PDA

View Full Version : Asian Flavour

rockpundit
March 19, 2005, 04:32 PM
There is no denying the fact that each and every single country plays a different form of cricket. The attitude they bring to the game along with technique and mindset is unique to each team. This difference is even more obvious between Asian teams and the teams from the rest of the world. It has been a sad fact that teams from asia compromise efficiency for flair and grace, the wristy shots that asian players are so used to may look good on television but introduces a great deal of risk also. It has been a usual occurrence to see an asian cricketer blow away the opponents with an array of breathtaking shots and give it all away by trying to leg-glance a ball from outside off-stump and end up spooning a catch to a close-in fielder. There is a lot that we can learn from the juggernauts of international cricket, namely Australia. Their approach to cricket is simple and intense, hardly ever will you ever see an Aussie play a wristy stroke. Their rules to batting are to play straight as much as possible, to hit as hard as possible and to play as aggressively as possible. There is a page that us Bangladeshis can take from the great book of Aussie cricket and that is to keep it simple and outright intense.

chyicarus
March 19, 2005, 05:19 PM
I don't know how much you follow Austrilian's batting technique- but i'd suggest some batsmen, you may wanna take a closer look at them for their wrist action(some are former players)
1. Mark Waugh
2. Ricky Ponting
3. Damien Martyn
4. Darren Lehmann
5. Adam Gilchrist
6. Michael Clark
7. Michael Bevan
8. Dean Jones
etc.
These players are known to have strong wrist actions while batting. Now don't quote me on this but i've heard commentaries throughout late 80's through late nineties and even today who said the exact same thing.

rockpundit
March 20, 2005, 12:36 AM
The players that you have mentioned above have strong wrist action when it comes to play grounded shots to the leg side or maybe the occasional cover drive, which can be expected. What I am talking about is needless innovation with wristy shots which players like Azharuddin were so used to.
Among the players that you have mentioned above, I would only agree that Mark Waugh comes under the wristy category.

couger
March 20, 2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by chyicarus
I don't know how much you follow Austrilian's batting technique- but i'd suggest some batsmen, you may wanna take a closer look at them for their wrist action(some are former players)
1. Mark Waugh
2. Ricky Ponting
3. Damien Martyn
4. Darren Lehmann
5. Adam Gilchrist
6. Michael Clark
7. Michael Bevan
8. Dean Jones
etc.
These players are known to have strong wrist actions while batting. Now don't quote me on this but i've heard commentaries throughout late 80's through late nineties and even today who said the exact same thing.

Adam Gilchrist wristy? No way. You can't include Ponting or Lehman in this catagory either.

mwrkhan
March 20, 2005, 12:55 AM
Mark Waugh and Dean Jones would play the occasional wristy shot, not most of the others.

islam
March 21, 2005, 04:05 AM
The WI players in their hay day were better wristy players than most of the current sub continantial players (except-dravid and tendulkar of course and maybe laxman/aloo when they are on form)