PDA

View Full Version : Indo-Pak Series

DJ Sahastra
February 12, 2005, 02:49 PM
India-Pakistan series is NEVER about form or statistics or talent or rankings.

It's about which team had it's lucky day and more importantly, which team handled pressure better than the other.

It's about which players were able to hold on to their nerves, and which players got washed away in the Tsunami of pressure and expectation.

The series defines the mental strength of the players and separates goods from greats and fallibles from heroes.

If Miandad's last ball six was one defining moment in Miandad's and Chetan Sharma's career, Sachin's mauling of Shoaib with that contemptous cut-slash six was a defining moment for Shoaib. Neither Shoaib nor Chetan Sharma were the same again.

The likes od Salman Butt and Shoaib Mallik have set the trends for Pakistan in preceding one-dayers and Shewag's triple-century along with Dravid's double set the tone for the preceding test-series.

Sachin's mesmerizing delivery to Moin which left him bamboozled was the defining moment of the test, the series and Moin's Career. We don't know what such defining moments will be in store as the India-Pakistan series starts.

There are NO clear favourites or underdogs, be it the tests or the ODIs.

:duh::lol::cool:

Bat-PadTogether
February 12, 2005, 04:15 PM
This Pakistani team will do nothing against the strong confident Indian team.Without Sohaib Akhter,Mohammad Sami,Umer Gul and Shabbir Ahmed the bowling side looks very weak.Pakistan should be proud to have a fighter bowler like Navidul Hassan Rana.He is quite handy with the bat too.Too many changes in the batting slot never settles a player,it is just worst to have all those changes and resufflings in the top order.:down::down:

chyicarus
February 12, 2005, 04:17 PM
It will be a very tough series from Pakistan's point of view. They won't be able to perform in the Tests but in the One-day series i feel they might edge out India!

Bat-PadTogether
February 12, 2005, 04:20 PM
Police have stopped 50 political protesters from entering the Green Park Stadium in Kanpur, according to the Press Trust of India. They were suspected of being affiliated to the same group that had attempted to damage the Mohali pitch two days ago.

Eye-witnesses claimed that the protesters raised slogans and attempted to enter the stadium, a move that had little success because security had been increased there after it became known that the Green Park ground was a potential target for protesters unhappy at Pakistan's proposed visit.

Grounds around India have strengthened security to prevent untoward incidents that could hamper the smooth running of the tour.

Bat-PadTogether
February 12, 2005, 04:22 PM
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has said that it is not carrying out a witchhunt against speedster Shoaib Akhtar and might still consider him for the Indian tour if he satisfies the board both about his alleged contractual violations and his fitness.

"Let's make it clear we have got no instructions from anyone to end his career and initiate disciplinary proceedings against him. We have nothing personal against him. But the fact of the matter is that in recent times he has been creating problems for the team management and board and this is unacceptable," The News quoted a senior PCB official as saying.

Shoaib is expected to submit a written explanation on four alleged disciplinary violations today. He faces charges of visiting a nightclub in Australia, releasing press statements and reporting late to the National Cricket Academy after returning from the Australia tour.

"There have been instances where he has defied our orders and done his own thing. This cannot be tolerated anymore. But we are proceeding according to normal procedure and it is not correct that we have made up our minds to discipline him and drop him for the Indian tour," the official was quoted as saying.

The paper also reports that if the special inquiry committee set up by Chairman Shaharyar Khan is not satisfied with his reply, then he might have to face the disciplinary committee headed by Justice (Retd) Ameer Alam.

There is also a possibility that the selectors might consider him only for the Test matches and not for the one-dayers in India due to his fitness problems. -- Asian News International (ANI)

chyicarus
February 12, 2005, 04:23 PM
Shoaib or no Shoaib. Pakistan team will lose the Test series but might just clip the Indian in the one-dayers!

Bat-PadTogether
February 12, 2005, 04:25 PM
Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq believes that leading the team to India will be the pinnacle of his career.

"I am looking forward to leading the side against India. For the boys, any match against India is special. It would be the high point of my career leading the side in the full series in India," The News quoted Inzamam, as saying.

According to Inzamam the experience of Australia tour will benefit his team in India.

"We didn't play well in the tests but we were better in the one- dayers, so hopefully our guys will have learnt a lot from this and I remain optimistic that the boys will show their improved play in India, a tour which is very important for us," the paper quoted Inzamam, as saying.

Inzamam pointed out that even India displayed great confidence and improvement in their game when they toured Pakistan after playing in Australia. He also praised his boys for working hard and giving a good fight to the tough Australians.

Australia had beaten Pakistan by 3-0 in the test series but Pakistan managed to win three games out of eight in the VB series. -- Asian News International (ANI)

Bat-PadTogether
February 12, 2005, 04:27 PM
A 16-member Pakistan cricket team for the three-Test series against India will be announced on February 18, Chairman of Selectors Wasim Bari said today.

