PDA

View Full Version : Shall BCB think about Shanta for England Tour!!!!!

tarifmahmud
February 9, 2005, 09:54 PM
Its good for Shanta to have a good start in the domestic cricket taking three wickets in the first innings in just 13 overs.

I think he is one of the most experienced baller in bd side. He can hit big hits as well. After his injury he came back in the 3rd ODI with an unprepared mind both mentally and physically as he was called on that morning while he was practicing in OLD DOHS ground. But that didnt work for him, as he didnt want to come back like that.

I think he is still capable of serving BD cricket at least for next 5 years. Just he needs opportunity to play for at least one complete series.

What do you think????????

Pundit
February 9, 2005, 09:58 PM
I think we can put the days of considering players like Shanto in the National team way way behind us.

We just have a new generation of bowlers up and coming, and with the right guidance, they will not be looking back down the road.

sadi
February 9, 2005, 10:01 PM
yeah we just have too many good bowlers coming up...they need exposure and we should try them slowly and carefully.....atleast one should go with masrafi and tapash to the england tour just to gather experience

Sham
February 9, 2005, 10:05 PM
Shanto's days with the national team are over! With players like Talha, Rajib, Shafaq, Rassel in the pipeline, there is no reason to go back to a player who is well past his prime.

fab
February 9, 2005, 10:09 PM
tarifa - are you his cousin?:duh: (can't think of any other reason for such a suggestion)

tarifmahmud
February 9, 2005, 10:11 PM
ok, then why did they call shanta to play the 3rd ODI with India?????? any justification, Talha was there in the team already!!!!! Isnt it?

Sham
February 9, 2005, 10:20 PM
That was the worst decision by our selectors in a while! What possible justification could there be for picking Shanto out of nowhere to play an odi for Bangladesh? The person who made that decision obviously drank too much cheap alcohol the night before after Bangladesh's victory.

say
February 9, 2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by tarifmahmud
ok, then why did they call shanta to play the 3rd ODI with India?????? any justification, Talha was there in the team already!!!!! Isnt it?

good morning! thanks for waking up!!

Ehsan
February 9, 2005, 10:21 PM
Hasibul hossain is a junk now!

paco
February 9, 2005, 10:21 PM
Shall BCB think about Shanta for England Tour!!!!!

Is Shanta Shanto's sister ? Can she bowl ? Shouldn't she be playing for the womens team ?

Should Shanto himself be considered ? No, I don't think so. No room for "Wayward Shanto" - besides being a crappy bowler, he's a [] poor fielder as well.

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 1:35 PM GMT, by chinaman.

tarifmahmud
February 9, 2005, 10:22 PM
Try to argue with a good logic.......huh!

say
February 9, 2005, 10:24 PM
"argue"? I never realized this is a debate :P

say
February 9, 2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by paco

Shall BCB think about Shanta for England Tour!!!!!

Is Shanta Shanto's sister ? Can she bowl ? Shouldn't she be playing for the womens team ?

Should Shanto himself be considered ? No, I don't think so. No room for "Wayward Shanto" - besides being a crappy bowler, he's a [] poor fielder as well.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 1:36 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: quote edit

tarifmahmud
February 9, 2005, 10:26 PM
Mr. Paco
You can give ur opinion but not in this way, wance he was the openning baller of bd team and leading wicket taker as well.
Yes I do agree that we should give new fast flesh to play, but we should not disrespect ppl who were past.

Thanks

paco
February 9, 2005, 10:30 PM
Mr. Paco
You can give ur opinion but not in this way, wance he was the openning baller of bd team and leading wicket taker as well.
Yes I do agree that we should give new fast flesh to play, but we should not disrespect ppl who were past.

Thanks

Dear Mr. Hasan:

No disrespect to you. Yes Shanto was our #1 bowler for a long time, but I feel (and many will agree) that it wasn't because he was that great, but rather he was the best among a group of mediocre ones. We have much better younger bowlers coming up, and there's just no place for Shanto anymore, that is all.

Cheers

tarifmahmud
February 9, 2005, 10:33 PM
I agree............
cheers

cracky
February 9, 2005, 10:36 PM
even Saiful and Dulu still can bowl better than Shanto :D:D:D

Sham
February 9, 2005, 10:37 PM
About the 3rd ODI against India, that was a flawed idea from start to finish. Surely, you can't expect to call up a player at 11 am and ask him to play an internation match in two hours, especially given that he hasn't even been in a Bangladesh squad in ages! So, in Shanto's defence, I don't hold his performance in that match against him. They were asking for too much.

