakkhar protishod nitay hobey.

tutul
February 11, 2005, 03:17 AM
INDIA....i have many indian friends, trust me they are just crazy about cricket, cricket is like their religion, they think themselves are the best team in the world! if we could always play well against them, would be so wonderful. i could talk to the them with my color up. and of course, i would like to see PAKISTAN there as well.

ibnul
February 11, 2005, 05:54 AM
I was there in the Northampton, when we beat Pakistan. I could not tell you the feeling, arch rival or not beating Pakistan is the best, I am waiting when we would regularly beat them and we hold our head high. Zim or Kenya is not the point as it does not raise the passion. Same like NZ or Srilanka they are just other team but when it is Pakistan there is more than cricket, it really hurts me the last Pakistan tour in Bangladesh. Next one to come in Pakistan March 2006 Asia Cup, we would be there to beat them.....:fanflag:

shujan
February 11, 2005, 06:52 AM
Kenya? How many games we played against them? Indian A and Pakistan A beat kenya regularly.:)

offcutter
February 11, 2005, 10:27 AM
Let's raise the bar as high as possible ans say Australia!!!

Just kidding. I don't have a particular team in mind but sure would like to Beat Pakistan and India.

offcutter
February 11, 2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ibnul
I was there in the Northampton, when we beat Pakistan. I could not tell you the feeling, arch rival or not beating Pakistan is the best, I am waiting when we would regularly beat them and we hold our head high. Zim or Kenya is not the point as it does not raise the passion. Same like NZ or Srilanka they are just other team but when it is Pakistan there is more than cricket, it really hurts me the last Pakistan tour in Bangladesh. Next one to come in Pakistan March 2006 Asia Cup, we would be there to beat them.....:fanflag:

Yes I agree 100%. Would like to beat India as well. I'm so tired of all the condescention from my Indian friends/collegues.

Sam
February 11, 2005, 10:57 AM
The arch rivalry changes from time to time and depends on different contexts.
Once upon a time, Zimbabwe was our archrival on the context of ICC Championship and participation in the WC. Later on Kenya replaced Zimbabwe on the same context. UAE was also once our archrival.
But at present Zimbabwe is our archrival, but here the context is different. We have to prove ourselves a better team than Zimbabwe consistently as a step forward for getting upgraded to 1st tier, if it's going to be imposed.

bdmoderator
February 12, 2005, 03:25 AM
Zimbabwe I think.

Ahmed_B
February 12, 2005, 04:44 AM
I dare to say.. Kenya is not more our rival.

Yes they were... but with their current downfall, and BD team's recent reformation over the last 2 years or so.. they will find it tough to compete, no doubt!

You can call two teams as 'Arch-Rivals' when both sides usually tend to win 50%-vs-50% of the matches and the contest is fairly even.

Even the current ZIM team will stumble a bit against us, which already surfaced in the last series. Only when BD committed suicide, the ZIM's could get on top.

BD team's biggest rivalry, at the moment is probably, the ZIM side with the Streak & Co. back in the team. All other sides are either good distance behind BD or far ahead.

Warlock
February 12, 2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Mon
It has to be India. Frakkhar protishod nitay hobey.
Totally agree with you there my man!

fwullah
February 12, 2005, 12:38 PM
Zimbabwe consisting of the following players:

1. Heath Streak
2. Andy Flower
3. Grant Flower
4. Guy Whittall
5. Alistair Campbell
6. Paul Strang
7. Henry Olonga
8. Sean Ervine
9. Stuart Carlisle
10. Eddo Brandes

Because:

It is not necessary that we have to win when we face them. But we have to live upto the expectation standard set by the above Zimbabwean team.

For example:

1. We must draw more test matches by playing full 5 tests
2. We must win a test match away from home
3. We must consistently beat a particular test team of our liking as Zimbabwe have beaten England most of the times whenever the matches were played in England
4. We must beat at least one test opponent in each tournament that we play - again, following Zimbabwe's (above team's) footsteps.

So what does it tell you? Our rivals is the above Zimbabwean team, because whenever we achieve some success, any win against any team, the thing that we have to constantly face is that the Zimbabwe team (consisting of mostly above players) had such & such records, so in order to be truely appreciated, by general cricket fans outside of Bangladesh, we simply have to achieve the standard set by the above former & current Zimbabwean players. There is simply no other way.

ManInBlack
February 12, 2005, 02:27 PM
KENYA

--They rank higher than us in the ODI rankings.
--They have reached the semi finals of world cup and we didnt win a single game in that tournament.
--They dont even play test cricket.

These are the most agonising facts. We have a score to settle against Kenya before anything else.