PDA

View Full Version : Shastri shocks Bangladeshis

reverse_swing
March 20, 2005, 02:40 PM
Sports Reporter

During the keenly watched last day's play of the second Test between India and Pakistan in Kolkata yesterday, some remarks of former Indian cricketer Ravi Shastri, who was commentating for TEN Sports, infuriated Bangladeshi cricket fans who were watching the proceedings on TV.

A number of incensed callers rang The Daily Star's office to express their dismay at Shastri's apparent lack of commonsense and decency after he first mistook a Bangladesh flag for a Pakistani one. Although he instantly corrected his slip, the experienced commentator then made a brash remark about a couple of Bangladeshi fans who were watching the game from the stands of the Eden Gardens.

The episode unfolded during the post-lunch session when the television camera zoomed in on two Bangladeshis holding their red and green colours. Shastri's immediate reaction was: "Look, two spectators holding a Pakistani flag. I beg your pardon, it is a Bangladesh flag.

"What the hell are they doing out there? Maybe (they are) supporting Pakistan."

The Bangladeshi and Pakistani flags are so different that Shastri's 'mistake' can only be interpreted as sheer indifference that borders on arrogance, which is unbecoming of a TV personality like him. His observation about the possible allegiance of the Bangladeshi fans was also devoid of minimum sensitivity and respect towards a sovereign nation.

Shastri's words have sparked heated reaction in the local media, the sports community and among the general public.

"How could he guess that those two spectators were supporting Pakistan? Does he think Bangladesh is still a part of Pakistan? I think he has deliberately insulted Bangla-desh," said Captain Helal a former Bangladesh Navy officer.

Many others like him have condemned Shastri's comments and demanded a public apology from him.
-Dailystar

nasifkhan
March 20, 2005, 03:09 PM
Ei betar matha fatano dorkar....
Betar shahosh koto....

he must apologies..or else khobor ase....

Faceoff
March 20, 2005, 03:40 PM
I think it was an honest misake on shasris part on our flag and as far as calling them paki fans how can you blame him. majority of bangladeshis still support pakistan in pak vs ind match.

cricketboy
March 20, 2005, 03:44 PM
Pathetic! Many Indians think Bangladeshis support Pakistan bacuse of religion but it is not true. There are many many people who support India.
Although useless but there is nothing wrong carrying a Bangladesh flag during a match not involving Bangladesh. Ravi Shashtri should get a "gonodholai from Bangladesh fans"

:fanflag:

AsifTheManRahman
March 20, 2005, 03:55 PM
support for india and pakistan in bangladesh is more or less equal (50/50)...i wonder why he would assume that they were supporting pakistan, unless he was thinking about the political and/or religious backgrounds of the nations.

"What the hell are they doing there" - oooooohhh....since when were indo-pak matches for indo's and paki's only? besides, they paid for their tickets, so ravi has no business wondering what they were doing there. isn't it obvious what they were doing? watching cricket? hmm...i find a big similarity between this comment and the ones made by gough a couple of days ago on cricinfo :lol:

Edited on, March 20, 2005, 8:55 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Navarene
March 20, 2005, 04:39 PM
I was also watching it live when the two guys were shown on tv with a bangladeshi flag. I was so overwhelmed and excited to see our flag and ended up shouting out like "see, see..there's our flag" that I missed the first part of Shasri's comment. However, I can vividly remember when he said, "What the hell are they doing out there? Maybe supporting Pakistan?".

I was surprised, dumbfounded and shocked about what I just heard from a responsible commentator like Shasri! At last his being double standard towards Bangladesh has unveiled and showed his real face. This kind of ugly disrespectful comment has proved how much hidden hatred this pathetic guy has had for Bangladesh in disguise of a well wisher. Shame!

RazabQ
March 20, 2005, 04:55 PM
I too was watching the match at an Indian' friend's place, and I too got excited when they showed the falg. I heard the comment and was loudly procraliming my outrage only to get a royal sledging from one of their parental generations on how BD is the country where ppl go to make records and it is unfathomable that India could lose to such "losers". Then the chorus of "match fixing" started. Murubbi dekhay I didn't talk back but it totally spoiled my evening. Kobey je we'll start winning consistently enough to shut these ppl up.

chyicarus
March 20, 2005, 04:57 PM
I am not saying i support what Shastri said- but i sometimes think that we're a nation who can't understand a humorous remark- not that this was something of that sort- but we shouldn't be so critical about these things.
We also say things about other countries that can be seen as insulting and disrespecting- but its just we need to be more tolerant.
kothaay kothaay chetey jawar kono maney hoy na!

