PDA

View Full Version : India vs Pak. 3rd test thread. begins March 24

al
March 22, 2005, 09:41 PM
Pakistan in India 2004-05

India announce squad for third Test
Squad for third Test Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly (capt), VVS Laxman, Dinesh Karthik, Irfan Pathan, Lakshmipathi Balaji, Harbhajan Singh, Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Yuvraj Singh.

Pakistan has not announced thier team yet

Edited on, March 23, 2005, 2:47 AM GMT, by al.

Shehwar
March 23, 2005, 02:04 AM
This Indian side is the best test side in the history of Indian cricket...on the other hand the current Pakistan side is going through a rebuilding process and is the weakest in its history!...So u know..I reckon Pakistan did awfully well to draw the first match on the first place and realistically shudn't expect to win the last test....I'll expect them to turn it on in the ODIs though..cheers...

al
March 23, 2005, 01:53 PM
FRom BBC:
Ganguly said: "This is Test cricket's most competitive rivalry. We'll obviously be going for a win."

Opener Yasir Hameed and off-spinner Arshad Khan are both likely to get their first starts of the series for Pakistan, with Taufeeq Umar and paceman Mohammad Khalil set to miss out.

India are likely to be unchanged, with off-spinner Harbhajan Singh partnering their premier slow bowler Anil Kumble despite the former's report for a suspected illegal bowling action.

Pakistan (from): Inzamam-ul-Haq (captain), Yasir Hameed, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan, Yousuf Youhana, Asim Kamal, Abdul Razzaq, Kamran Akmal, Mohammad Sami, Arshad Khan, Danish Kaneria, Taufeeq Umar, Salman Butt, Mohammad Khalil, Naved-ul-Hasan, Shoaib Malik.

Bat-PadTogether
March 23, 2005, 06:05 PM
India will thrash Pakistan within 4 days.This Paki side sucks!!

chyicarus
March 23, 2005, 06:13 PM
I think its kinda late to bring Arshad Khan into the scene in such a crucial stage. I think they should've bowled him from the 1st Test- regardless of what the pitch looked like. In both Mohali and Calcutta the pitch didn't offer any assitance to the pacers. It would've been ideal to let Arshad prepare himself and given Danesh a good break, i think he's burnt out already. It stupid to play with so many seamers. Razzaq can open the bowling with Sami or be dropped for that matter. Pakistan doesn't need a handful of all-rounders in a Test team. Taufeeq Umar is out of touch and Yasir should've been brought in much earlier or at least given a stint in the domestic matches- which reminds me. This tour they've hardly played against any practice matches!

Tintin
March 23, 2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Bat&PadTogether

Nice to see you change your opinion yet again. Please see your second to last post in this thread, and also your comment after the fourth day : http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10282#pid158228

:)

chyicarus
March 23, 2005, 06:21 PM
:great:

ha ha ha!!

:bravo:

couger
March 23, 2005, 07:36 PM
This Paki side sucks!!

That may be but India and Pakistan both find something extra withinn themselves when they're playing together. India beating Pakistan in 4 days--don't see that happening.

al
March 23, 2005, 11:50 PM
terrible start by pakistan. 7/2. y/hameed and afridi gone.

Beamer
March 24, 2005, 12:14 AM
Pak just can't seem to settle thier opening situation. Virtually every game they have a new set of openers. Yaseer Hamid now and he is gone already. They should have stuck it out with Salman Butt. He is way better than Taufeeq Umar. Umar is dropped for this match. No wonder they are always in trouble in the beginning. Too much uncertainity at the top of the order..

Fazal
March 24, 2005, 01:47 AM
Good comeback by Pakistan from close to total disaster. At lunch they are 93/2. Still its a wash.

Lest see who wins the 2nd session.

Fazal
March 24, 2005, 04:14 AM
Pakistan is 202/2 before tea. Upto this point , Pakistan is on top.

Shehwar
March 24, 2005, 05:10 AM
Pakistan 248/2 at the moment....Younis 96* and the maestro batting on a majestic 141* on his 100th test...Cheers..

reverse_swing
March 24, 2005, 06:06 AM
Highest partnership for any wicket by any team against India in India!

Edited on, March 24, 2005, 11:07 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.

Ameer
March 24, 2005, 07:18 AM

I bet you feel pretty stupid right now...

Pakistan 323-2

chyicarus
March 24, 2005, 09:26 AM
Pakistan has played really well and has a very good foundation for a big score. The problem with Pakistan is that they are so unpredictable that it can work both as their advantage and disadvantage. And in recent times its the latter.
Pakistan needs to make a score of 600+, getting another 270 in 70 overs isn't a big task especially when you have wickets in hand and have big hitter's like Yousuf and Razzaq still to come. Inzi is also enough to boost the team's score.
I hope he gets his double tomorrow. I think Pakistan should declare after playing another 60-70 odd overs tomorrow.
This team looks pretty darn good to me and i hope they can pull off a win! It has been a tough tour for them.

Akib
March 24, 2005, 10:25 AM
Pakistan may have started horribly but Inzi brings them back....

I think Pak will go on and declare around 570 (if they make it that far). THen India should start of well maybe lose one wicket.

So far India is in trouble. They will have to get Inzi or Khan out as soon as possible. Then they must make sure no body else gets a good start.

al
March 24, 2005, 01:02 PM
Big man Inzy proved everybody wrong. He is a great player. Looks like younus khan has found his form back. They still have yohana who can score big also. This match is far from over. They should reach 500 easily unless decide to throw thier wickets tomorrow

Ameer
March 24, 2005, 03:45 PM
Look at how Inzamam rose to the occasion, it was his 100th test and Pakistan needs to win this test...

Will he score a double century? Interestingly enough, the last Pakistani to score a double century was Inzamam when he scored 329 against New Zealand two years back.

