PDA

View Full Version : here we go again - ICC 2nd tier stuff

RazabQ
February 10, 2005, 02:23 AM
kukur shukorer chawal shobhttp://sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/02/10/scbose10.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/02/10/ixcrick.html

ICC consider two-tier system
By Mihir Bose (Filed: 10/02/2005)

Plans for a two-tier system in world cricket could soon be adopted by the International Cricket Council, the game's governing body.

The proposals – that Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, the two weakest Test-playing nations, should play less cricket and mostly at home – are likely to be agreed when the ICC's executive board meet in Delhi next month.

For some time the ICC have been concerned that the tour programme is not right. All 10 full members are supposed to play each other once at home and once away in five years and repeat that over the next five years. Each series must consist of at least two Tests and three one-day internationals. However, worried by the work load this has imposed on the leading players, the ICC set up a review of the programme in 2003.

Since then the abysmal performances of Bangladesh and the crisis in Zimbabwe has exposed the problems of the system. Bangladesh have only just, after 31 defeats in 34 games – many of them embarrassing – won their first Test.

Zimbabwe's cricket has been racked by the political crisis created by the Robert Mugabe regime, with their cricket declining alarmingly. This has led to one-sided matches.

The ICC programme was responsible for the biggest recent crisis in English cricket, forcing England to tour Zimbabwe to avoid breach of contract and heavy penalties. The new plan is that the eight major countries, barring Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, will play each other twice – once at home, once away – every four years. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will have a longer time span, as much as six years, to play the other countries.

What is more, initially Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will play most of their cricket at home. This is meant to deal with two problems. These two weak teams may perform better by playing at home, and countries hosting their tours may avoid suffering huge financial losses.

A two-tier system could allow the ICC gradually to bring other countries, such as Kenya and Holland, into Test cricket.

Tintin
February 10, 2005, 02:40 AM
Actually this is not bad. It is not the old two tier system that proposed moving Zim and BD down to another group with the associate nations. Decreasing the frequency of Test matches a little bit would be a good idea.

Six year schedule works out to 3 Test series a year. The other countries will play 4 series a year.

Not sure how the 'home tests' scheme will work. That is the only thing I am bothered about.

mahbubH
February 10, 2005, 02:56 AM
I don't mind with three series (2 home and 1 abroad) per year. This proposal is far better than the earlier proposals regarding 2-tier.

Sami
February 10, 2005, 03:00 AM
so does the 2nd tier team play each other in normal away matches? like in a 4 year span among each other?

Nasif
February 10, 2005, 03:13 AM
so when will we know that we are good enough for top tier? What happens then? does someone from top 8 get kicked down to tier 2?

Zobair
February 10, 2005, 03:32 AM
I wonder if the ICC can muster the votes for such a change? Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will obviously oppose. And there may be a good chance that the other member countries of ACC will object to the move.

mahbubH
February 10, 2005, 03:46 AM
>>> And there may be a good chance that the other member countries of ACC will object to the move.

I doubt because Jaguda also talked in this line while visiting Dhaka during India series.

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by nasif
so when will we know that we are good enough for top tier? What happens then? does someone from top 8 get kicked down to tier 2?
Bull's-eye!
U r right on the point here..

The funny thing is that when it comes to setting up any sort of Relegation or something between the proposed 1st & 2nd tier.. which may be played after every 2/3 years... to decide whether any of the 2nd tier teams may be promoted to 1st or any of the 1st tier teams to 2nd... the response of all the Top-Test teams has been 'Strictly Negative' !!

Elitism may we call it?!... I think yes!

Originally posted by Tintin
Not sure how the 'home tests' scheme will work. That is the only thing I am bothered about.
Unfortunately.. this 'Home Test' Issue is the sole reason for all these hypes! The monetary loss that the top nations are facing while hosting the lower ranked teams is the supreme reason behind all these Tier-Talks..

So forcing the lower ranked teams to play 'Home-Series-Only' is the very last proposal they will be interested to Discard from the list!!

