PDA

View Full Version : A backdoor policy to take away test status

LateCut
February 10, 2005, 01:38 PM
I think the proposed 2-tier test system is just a backdoor policy to take test status away from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Why else only the bottom two are chosen for the second tier? Why not bottom five?

How will the test records be maintained? Will a bottom tier century be regarded as equivalent to a century made between to top tier teams?

Faisal
February 10, 2005, 01:44 PM
i dont understand why you fguys thinking that way.... i belive icc take right path... now bd will learn how to play cricket.. caz we cant play good cricket against austrlia, england, southafrica, pakistan, india.. ppl laugh at us..
if we can beat zim, kenya, holland.... in regular.. then ya.. we wil get chance to play away test match:):flag:

Pundit
February 10, 2005, 01:48 PM
Here's the real deal -

The Indians (minus the person who got us the status, but that was more for fianancial reasons, and since he no longer is with the ICC, he could care less) obviously do not want us, like the English and the New Zealanders, mainly speaking. The Pakistanis can never make up their mind about us. So we will get the boot.

With Zimbabwe, there is just too too much vested interest in demeaning them. By the English I mean. The fact that Zims is run by the Africans, and in general was always a weakling colony relative to others, the English can still to this date not stand their loss of grip of that country 25 yrs back. So that's what it is all about. Though Mugabe hasn't helped, but then again, look at the whole deal from a East Pakistanis point of view in circa 1969.

Faisal
February 10, 2005, 01:54 PM
Well, heard england dun want to play with bangladesh coming series.. caz then they will have fianancial problem.. ppl wont come to see the match.. tv wont make money.. all those kinda thing same goes to zim.. lol may be thatswhy england ask icc to think about it.. and austrlia also support england proposal.. so is southafrica? lol english ppl r very dangerous.. history says that.. nobody can top them.. haha

pinch_hitter
February 10, 2005, 02:27 PM
I kinda agree with Faisal. If ICC adopts both the proposals; the limited-to-home-appreances and two-tier system; Bangladesh will improve playing good cricket against Zimbabwe, Kenya and Holland, and at the same time they'll have the opportunity to play the other 8 nations in homeground. That way, nobody will be upset about losing money over broadcasting and audience, Bangladesh will make MORE money by hosting more home series, and by all means the tigers will improve their game.

So as hurtful as it may sound, I think this might not turn out to be such a bad step after all...

Fazal
February 10, 2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by pinch_hitter
<b>Bangladesh will improve playing good cricket </b>against Zimbabwe, Kenya and Holland, and at the same time they'll have the opportunity to play the other 8 nations in homeground.

In short term Bangladesh will play the same quality of cricket (compared to good or bad cricket) against ZIM, KEN, etc. The only diff will be it will be more competetive (ZIM) or lopsided (KEN, HOL) in favor of Bangladesh. There is a chance the BD players will under perform due to lack of comptitition or pressure.

Just reducing the quality of opponent doesn't mean Bangladesh will play good cricket.

Spitfire_x86
February 10, 2005, 02:42 PM
Two tier will slowly kill our cricket.

I would be happier if ICC takes away our Test status instead of putting us in the 2nd tier, because if they want to kill our cricket, it's a quicker and less painful way.

pinch_hitter
February 10, 2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
In short term Bangladesh will play the same quality of cricket (compared to good or bad cricket) against ZIM, KEN, etc. The only diff will be it will be more competetive (ZIM) or lopsided (KEN, HOL) in favor of Bangladesh. There is a chance the BD players will under perform due to lack of comptitition or pressure.

Just reducing the quality of opponent doesn't mean Bangladesh will play good cricket.

I agree. But look at it as a first-class league. Playing these countries will be better (if not the same) than playing our own National Cricket League; more variation (bowling, pitch-condition, weather...). I'm not saying we should stop out NCL, but honestly speaking, one of the main reason Bangladesh collapses when it comes to stronger opponents is that they get exposed to a totally different bowling lineup, whole new pitch, unfamiliar weather, whole new crowd.

Being the newest member of the test family, we do need more exposures to these aspects. I think it'll work towards our benefit.

Besides, I'm not sure if the two-tier and the home-series-only proposals are either-or scenario or an AND scenario, but both are implemented, we get to play the 'big brothers' too.

Edited on, February 10, 2005, 8:02 PM GMT, by pinch_hitter.

