PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, Andrew Miller

chinaman
March 11, 2005, 01:20 PM
"So it is strangely heartening to learn that the Zimbabweans are capable of kicking poor defenceless animals when they are down. If only the South Africans could have been similarly cruel today. Sometimes, the only right thing is to put such creatures out of their misery."

Cricinfo: Putting them out of their misery >> (http://plus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/MAR/203593_RSAZIM2004-05_11MAR2005.html)

Ouch, ouch!

What looks misery to one, could be the perfect bravery to another.

Some cricket journalists are known to be cruel to the poor defenceless teams. Then again, they can always claim credit for improvement due to their relentless shooting. May be they are true believers of beating and not of loving that improves a child's grade.

babubangla
March 11, 2005, 01:40 PM
It''s just a disrespectful comment.
I would also balme the South African's to make fun of this match by putting their physio onto the field in a test macth. They are equally responsible for disrespecting the ZIM team.

You may be powerful enough to destroy a team, but don't have the right to disrecpect them.

AsifTheManRahman
March 11, 2005, 01:45 PM
i think putting the physio on the field was going a bit too far. cricket's biggest disgrace imo.

akabir77
March 11, 2005, 01:52 PM
I guess they found their [edit]

Edited on, March 11, 2005, 7:01 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: uhuh, that's a little too far..

mwrkhan
March 11, 2005, 07:01 PM
Our emotions are misplaced. We are obsessed by how others treat us and whether journalists are "respectful" or not. It seems as if we are satisfied by words of praise regardless of how the team is performing. When BD loses within three days or the last pair of India makes a century stand in a test match seems not to affect us, if we get a few words of praise in the foreign media we are over the moon! Anything else is unworthy or disrespectful!!!

Regarding the physio on the field, the laws of cricket allow anybody on the field as long as they do not bowl or bat and merely field for a team. In a tour of India by New Zealand many years ago, due to injury crisis a member of the touring media party fielded. This has nothing to do with respect or disrespect. If the 12th man is fielding and there is another injury, that player can be replaced by anybody with the agreement of the captains.

Andrewwisden
March 12, 2005, 07:31 AM
Amid all this talk about "respect", let's just remember that the game and its 127 years of history have to be respected first and foremost, or else the whole point is lost. No individual is bigger than the game, and that includes the groups of individuals who make up the teams.

What irritated me yesterday wasn't the physio on the field and certainly not the fact that Zimbabwe battled back. It was more the contrast between the first Test, when South Africa in my opinion did everything right and treated a very poor team with the same ruthlessness that they would have shown against England or Australia, and yesterday's farce, when AB de Villiers plonked his way through a horrible spell, Jacques Rudolph dropped the easiest chance in history, and we sat through it all thinking: "what is the point?"

Streak is good enough to score Test centuries without being handed them on a plate. It was a very very disappointing sight, and only partially mitigated by injury problems.

oracle
March 12, 2005, 07:47 AM
Amid all this talk about "respect", let's just remember that the game and its 127 years of history have to be respected first and foremost, or else the whole point is lost. No individual is bigger than the game, and that includes the groups of individuals who make up the teams.

Are there varying interpretations of respect or do we all agree on the same thing when we say respect? It's a game. If one side decides to hang the towel on a certain day-so be it. If the other bunch of blokes fight like hell-so be it.
In my opinion - history is academic; who is playing is academic too, but if the public are pissed that they lost out on an interesting match then i have a problem. This is a paid event and the onus is on the players to respect that.
As such, if the South Africans were not there that day then they have some explaining to do.The bottom line is that if the majority of spectators enjoyed it then all else does'nt matter-not even history.:)

shujan
March 12, 2005, 07:54 AM
I agree with Wisden it is disappointing cricket. Having said that I think all the Zimbabwe hoopla will turn out to be good for Zimbabwe cricket. Zimbabwe selectors now know that without the rebels Zimbabwe cricket is not going to work. Rebels are coming back which will take Zimbabwe to the previous standard at least. Because of rebels withdrawal Zimbabwe took chance with newer player. Some of the young players played well. Combination of new players and rebel players will make Zimbabwe stronger. It is going to take a little time for the whole tam to come together. We may see a better Zimbabwe team at the end!

Cric_Obsessed_Dr.
March 12, 2005, 09:58 AM
I found cricket through my ancestors. Cricket has a very special place in my heart. I respect it more for what it has given its fans like me. I live in the States, and not surprisingly when I look closely to my surroundings, I have to be puzzled as no one knows what all this fuss about cricket is. The difference lies not in their ignorance, but on top of the matter that cricket has been stashed in the boundaries of a few nations very carefully.

I have seen how cricket can bring joy to peoples’ lives. But, sadly enough the caretakers of the game are not ready to share this joy with anyone else who reside out of this rigid boundary. Anyone who cares to step inside, instead of pulling them in, they do the opposite. It’s a curse that 127 years gone by for cricket, and not 127 countries had a clue.

I wonder when we will have the attitude to share cricket with the rest of the world. It reminds me of the famous Martin Luther king’s address in 1963, “I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood”.

As far as my understanding goes, a sport should be what it is intended for. It would be really insulting to the game itself if we keep decorating cricket in the museums of those certain nations as a historical piece.

What a waste of such a game!!!

Andrewwisden
March 12, 2005, 01:01 PM
beautifully put, Dr. And I witnessed personally the joy that cricket provides when I was in Bangladesh, which is why I am a big fan of their development.

The massive difference between that tour and this game, however, is that absolutely no-one cared. There was no crowd, the Zimbabwe team is destitute, and worse of all, the South Africans did even have the decency to treat the match with dignity.

I'm happy to see that the Zimbabweans fought back on their own merit today. But that doesn't change the fact that yesterday's performance was a charade

bourny3
March 12, 2005, 07:54 PM
yeah that is a harsh piece of writing,

Pundit
March 12, 2005, 08:00 PM
Where is the sense of "respect" for all players merely for the sake of representing their country ? Isn't that what cricket, or every sport, is about ? I am sure cricket has had more embarrasments in its such and such history outside of that strictly associated with Zimbabwe- like for example aparthield and SA, Packer and the World Series...

Some people just cannot except Mugabe and Co. & would rather have their versions of Ian Smith running the cricket affairs in Zimbabwe. Its about time they left the country to their people - the sun has set, and that too, lng long ago.

Edited on, March 13, 2005, 1:01 AM GMT, by Pundit.

couger
March 17, 2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by babubangla
It''s just a disrespectful comment.
I would also balme the South African's to make fun of this match by putting their physio onto the field in a test macth. They are equally responsible for disrespecting the ZIM team.

Right, very unprofessional. I didn't expect this from the South Africans.

couger
March 17, 2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
i think putting the physio on the field was going a bit too far. cricket's biggest disgrace imo.

ICC should look into it and perhaps fine the entire SA team. This is as bad a misconduct as anything on the field.