Xavier
March 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
I am really surprised at this first day of third test, everybody thought that India was going to have an easy win and they started well dismissing two wickets for 7 (2.5 overs), but then Inzaman proved to be a great guidance for his team and now just needs 16 runs to get 200 (did anybody ever score 200 runs in a test played in India?).
I am anxious to see what will happen tomorrow, but now I hope Pakistan will win the test as a reckoning for the pride they have shown in this series.

chyicarus
March 24, 2005, 11:39 PM
I guess his double wasn't in the cards! I'm disappointed at him not moving his feet, although its the first ball of the day- but still for a person of so much responsibility he should know how crucial it is to not lose any wickets!

couger
March 25, 2005, 01:24 AM

How do you feel about the match now?

AsifTheManRahman
March 25, 2005, 01:31 AM
looks like all the paki batsmen have the "new-day-first-ball" syndrome :)

anyways, i think they'll get to around 550 or so and declare. mustn't take too much time for that though - they may as well end up with a draw and lose the series.

Spitfire_x86
March 25, 2005, 07:54 AM
Pakistan all out for 570 in the first innings, Younis Khan fell after scoring 267. India 55/0, at the end of day 2, Shewag 39*

This match is probably going to be a draw.

chyicarus
March 25, 2005, 09:00 AM
too early to say- i won't say anything of the outcome of the match till tea of day 4, because unless Pakistan can really make way into the indian batting tomorrow, its very close to a tame draw!

Tintin
March 25, 2005, 09:41 AM
After the first Test, Sehwag and co have been deliberately attacking Kaneria, not allowing him to settle down. It happened in both innings in Kolkata. Here again Sehwag hit a six in Kaneria's only over.

Akib
March 25, 2005, 10:22 AM
Pakistan played very well in their first innings.

:bravo: to Younis Khan for his double century and to Inzi for his century.

It looks like the post Australia trend is taking effect for Pakistan now.

Ameer
March 25, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm disappointed with India's attitude... they seem to be perfectly happy with the 1-0 result and they chose this dead pitch that will only lead to a draw. 1-0 is a win but definetely not comprehensively like everyone was expected. I see Pakistan taking great heart in this, this weak side performed better then last year's stronger side that lost 2-1.

I can't wait for the ODIs. :joy:

Rubu
March 25, 2005, 11:28 AM
six people scoring in single digit and still run is 570. this must be a record.

Akib
March 25, 2005, 11:46 AM
Its in ODI's where i think Pak has the advantage.... India are not that good in ODI's.

Tintin
March 25, 2005, 01:27 PM
I'm disappointed with India's attitude... they seem to be perfectly happy with the 1-0 result and they chose this dead pitch that will only lead to a draw.

After they won the second test, they went there with a hacksaw and killed the pitch ? The Bangalore wicket has been like this for the whole season. Or are you suggesting that India knew that they would be 1-0 up going into the last test and chose this wicket ?

Edited on, March 25, 2005, 6:29 PM GMT, by Tintin.

Navarene
March 25, 2005, 02:58 PM
The cold war between Inzamam-ul-Haq and paceman Shoaib Akhtar has come out in the open with the Pakistan captain admitting that he had opposed the inclusion of the bowler on a few occasions due to his "non-cricketing attitude".
"Yes there have been occasions when I told the selectors and the board (that) I don't want him in the team because his behaviour has a bad influence on the youngsters," the 35-year-old Pakistan captain was quoted as saying in a local daily on Friday.

This is the first time in nearly 15 months that Inzamam has admitted to his differences with Shoaib. Previously, both the parties have been vehemently denying the cold war.

Inzamam was so candid in slamming the attitude of Shoaib that he alleged that the pacer performed in one match and rested on its laurel for the next two years.

"Pick up his record of the last two years and see for yourself how many matches he has missed due to some 'fitness problem' immediately after taking wickets in a game.

"What I feel is he wants to perform in one match and rest on its laurels for the next two. He is not there when the team needs him most. I have nothing personal against him. But he lacks cricketing discipline. He wants to play on his own terms which is unacceptable to me," Inzamam said criticising the bowler.

The Pakistani captain said Shoaib was still the team's best bowler but insisted that the speedster would have to maintain a discipline whenever playing for the country since his behaviour affected the other players as well.

"I don't care what he does off the field as long as he performs for the team. I again repeat there is no doubt I would like to have him in my team as he is a match winner.

"But he has to learn to play with discipline and according to the team requirements. I tell you some of the players have been very uneasy with his level of commitment because they have seen his behaviour in recent times. So tell me what am I supposed to do," Inzamam added.

Source (http://www.htcricket.com/htcricket/7679_1294535,001600980007.htm)

Spitfire_x86
March 26, 2005, 05:25 AM
Shewag scored his DOUBLE CENTURY!!! :joy::joy::joy:

201* from 260 balls, at strike rate of 77.31, and cricinfo bulletin says that it's one of his more restrained innings.

Spitfire_x86
March 26, 2005, 05:27 AM
Shewag gone, only 2 ball after scoring his double century :(

c&b by Danish Kaneria

Navarene
March 26, 2005, 05:33 AM
Still a long way to go for India. But I have serious doubt considering the recent forms of Laxman and Ganguly.

Spitfire_x86
March 26, 2005, 05:53 AM
Danguly failed again :E

1 from 4 balls, was even dropped once in his 3rd ball.

Spitfire_x86
March 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
India 379/6 at stumps-day 3, trailing by 191 runs.

Laxman 51*, Pathan 0*

Shehwar
March 26, 2005, 07:42 AM
If Pakistan can get a lead of about 150 then they shud be able make life pretty tough for the Indian batters on the 5th day..Cheers...

chyicarus
March 26, 2005, 09:19 AM
I don't think the pitch is going to act up on the 5th day, so i'm pretty sure that this match is heading out for a draw. What'll happen is India is goign to get bowled out midday tomorrow and then Pakistan will bat for 50 odd overs and give the Indians about 370+ runs to score in 60 overs or so and the Indians will be about 250+/4 by the time they realise its a tame draw!