Rubayed
March 20, 2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by faceoff
I think it was an honest misake on shasris part on our flag and as far as calling them paki fans how can you blame him. majority of bangladeshis still support pakistan in pak vs ind match.

I disagree with u, majority of Bangladeshis dont support Pakistan but its beside the point,,,the point is that he simply just cannot assume that those 2 supporters at the ground were supporting Pakistan and make a very stupid and ignorant comment like that, it was stupid!

AsifTheManRahman
March 20, 2005, 05:04 PM
see - there's a big difference between saying stuff in private among frineds and relatives, and going public with such comments. the moment it goes public it should be condemned.

people just don't seem to remember that we are a nation where there's no hatred between hindus and muslims, and religion doesn't play a role in making any sort of decision (beginning from who to hire to who to support). people also forget that we're not a paki owned state anymore.

Bat-PadTogether
March 20, 2005, 05:08 PM
Rubbish Comments by Shastri!

couger
March 20, 2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by rezwan1977

The Bangladeshi and Pakistani flags are so different that Shastri's 'mistake' can only be interpreted as sheer indifference that borders on arrogance, which is unbecoming of a TV personality like him. His observation about the possible allegiance of the Bangladeshi fans was also devoid of minimum sensitivity and respect towards a sovereign nation. [/b]

Couldn't agree with you more. I have experienced this attitude form a lot of Indians. I do not wish to point fingers at any particular nation or people but this is my experience.

couger
March 20, 2005, 06:19 PM

Honest mistake or not, this is a major blunder on Shastri's part. If we are consider ourselves part of a civilized society he must make ammends and apologize publicly and properly.

couger
March 20, 2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by razabq
I too was watching the match at an Indian' friend's place, and I too got excited when they showed the falg. I heard the comment and was loudly procraliming my outrage only to get a royal sledging from one of their parental generations on how BD is the country where ppl go to make records and it is unfathomable that India could lose to such "losers". Then the chorus of "match fixing" started. Murubbi dekhay I didn't talk back but it totally spoiled my evening. Kobey je we'll start winning consistently enough to shut these ppl up.

Razabq, I share your pain. I too have been on the receiving end a few times. But cheer up, Inshallah that day isn't far when we don't have to SAY anything to them, our boys will do that on the field.

cricketboy
March 20, 2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by chyicarus
I am not saying i support what Shastri said- but i sometimes think that we're a nation who can't understand a humorous remark- not that this was something of that sort- but we shouldn't be so critical about these things.
We also say things about other countries that can be seen as insulting and disrespecting- but its just we need to be more tolerant.
kothaay kothaay chetey jawar kono maney hoy na!

He should not have made a humor about our nation's flag and support. Thats not acceptable. He should publicly apolize. .

couger
March 20, 2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
see - there's a big difference between saying stuff in private among frineds and relatives, and going public with such comments. the moment it goes public it should be condemned.

Absolutely. When a public figure says something like this it becomes a matter of record and if he/she doesn't apologize properly it becomes part of established or percieved truth.

Faceoff
March 20, 2005, 06:29 PM
shasri may have been over board with his comments but as chyicarus said before that as a nation we should be more tolerant.

I personally dont like the pakistan cricket team and I completely disagree with the fact that there is 50-50 support for ind-pak in bd. If you have ever watched an india vs pak game in bangabondhu stadium then you will know what i m takjng abt. there are definitely more supporter for pakistan than india at bangladesh.

and say you are watching bangladesh vs srilanka in bangabondhu stadium and you see some fans with indian flag in the stands. now tell me what would you say?

I always believe actions speak louder than words. When our cricket team will start to beat india - pakistan regularly, then people like shasri will not only know our flag but will also know the meaning of red and green in the flag.

nasifkhan
March 20, 2005, 06:59 PM
shasri may have been over board with his comments but as chyicarus said before that as a nation we should be more tolerant.

I personally dont like the pakistan cricket team and I completely disagree with the fact that there is 50-50 support for ind-pak in bd. If you have ever watched an india vs pak game in bangabondhu stadium then you will know what i m takjng abt. there are definitely more supporter for pakistan than india at bangladesh.

and say you are watching bangladesh vs srilanka in bangabondhu stadium and you see some fans with indian flag in the stands. now tell me what would you say?