However, that doesn't take away from the fact that Shanto is no longer good enough to be in the national side. Firstly, he isn't at his best. Lets face it, he isn't getting any younger. And secondly, even at his best, he wouldn't get into this side. The bowlers we have now are far better. Shanto as a rule will bowl two leg side half volleys every over. He does it with impressive consistency! How can you consider him in a Bangladesh team which has the sort of bowlers it does now?

tarifmahmud
February 9, 2005, 10:45 PM
Good bye everybody, enjoyed the discussion...But I would like to say to some fans here, they should say bad things to any of the players who were really attached to the team at their best.

Thanks a lot

Faceoff
February 9, 2005, 11:34 PM
Its good for Shanta to have a good start in the domestic cricket taking three wickets in the first innings in just 13 overs.

I think he is one of the most experienced baller in bd side. He can hit big hits as well. After his injury he came back in the 3rd ODI with an unprepared mind both mentally and physically as he was called on that morning while he was practicing in OLD DOHS ground. But that didnt work for him, as he didnt want to come back like that.

I think he is still capable of serving BD cricket at least for next 5 years. Just he needs opportunity to play for at least one complete series.

Hell No

howzatt!
February 10, 2005, 01:25 AM
there was a time when shanto served our team, but his days are over. even if he plays well in domestic league, he shouldn't be selected for national team. there are some players who perform real well in domestic cricket, but suck when they play for national team. bright examples: Tareq Aziz, Faisal Hossain Dickens, Alamgir kabir, Shanto himself. i believe BCB took enough heat for calling shanto in the 3rd ODI against india. i don't think they'll make that mistake again.

bourny3
February 10, 2005, 01:44 AM
NO.

cricket_pagla
February 10, 2005, 04:34 AM
:E
I saw H.H.Shanto playing against NSU (int. pvt. varsity tournament) last year, and he was awful.
:embaressed:

cricketfan
February 10, 2005, 05:22 AM
I do not think one should disparage the past players just because better players have come along. To my mind Habibul Bashar will remain a respectable figure even if he may not find a place in BD team in future as he is replaced by better batsmen in future.

Mr-khan
February 10, 2005, 05:43 AM
What abt GM Nowsed prince!;)

Shish Ahmed
February 10, 2005, 05:51 AM
Shanto has past his prime, but we must respect what he did for us before BD got test status, playing in the ICC Trophy.

With such good bowling prospects in the pipeline such as Shafaq, Rajib, Syed Rassell, Md. Sharif and Talha. The days of Hasibul Hossain getting back in to the national team are numbered i'm afraid to say.

bdboy
February 10, 2005, 07:34 AM
Desh aa ki blower arr okaal porlo naki?? Why should we need to go back to past......... when our bowling dept doing better and better!!

Never mind!!! So many bowling talants on pipeline...

capslock
February 10, 2005, 07:47 AM
Should the BCB think about Shanta Islam for the England Series? Well that's a tough question, while Shanta has been outstanding in the Bangla dramas on TV, her ability as a cricketer is an unknown factor. I guess we can just put her in and find out.

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 12:48 PM GMT, by capslock.

Hasib
February 10, 2005, 08:02 AM
Guy he doesn't mean "Shanto"... he said "Shanta" the Bengali pronouncation of Santa. Ho Ho Ho!!! Only problem is... its not chrismas

;)

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 08:12 AM
name someone better pls!

sham1980
February 10, 2005, 12:42 PM
I think Manjural Islam (LFM) Mohammed Sharif and the youngsters are better prospects than Shanto we thank him for his service but his time is up,

Fazal
February 10, 2005, 02:27 PM
Mr. Paco

Yes I do agree that we should give new fast flesh to play, <b>but we should not disrespect ppl who were past.</b>

Thanks

Totally agree. And the first step shouldn't be to spell his name properly? Like 'Shanto' instead of 'Shanta'?
:clap::clap:

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2005, 02:36 PM
yeah that's like playing with his gender...sheesh...you know how much money he can earn if he sues you? 300 dollars!