Akib
March 26, 2005, 10:14 AM
This match will easily be a draw. Sehwag ensured that. If Pakistan want to win they need to get India al out for less tahn 400. Then they must bat and get a lead of 400 by the start of last session.Then they must bowl well.

Ameer
March 26, 2005, 11:12 AM
What's with Pakistan giving Sehwag so many lives? He's been dropped so many times it's not even funny. Yet again he was dropped on 40 odd. Had he been out, Pakistan would have a chance of winning. Now it's just going to be a lame draw.

Akib
March 26, 2005, 11:19 AM
This is going to turn out to be a boring end to a great series.

chyicarus
March 26, 2005, 12:53 PM
Everybody knows catches win matches. So the case is same here. Pak dropped catches- they'll get a draw out of a winning position. But i also think that Pakistan has a toothless bowling attack and India's batting line-up is too strong. Pak doesn't even have the firepower. As one of the journalist noted: "Razzaq is a joke!"
Which clearly shows the level of penetration the bowlers were getting. Also think the pitch is not condusive for Test match cricket like Sehwag admitted!

Ameer
March 26, 2005, 02:15 PM
Pakistan's bowling is the weakest ever... and India could merely manage a 1-0 win... Pakistan really missed Shoaib... Sami and Razzaq are pathetic.

chyicarus
March 26, 2005, 02:20 PM
Well reading Inzi's admittale about Shoaib behavior- that is exactly what i thought of him. Inzi is correct to disallow such behavior in the team because it is full of youngsters and if celebritism gets into their heads so early in their career then their performance will drop very quickly.
Shoaib should play for the country and not for himself. His country and the game should be his priority. Thats what made him the celebrity he is today. Although Pakistan team needs him- but i think its wise to not play him unless he can curb those sort of behavior in future.

couger
March 27, 2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Ameer
I'm disappointed with India's attitude... they seem to be perfectly happy with the 1-0 result and they chose this dead pitch that will only lead to a draw. 1-0 is a win but definetely not comprehensively like everyone was expected. I see Pakistan taking great heart in this, this weak side performed better then last year's stronger side that lost 2-1.

Right. This negative attitude is really annoying.

couger
March 27, 2005, 01:05 AM
Sami and Razzaq are pathetic.

Really? Look at the scorecard now. Razzak may not have performed well but not the same case with Sami.

couger
March 27, 2005, 01:06 AM
Not much hope for this one---looking forward to the ODIs.

Shehwar
March 27, 2005, 01:43 AM
Well I for one is absolutely disgusted with the pathetic umpiring through out the series against Pakistan....one two or perhaps even three decisions can be ignored...but through out the series it has been 20-1 against Pakistan as far as crucial decisions go....
Indians are 446-9 at the moment and might save this match....not because they deserve so....but for Umpire Billy Bowden who turned down a plumb lbw against Tendulkar who was then on 4 and again this morning when the last man Kumble shud have been given lbw when the score was 417 and shud have been all out on that score...I can recall Kumble being plumb lbw(Trust me ppl it doesn't get straighter than than!) at least 4 times and not given..result: well...the last wicket goes on to bat for an hour an a half and India save the test!......I'm sorry to say this but cant help thinking that most of the Umpires have been paid a handsome amount by The Indians.....What else can i say...Pathetic...Absolutely pathetic and shameless..

Edited on, March 27, 2005, 6:46 AM GMT, by Shehwar.

al
March 27, 2005, 05:19 AM
its may be heading for a draw. if pakistan wants to take chance to win, they got to score another 100 or 150 today and declare. currently score 2nd inning s162/1. a lead of 285 runs

al
March 27, 2005, 06:45 AM
pakistan declared 261/2, taking a chance to win. India needs just 384 to win with 7 overs today and all day tomorrow, its doable unless pak can get shewag today. quiet interesting. I think, pak should have scored anotther 50 runs before decalring. lets see

Spitfire_x86
March 27, 2005, 07:00 AM
I think Pakistan declared in the right time.

India can win only if Shewag can improve his 2nd innings records. Otherwise this is probably going to be a draw, chance of Pakistan's victory isn't bad either.

Spitfire_x86
March 27, 2005, 07:06 AM
At the end of Day 4, India 25/0

They need 358 from 90 overs in the 5th day (RRR 3.98). It's doable, at least till Shewag is in the middle.

insideedge
March 27, 2005, 08:04 AM
Watch out for Gambhir. He could be the surprise packet on the last day.

Shehwar
March 27, 2005, 08:37 AM
Its a 50-50 between a Pakistan win and a draw.....I dont see India winning this...cheers...

Ameer
March 27, 2005, 09:00 AM
I want India to go for the win... please don't be satisfied with a draw and 1-0 result! And by going for the win, they will also give Pakistan a chance of winning and levelling the series.

Pakistan has dominated India in this test and they deserve to level the series.

chyicarus
March 27, 2005, 09:52 AM
The lead is perfect for the game. It keeps hopes alive. I have a feeling that if it was Ganguly he wouldn't declare until he's had a 400 run lead. he's a a very conservative/defensive minded captain.
Even if India wins, i wouldn't blame Inzi simply because he's looking to win this game and the main problem is not declaring it so early but more the case why Kumble and Laxman partnership wasn't ended at least an hour earlier than it did! That might be a crucial factor in this game, that partnership.
I have a feeling India will be six down tomorrow, but lets hope a result comes out. With Sehwag, you never know although his record in the second innings isn't as good!

Fazal
March 27, 2005, 10:17 AM
What happened to Ganguly? Is he Kaled Mahmud (when he was the captiain) of India. At least ChaCha is a all-rounder on paper.