Faisal
February 10, 2005, 03:06 PM
pinch_hitter is right... it wont kill our cricket.. it will help to improve our cricket... how u guys sure that bd will beat kenya in test??? or odi... can bd beat them?? we have to beat zim, kenya in regular match.. then we can think about to beat india, england or other country... we cant even beat kenya.. and u thinking playing against australia and improve cricket??? which makes me laugh... hatir sate murgir fight arr ki.. nyways

Fazal
February 10, 2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Faisal
how u guys sure that bd will beat kenya in test??? or odi... can bd beat them??

With the current state of ZIM and KEN, I am pretty sure we will be competative with ZIM and beat KEN easily in test and ODI. I hope you are following what's going on in Keniyan Cricket. Their infrastructure is suspect, managment in chaos, their superstars are getting pretty old, there is no new players with significant potential is comming out.

Originally posted by Faisal
and u thinking playing against australia and improve cricket??? which makes me laugh... hatir sate murgir fight arr ki.. nyways

Besides Aus, there are 8 more test cricket playing nations we have. Against Aus everyone else is 'murgi'.

akabir77
February 10, 2005, 06:33 PM
we can beat zim, ken, scot or any other asso in our home land but can we do it in their turf?

al Furqaan
February 10, 2005, 06:59 PM
2nd tier status will kill BD cricket...imagine if you are a player like ash or aftab...just gettin the hang of things...suddenly u are told to go back to a previous lower level.

the fans will feel the same way...ICC are acting in a stupid way...how many countries have 15 kuti ppl and follow cricket as fanactically as we do?

i will engage in a bod doa...if ICC kills BD cricket, i hope some calamity causes cricket to get wiped of the face of this planet completely. may allah curse the game if we don't get to play on the highest level.

all those who expected BD to overnight become as good as Australia deserve to get [] for their stupidity.

f[] all the elitists, whatever f[]ing country they come from, even if from BD...may you burn in hell for all eternity and may your cricket perish.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 5:36 AM GMT, by nasif.
Reason: Calm down

Hasib
February 10, 2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
Besides Aus, there are 8 more test cricket playing nations we have. Against Aus everyone else is 'murgi'.

Totally agree but I wud like to add to it...

Playing Australia DOES help. After the Australian tour, remember what happened in the Pakistan tour?

Oh yeah... as for Kenya... they got flogged in the intercontinental trophy...

shovon13
February 10, 2005, 07:06 PM
hey faisal...remember how we performed in pakistan after we played the aussies in australia? hope that answers ur question.

i agree with everyone else, two tier system will just destroy our cricket.

p.s. lol...damn i just echoed hasib's post.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 12:08 AM GMT, by shovon13.

fab
February 10, 2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by LateCut
I think the proposed 2-tier test system is just a backdoor policy to take test status away from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Why else only the bottom two are chosen for the second tier? Why not bottom five?
It's all about money. Why is that so hard to understand? Bottom five teams generate income. Bottom five teams STILL have way more points than us.

Anyhow, the upcoming series in England will be a make it or break it series for us. If we can prove that YES we have improved and can give the top teams a run for their money, then we'll have an argument for our case. But if we capitulate like pansies, then they probably will go ahead with this plan.. It's unfortunate that we will have to prove ourselves against the two top teams though :(

battye
February 10, 2005, 07:44 PM
Bangladesh deserved their test status back in 2000 (?) so it shouldn't be taken away from them, give them time to improve. Eventually they will give the top teams a run for their money, but it takes time..

sujon
February 10, 2005, 08:07 PM
ICC shd make it a three tier system in case they want to change the current status.

Tier1. Australia

Tier2 and tier three the rest.

India shd play australia only at home coz they are only competitive thr ( with a few exceptions)

we deserve some time and we'll reach thr not too far inshallah. this multi tier system can only take us backwards.

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 1:09 AM GMT, by sujon.

ManInBlack
February 10, 2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by fab
[quote]Originally posted by LateCut

Anyhow, the upcoming series in England will be a make it or break it series for us. If we can prove that YES we have improved and can give the top teams a run for their money, then we'll have an argument for our case. But if we capitulate like pansies, then they probably will go ahead with this plan.. It's unfortunate that we will have to prove ourselves against the two top teams though :(

There may not be any series against England..ICC meeting is next month.

Shubho
February 10, 2005, 08:18 PM
This tier system thing is complete hogwash. People should just stop touting this BS. In football, nobody complains that France have to play World Cup qualifiers against Latvia, or that England have to play the Faroe Islands. Hell, major European teams have to face crappy Asian teams in the World Cup proper. The other eight teams and the ICC should get over it, and let us continue to play according to the existing setup. So opponents steamrolled us in the past. Who gives a toss? Why turn a blind eye to the huge strides that we have made in the last one and a half years since that test in Australia? I'm sure if the world backed us properly, we would go places. Instead, all anybody does is denigrate our performances (even if they are good) and demoralize us until it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Can't wait until the England tour. We may not win, but we're definitely going to raise a lot of eyebrows. Those Limey dipshits are going to get a handful of cow-dung stuffed down their throats, inshallah. Then, the ICC will take note. I'm certain our boys won't let us down.