"We will announce a 16-member team on February 18 after following normal procedures, including discussions with the team management on the possible shape of the squad for the Tests," Bari told PTI.

Bari, a former Pakistan captain, also said that before finalising the India-bound team, the selectors would certainly like to listen to the team management's point of view on the Australian tour.

He did not elaborate further but it is believed that the selectors are peeved over the team management's selections and continous shuffling in the batting order during the series Down Under.

Asked to comment on the Indian squad, he said it was a good all-round team with a balanced bowling attack.

"I don't think they would rely only on spinners because now they have a good pace attack as well. But we will include two spinners for the tour," he said.

While Danish Kaneria is a certain selection, the fight for the other spinner's slot is between veteran Arshad Khan and uncapped Tahir Khan.

Uncapped duo of Faisal Athar (Hyderabad opener) and Aamir Bashir (Multan's middle-order batsman) are also strong contenders given their domestic performances.

On Shoaib Akhtar, who has been charged of violating his contract on four accounts, Bari said, "the green signal will have to come from the Board on Shoaib Akhtar."

The Pakistan Cricket Board recently staged a four-dayer at Lahore and plans to have another one-dayer at the Gaddafi Stadium on February 17 but Bari insisted that these should not be viewed as trial matches.

"These are routine matches in which the youngsters and domestic performers have been provided with an opportunity to play with the best," he said.

chinaman
February 12, 2005, 05:18 PM
Merged all new threads related to the series.

Please always try to post links to the news. Thank you.

Navarene
February 12, 2005, 08:58 PM
The "Mughal" Inzi on a run to conquer India?
http://img74.exs.cx/img74/3230/inzi1.jpg

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 2:01 AM GMT, by Navarene.

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 2:02 AM GMT, by Navarene.

reverse_swing
February 12, 2005, 09:13 PM
In fact this pic is for a television commercial to publicise a forthcoming cricket series against India and Inzi is in Kolkata to take part in shooting for this tele ad.

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 2:19 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.

Rubayed
February 13, 2005, 02:54 AM
I disagree with Dj Sahastra on his remark about Shoib not being the same after getting hit for that six by sachin. He has never been a consistent performer and he still isnt. I dont c much of a change in his career from b4 or after that six. Yuor observation sounded biased to me. Please dont compare him with Chetan Sharma and please dont compare the six of Miandad with the one of Sachin. Think about the circumstances on which the 2 sixes were hit?

gladiator
February 13, 2005, 12:38 PM
That six off tendulker doesnt even come close to Afridis doubles sixes off pathan.
What miadad did, has neven been done before. Last ball and u need 4 to win. The only thing that makes it so great is the tremendous pressure, it must have been. And still it went for six.

and what tendulkers six, only indians keep reminding ppl of that. who cares if tendulkar has finally hit a six off shoaib. Mcgrath is a better bowler then shoaib and has constently hit mcgrath for sixes. They count a lot more.

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 5:39 PM GMT, by gladiator.

DJ Sahastra
February 13, 2005, 01:08 PM
Rubayed,

I stand by what i said. Prior to that world cup match, Shoiab was a perennial tormentor with the sole startegy against him being to see off his 10 overs and try to keep wickets against him. There seemed to be insecurity among Indian batsman facing him. He returned with figures of around 30 runs and 2/3 wickets on average.

Post that match, Indian batsman have treated Shoaib rather contemptously. No doubt Shoib is an extra-ordinary talent - i am not debating that aspect. I was merely mentioning how India-Pak matches changes a players profile and personality. Shoiab may still take wickets consistently. But he is far from any threat or fear factor. The aura is gone.

Miandad's Six was an exception yes. But if it's unique, it's only because international matches seldom come to that stage where a 4 is needed of the last ball. I am sure you'll see more last-ball six finishes if matches were allowed to go that path. No taking any credit from Miandad, but just to put it in proper perspective. Six off the last ball is utterly doable - it's just that matches don't come to that usually.

The other interesting apect of Shoaib-Tendulkar dual was the fact that Shoiab had proclaimed in media prior to the match as to how he is going to "target Sachin". On one blistering counter-punch, Sachin not only let his bat respond but also heaped the indignation of Shoaib being taken off after one-over. Waqar revealed in an interview that Shoaib was so shaken, he actually asked to be taken off.

Just one six or one over yielding 18 runs often doesn't matter and happens too often in ODIs. The manner in which they happen at times is what makes all the difference and impact.

I am not comparing Chetan Sharma with Shoiab or Sachin's six with Miandad's six. I was merely mentioning the outlook changing impacts they had.

Gladiator,

Afridi's two sixes of Pathan, i neither remember nor care. It will still go as one of those tonnes of sixes that every cricketer hits without any livid or special memory. The sixes by Afridi DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE to that one six by Sachin. It was a defining moment. I was seeing the match live and i knew the psychological impact that one over had, not only on that match bit also the India-Pakistan series played later.

tiger_man
February 14, 2005, 02:40 AM
wats inzamam doing wearing that mughal time war costume and running around??