Also when Ganguly is off the field for unofficial Cha Break, Dravid lead the team better (in that short time span).

Does that mean, if Ganguly continue to not perform as a batsman, we are about to witness the demise of Gunguly's Chapabaji?

berry berry bad.... because I am so sad....:P

Akib
March 27, 2005, 10:37 AM
Im hoping Ganguly gets out of his slump.... and Tendulkar can get a match winning century that leads India to a win.

Tintin
March 27, 2005, 01:23 PM
I guess India will bat normally till tea or an hour before, then look at the required runs and decide on the chase. We don't need to do any fancy stuff and a draw is quite enough. Sehwag, ofcourse, doesn't bat normally and if he stays past lunch, there will be a chance. Otherwise, a chase is not worth the risk.

Xavier
March 27, 2005, 04:06 PM
A couple of question to all of you with much more experience than me in following test cricket:

1. Why did Inzaman declare before ending (and not at last) of day 4?
Was he simply hopeful to take a wicket from indian batsmen before tomorrow? (if so, why leaving only six overs?)

2. Are pakistan bowlers able to dismiss all indian batsmen in last day, I see they are not at the top in ICC
Ranking (apart from Kaneria), so I don't think so.

Anyway I think that whatever will happen Pakistan players will end with the head held up high and the Indians feeling not so strong as they thought, unless tomorrow they will score at an amazing run rate of almost 4.0 all day long.

chyicarus
March 27, 2005, 04:30 PM
Inzi just gave them a bait. The required run rate is very tempting but not easy (barring Sehwag), but if you look at India's history- they're are so good chasing on the final day in a Test match. Also Sehwag has an average of less than 25 in the second Sachin's avg is still impressive but compared to his overall avr its 10 run/innings less. Only Dravid has good numbers and Ganguly has scored only 1 of his 11 Test match centuries in the second innings! So on paper is advatange Pakistan, but come Sunday only actions will speak louder than any words!

Rubayed
March 27, 2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by aka
Im hoping Ganguly gets out of his slump.... and Tendulkar can get a match winning century that leads India to a win.

Wishful thinking! Keepon hoping buddy!
All i want is a good & exciting 5th day, would hate to c a boring draw to this test!

Beamer
March 28, 2005, 12:48 AM
Did anyone notice that Ganguly slid down the order one spot in the first innings? lack of confidence right now.

Shehwar
March 28, 2005, 12:53 AM
India currently 87/1 as Bloody Bowden oh sorry! Billy Bowden continues his Mission: Saving India!....If any doubt about his shameful partiality remained he dismissed those immediately first thing in the morning denying Pakistan a wicket unbelieve\ably as a huge outside edge of Gambhir of the bowling of Razzaq was once again given not out....Inzamam obviously wasnt impressed yet again and finally lost his cool.....!......... I wonder how much Billy has been paid...must a very very handsome amount!

Beamer
March 28, 2005, 12:56 AM
run out shewag..

Fazal
March 28, 2005, 01:09 AM
Inida is already (90/1) <b>'save the test' </b> mode. I am kind of disapointed. Time to go to sleep then...

al
March 28, 2005, 01:39 AM
draw very likely. lunch now. looking forward to ODI matches. no need to miss out on sleep tonight

Edited on, March 28, 2005, 6:39 AM GMT, by al.

Shehwar
March 28, 2005, 01:44 AM
don look forward to the ODIs bro.....There will be Indian Umpires!......If they can make the neutral umpires do these; heaven knowz wot their own umpires will do !!!

couger
March 28, 2005, 01:55 AM
I expect another spineless performance from the Indians. They'll simply play for a draw.

Spitfire_x86
March 28, 2005, 02:26 AM
Please stop whining about umpirings. Both sides received bad decisions and umpires didn't make those bad decisions intentionally

al
March 28, 2005, 03:22 AM
ball is turning a lot. India playing very defensively. Score now is 127/4. Pressure is on Ganguly now.

al
March 28, 2005, 03:39 AM
India 135/5 in trouble. ganguly is out. His poor form continues

Rubayed
March 28, 2005, 04:21 AM
Its unfair to criticize the Umpires. True they've got it wrong in few ocassions but i beleive those were honest mistakes. So people who r complaining should get on with the game and anyways India is 140/5 at Tea and they could have had been 140/6 if only Asim Kamal would have held on to that catch offered by Tendulkar off Sami. This catch might prove to be a costly one!

Edited on, March 28, 2005, 9:24 AM GMT, by Rubayed.

Spitfire_x86
March 28, 2005, 05:29 AM
India 188/7, Kumble 24*, Pathan 0*

India is probably going to lose this match, unless Irfan Pathan and Anil Kumble hold Pakistan back for the remaining 18.2 overs

Tendulkar should've played his natural game.

reverse_swing
March 28, 2005, 05:39 AM
Pathan gone.

16 overs 2 Wks

Edited on, March 28, 2005, 10:40 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.

reverse_swing
March 28, 2005, 06:06 AM
210/9!!

Navarene
March 28, 2005, 06:23 AM
oh man..still 7 overs to go! They are hanging on the rope!!

reverse_swing
March 28, 2005, 06:24 AM
all out.

reverse_swing
March 28, 2005, 06:30 AM
Dada is a burden for India.

His performance so far in this series :

Run 48

Hs 21

Avg 9.6

Sultan
March 28, 2005, 06:36 AM
Pakistan won. ;)

Spitfire_x86
March 28, 2005, 06:38 AM
Tendulkar should take some batting lessons from Kumble.

Xavier
March 28, 2005, 06:44 AM
What a thrilling finale of the game and glorious victory for Pakistan!

Who is going to be man of the match, maybe Younis Kahn (267 run on first innings and two catches today)?

I think there will be a lot of argueing in the Indian team, they must be heavily disappointed for the levelling of the series!

