PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Asian Cricket League


LateCut
February 17, 2005, 11:23 PM
In USA, NHL (national Hockey League) and NBA (National Basketball Association) span a international boundary. Granted these leagues are active only in two countries (USA and Canada) but it demonstrates the feasibility of belonging to a single league yet playing in different countries. There are similar but not quite the same examples in soccer also. Let me stress that this does not compromise the eligibly of the players to represent their own countries. Many of the NBA players represented and continue to represent their homeland in international competitions such as Olympics and World Cup. Now these foreign NBA players giving the lessons back to USA teams in international arena (most recently in Olympics)!

Why can this idea be extended to cricket? Wouldn't be nice to have a Southeast Asian Cricket League where teams from Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan participate for a brief season each year. This will enable cricketers to play in different types of pitches and against best of the sub-continental talent.

What do you think of the idea?

Sham
February 17, 2005, 11:27 PM
You mean a South Asian cricket league! Southeast Asia refers to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore... you get the picture! Sorry for being a dork!

Beamer
February 17, 2005, 11:35 PM
You missed Brunei and Myanmar...

Sham
February 17, 2005, 11:39 PM
I missed some others as well! Got tired of typing and decided to end it with some dots!

Edited on, February 18, 2005, 4:40 AM GMT, by Sham.

Beamer
February 17, 2005, 11:43 PM
I am not sure what Phillipines fall under. Far east? like the Koreas and Japan? Also, Indonesia? not sure...ah anyway..

couger
February 18, 2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Sham
You mean a South Asian cricket league! Southeast Asia refers to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore... you get the picture! Sorry for being a dork!

Guys...he meant South Asia.

couger
February 18, 2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by LateCut
In USA, NHL (national Hockey League) and NBA (National Basketball Association) span a international boundary. Granted these leagues are active only in two countries (USA and Canada) but it demonstrates the feasibility of belonging to a single league yet playing in different countries. There are similar but not quite the same examples in soccer also. Let me stress that this does not compromise the eligibly of the players to represent their own countries. Many of the NBA players represented and continue to represent their homeland in international competitions such as Olympics and World Cup. Now these foreign NBA players giving the lessons back to USA teams in international arena (most recently in Olympics)!

Why can this idea be extended to cricket? Wouldn't be nice to have a Southeast Asian Cricket League where teams from Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan participate for a brief season each year. This will enable cricketers to play in different types of pitches and against best of the sub-continental talent.

What do you think of the idea?

Different type of league alltogether. For allmost all NBA and NHL players this is the only thing they do. World Cup or Olimpics take place only once every 4 years. So that is ancillery.

Professional cricket players play around the world and all the time, I mean they don't have an off-seasom like professional athletes in th USA have.

One could still vision such a league but all the top players would miss out.

Sham
February 18, 2005, 02:26 AM
I know! Hence the line 'you mean South Asia' and the apology at the end!

aosaif
February 18, 2005, 02:56 AM
It would be cool to have a champions league (soccer fans know about it) equivalent for south asian cricket.

couger
February 19, 2005, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Sham
I know! Hence the line 'you mean South Asia' and the apology at the end!

Oh...must've overshot your post....OK.

LateCut
February 19, 2005, 09:50 AM
Ok. OI got it wrong. Go ahead beat it to death. I asked for it. I mean South Asia. Although, Malaysia could be considered in the league.

billah
February 19, 2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Beamer
I am not sure what Phillipines fall under. Far east? like the Koreas and Japan? Also, Indonesia? not sure...ah anyway..

Phillipines - the poorest nation in the Pacific Rim. (?)

Sham
February 20, 2005, 12:34 AM
Don't get offended. We were just being dorky!