PDA

View Full Version : Oghoton of the Century

sangeet
February 12, 2005, 12:01 AM
Chacha made 141* against Sylhet, in the just concluded 4 day First Class match.

First Class Chacha (http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/02/12/d50212040128.htm)

The selectors must be scratching their head..:great:

Mahmood
February 12, 2005, 12:13 AM
Test team e Ferar shesh cheshta.. moron kamor dichhe wicket e...Dekhi keda out kore!

pinch_hitter
February 12, 2005, 02:27 AM
HA HA HA HA HA HA.....

Before even reading what this thread is about, just from the subject I had a hunch its about Chacha's century... and it is!!

It's indeed the 'oghoton of the century'!!! ... lol. well put :)

Ahmed_B
February 12, 2005, 02:58 AM
We are actually still to get a consistant amount of runs from him in ODI's (despite the countless number of chances that he has had, in several batting positions).

Its more important that he shows his worthyness with the bat by scoring in ODI's that he still plays rather than targetting the domestic leagues. Otherwise he will be just another bat who hits big in his own backyard and comes out super-flop against other nations! That wont get him back in the test ever!

akabir77
February 12, 2005, 01:50 PM
If chacha can keep his form in batting and bowling as well i hope that he gets picked for the England test team. Cuase his bowling over there should be devastating and with that if he can bat well then its going to be very good for bd...

What r ur thoughts on this matter?

I think he should be at least considered..

AND COngrats CHachA.. :great:

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 7:18 AM GMT, by nasif.
Reason: Thread merged from this point.

chyicarus
February 12, 2005, 04:16 PM
ummm- i don't agree with you. He's definitely not a Test match calibre player! I don't see him playing test even if he scores 600 runs in the domestic season.
In Test match cricket technique matters, and i don't think he has the technique to bat. His bowling will be meat and drink for the England batsmen! He's definitely a useful bowler in One-day but Tests are a whole different ball game!

bdboy
February 12, 2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro
Test team e Ferar shesh cheshta.. moron kamor dichhe wicket e...Dekhi keda out kore!

Well said!!! LOL

fwullah
February 12, 2005, 11:23 PM
Yes, crickethorizon is right - Sujon has to do something with the bat in the ODIs first - even at number 8 & 9 positions before hoping to get a call back into the test team.

Why? Because -

1. It is better to prove your worth in ODIs against the same opponents before you're going to play tests again

2. Our lower order some times turn out to be good - actually better than our top order, but compared to other test nations, our lower order is nothing. They are just good at achieving some respect in a LOST match.

3. Statistically speaking, there is no century partnerships for Bangladesh from the 7th wicket to the 10th wicket - where Sujon bats.

4. The top score by a batsman in ODIs from the lower order is 89* by Alok Kapali at number 6 position - which is highly discouraging (no other player from the lower-lower middle order getting near to a century, let alone scoring a hundred; when most of the time in the recent past, our 5 top batsman got out inside the first 15 overs)

5. The only player from the lower order to get more than one fifty is Khaled Mashud Pilot, who generally bats at number 7, so Sujon has to surpass Pilot's batting record first, and be as consistent as Pilot, if not more consistent

6. The only justice that a lower order player of Bangladesh has done is Rafique's century - even that, in a test match!

bourny3
February 13, 2005, 08:37 PM
I agree there is no reason to include Mahmud in the team. There is no spot for him.

Dhakablues
February 13, 2005, 09:09 PM
either way,, he is going to England as he is still a player that routinely takes wickets and can check runs ( and score them too) I am glad that he is taking this Natl league to refine his skills. He will not return to tests,, as its pretty much decided that we have the best combination now. My 2 cents.

Ibrahim
February 13, 2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by chyicarus
ummm- i don't agree with you. He's definitely not a Test match calibre player! I don't see him playing test even if he scores 600 runs in the domestic season.
In Test match cricket technique matters, and i don't think he has the technique to bat. His bowling will be meat and drink for the England batsmen! He's definitely a useful bowler in One-day but Tests are a whole different ball game!

Lol. this comment is enough. And enough is enough.

akabir77
February 14, 2005, 09:00 AM
but he did well in england in the past and his bowing wont be as easy as one might think in english condition so... i am not sure as some of u r...

he also won us a match agains susex... remember that breezy 85+ (guess)

BangladeshFan
February 14, 2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Dhakablues
either way,, he is going to England as he is still a player that routinely takes wickets and can check runs ( and score them too) I am glad that he is taking this Natl league to refine his skills. He will not return to tests,, as its pretty much decided that we have the best combination now. My 2 cents.

sujon is like gavin larsen of bangladesh. he is a necessity in one dayers and waste of space in tests. in whatever conditions he bowl in england, i cant see him troubling england batsman with that gentle pace. but for one dayers he is an asset, batsman has to play across the line against him.

we must play enamul and rafiq together in test matches, be that in may or december in england.

