PDA

View Full Version : Coming Eng Tour: Off the field battle

fwullah
March 18, 2005, 11:50 AM
Mark Nicholas, a renouned English commentator has said this:

Neither Zimbabwe nor Bangladesh would cut it against an average state or county team.

I'm not sure if this has been published earlier on this forum, but I'm posting it anyway, just to let you know that we have to do our own battle off the cricket field.

I'd say that it'd be good to watch (or listen) how Atahar Ali Khan manages to do in this battle of commentators.

Cricket's great divide (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/12/23/scnich23.xml&sSheet=/sport/2004/12/23/ixcrick.html)

AsifTheManRahman
March 18, 2005, 11:54 AM
bangladesh did beat yorkshire in an OD before the 99 world cup.

the way i look at it is that the players shouldn't bring any unwanted pressure upon themselves by reading or listening too much into what the media has to say. they should just go out there and give it all they have. if they fail - oh well, ki r kora jabe.

fwullah
March 18, 2005, 11:58 AM
And here is the forum (another forum - Bangladesh section) from where I got the above Mark Nicholas link. And also, some of non-Bangladeshi's reaction to what Mark Nicholas said:

Against the Mark Nicholas article (http://world-a-team.com/showthread.php?t=1893&highlight=Mark+Nicholas)

P.S. Hello bdmoderator & Hasib - I just bumped into that forum just now.

AsifTheManRahman
March 18, 2005, 12:01 PM
The International Cricket Council have done untold damage by allowing Zimbabwe and Bangladesh Test-match status. Their presence lowers standards and diminishes an already fragile product. Test-match performances have been cheapened and do a disservice to those who have gone before. True, there have been other eras when series have been uneven but never to this extent.

hmmmm....

the thing is i find this article pretty balanced in that it bashes <b>everyone</b> except australia. i really don't care what the guy says about bangladesh since he's also saying nasty stuff about other nations, which indicates that this is a more generic article than a mere example of willful minnow bashing.

Edited on, March 18, 2005, 5:15 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

RazabQ
March 18, 2005, 03:44 PM
as long as humanity has existed, there have been people who have droned on about the present sucking, and past being great and wonderful. If Nicholas was 20 years older, he'd say, these Aussies can't hold a candle to Lillee, Thommo, Chappel, et al. He'd say Viv and Lloyd were no comparison to the 3 Ws. That Sri Lanka is sullying the standards of Test cricket. You get my drift ... Sod him I say, and his likes...

Yes, I've stopped caring about what whiney glass-half-emptiers have to say about us.

couger
March 18, 2005, 06:15 PM
I like tattoos, I've always liked them. The reason I don't have one is that I refuse to voluntarily subject myself to any pain, physical, emotional or phycological. I hope Mark Lichols is doing well in his lofty perch, I simply refuse to let myself be offended by his mindless jabberings.

Pundit
March 18, 2005, 10:41 PM
In the 80's, M Nic was supposed to captain the English A team to BD with a herd of homophobic SAfrica linked players. Ershad had them booted out even before they could land.

Since then he has been harboring this grudge. For someone who could never make it to the national team, this guy sure has a mouth that is as wide open as a seasoned %&$$$.

nasifkhan
March 18, 2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Pundit
In the 80's, M Nic was supposed to captain the English A team to BD with a herd of homophobic SAfrica linked players. Ershad had them booted out even before they could land..

Really....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

capslock
March 19, 2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Pundit
In the 80's, M Nic was supposed to captain the English A team to BD with a herd of homophobic SAfrica linked players. Ershad had them booted out even before they could land.

Since then he has been harboring this grudge. For someone who could never make it to the national team, this guy sure has a mouth that is as wide open as a seasoned %&$$$.

Ummm, what does homophobia have to do with it? Is Bangladesh known ot the outside world as the San Fransisco of South Asia? (Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!)

Bangla Mostan
March 19, 2005, 05:45 PM
Desh lost to some of the teams and then beat Essex i think before playing so far their best world cup campaign..so lets see if they have improved 6 years later..

islam
March 21, 2005, 04:07 AM
We allways beat the county teams, the counties don't care about playing Bd, zim or whatever...

But we wont win or get close to winning a proper game on that tour-
If we play a 20-20 match, it will be a farse...

fy288
March 21, 2005, 09:13 AM
i think i remember him saying that comment, but as i recall he said that when BD were being humilated by the other teams, that was when we kept being beaten within 3 days and by an innings, those days are behind for BD team now and some UK commentators and journalists will have to eat large slices of humble pie, coz this BD has grown up alot since those days and the tigers have got stripes and have lost their baby teeths!!!

note: teeth not that sharp yet for BD tigers, but they are growing!!!

Cant wait for series to begin and for BD to show what they are made of.

:flag:

israr
March 21, 2005, 02:06 PM
:E