I always believe actions speak louder than words. When our cricket team will start to beat india - pakistan regularly, then people like shasri will not only know our flag but will also know the meaning of red and green in the flag.

Well its true that the number of Pakistani fan is very high if compared to Indian fans.....I have personally experienced this in the stadium.....

But that does mean one can say whatever comes his/her mouth.

Ato tolerent hoile always shudu erokom ghali khaben....kisu korte parben na.....

bandrami er ekta shima takhe....faizlami korar jaiga pai na.....

He cant say whatever he likes on ......Its a disgrace ..

It may happen that the words suddenly came out of his mouth....but he should apologise and make it clear.....

James90
March 20, 2005, 07:16 PM
What exactly is this about? He mixed up (deliberately or not) Bangladesh and Pakistan. Build a bridge and get over it

AsifTheManRahman
March 20, 2005, 07:48 PM
well, you have to have some idea about the history of the three nations and the general attitude of their people before understanding what it's exactly about :)

oracle
March 20, 2005, 08:22 PM
Much ado about nothing....:)

the England series is taking too long... and Shastri won't be there so what he says is not important.

Edited on, March 21, 2005, 1:23 AM GMT, by oracle.

shaoun
March 20, 2005, 10:13 PM
i just dont get what is the all this damm fuss about india and pakistan series among us bangladeshis. i dont giva damm if india wins or pakistan wins. it makes no damm difference to me. i am bangali and i support bangladesh and no one else. as far as ravi shastri goes i think it was an honest mistake. it can happen to anybody. i mean the match was between india and pakistan so he didnt expect bangladeshi flag to be there. well he made correction rightaway. so its no big deal/

couger
March 21, 2005, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by shaoun
i just dont get what is the all this damm fuss about india and pakistan series among us bangladeshis. i dont giva damm if india wins or pakistan wins. it makes no damm difference to me. i am bangali and i support bangladesh and no one else. as far as ravi shastri goes i think it was an honest mistake. it can happen to anybody. i mean the match was between india and pakistan so he didnt expect bangladeshi flag to be there. well he made correction rightaway. so its no big deal/

Its not about if one supports Pakistan or India or whoever, neither is it about who wins. It is essentially about paying proper respect to a nation or a group of people. The big deal is that such brash comments from a public figure is not just inappropriate but insulting also given the history those nations.

couger
March 21, 2005, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by oracle

the England series is taking too long... and Shastri won't be there so what he says is not important.

No oracle, its not 'much ado about nothing.' Its is simply about standing out for your country's image. For years idiots have made condescending remarks (remember Kissinger and his bottomless basket?) about us and we, like spineless jellyfish, never protested. Now it's become part of our national psyche. It may sound like some of us making much too big a deal out of this but it is my firm belief that you have to stand up for these things or they come back to bite us.

Ravi Shastri is not a no-name, fly-by-night figure is cricket, he's quite well known and his comments do carry some weight, all the more reason for us to object to it when it is insensitive and unfair to us.

fwullah
March 21, 2005, 04:18 AM
Like Shastri, I would also like to know what those 2 fans are doing in an India-Pakistan match?

Shehwar
March 21, 2005, 04:28 AM
He simply cannot ask "WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING HERE?".......get him in Dhaka and we'll let him know what they were doing there....

Red Cherry
March 21, 2005, 09:32 AM
As passionate cricket loving nation we watch cricket involving any nation. It is testimony to our love for the game. I see nothing wrong in it.

pagol-chagol
March 21, 2005, 11:11 AM
WHO CARES.

bhobishshot
March 21, 2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by couger

No oracle, its not 'much ado about nothing.' Its is simply about standing out for your country's image. For years idiots have made condescending remarks (remember Kissinger and his bottomless basket?) about us and we, like spineless jellyfish, never protested. Now it's become part of our national psyche. It may sound like some of us making much too big a deal out of this but it is my firm belief that you have to stand up for these things or they come back to bite us.

Ravi Shastri is not a no-name, fly-by-night figure is cricket, he's quite well known and his comments do carry some weight, all the more reason for us to object to it when it is insensitive and unfair to us.

Kissinger and Shastri are not the same. When Kissinger made the coment, it was like USA labeling Bangladesh as a bottom less basket. That definitel impacts Bangladesh's image abroad. On the other hand, when Shastri made his coment, it was simply unprofessional. I don't see how it damages Bangladesh's image. In fact, I think Shastri damaged the image of whoever he was representing by making a very unprofessional coment.

pagol-chagol
March 21, 2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by bhobishshot
Kissinger and Shastri are not the same. When Kissinger made the coment, it was like USA labeling Bangladesh as a bottom less basket. That definitel impacts Bangladesh's image abroad. On the other hand, when Shastri made his coment, it was simply unprofessional. I don't see how it damages Bangladesh's image. In fact, I think Shastri damaged the image of whoever he was representing by making a very unprofessional coment.

Well said Bhobishot. You summed it all up.

Edited on, March 21, 2005, 5:21 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: Please do not quote multiple posts.

DJ Sahastra
March 21, 2005, 12:03 PM
It was a goof-up; Shastri had no reasons to make a comment like that.

I am sure he'll apologize if it is brought to his notice.

nasifkhan
March 21, 2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
I am sure he'll apologize if it is brought to his notice.

naaahh.....i dont think so.....

IanW
March 21, 2005, 03:33 PM
Fwullah,

Watching the cricket ?

India-Pakistan is one of the great rivalries, and they usually play darn good games of cricket.

Ian Whitchurch

PS Ravi Shastri ? Wasnt he a country offspinner in the 1970s ? Played for Surrey ?

PPS Yeah, I know who he was. Belted Warne all over the SCG for a double ton in the kid's first test.

Beamer
March 21, 2005, 03:49 PM
I was watching early this year a VB series game between Australia - Pak, right around the time after we won our first test match against Zimbabwe. As the cameras zoomed around the cricket ground capturing the fans representing Pak and Australia, a group of Bangladeshis in the crowd holding our flag were also spotted. Ian Chappelle and Mark Taylor were in the commentary box at the time. Chappelle recognized the flag and immediately congratulated Bangladesh on winning their first ever test match which happened only a few days ago. Also, didn't hear him say anything like, "what they hell are they doing" in a match between Australia and Pakistan? Oh yeah..there were a few Brits in the crowd as well, easily spotted with their Union Jack, and their usual unfathomable words written across the flag!

akabir77
March 21, 2005, 03:59 PM

By watching a game or two in the stadium doesn't make more pak supporters then ind.....

All my life were ever i went i found more ind supporters.other than in the cricket field. So people can research on the connection between ind supp and hindi move watchers but in the cricket field i found more pak supp than ind...

Anyway i think there r more supporter of ind and pak than bd in BD, cause i have been in a situation were we had to count vote to see which game we got to watch and bd votes lost..(last WC, BD-ken and Pak-Ind).

Spitfire_x86
March 21, 2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
Like Shastri, I would also like to know what those 2 fans are doing in an India-Pakistan match?
yeah, what were they doing with our flag in a Ind-Pak match??

couger
March 21, 2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by bhobishshot
Originally posted by couger

I think I know that these two aren't the same. I wasn't suggesting that. I was merely drawing a parallel between the scenarios to prove a point. If you don't find Shastri's comments offensive then this discussion is futile.

I do agree with you that Shastri's unprofessional comments dmages his own image and those he represents. But I'm not talking about that. I am fully prepared to give him the benefit of doubt. All he has to do is apologize and everything will be a OK.

Again I emphesize that any such comment from a public figure is dameaning given Bangladesh's history. If it is said in the privacy of anyone's home then who cares.

Edited on, March 21, 2005, 10:57 PM GMT, by couger.

Fazal
March 21, 2005, 05:15 PM
Ravi Shastri sucked before (his comment) and he sucks now!

Edited on, March 21, 2005, 10:16 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Mr-khan
March 21, 2005, 05:27 PM
Asol bepar holo j Ravi akhono 25th december ar ghotona ta vulte pare nai.Bd ar flag dekhe hotat mone pore gese tai matha gorom kore felse.

Edited on, March 21, 2005, 10:27 PM GMT, by mr-khan.

gobdgo
March 22, 2005, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by rezwan1977
Sports Reporter

... ...Shastri's immediate reaction was: "Look, two spectators holding a Pakistani flag. I beg your pardon, it is a Bangladesh flag.

"What the hell are they doing out there? Maybe (they are) supporting Pakistan."

What the hell he was talking about? Ravi Shastri is a "[edit]- Pola". I beg your perdon, Ravi Sharstir baper pola. May be he was supporting "Hewards5000".

I am apoligized for fouling in the thread and I am apologized publicly.:lol:

Edited on, March 22, 2005, 3:57 PM GMT, by chinaman.