Sultan
March 28, 2005, 06:51 AM
Younis Khan it is, Man of the Match. Shewag, Man of the Series.

A very exciting match it was.

Edited on, March 28, 2005, 11:51 AM GMT, by Sultan.

Shehwar
March 28, 2005, 07:06 AM
Inspite of the best efforts of Billy Pakistan has won it by a 168 runs..Well done Inzy!.....

Rubayed
March 28, 2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Shehwar
Inspite of the best efforts of Billy Pakistan has won it by a 168 runs..Well done Inzy!.....
U r totally out of your mind dude! Name me one decesion made by Billy Bowden today which was clearly wrong? Shewag's one was even inconclusive from the replay. Dont talk rubbish. Pakistan won it fair and square and they deserve to win this test match but please dont say that Billy Bowden was favouring India. It was one of the best test i've seen in recent times. I'm hoping for an exciting ODI series.

Shehwar
March 28, 2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Please stop whining about umpirings. Both sides received bad decisions and umpires didn't make those bad decisions intentionally

Both sides ??? Have u seen the series bro? ….Yeah sure…..both sides….its 23-2 against Pakistan..Sure ..that does make both sides..doesn’t it..?….Just ask a neutral cricket fan who has been properly observing this series and u’ll get to know which side was on the receiving end 98% of the time as far as pathetic umpiring is concerned…There is a definite difference between intentional mistakes and human errors..And I strongly believe Pakistan has been really hard done in this series and this I say even after Pakistan has won the match convincingly …I have watched every single deliveries of this series…….The umpiring has been biased….There is no doubt about it….Cheers…

Shehwar
March 28, 2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Rubayed
U r totally out of your mind dude! Name me one decesion made by Billy Bowden today which was clearly wrong? Shewag's one was even inconclusive from the replay. Dont talk rubbish. Pakistan won it fair and square and they deserve to win this test match but please dont say that Billy Bowden was favouring India. It was one of the best test i've seen in recent times. I'm hoping for an exciting ODI series.

I'm hoping for an exciting ODI series too bro....And I wasnt only talking about today as far as Billy's umpiring goes.....Anywayz....U have a different point of view and I respect that......and more Importantly I have my incourse exams going on and infact have one tomorrow and I wasted the whole day watching cricket....so its pretty difficult for me to come up with all the decisions that went against Pakistan throughout the series......I gotta go n study big time now....Take care bro.....and we'll talk some other time about the umpiring in this series...no hard feelings...cheers...

Akib
March 28, 2005, 09:40 AM
Pakistan will surely leave this test series as winners. But they go into the ODI's as the ones to beat....

Wonder if India will make a comeback.

Faceoff
March 28, 2005, 09:54 AM
Test cricket at its best. Fantastic efforts from both sides. here is a clip of indian wickets if u r interested Click (http://wickets.bouncer.cx )

Fazal
March 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
Some tidbits:

1. Inzy is suspended for one game (one test match)

2. Reading all these media news, looks like Ganguly is in deep trouble to retain his place in the test team.

3. Bari lambastes Woolmer for unwarranted interference. Woolmer had refused to accept Imran Farhat and Yasir Arafat in the one-day team. Bari also claims, Woolmer and Inzamam were not ready to select Afridi on the team for the ICC Trophy and he was only selected when all members of the committee threatened to resign.He said that the committee had to fight tooth and nail to get youngsters like Kamran Akmal, Rao Iftikhar, Rana Naveed selected in the team.
source (http://www.keralanext.com/news/indexread.asp?id=165099)

4. Board (PCB) is investigating the critical remarks made by batsman Yasir Hameed against coach Bob Woolmer

5. There will be one more one day added in Indian tour to Pakistan.

Xavier
March 28, 2005, 10:47 AM
India have missed a great chance by losing this test; if they had won they would have been on second place on Test Championship for the first time, as it is explained here:
http://www.icc-cricket.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/MAR/213310_ICC-MEDIA_23MAR2005.html

And here is an interesting article on cricinfo on "lack of desire" which is maybe the main reason for indian loss (except for Kumble), in contrast with the great spirit shown by the Pakistanis (described as "hungry wolf"):
http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/MAR/217133_INDPAK2004-05_28MAR2005.html

Akib
March 28, 2005, 11:40 AM
Well they lost this test but they should have won the series already. The first test was theres to win. They dominated for 4 days but there bowlers lacked the killer instinct they needed to win.

chyicarus
March 28, 2005, 11:51 AM
What a thrilling match even though i must agree that India should've play more positively. When Asim Kamal dropped Sachin's catch just before tea- i was like- "another test match gone becoz of poor fielding"- but i loved the attitude that Afridi was bowling with. I had my heart in my mouth during the last 10 overs.
But i think pakistan outplayed India and it was a great performance with such limited and raw talent.
About Woolmer's and Inzi's criticism- thats how the coach and the captain needs to be. During Imran's era- he was the selector, captain and even Board. The Board just wants to keep good control over everything. But thats not how a team should be run. The coach and the captain knows best for the team and with Inzi i don't think they need to worry about match fixing coz he's one of the most pleasant chaps in world cricket these days. I think what Woolmer is trying to do is not to disrupt the team chemistry- introducing new players would changed that to some degree. And about Afridi's inclusion- i'm sure becoz of his gun-ho style, which eventually won them the game, they were a little skeptical. I'm sure no one has any problems with any players, media just sometimes boasts things up!