mahbubH
February 14, 2005, 12:00 PM
Chacha plays with cross bat most of the time. He can score in BD because Mahbubur Rahmans are afraid of giving him LBW. In tests about 33% of times he was LBW.

chyicarus
February 14, 2005, 01:47 PM
Sport_fan_Bd is correct in his observations. If you look at his technique, it is difficult for him to play straight, he's only good at pulling and hooking and cross batted swipes, but in English conditions a batsman has to play straight. Its not as bouncy and pacy as Australian wickets but rather more movement of the wicket(weather permitted) and seam movement.
I think we need stable openers and not dashers. Hope Javed Omar plays to his potential and clings on the wicket. We need good starts in the Test matches.
But if you look into the likes of Harmison, Hoggard and Jones, they will have no problems figuring out the weaknesses of B'deshi batsmen. So Mahmud- get born again and improve your technique, other than that you're set in the one-dayers.
He's shouldn't be compared to Larsen becoz in 121 ODI's he had 113 wickets with 3.76 economy rate! While Mahmud on the other hand has in 72 ODI an economy rate of 5.01!

couger
February 14, 2005, 02:01 PM
When was the last time he played in a test? Just wondering.

babubangla
February 14, 2005, 02:10 PM
While he was Captain of the team...against Pakistan in Multan

babubangla
February 14, 2005, 04:34 PM
Here is the performance of Bangladeshi Players in Englisg Condition while playing for the national team. I think this might give us some indication on Khaled Mahmud's effectiveness in English Condition.

Batting Runss Innings NO Ave.
Javed Omar 136 6 0 22.67
Mohammad Ashraful 148 7 0 21.14
Nafis Iqbal 258 7 0 36.86
Aftab Ahmed 132 7 0 18.86
Rajin Saleh 164 7 3 41.00
Khaled Masud 221 14 4 22.10
Md. Rafique 86 9 2 12.29
Tapas Baisya 47 5 1 11.75
Nazmul Hossain 06 4 2 3.00
Manjurul Islam Ran 07 4 0 1.75
Khaled Mahmud 241 10 2 30.13
Mushfiqur Rahman 21 2 0 10.50
Faisal Hossain 54 1 0 54.00
Hassibul Hossain 26 4 1 8.67
Manjurul Islam 21 4 3 21.00

Bowling Over Mdn Run Wkts Econ. Ave.
Tapash Baisya 43 1 248 6 5.77 41.33
Nazmul Hossain 46 4 189 3 4.11 63.00
Khaled Mahmud 92 9 450 11 4.89 40.91
Md. Rafique 75 4 311 10 4.15 31.10
Manjurul Rana 36 1 137 5 3.81 27.40
Rajin Saleh 11.4 1 65 4 5.57 16.25
Md Ashraful 1 0 3 0 3.00 N/A
Mushfiq Rahman 15.1 0 74 0 4.88 N/A
Tareq Aziz 20 2 84 2 4.20 42.00
Hassibul Hossain 41 5 159 4 3.88 39.75
Manjurul Islam 36 5 128 3 3.56 42.67

Fazal
February 14, 2005, 04:49 PM
Cross bat or Not, a century is a century. Poor ChaCha...

If you are reading this thread ChaCha, please follow my advice...

If you score another century, people will still be after you: cross bat, not good technique for ENG tour, too short, too slow, no movement, too old, too cranky, too selfish, too this and too that.

Therefore in your next innings play with <b>straight bat like Alok Kapali </b> and score a gem like 4 runs in 36 balls. Everyone will be off from your back and you will be an automatic selection from there on.:mad:

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 10:12 PM GMT, by Fazal.

reyme
February 14, 2005, 07:01 PM
Fazal, very well said. All this tecqnique, talent, and class proved to be good for nothing if you cant score! The stats found by babubangla says it all.

With all these technique and talents, Javed, Ashraful, Kapali cant come any close to Khaled Mahmud. Not with total, not with average.

Explain guys, without technique how come Khaled Mahmud racked up an agerage which is 33% better that your so called dream batsmen? The games in NL are being and will be played on green pitches, so if Khaled Mahmud plays better than "talented batsmen", then they should show these so called Talented batsmen like Kapali the door, and play the real experienced player, like Khaled Mahmud.

Please justify your resoning by taking a 2nd look at the performance. And why a predetermined mindset about him playing at 8/9? How do you know? If this guys score consistently better, then why not let him play at #6/7? Let the best player play, and I think at this moment Khaled Mahmud is playing better than Javed, Kapali and maybe even Ashraful.

cricket_pagla
February 17, 2005, 01:11 AM
:fanflag:
"Oghoton of the Century"
silo ai posty er heading... kintu aisa dekhi k.m.sujon er test/odi niya kotha bola hoche... shujon jodi aaro 2 ta century pay taile take england tour e neoya uchit....