PDA

View Full Version : Could use PHPBB, a better forum software

Dawah
February 16, 2005, 03:29 PM
I think PHPBB is a much better option for this type of discussion forums. see www.phpbb.com.

Also, see my website www.rawcs.com, its based on phpbb and a counter-strike gaming website.

Spitfire_x86
February 16, 2005, 03:54 PM
XMB isn't bad either, at least it loads fast with slow connections

Dawah
February 16, 2005, 04:05 PM
yeah but XMB looks horrible. Simple phpbb loads as fast as this XMB.

Spitfire_x86
February 17, 2005, 10:05 PM
I'm using MacOSX theme, which doesn't look bad

Nasif
February 17, 2005, 10:36 PM
Looks are secondary. Primary goal is to run the forum smoothly. We have customized XMB a lot and we have no plans of installing or moving to any other forum software.

Dawah
February 18, 2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by nasif
Looks are secondary. Primary goal is to run the forum smoothly. We have customized XMB a lot and we have no plans of installing or moving to any other forum software.

Very well. Lets stay in stone age :bravo:

Feature by feature comparison, PHPBB is much modern and higher quality.

Nasif
February 18, 2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
Very well. Lets stay in stone age :bravo:

Feature by feature comparison, PHPBB is much modern and higher quality.

bhai tabligh:
You haven't noted what I said. We have "customized" the original XMB a lot. Lots of custom codes running with your every click. Which means if we upgrade to anything, we will have to customize that one also. That will take forever and there is no reason to go for that route.

Dawah
February 18, 2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by nasif
bhai tabligh:
You haven't noted what I said. We have "customized" the original XMB a lot. Lots of custom codes running with your every click. Which means if we upgrade to anything, we will have to customize that one also. That will take forever and there is no reason to go for that route.

Bhai nasif,

I understand you guys put on a LOT of work to this.
Cos I remember XMB even worse than this. Great work here as far as XMB goes :great:

But, Asif bhai, banglacricket.com is going to get popular inshaAllah, ppl from many parts of the world will visit this site inshaAllah, BUT, this forum is not up to the world class standard discussion board :(

Not the content/topics, its just the way XMB is, very old fashioned forum.

I have been maintaining my gaming website for over 7 years now. See my website. I have worked with XMB, Invesion board, PHPBB, vbulletin. But, at the end, I returned to PHPBB simply because its such an awesome project !
VBulletin is $160.00, with same features, phpbb is free. My site feature by feature matches Vbulletin (excluding some useless business related stuff).

Modding PHPBB is not hard at all simply becase they now have automated patching capability! Did you know that?

Or, you can just get the pre-patch phpbb portal like the one I have, for free and no work needed.

Here is my humble suggestion, please, download the fully moded phpbb, install it, work with it, admins only... and see what you feel.

Ask me, I will provide you all the links you need.

Why do I care?
--- cos I love you guys and the great work you have done to support Bangladesh Cricket.

Nasif
February 18, 2005, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions tabligh. Really appreciate it.

oh, by the way, my name is Nasif :)

Edited on, February 18, 2005, 8:14 AM GMT, by nasif.

bdmoderator
February 18, 2005, 07:48 AM
XMB Forum is good. But I use Invision Power Forum at my site. You can visit it to http://www.bdcricketfans.com

Dawah
February 18, 2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by bdmoderator
XMB Forum is good. But I use Invision Power Forum at my site. You can visit it to http://www.bdcricketfans.com

Invision Power Forum is complicated and lack a lot of modding capability. And now you will have to Pay to own a Invision Power Forum :down: when you can get much more from phpbb. If you have to pay for a forum, vbulletin is the one to go with.

Zunaid
February 18, 2005, 11:49 AM
I have used both XMB and phpBB - un modded, don't have the time to customize. I like features of both but am currently leaning towards phpbb that I use at Virtual Bangladesh:

http://www.virtualbangladesh.com/forum/

AsifTheManRahman
February 18, 2005, 01:42 PM
thought this might be slightly relevant/interesting/or not relevant at all

<a href = "http://dna88.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785">link</a>

Spitfire_x86
February 18, 2005, 02:34 PM
I love the layout of Tom's Hardware Guide Community (community.tomshardware.com). I consider it as my den among all the forums I'm registered at.

It's very bland, with very few features. But all of us love it. It was the first forum for me. I became familiar with BB code very quickly, since there was no GUI to apply BB code. Primitive things does have advantage.

Edited on, February 18, 2005, 7:36 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

Dawah
February 18, 2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
thought this might be slightly relevant/interesting/or not relevant at all

<a href = "http://dna88.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785">link</a>

Hacker hacked the server that was hosting phpbb website.
I will take a wild guess, who could these hackers be? Some one who is too jealous of the success of this great project?

No matter what the goal of the hackers are, PHPBB will move on. It's a :great: project , have my 100% support.
PHPBB user since 1998!

AsifTheManRahman
February 18, 2005, 03:50 PM
i know who did this. it was nasif. he got jealous that he wasn't being able to use it for this forum.

to the fbi and clia (those who watched meet the fockers should know what this is - or did i spell it wrong?): i'm just kidding so relax.

Edited on, February 18, 2005, 8:51 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Nasif
February 18, 2005, 03:52 PM
I am jealous of PHPBB :mad:

:P

bourny3
February 18, 2005, 11:57 PM
dawah.tabligh i am fine with the way BC looks at the moment.

bdmoderator
February 20, 2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
Originally posted by bdmoderator

Invision Power Forum is complicated and lack a lot of modding capability. And now you will have to Pay to own a Invision Power Forum :down: when you can get much more from phpbb. If you have to pay for a forum, vbulletin is the one to go with.

The Invision Power Forum is not too bad as you are telling. It's also fast. Have good modding capability. Actually modding capability depends on your forum host. Actually all forums has different advantages and disadvantages. You can't tell which one is the best.

Mahmood
February 20, 2005, 02:51 AM
I find comparison between, vbulletin, phpBB, xmb, invisionboard childish. Each of these has been around for a while now, has great programmers working on them constantly and making them top of the line. Even if one of them has a problem, the fix is just around the corner, always.

Use any of them and you will be fine. BC happens to have the staff experienced with XMB, thus will stick with it, unless the project gets shut down or we face a server incompatibility our staff can't fix.

I don't really see that happening.

Edited on, February 20, 2005, 7:51 AM GMT, by Rajputro.

Huda
February 21, 2005, 08:14 AM
agreed raj, they all different in their own right, and which ever BC staff feel comfortable, most suited, they should use and if it is XMB then so be it, we should keep on continuin to use it.