Rubayed
March 28, 2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by chyicarus
What a thrilling match even though i must agree that India should've play more positively. When Asim Kamal dropped Sachin's catch just before tea- i was like- "another test match gone becoz of poor fielding"- but i loved the attitude that Afridi was bowling with. I had my heart in my mouth during the last 10 overs.
But i think pakistan outplayed India and it was a great performance with such limited and raw talent.
About Woolmer's and Inzi's criticism- thats how the coach and the captain needs to be. During Imran's era- he was the selector, captain and even Board. The Board just wants to keep good control over everything. But thats not how a team should be run. The coach and the captain knows best for the team and with Inzi i don't think they need to worry about match fixing coz he's one of the most pleasant chaps in world cricket these days. I think what Woolmer is trying to do is not to disrupt the team chemistry- introducing new players would changed that to some degree. And about Afridi's inclusion- i'm sure becoz of his gun-ho style, which eventually won them the game, they were a little skeptical. I'm sure no one has any problems with any players, media just sometimes boasts things up!
I agree with u 200%. All that has been written about Media and Pakistani captain and coach must be a mix of truth and lies. Media sometimes make a mountain out of a molehill. Now that they r doing well, the least people can do is shut up and support them.

Beamer
March 28, 2005, 03:20 PM
Pak had an upper hand in the one day games, now more so against India. Pakistans batting in no.6, 7, 8 positions will give them the upper hand.

Pak 4- India 2 in one days, my prediction.

imtiaz82
March 28, 2005, 07:41 PM
One of the best test matches of recent times. I was up all night,but in the end it was worth it.(ended up missing 3 classes today :umm:

Pakistan without their main bowlers like Shoaib Akhtar, Shabbir Ahmed, Saqlain Mushtaq and Umar Gul has defeated India in their home ground. A big achievement indeed.

:fire::fire::joy:

Can't wait for the oneday series now....

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 12:43 AM GMT, by nayeem007.

left-hander
March 28, 2005, 08:13 PM

good call!!

Ameer
March 28, 2005, 09:32 PM
This is definetely Pakistan's best win in ages... and one of the best test series I've ever seen.

Pakistan goes into the ODIs with new fighting spirit and new hope... the scars of last year will be gone when Pakistan wins.. 4-2.

couger
March 28, 2005, 11:17 PM
India played like scared little schoolgirls, they deserve to lose.

couger
March 28, 2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by faceoff
Test cricket at its best. Fantastic efforts from both sides.

Cannot agree with you there. Great great effort by Pakistan but India, with the second best batting line-up simply wet their pants. Truely pathetic cricket from India. No heart at all.

Spitfire_x86
March 29, 2005, 01:08 AM
Yeah, Indian batting was really terrible in the 2nd innnings, barring Shewag, Gambhir and Kumble. For losing the match, India can't blame anyone except the negetive attitude of their batsmen. Tendulkar played his officially worst test innings yesterday.

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 01:38 AM
I agree... to see Tendulkar and Dravid defend even half volleys and long hops was disgusting.

couger
March 29, 2005, 05:21 AM
Also for a while now I've been wondering--for all his talents exactly how many match winning innings has Tendulkar played? I can't remember him performing under severe pressure for a long time now.

Shehwar
March 29, 2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by couger
Also for a while now I've been wondering--for all his talents exactly how many match winning innings has Tendulkar played? I can't remember him performing under severe pressure for a long time now.

U r right on the money!:up:

Tintin
March 29, 2005, 10:14 AM
The current Indian batting team has developed a remarkable appetite for big centuries in Test matches. There are some records in the offing:

- Virender Sehwag has reached 150 in each of his last six Tests centuries (195, 309, 155, 164, 173, 201). With one more he will equal the record of seven by Gary Kirsten (275, 180, 150, 220, 153, 150, 160). Don Bradman also made it seven in a row between 1931 and 1937, if you ignore his unbeaten 103 at Sydney in 1932-33.

- Sachin Tendulkar has passed 175 in each of his last five Test centuries (193, 176, 241*, 194*, 248*). This is an all-time record, and Tendulkar may yet extend the run.

- Rahul Dravid once converted four consecutive centuries into 200s, if you leave aside a score of 100 retired hurt vs West Indies at Mumbai in 2002.

- In his seven Test centuries, VVS Laxman has been dismissed only once between 100 and 148 (out for 130 vs West Indies, Antigua 2002).

Since October 2002, these four batsmen have scored a combined 21 Test centuries, but have been out only four times between 100 and 150.

Source : http://www.sportstats.com.au/bloghome.html

reverse_swing
March 29, 2005, 11:50 AM
Read this

Dada Rediff and Minus Bangladesh! (http://us.rediff.com/cricket/2005/mar/29guest.htm)

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 11:53 AM

That's because he is not a matchwinner. Here's some stats. Out of his 34 Test centuries, only 11 have led India to victory, that's a lousy 32%. Compare that to Inzamam ul Haq, who has had 21 centuries, and 16 of them have led Pakistan to victory. That's 76%.

Tendulkar's a great batsmen but he seems past his prime and his performance this series has led me to believe he's just playing for the personal milestones... 10,000 runs and the highest Indian run scorer.

Tintin
March 29, 2005, 11:55 AM
Compare that to Inzamam ul Haq, who has had 21 centuries, and 16 of them have led Pakistan to victory. That's 76%.

I'll Darren Lehmann to Inzy any time. Lehmann has hit 5 hundreds and has a 100% win record ;)

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 11:57 AM
Fatso's career is over.. you can thank Shoaib and Co for that. :up:

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Read this

Dada Rediff and Minus Bangladesh! (http://us.rediff.com/cricket/2005/mar/29guest.htm)

haha! too good.

however, the minus bangladesh part really serves no purpose in the analysis :)

Rubayed
March 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Read this

Its well written in terms of emphasizing on Ganuly's recent bad performances but excluding Bangladesh from the stats is something that didnt go that well with me. I didnt find it very amusing.

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
<a href = "http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/MAR/217950_INDPAK2004-05_29MAR2005.html">Ganguly 2/10</a>
:great:

Shehwar
March 29, 2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Tintin

Compare that to Inzamam ul Haq, who has had 21 centuries, and 16 of them have led Pakistan to victory. That's 76%.