LateCut
February 10, 2005, 08:58 PM
We cannot improve by playing dandagoollee with the likes of Holand. We need to play againgst quality opposition and on their turf. May be ICC should think of ways to compenate the stronger nations for hosting weaker teams. This should part of of the overall development plan.

fab
February 10, 2005, 09:43 PM
I thought the ICC was suggesting that we play LESS games with the super-8? They're not taking AWAY our test status!

The example with football (soccer) is non-sequitur. How many times
is France required to hold series against Latvia both at home and away(apart from World Cups)? Logically, those who complain that having many tournaments against lowly teams such as Kenya and Namibia would degrade our cricket should understand the POV of the ICC and super 8s. They are complaining about the exact same things!

The main problem is that both BD & Zimb are in a clear category of their own. Not good enough for super 8 but too good for associates.

So, instead of crying witless like most members of this message board, the BCB should ask for more time from the ICC, say one or two years, to demostrate the improvements (both domestic and international) instead of using the standard template "we have 150 million ppl who love cricket and will kill themselves" argument.

Zobair
February 10, 2005, 09:47 PM
I think the away tours should be cut in half...not be totally done away with...and the remainng awy tours should be converted into home tours for Bangladesh. This should satisfy the ICC no? It addresses the revenue issue...and "letting Bangladesh and Zimbabwe's playing more at home" strategy.

chinaman
February 10, 2005, 09:58 PM
There always had been weaker test playing nations throughout the history. Did ICC ever bothered to think of such divided test programs?

If the test playing nations have been playing too much cricket, is it Bangladesh's fault? If the top players frequently succumb to injury, fatigue and what not, is it Banglacricket'd fault too?

Did ICC ever granted Bangladesh test status with some conditions attached?

Ghore dukte deele boshte dite hoy.

Once you allow to re-brand the Test cricket, there is no coming back. Today, reduced program, God knows what's coming tomorrow!

Ahmed_B
February 10, 2005, 10:40 PM
Frankly speaking... I think the ICC is waiting with a whole damn set of proposals like this!

They targeted the BD-ZIM series and probably were expecting to have an opportunity to place them.. but BD din't perform that bad in those series. Now they are waiting for the BD-ENG-AUS matches... and these 'Creative Ideas' will evolve right after those matches.

I say: BD's tour to England is gonna be too vital for BD! :duh:

shujan
February 10, 2005, 10:51 PM
ICC doesn't have any right to discriminate against A full member. Bangladesh is a full member. Bangladesh has equal right as any other member.

Samin
February 10, 2005, 11:17 PM
This sux!

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 4:19 AM GMT, by Samin.

jabbar
February 10, 2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by al Furqaan
i will engage in a bod doa...if ICC kills BD cricket, i hope some calamity causes cricket to get wiped of the face of this planet completely. may allah curse the game if we don't get to play on the highest level.

all those who expected BD to overnight become as good as Australia deserve to get gang raped for their stupidity.

f**k all the elitists, whatever fakking country they come from, even if from BD...may you burn in hell for all eternity and may your cricket perish.

Dude, calm down! That sort of language and disgusting comments are not welcoem on this forum!!

To all others, just remember that nothing has happened yet. Whatever happens, it will be for the best. The BD team will bounce back from whethever happens...:fanflag:

Edited on, February 11, 2005, 4:50 AM GMT, by jabbar.

jabbar
February 10, 2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Shubho

Can't wait until the England tour. We may not win, but we're definitely going to raise a lot of eyebrows. Those Limey dipshits are going to get a handful of cow-dung stuffed down their throats, inshallah. Then, the ICC will take note. I'm certain our boys won't let us down.

Dude, I hope the BD team are getting angry about all this! The culprits are most likely the English members of the ICC, so that should form the perfect reason to get mad and play well in England !!!!! :E:E:E:mad::mad::mad:

Dhakablues
February 11, 2005, 01:32 AM
At the end,,, if the crowd from those countries dont want to see us play,, do we really want to go there? If we are humilated by non attendance,, I dont think the morale is going to be high either...

More than that, Test cricket is a dying sports... already losing interest except the subcontinent and Australia.