Spitfire_x86
February 10, 2005, 08:15 AM
:E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E

Hasib
February 10, 2005, 08:20 AM
Problem for us is we play beta overrseas than at home...

mahbubH
February 10, 2005, 08:47 AM
As usual cricinfo thinks bit faster than others . (http://plus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/180005_WCI_10FEB2005.html)

Tintin
February 10, 2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
As usual cricinfo thinks bit faster than others . (http://plus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/180005_WCI_10FEB2005.html)

Very interesting.

What is more, initially Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will play most of their cricket at home

is what DT says. The emphasis is on the cycles and Bose mentions home matches only in passing.

CI acknowledges the source but goes for a 'masala' interpretation. 'Home alone' takes the centre stage and 'mostly' is replaced by a certain certainity.

Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, Test cricket's two weakest nations, could be limited to home appearances

couger
February 10, 2005, 09:13 AM
Actually this is not bad. It is not the old two tier system that proposed moving Zim and BD down to another group with the associate nations. Decreasing the frequency of Test matches a little bit would be a good idea.

Six year schedule works out to 3 Test series a year. The other countries will play 4 series a year.

Well, the problem here is branding it 'secon tier'. It immidiately puts us in the backfoot psycologically. I think it also would affect negatively in grooming future cricketers. Boys growing up today are growing up in a test playing nation and would aspire to be test cricketers and find role models accordingly. Branding BD a 'Second Tier' test nation will do their confidence no good.

As far as the # of tests in that time frame is concerned, I think we've been pretty much following that so far, haven't we. Correct me if I'm wrong.

couger
February 10, 2005, 09:16 AM
And this deal about playing at home is propostrous. This'll push us back a few years.

chinaman
February 10, 2005, 09:45 AM
Each and every full member nation of the ICC must have equal rights to play the same brand of Test cricket, anything else is unacceptable.

chyicarus
February 10, 2005, 09:49 AM
I don't think we have enough teams playing Intl Cricket to make a 2 tier system. If we can have another 2-3 more nations playing Tests- then we can think about the 2-tier system. Otherwise at this point it is not a feasible option. But I like the idea. This way weak teams like BD, Zim can take their time to improve themselves without having added pressure of losing matches on a regular basis. I'd rather see BD win than lose- even against weak teams!

Fazal
February 10, 2005, 10:45 AM
If they really need to implement two tier system, the I would suggest that, keep only Australia in tier-1 and the rest of the nations in tier-2.
The real problem right now is nobody can compete with Australia in true sense.

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 11:01 AM
To be frank.. these are all very disturbing news!

Shish Ahmed
February 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
Bangladesh can only improve if they play good sides i.e other test nations and not playing the likes of Zimbabwe and Kenya two or three times a year. Icc also must consider how long it took the other nations to become good teams and also how long it took Bangladesh to win their first Test.

allrounder
February 10, 2005, 11:14 AM
This will turn out to be better than worse for Bangladesh Cricket. It will help us focus on our domestic cricket. Also BD will find itself put to the test of where we really belong.

We will get the chance to prove that we deserve test status based on our current strength and mentality and not just future potential. Remeber that we were given test status based on our love for cricket, and our future potential. But dropping us in the middle of the ocean is not the best approach, we should get the chance of going to the top by showing other nations that we are stronger and better than them.

bangalee
February 10, 2005, 11:17 AM
this is so wrong... you can't improve without playing stronger teams and in different environments.

I play cricket (ah! Old men's cricket) but hey we always get challenged when we play a stronger team than ours and specially if it's in a different location. This is no mystry but a straight forward truth. ICC is now a money greedy org so can't blame them for coming with some weird structure.

It's us, BD have to play and prove that yes we can beat other teams out side home. The best chance is coming in the England tour, WE must believe that we can pull a match each against aus and eng. I do, hope our players do too.

Only good performance can slap the face of ICC nothing else can.

:fanflag:

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 12:18 PM
Telegraph & CricInfo processing only selected part of the picture??

Am I the only one having a feeling that both Telegraph & CrickInfo are encouraging only partial view of the total picture?? From a number of sources we have already had info that ICC is reconsidering it’s financial planning and thinking of revising it... and possibly developing proposals to solve it. But media like Telegraph & CrickInfo (who are possibly more in favor of the idea of 2-tier) are intentionally trimming off the total picture, focussing on the desired part alone!

The CrickInfo article itself admits(in later part of the article):
“Speaking to Cricinfo, an ICC spokesman confirmed that this option was one of several being tabled, although it was stressed that there has been no clarification as yet, and a final decision could be deferred until the next meeting at Lord's in June.”

Whereas these media are absolutely not interested to even mention about other options placed, as they don’t want those being discussed about or find any ground. They really distort the picture and growls: “ICC wants 2-tier!!”

Zobair
February 10, 2005, 12:29 PM
hmm...any final decision regarding this plan won't be takne until June...our tour of England takes on a whole new meaning. This may be our most crucial tour in our early test career yet! And I also hope Zimbabwe gives South Africa a good run for their money...and doing so put our win against them in good perspective. :)

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 12:45 PM
Right pompous.
Infact, the BD-ZIM series had high importance in that respect also, because ICC had similar sort of discussions in OCT/NOV last year.. and I would say BD has passed that test quite confidently.. and the ODI win vs. India just prior to that was even more significant!

I am hopefull, that BD will make ICC think more during the ENG tour by good performance.

ny_immunity
February 10, 2005, 01:07 PM
Well I got mad enough to register and post after reading this stuff on cricinfo...Now they want to drop us down to 2nd tier ....The editorialization of cricinfo ticks the heck out of me....report the news ...and if I want your across the border opinion Ill beat it out of you...

excerpts:
"Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, Test cricket's two weakest nations,..."

"Last month, Bangladesh finally won a Test match at the 35th time of asking, after 31 (mostly comprehensive) defeats in their first four years as a senior nation. "

"That victory came at Zimbabwe's expense, however, which merely highlighted the extent to which these two nations have slipped away from the pack. "

"Bangladesh v Zimbabwe was a competitive series, but that merely highlighted the gulf between them and the rest "

I think Dav should post these articles in the locker room front door so we can use it as motivation to BEAT ENGLAND AND INDIA. Tape the article to Aftabs bat when he whacks those 'elitists' out of the park. The only way we can shut these guys up is to BEAT THEM with a bat (maybe on a cricket pitch).... LETS GO.

Faisal
February 10, 2005, 01:50 PM
i read this info from cricinfo... and i agree with icc... good decision.. now we can play much better cricket against, kenya, zim, holland.. i wonder if bd can beat kenya in test... nyways.. hope now bd will improve their cricket:fanflag:

fab
February 10, 2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by allrounder
We will get the chance to prove that we deserve test status based on our current strength and mentality and not just future potential. Remeber that we were given test status based on our love for cricket, and our future potential.

Agree 100% I like the direction this idea is going rather than the structured tier system where we can't play the top teams at all. This will also give us time to play more games against kenya and demonstrate our strengths.

Although one disadvantage is that we won't have that many opportunities to increase our points in the rankings. So it may take us ages to reach the same number of points of the bottom half of the 'super 8' (guessing that is the point at which they will HAVE to promote us).

Otherwise, can anyone HONESTLY say we should continue with the system we have now? We can't rely on charity when it comes to sport. We should prove ourselves.

aosaif
February 10, 2005, 07:09 PM
The only thing I don't like is playing only home series. We need to play away as well so that players can learn more about foriegn conditions. Also, if the ICC goes ahead with their plan, then they should force other countries to host more A-team tours for us so that they can "avoid their financial loss" while our cricket improves at the normal rate.

Ibrahim
February 10, 2005, 08:14 PM
ICC 2-tier policy is completely unacceptable, irrational, and unjustified. It’s not a sporting policy at all. It is just a commercial and business policy and nobody wondered if anyone says ICC (ICC (International Cricket Corporate), because ICC is not going to improve/expand Cricket, but it is just going to commercialized cricket.

Why money/business/profit/loss issues come in test cricket. Is not it just game/sports? What is the main objective of sports, is it just to make money/profit out of it?

How did test cricket survived, last couple of decades, when this game was not evaluated based on the economic feasibility. If ICC wants to make money out of cricket then there are many other ways to do that, for sure that is not by depriving world most cricket loving country Bangladesh and her 150 million supporters.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 1:21 AM GMT, by Ibrahim.

shaheen
February 10, 2005, 09:08 PM
Is it thr right time for ICC to take such decissions?

cricketboy
February 10, 2005, 09:18 PM
They can certainly limit bangladesh's test matches but should make sure that bangladesh gets plenty of other matches against A teams and associate members at free times. They should just not limit Bangladesh to play all test matches at home as it would make the cricketers less adaptable to different tracks around the globe and hinder the progress of players of our country.

shaheen
February 10, 2005, 09:19 PM
I was wondering what will happen when those "WHITE PLAYERS" of Zim come to play for Zim and BD beat ENGLAND (I hope at least a good fight from them)? Will they agin for for this two tier system???

I am waiting forward and looking for ICC's decision in near future. .oops:

fab
February 10, 2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Ibrahim
Why money/business/profit/loss issues come in test cricket. Is not it just game/sports? What is the main objective of sports, is it just to make money/profit out of it?
Unfortunately that has become the case for competitive international sports.

How did test cricket survived, last couple of decades, when this game was not evaluated based on the economic feasibility.
Off the back of ODIs? Even if people weren't watching much Test cricket they still were watching ODIs. I think their problem now is that neither Test matches nor ODIs are drawing in crowds for games against Bd and Zimb :( Having said that, didn't someone mention that hte Test matches in England were already sold out?? Anyhow, but definitely in Australia there wasn't much interest.

I also think that recently ICCer boro gola hoiechey about this matter because there are two low teams. It's much easier to sideline two instead of one. Less chance of criticism, suiing etc.

Enough of this issue. Let's hope all parties involved can come to solution that everyone is more or less happy with :)

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by cricketboy
They can certainly limit bangladesh's test matches but should make sure that bangladesh gets plenty of other matches against A teams and associate members at free times. They should just not limit Bangladesh to play all test matches at home as it would make the cricketers less adaptable to different tracks around the globe and hinder the progress of players of our country.
Sobar samne mukher upor thappor mere tarpor sobar arale pithe hat bulanor moto 'scheme' dorkar nai bhai!!

shujan
February 10, 2005, 11:13 PM
ICC doesn't have any right to put Bangladesh in this position. They didn't take this kind of racist action against Srilanka,India and Newzealand. Newzealand lost for 26 years. India lost for 19 years. Now they are elite. Give us 2 more years we will shub win up the elites behind.

Leave Bangladesh alone. Enough is enough.

rafiq
February 10, 2005, 11:41 PM
if it is indeed 3 series a year, one solution would be 2 at home and 1 away. The series have to be 3 tests, not 2 tests and 3-5 ODIs to make up for the reduced series.

By the time they go through a 6 year cycle, Bangladesh will have beaten all these teams probably. This is a waste of time.

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 11:55 PM
2005>>> (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/test/future_tours/2005.html)
2006>>> (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/test/future_tours/2006.html)
2007>>> (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/test/future_tours/2007.html)
2008>>> (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/test/future_tours/2008.html)
2009>>> (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/test/future_tours/2009.html)
2010>>> (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/test/future_tours/2010.html)

Ahmed_B
February 11, 2005, 01:58 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/ahmedb/Temporary/tests.jpg

-According to ICC Website Schedule. So far it looks good enough to me.. but it's the programmed 'Away' Series which are probably under question. If ICC revise this schedule and cut off the Away series.. that would be bad.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 7:01 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

gobdgo
February 11, 2005, 06:40 AM
if any ellite(so called) team dont wanna come to BD or ZIM, for any composed reason, then what? Will ICC take any regulatory actions?