I'll Darren Lehmann to Inzy any time. Lehmann has hit 5 hundreds and has a 100% win record ;)

Talk about lame examples!!! In that case I'll pick Shahid Afridi any time ahead of the likes of Tendulkar and company who doesn't have the ability to win a match on his own..infact never had...Afridi has hit 2 centuries and has a 100% win record !!!

Tintin
March 29, 2005, 01:52 PM
You missed the sarcasm there :)

It is very rarely that a batsman wins a match on his own. Every Australian of recent times will be a better 'matchwinner' than Inzy going by the same stats because their bowlers win the match more often. Similarly Andy Flower must be a terrible 'match loser'.

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 6:54 PM GMT, by Tintin.

Shehwar
March 29, 2005, 01:56 PM
Got it bro....

Shehwar
March 29, 2005, 01:58 PM
But u see in a side like Pakistan usually its the individual brilliance that wins them matches....And Inzi's match winning ability is unquestionable.....Dont u agree ?....

Fazal
March 29, 2005, 02:11 PM
And Inzi's match winning ability is unquestionable.....Dont u agree ?....

Not sure about that. But Inzi's runout-ability no doubt is the best.

Tintin
March 29, 2005, 02:11 PM
Inzy has played many more innings that were crucial in wins - no doubt about that. I agree that he is a better match winner in that sense.

But poor SRT has been let down by team mates so often and he had to take the blame for it.

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
And Inzi's match winning ability is unquestionable.....Dont u agree ?....

Not sure about that. But Inzi's runout-ability no doubt is the best.

His running has been good in the last year or so... please watch the matches instead of making comments like that.

Fazal
March 29, 2005, 04:36 PM
His running has been good in the last year or so... please watch the matches instead of making comments like that.

Ouch!!!! sorry to hurt your feelings.

His running between the wicket is not as disastrous as it used to be, but nowhere near good in the highest level. We are talking about in-terms of total career here about running between the wicket. In terms of that its nothing to be proud of (again in respect to his running).

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 9:42 PM GMT, by Fazal.

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2005, 04:41 PM
a thought: one would have thought akram khan's running/fielding would have been pretty crappy, he being a big guy. surprisingly, however, he was pretty good in both fields.

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
LOL, you didn't hurt my feelings, I just felt the need to correct you as you are thinking of the pre 03 WC Inzi... I'm pleasantly suprised by the new Inzi... you might not be though... remember Multan. :lol:

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
a thought: one would have thought akram khan's running/fielding would have been pretty crappy, he being a big guy. surprisingly, however, he was pretty good in both fields.

Who is Akram Khan? You mean Arshad Khan?

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 9:45 PM GMT, by Ameer.

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2005, 04:45 PM
multan is something you guys should be ashamed of: that was like stealing food from the poor :) (remember Rashid Latif?)

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2005, 04:45 PM

Who is Akram Khan? You mean Arshad Khan?

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 9:45 PM GMT, by Ameer.

go watch the matches before making a comment like that ;)

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 04:47 PM
multan is something you guys should be ashamed of: that was like stealing food from the poor :) (remember Rashid Latif?)

Why should Pakistan be ashamed? That was way back when Pakistan was still in disarray after the World Cup fiasco. Rebuilding process my friend. Would love for another Pak-BD series...

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2005, 04:47 PM
you mean another smack in the rear? like india got? ;)

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 04:50 PM
:fanflag: :D

Whatever floats your boat...

Fazal
March 29, 2005, 04:52 PM
That was way back when Pakistan was still in disarray after the World Cup fiasco.

Wait till Shoeb Akther comes back. It will be back to square one.

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2005, 04:52 PM
>>Whatever floats your boat...

sure. but no cheating this time - if you drop it you drop it.:lol: if that's ok, then i'll definitely be looking forward to such a series :)

Edited on, March 30, 2005, 8:20 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

chyicarus
March 29, 2005, 06:55 PM
I didn't like the comment about India wetting their pants and acting like little schoolgirls. Me being a Paki fan is saying this simply because i think they possess the talent to beat any team. I just don't like their attitude and their belief in themselves.
I think Tendulkar is a genuine batsman but unfortunately he wasn't in a position to win his teams many matches through his century. This does not prove that he's not a master batsmen though.
True- Inzi has immense talent although he doesn't receive the praise like Sachin, Brian or Ponting, but thats good in a way that media doesn't bring his downfall that way and he has less pressure on him.
About his running between the wickets. Do you guys know that before he used to play club cricket and would bat (from ball 1) with a runner? Well he's been a lot active these days and Younis Khan pushed him really hard in the third Test.
I can't stop but admire Younis Khan and I think he'll be an asset to the team in the coming years.
Above all, i just don't like Ganguly or his captaincy and his attitude on the field. But thats just me!
Lets hope we see a competitive One-Day series and may the best team win!!!

Ameer
March 29, 2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
That was way back when Pakistan was still in disarray after the World Cup fiasco.

Wait till Shoeb Akther comes back. It will be back to square one.

Most likely... but I don't know... Inzamam seems to have had enough of Shoaib's nonsense... Shoaib was actually fit for this upcoming ODI series vs India... but Inzi made sure he was not picked. I think they are letting Shoaib know that the team doesn't need him and his spot is not guranteed. That's good stuff from Inzy and PCB.

I would like to see a Shoaib giving 100% and who has no attitude problems... quite frankly, Shoaib at his best is a top notch bowler. The only problem is that he is rarely at his best.

couger
March 29, 2005, 08:19 PM

Why should Pakistan be ashamed? That was way back when Pakistan was still in disarray after the World Cup fiasco. Rebuilding process my friend. Would love for another Pak-BD series...

Why should Pakistan be ashamen?? For sarters for cheating. Rashid Latif was known to be the most honest honest one of the bunch resorted to cheating. If this is "honesty" Pakistani style then you're right...Pakistan has nothing to be ashamed of....

couger
March 29, 2005, 08:24 PM
I didn't like the comment about India wetting their pants and acting like little schoolgirls.