AsifTheManRahman
February 14, 2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by tiger_man

porle khobor ase :D

Fazal
February 14, 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by tiger_man

Trying to ignite fire out of ice. The Pak cricket board is preparing him to be more animated and engaging captain in the field.

You will see a completely different Inzzy in this series.

al
February 14, 2005, 01:16 PM
Aha!! Multan's Prince is in the move. Waiting to see some good cricket from sides. Can Inzy show his caliber by scoring runs this time around?

AsifTheManRahman
February 14, 2005, 01:17 PM
jemne dour dise jekono shomoy asar khaya poira daat bhangbo

chyicarus
February 14, 2005, 01:36 PM
Do you know if Banglacricket will host any future cricketing events the way we did the BD vs. Zim series? Either audio or video?
I was thinking about the Ind-Pak series- i would be interested even if we get Audio through Paltalk or Yahoo.
About Shoaib getting hit for a six by Sachin and bringing downfall to his career- hey, why not the other way around? Maybe Sachin injured his elbow while trying to hit that six?
Shoaib isn't even close to the top 5 best bowlers Pakistan had. Cricket is not about power and fear and brute force. 70% of cricket is mental; Shoaib definitely lacks in that department. Also he's came to the squad in a very bad time- when Waqar and Wasim has retired so a lot of pressure is on him and he can't deal with that- as a result all these injuries and off-field controversies!
Sachin is the greatest batsman after Don Bradman- but the sad thing is that, he doesn't have the effect that Lara has on his team and Test win performances! I'm no Sachin basher, i think he's the best- but if i were to choose a batsman in my team, i'd rather go for Lara, Inzi or Ponting for that matter!

DJ Sahastra
February 14, 2005, 02:17 PM
Chyicarus,

The thrust of my post was not on the downfall of the career, but on the kind of impact certain events have had.

Even after the last ball six by Miandad, Chetan Sharma played for many years, and even had a glorious hat-trick in World-Cup (87 - All Clean Bowled). He had a match-winning century to his name too - against England and coming as a pinch-hitter. My point was definitely not about players downfall but on impact of the events.

The impact of that Sachin onslaught and India's win in that match was the MOST SIGNIFICANT in Pakistan's history. Wasim Akram, a legend, was dropped unceremoniously. Till day, he is bitter that he didn't even get to play his farewell game. Waqar, no lessa legend himself, not only lost his captaincy, but also his place in the team. Saeed Anwar was chucked out and so was Inzamam. Inzamam owes much of the credit for his returns to the test-arena to bangladesh.

That is what i mean by impact. Some events have impact more than the others.

As for who you choose in your team over whom, it's your personal choice and i have absolutely no qualms about it.

Fazal
February 14, 2005, 04:20 PM
"<b>India will spin roll Pakistan on their turning tracks</b> because they play with three regular spinners, with Virendar Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar as two added tweakers and have the habit of finishing a Test in three days.Pakistan's kitty is empty with just one spinner in Danish Kaneria, the other two spinners they have were reported for illegal action and if they go without Shoaib Akhtar it would be a 3-0 win for India." -- Sarfraz (http://www.dawn.com/2005/02/14/spt1.htm)

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 9:21 PM GMT, by Fazal.

AsifTheManRahman
February 14, 2005, 04:23 PM
i dont think the pakistanis are so vulnerable to spin.

Fazal
February 14, 2005, 04:24 PM
<b>About Inzzy appearing in an Indian advertisement </b>
"Our captain doesn't act on the field and is acting in Indian advertisement which is a mockery of the preparation and no one is bothered what they are doing."
--Sarfraz (http://www.dawn.com/2005/02/14/spt1.htm)

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 9:24 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Fazal
February 14, 2005, 04:26 PM
<b>India have their own problem with fitness</b>

"In less than a fortnight Inzamamul Haq & Co will be here and news is not very good on Indian fast-bowling front. Two of India's young fast bowlers - Irfan Pathan and L Balaji - are still struggling to recover from injury lay-offs."
Dawn (http://www.dawn.com/2005/02/14/spt4.htm)

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 9:29 PM GMT, by Fazal.

DJ Sahastra
February 14, 2005, 05:56 PM
Sarfraz is playing it cool :lol:

The two teams are more than evenly balanced and i can't assume any superiority on the part of the home side.

One session is enough to take the game away either way.

And yes, Pakistanis are not so vulnerable to spin.

P.S: I like Inzy's Avatar :lol:

Fazal
February 18, 2005, 02:54 PM
<b>Yousuf Youhana: </b>

"On the forthcoming series, Youhana felt India were favourites because they had a balanced, experienced and a mature team.
If you compare player-to-player, you will find that India has a very experienced team. And naturally recent victories have given them more confidence and self-belief."

Learn bashar Learn!
Learn Ash Learn!