:)

Hasib
February 11, 2005, 06:20 AM

Thanks

Let me stress one word here... PAST!!!

arafath79
February 11, 2005, 07:42 AM
No more Shanto please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Api r Shanto ei duita boder haddi!!!:mad:

offcutter
February 11, 2005, 10:09 AM

I think at the moment BD has better options. Both Taposh and Masrafee are bowling better than him and are useful with the bat. Masri can hit and Taposh can paly longer innings. Nazmul and Tarik Aziz would be the next ones to consider. I was impressed with Tarik, the way he gave support to Rafique and then Pitol with the bat while they both scored centuries.

I have special place in my heart for Shanto. We grew up in the same Old DOHS neighborhood. He literally grew up in front of us and we consider him oyr younger brother and the Pride of Old DOHS. But I'm afraid in order for him to be considered now would require far better performance. I most sincerely hope he can make it again.

Frost
February 11, 2005, 11:01 AM
<font size=5>Shanto WAS good. Let's talk about someone else</font>

offcutter
February 11, 2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by capslock
Should the BCB think about Shanta Islam for the England Series? Well that's a tough question, while Shanta has been outstanding in the Bangla dramas on TV, her ability as a cricketer is an unknown factor. I guess we can just put her in and find out.

good one.

Faisal
February 11, 2005, 12:35 PM
you [].. you guys dont know how to respect ppl.... santo is the one who take 1 run and reach bd to world cup.. how can u forget those dats??? he is 34 years old guy... he has no chance to cum back national side.. that damn true.. doesnt mean u guys will talk like that.. some ppl say **** about nannu, some say **** about bulbul.. i wonder & wonder... if they werent in that palce.. then bd cricket wont be here... learn to respect.. u will get it back.. nyways.. thatswhy bangali can never improve of anything.... doesnt matter its football, hockey, or cricket..

Warning: Rule A.5 violation.
-Admin

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 8:42 PM GMT, by nasif.

Fazal
February 11, 2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Faisal
you bangali ppl sux..

Are you Bihari Bhaizan?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>BC Rules Section A.5
<i>"Avoid posting about your personal hatred toward any country, nationality, race or ethnicity."</i></b>

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 6:02 PM GMT, by Fazal.

cricket_pagla
February 11, 2005, 01:05 PM
:-/

may be he's a CANADIAN-BIHARI:umm:

Faisal
February 11, 2005, 01:15 PM
well, im indian... my parents from kolkata.. so. nyways who cares wut im

couger
February 11, 2005, 01:50 PM
Actually Bangldesh had already reached the WC when they beat Scottland in the semifinals. Shanto's run in the last delivery of the Final made BD the ICC champs. And Shanto is 28(yes, that is his real age) not 34.

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 1:44 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: quote removed

couger
February 11, 2005, 01:55 PM
you bangali ppl sux.. you guys dont know how to respect ppl.... santo is the one who take 1 run and reach bd to world cup.. how can u forget those dats??? he is 34 years old guy... he has no chance to cum back national side.. that damn true.. doesnt mean u guys will talk like that.. some ppl say <b>shoot</b> about nannu, some say <b>shoot</b> about bulbul.. i wonder & wonder... if they werent in that palce.. then bd cricket wont be here... learn to respect.. u will get it back.. nyways.. thatswhy bangali can never improve of anything.... doesnt matter its football, hockey, or cricket..

"well, im indian... my parents from kolkata.. so. nyways who cares wut im"

I thaught Indians had a better command of the English language.

Spitfire_x86
February 11, 2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by couger
And Shanto is 28(yes, that is his real age) not 34.
yeah, and Mashrafee is 14 years old.

couger
February 11, 2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Originally posted by couger
And Shanto is 28(yes, that is his real age) not 34.
yeah, and Mashrafee is 14 years old.

Go check your facts. Shanto was born in 1976. His "official" age maybe even less.

brikonwall
February 11, 2005, 03:15 PM
Mr. Paco

Thanks

Should we bring back Atahar Ali then?

babubangla
February 11, 2005, 03:35 PM
well, im indian... my parents from kolkata.. so. nyways who cares wut im

[] !!!!!!!!!!

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 8:43 PM GMT, by nasif.
Reason: No name calling, please.

rafiq
February 11, 2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by capslock

I was fortunate to sit down with Shanta Islam when she was in Chicago last year, and no she didn't mention anything about a BCB call up! But if they were to call her up, I don't think she would send down 2 half volleys on the leg side with the consistency Sham speaks of!

I'd like to know when HH Shanto was the "#1 bowler" in Bangladesh. He may have been the opening bowler, but when was he #1? Saiful, Prince, Moni, Badshah, Dipu Roy (did SHanto play with the last 2 or am I going back too far - surely he isn't 28?) - they were all better bowlers. And for all the hard work these guys, including Shanto, did - the current crop are naturally better. There's no need to disparage the old guys, but fans do them a great deal of disservice by suggesting they should still play now.

Sujon just hit his first class century. Better late than never, but should he get a test recall?

babubangla
February 11, 2005, 04:16 PM
you [].. you guys dont know how to respect ppl.... santo is the one who take 1 run and reach bd to world cup.. how can u forget those dats??? he is 34 years old guy... he has no chance to cum back national side.. that damn true.. doesnt mean u guys will talk like that.. some ppl say <b>shoot</b> about nannu, some say <b>shoot</b> about bulbul.. i wonder & wonder... if they werent in that palce.. then bd cricket wont be here... learn to respect.. u will get it back.. nyways.. thatswhy bangali can never improve of anything.... doesnt matter its football, hockey, or cricket.

JOTTOSOB !!!!!!!!!

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 9:17 PM GMT, by babubangla.

Faisal
February 11, 2005, 08:48 PM
lol.. wut can i say.. ppl think im not bangali.. thatswhy i had to say ya im indian.. caz they pissing me off.. lol nyways chill..

cricman
February 11, 2005, 09:20 PM
enough of this why go old are new players w/ enogh experience will be on of the best teams in the world

tarifmahmud
February 11, 2005, 09:22 PM
:great::joy:

Shehwar
February 12, 2005, 05:29 AM
Well I reckon Shanto still is a very decent bowler....& since I was so much into the 97 ICC Trophy and that era when I saw our team coming through the tough phases...U know...I alwayz have that soft corner for those players who made it happen..Who brought us where we are now...I have seen Shanto bowl quite a few stunning spells...Yes he wasn't that consistent but he was a wicket taker..not someone who'd be looking to restrict runs....And I feel he definitely did not get the the best of opportunity to make his come back...In that 3rd ODI The Indians were all fired up since we had beaten them in the previous match...So every single bowler took a beating....So when rugular bowlers are taking a hiding what can one expect from a bloke who was told just two hours before the match that he was in the playing eleven !!!....U know...Even ur mental frame of mind wasn't properly configured if u know wot i mean.....But newayz..Shanto has started the national league with a bang taking 6 wickets in his first match.....I'll prefer him as a back up in the coming series against England if he stays in the top five of highest wicket takers...

guy_zin
February 12, 2005, 06:25 AM
:great::joy:

TO,
Syed Mahmudul Hasan (Tarif)
MBA
ENGLAND

Sorry..Tarif.. we the non MBA(mostly) fellows of this forum cant taariif ur farsighted comment regarding ur shanta.

u know, it happened once even b4. another MBA ffrom middle of no-where made some brilliant comment..alas...pity on us.. we just laughed him offf calling he is suffering from MBA syndrome...

fwullah
February 12, 2005, 12:54 PM
Well I reckon Shanto still is a very decent bowler....& since I was so much into the 97 ICC Trophy and that era when I saw our team coming through the tough phases...U know...I alwayz have that soft corner for those players who made it happen..Who brought us where we are now...I have seen Shanto bowl quite a few stunning spells...Yes he wasn't that consistent but he was a wicket taker..not someone who'd be looking to restrict runs....And I feel he definitely did not get the the best of opportunity to make his come back...In that 3rd ODI The Indians were all fired up since we had beaten them in the previous match...So every single bowler took a beating....So when rugular bowlers are taking a hiding what can one expect from a bloke who was told just two hours before the match that he was in the playing eleven !!!....U know...Even ur mental frame of mind wasn't properly configured if u know wot i mean.....But newayz..Shanto has started the national league with a bang taking 6 wickets in his first match.....I'll prefer him as a back up in the coming series against England if he stays in the top five of highest wicket takers...

Sehwar, I feel for you.

For a long time, I was also a favorite fan of Mehrab Hossain Opee (a perfect opener), Shahriar Hossain Bidyut(a perfect opening partner to Opee), Saiful Islam Khan (a perfect fast bowling all rounder), Minhazul Abedin Nannu (a perfect all rounder-cum most experienced player), Aminul Islam Bulbul (a perfect test class batsman), Akram Khan (a perfect leader and a match winning batsman), Enamul Haque Moni (a perfect number 7 all rounder) etc.

But in time, some of them have failed, and in time, some of them have done great things after series of failures, but one thing I understood - you cannot hold on to the experienced ones when time is not going their way.

You have to give up some things for greater success and Shanto is one such good example.

You can say that with the end of Shanto episode and start of Shafiuddin Ahmed Babu or Monjurul Islam Monju's episode, with them, in time, I have learnt to watch which balls are good balls or which balls are bad balls. Only by watching our team bowling, you can say that I have learnt to bowl myself, even without going into a cricket field physically. Anyway, if that sounds too insulting, then hear my next paragraph out.

The percentage rate of our current pace bowlers' pitching the right balls in the right places is higher than our older pacers. In the past, our selectors may have chosen fast bowlers on their merit to take wickets, but now our coach and our selectors are gaining experience and they now choose to take accurate bowlers rather than just see their merit.

This is the reason why players like Talha Jubair don't get into the side much and for the exactly same reason, why Nazmul Hossain gets to play ahead of a much more experienced and senior bowler Tapash Baisya.

Come to think of it, Rajjak Raj, the left arm spinner was chosen ahead of Enamul Junior because of their accuracy (and inaccuracy) and was eventually dropped or included because of their accuracy.

Ahmed_B
February 12, 2005, 01:46 PM
nice comments fwullah..

I think another vital factor to compare the level between our last generation bowlers and this generation, is the difference in quality of players they are having to face. This may be one good reason why the batsmen/bowlers who has had high level of success in the last generation.. often come out as mediocre standard players in the more 'heavy-duty' test cricket level of present.

ManInBlack
February 12, 2005, 02:39 PM
I can never forget the way prince used to swing the ball both ways. I enjoyed his bowling a lot.

Shanto...neeeeeeeeeeehh:down::down::down:

RazabQ
February 12, 2005, 03:24 PM
Yup, if there were two cricketers from the past generation who I wished were playing in this - it would be Atahar & Prince. I think those two would have taken to Test cricket like fish to water.

Fwullah - good comments.

cracky
February 12, 2005, 03:52 PM
I think Shawon (Humayun Ahmed's new wife) will play much better than Shanto, why don't we send her to UK.

Bat-PadTogether
February 12, 2005, 04:38 PM
damn it?You are kidding guys.No more Hasibul............Wayward Bowler?

babubangla
February 12, 2005, 09:35 PM
WHY Hasibul Hossain Shanto again???????????

In his ODI against India, Shanto's bowling figure was 6-0-53-0.
After this spell, the captain did not had the confidence on him to bring him back on to attack. I know some of you might say, he was not mentally ready to play this match. Then let us put some light on his performace lately:

The ODI against india on 27th December was his 1st international cricket after a long gap of 1 Year 3 Months. Before that last time he played ODI was in Faisalabad in Pakistan in 2003. His last 5 ODI bowling performances are as follows: 3-0-27-0, 5-0-31-0, 6-0-37-1, 6-0-30-0 and 6-0-53-0. In all of his last five matches, the Captain's (Khaled Mahmud and Habibul Bashar) did not have the courage to bring him back on to the attack after his 1st spell. Now tell me--who is Shanto? He is a pace bolwler intended sharing the new ball and perform as a attacking wicket taker. Bowling figures like 3-0-27-0, 5-0-31-0, 6-0-37-1, 6-0-30-0 and 6-0-53-0 is neither a economy bowling nor a wicket taking performance. Do you guys want our Captain to have some bowler in the team whom he (the Captain) can not dare to use for full 10 over spell???? Just give our captain a break!!! No more Shanto.

We certainly respect his contribution to the country. We also want to request him to allow us to remember him by his golden days!!

PoorFan
February 12, 2005, 10:27 PM
Even the original poster of this thread may not thought about these huge response.
Some of us are using ultimate language both in favor and against of inclusion Shanto
for England tour, while this issue is a dead one. We had a lot of discussion about him
soon after he was picked up for that last ODI against India. I think we had enough of it,
and need no more.

Shehwar
February 13, 2005, 12:32 AM
[]

Very nicely put indeed....I guess I just do get a bit carried away while talking bout the last generation of players...Take care...

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 1:54 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: quotes removed. Please do not quote large posts, quote relevant part instead. Thanks.