I made that comment and stand by it. How else would you put it............They were simply too scared and went into a shell. They simply failed to show any character whatsoever.

BTW, I'm not a Paki or an Indian fan, I simply wanted to see a riveting contest in the 5th day.

Edited on, March 30, 2005, 1:25 AM GMT, by couger.

couger
March 29, 2005, 08:29 PM

I think Tendulkar is a genuine batsman but unfortunately he wasn't in a position to win his teams many matches through his century. This does not prove that he's not a master batsmen though.

Only a fool would argue with you that Sachin is great, that is beyond any debate. But what is fast becoming apparent is his inability to win matches. I would love to see him do that. He's meant to do those heroics.

Spitfire_x86
March 29, 2005, 11:03 PM
I would like to see a Shoaib giving 100% and who has no attitude problems... quite frankly, Shoaib at his best is a top notch bowler. The only problem is that he is rarely at his best.
Even at his half best, Shoaib is better than Sami

Ameer
March 30, 2005, 01:34 PM
Why should Pakistan be ashamen?? For sarters for cheating. Rashid Latif was known to be the most honest honest one of the bunch resorted to cheating. If this is "honesty" Pakistani style then you're right...Pakistan has nothing to be ashamed of....

Latif got banned for that incident... and pretty much kicked off the team. So I stand by what I said. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Edited on, March 30, 2005, 7:47 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: multi-quotes

couger
March 30, 2005, 08:26 PM
Whatever punishment dished out to Latif was by the (ICC assigned) match referee , not by any Paki authority. Left to them you guys probably would've rewarded him. Anyway, its quite apparent from your posts that Honesty, sportsmanship are not pakistan's strong suit. So, I guess you're right--you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Edited on, March 31, 2005, 3:20 AM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: Quotes.

Ameer
March 30, 2005, 08:46 PM
OK, first of all, stop saying Paki. It's considered a racial slur. And plainly, just STFU. What's your point? I'm defending him for what he did. I'm just saying why should we be ashamed of one man's actions?

chinaman
March 30, 2005, 10:24 PM
Let's put a stop to this Latif discussion. It was discussed many a times before. Besides, this is off topic.

couger
March 30, 2005, 11:15 PM
OK, first of all, stop saying Paki. It's considered a racial slur.

You're right. Apologies. I wanted to type faster and little less and shrtened things.

couger
March 30, 2005, 11:20 PM
What's your point? I'm defending him for what he did. I'm just saying why should we be ashamed of one man's actions?

I will stop posting things about Latif after this.

My point is you're defending an action (and a person) that can only be considered cheating and you're not ashamed, not even apologetic? Pardon me, I thaught we're dealing with gentlemen here.

Rubayed
March 31, 2005, 07:05 PM
What's your point? I'm defending him for what he did. I'm just saying why should we be ashamed of one man's actions?

I will stop posting things about Latif after this.

My point is you're defending an action (and a person) that can only be considered cheating and you're not ashamed, not even apologetic? Pardon me, I thaught we're dealing with gentlemen here.

I think u guys r taking this issue too far and making it sound like Pakistan VS Bangladesh. I can totally understand and support Ameer's objection about the choice of word that few used while talking about Pakistanis. As about couger, who is pretty much trying to force Ameer to be apologetic is pathetic. I guess all he is trying to say is why should Pakistanis be ashamed for what Rashid Latif did? He got his punishment for what he did and its over and done with. Drop it guys!

Edited on, April 1, 2005, 12:05 AM GMT, by Rubayed.

couger
March 31, 2005, 08:43 PM
As about couger, who is pretty much trying to force Ameer to be apologetic is pathetic.
Edited on, April 1, 2005, 12:05 AM GMT, by Rubayed.
I said I won't post anything else on this topic so I won't. Rubayed check your U2U.

al
March 31, 2005, 08:43 PM
Always whining reduces significance of actual deed.Its like playing broken record player. We need to move on and focus on future. We should not brutalize every pakistani we find in this forum. I am sure, it is not in line with code of ethics of this forum. if not it needs to be. drop it guys

Rubayed
March 31, 2005, 09:35 PM
I said I won't post anything else on this topic so I won't. Rubayed check your U2U.

I did and there is nothing, but its ok take your time!;)

Rubayed
March 31, 2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by al
Always whining reduces significance of actual deed.Its like playing broken record player. We need to move on and focus on future. We should not brutalize every pakistani we find in this forum. I am sure, it is not in line with code of ethics of this forum. if not it needs to be. drop it guys

I agree with u 100%,,,,u r right on the money!

couger
March 31, 2005, 10:53 PM

I did and there is nothing, but its ok take your time!;)

try it now.

Ameer
March 31, 2005, 11:30 PM
It's okay couger... no hard feelings.

Rubayed
April 1, 2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your wisdom cougar, check your U2U;)

Rubayed
April 1, 2005, 01:18 AM
Alright. Here i m admitting in the open forum. I'm sorry couger for calling your remarks 'pathetic'. I felt at that point that the issue was being dragged for too long and felt like to make it stop but not at any point i intended to voice my opinion at your expense. Once again i'm sorry if i sounded offensive.

couger
April 1, 2005, 01:26 AM
Alright. Here i m admitting in the open forum. I'm sorry couger for calling your remarks 'pathetic'. I felt at that point that the issue was being dragged for too long and felt like to make it stop but not at any point i intended to voice my opinion at your expense. Once again i'm sorry if i sounded offensive.

No problem Rubayed. Its forgotten. You too take a pat in the back from me.

Rubayed
April 1, 2005, 01:39 AM
thx

couger
April 1, 2005, 05:43 AM
It's okay couger... no hard feelings.

Thnaks:up: