PDA

View Full Version : Shahadat in? Faruk pontificates ...

RazabQ
March 24, 2005, 03:07 PM
From the daily star: England tour party in a week. Chosen Tigers to miss NCL (http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/03/25/d50325040331.htm)

Amongst the highlights, Shahadat seems to be in, which makes me salivate :)

Selected players would be out of the NCL - which I'm not at all happy about. What's the logic?

Edited on, March 25, 2005, 7:34 PM GMT, by razabq.

nihi
March 24, 2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by razabq
From the daily star: England tour party in a week. Chosen Tigers to miss NCL (http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/03/25/d50325040331.htm)

Amongst the highlights, Shahadat seems to be in, which makes me salivate :)

Selected players would be out of the NCL - which I'm not at all happy about. What's the logic?

Like Kelso wanted to keep both Jackie and Laurie in "that 70's show"

AsifTheManRahman
March 24, 2005, 03:16 PM
isn't this what we always wanted though? remember the times when preparations for big national team tours used to get hampered due to clubs not letting their players go?

I've watched a number of matches and hundreds were scored not just on traditional flat tracks but on grassy surfaces too

ki rokom ghaash? mora na jeta?

al
March 24, 2005, 03:18 PM
hundred in grassy surfaces!! is it good or bad?

Sam
March 24, 2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by al
hundred in grassy surfaces!! is it good or bad?
Obviously it is good; I mean it is really tuff to score centuries on a green top pitch against quality (?) bowler.

couger
March 24, 2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by nihi

He did, for a while, didn't he?

couger
March 24, 2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
isn't this what we always wanted though?

Yeah, and I'm not complaining.

nihi
March 24, 2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by couger
Originally posted by nihi

He did, for a while, didn't he?

True! That was a bad analogy. Some even manage to keep for much longer, even maybe for life... sometimes.

Sham
March 24, 2005, 07:49 PM
I am complaining. Match practice is more important than nets, no doubt about it. They need to strike a balance. Give them a couple of more games and then take them out. After all, they are not going to England till May, what is the point of such a long camp? Just when some of our players, Bashar/Ashraful/Rajin are starting to score some runs in competitive cricket, no point taking them out of it so that they can bat in the nets. The national camp is important from a fielding and fitness point of view, but match practice is definitely more important overall, even if your opposition is weak because you are playing under pressure and in a formal setting, not batting in the nets with no pressure whatsoever!

little_master
March 24, 2005, 10:37 PM
Camp should be arranged after the NCL will be completed. no more or no less.

oracle
March 24, 2005, 10:42 PM
Disagree. Bearing in mind the relative fitness level of BD players vis a vis our opposition, i would rate the priority of fitness equal to that of match practice. Also, considering that the players have just about reached fitness that is minimum for a test cricketeer of international calibre , we should not start to show slack or go soft on a regime that has been carefully instilled by Whatmore, Mciness and co.

AsifTheManRahman
March 24, 2005, 10:58 PM
when is this camp starting? how many more rounds to go before they get in the nets?

chyicarus
March 24, 2005, 11:24 PM
I don't know but if you guys read one of McIness's last thread posting, you will see that he mentioned the lack of performance due to the ongoing league!
He said that because they didn't get time to practice and improve on their weaknesses.........!!
So i'll say taken them out- but release a few of the players to take part in their respective matches! I think fitness is very important just Oracle pointed out.

AsifTheManRahman
March 25, 2005, 12:19 AM
as for match practice, a couple of matches in england should do it, shouldn't it? i mean i understand that playing matches is a big help, but how much will it help batting or bowling on flat wickets in BD when you're going to england where conditions are anything but similar?

the team members should also be together for some time to get used to playing as a team with a purpose.

mahbubH
March 25, 2005, 02:05 AM
Do you guys observe the number of players played for each NCL team? My guess on an average 25/30 players played for each team. This is no good. Team selection (playing 11) of NCL teams is very unprofessional. My observation is teams are not selected on merit but something else. For example, Naeem Islam is in good form but he never played in OD version though he is a good OD player (ref. last U19 WC). BCB should look at this also because our divisional officials are not professional enough to run first class cricket teams.

cricket_pagla
March 25, 2005, 07:21 AM
:info: why BD-Cricket advisors act like novice all the time?

Red Cherry
March 25, 2005, 08:54 AM
Shahriar Nafees should get the nod......haven't we seen enough of G00lla

RazabQ
March 25, 2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Red Cherry
Shahriar Nafees should get the nod......haven't we seen enough of G00lla

Wrong thread mate :) You want this one: Javed to be in Final 11 or NOT (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10509)

Sham
March 25, 2005, 02:10 PM
I don't think a couple of matches before the First Test in England will do it as someone has mentioned, those games are just for acclimatization. We don't want to go into those matches having not played any competitive cricket for almost 2 months. I am not saying that the camp is not important. But why are they thinking of taking players out of the league in march when the tour isn't till mid May almost! Isn't a 15 day cam sufficient? Or maybe 3 weeks?

Also Chyicarus, McInnes didn't say that the players' fitness level went down because of the league. He was talking about his A team boys, and they didn't even take part in the league this year. He said they were not as fit because there had been a big gap between when their last camp ended (in August I believe) and the A tour, which started in early Feb. I think he mentioned Rajib running out of steam after two games in Zimbabwe and said that would not have happened last summer. Thats because they havent had any fitness camps since August and all they got to play in between is the Dhaka league which consists of one-day games. I don't think the NCL is detrimental to players' fitnes. If you are playing matches and scoring runs or taking wickets or whatever, you don't want to take a two month break to practice in the nets. You want to carry on out in the middle. I still hold that it will be a big mistake to take the players out of the NCL at this stage. Let them play two more rounds, which ends on 8th April and they will still have most of a month for their camp!

RazabQ
March 25, 2005, 02:34 PM
I agree with Sham. Bashar scored a century. Ashraful did so too. And most gratfyingly, for I actually like the person if not his present role, Rana scored a big one. We need Nafis, Golla & Rajin to score some runs too. And as a bowler (who bats) I can tell you - nothing makes up for match practice. As it is, the 30 over max _is_ protecting Tapash, Masree et al. We need them to have decent rhythm. The practice matches in England would be for fine tuning the side. i.e. Those matches will help decide whether Aftab should be the 6th batsmen? Or should it be Rana? Should Shahadat be the 3d pacer (assuming Tapash & Masree are sureties) or Nazmul? (i.e. potential penetrativeness vs. nagging accuracy).

As to getting people in form and fitness, the NL has to be it.

Rubu
March 25, 2005, 02:37 PM
here is my 39 cents:

they players are not going of of NCL right away. they will play one more round. when does that starts? i don't know, but gotta be a 2/3 days from now. thats almost the end of the march. then they play one more round. that means pretty much one week into april. now, looking at the fitness level of our team, i'd say they need not to play anymore. if u look at the thread "injury status of our national players", you'll see how many players are not very fit. we do'nt want the risk of getting them more injured. so, is it really a bad idea?
lets see what other options we've. if we decide to play them for one more round, it will be very close to 2nd week of april. now, 3 week of camp + some time to work on the injury, will take us into mid may. not a good idea.
i'm not sure if they decide to pull national player to work on their injury or not. if that is the case i welcome this decision. otherwise, its not a bad diea to play one more round. but no more, by anymeans.

Sham
March 25, 2005, 04:07 PM
I think the fact that a lot of our players have been injured recently is an argument in favour of letting them play the NCL, not against. A lot of our top players, Rajin, Bashar, Rafique etc have had very little match pratice recently. As for injury, where does it say that injuries can only happen during a match? Cant a player be injured at practice. If a batsman breaks a finger fending off a short ball from a fast bowler or a bowler sprains his ankle during his run up, that is just as likely to happen in practice as during a match. I think players like Rajib and Enamul who have had a long tour recently can be taken out of the NCL and put into the camp. Others like Bashar and Rajin in my opinion will benefit more from playing some more competitive cricket. As I said, the 8th round ends on the 8th of April, it won't really hurt all that much for these players to play till then!

sports_fan_bd, each NCL team has 20 players in their staff and although I havent checked after the 6th round, after the 5th, the average number of players who have played in the NCL this season per team was around 18. That is not abnormal. When you play week in and week out for 10 weeks, you have to rotate your players around and rest them!

Rubu
March 25, 2005, 04:31 PM
ok, yeah, i agree with ur points. but still if dav decide that he want them out, i'm with him. if its faruk and co.'s decision, its a different matter. but i'm with dav all the way. if dav decide that suman should not be in final 11, and JO should open bowling, i'm with it.

RazabQ
March 25, 2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
ok, yeah, i agree with ur points. but still if dav decide that he want them out, i'm with him. if its faruk and co.'s decision, its a different matter. but i'm with dav all the way. if dav decide that suman should not be in final 11, and JO should open bowling, i'm with it.

Careful. Arnab might accuse you of being under the influence of some alpha male! :D :lol: For those of you going "what the ... " I suggest you check out the Power of Mind (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10548) thread in Forget Cricket :)

Zephaniah
March 25, 2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Sham

sports_fan_bd, each NCL team has 20 players in their staff and although I havent checked after the 6th round, after the 5th, the average number of players who have played in the NCL this season per team was around 18. That is not abnormal. When you play week in and week out for 10 weeks, you have to rotate your players around and rest them!

Yep! That's quite normal. But what happened to Wascooroony? When you see a 'tear-away', in BD context, disapprear just after taking bagful of wickets bowling some sensational spells in short perriod of time, you do wonder!

Sham
March 25, 2005, 11:52 PM
Lets face it guys, Wascoroni was not even a cricketer two months ago, let alone a First Class cricketer. But then the GP Pacer Hunt came along and he threw down some pacey deliveries and there he was playing cricket for Chittagong Division. Now lets guess, how fit must he have been at that stage? Four day cricket is no joke. Most of us get cramps after playing one whole day, and they made him play two games back to back and he bowled a total of 60 overs! Is it any wonder that the guy is down and out?

I have to say (and don't accuse me of hyping him up because I never joined the Wascoroni bandwagon), I was not pleased with the way they handled him. There was no need to rush him into FC Cricket. They could have put him through the HP camp this year, got him in shape and stuck him into the NCL next year. But no, they got impatient. And what is the result: He comes, conquers, his bowling action gets questioned, his fitness fails him, and now we are speculating on why he isn't in the team anymore! Fantastic!

Edited on, March 26, 2005, 4:53 AM GMT, by Sham.

Ahmed_B
March 26, 2005, 12:22 AM
There's nothing to be unhappy about missing NCL.

Apart from the importance of fitness training in camp.. there's another reason for not worrying about missing NCL.. and that is the more or less average standard of NCL matches.

No matter how much happy we are about the 100's & 200's of so many batsmen or 4/5 wicket hauls by 'promising'(?) bowlers or the new sensation grassy pitches... the NCL still remains a 'Casual Ground' of cricket... long way to reach the professional level.

So the only loss will be that NCL will miss some better players (who will be called for the camp)... not that those players will miss NCL much.

As the selectors also said something liket his:

"Though the league has seen most of Bangladesh's key players among the runs, the selectors wanted to this time consider the performances of the Bangladesh A team's tour of Zimbabwe recently. "

or...

"Definitely performances in the domestic competition are an important factor but may I remind you that it will not be wise on our part to make many changes to a winning combination."

Edited on, March 26, 2005, 5:28 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

mahbubH
March 26, 2005, 01:41 AM

Upto 6th round Barisal used 21 players in 4-day matches. Four more rounds are to go. Here is the list of players they used so far.

1. Imran Ahmed
2. Hannan Sarkar
3. Humayun Kabir
4. Shahin Hossain
5. Nasiruddin Faruque
6. Arafat Salahuddin
7. Mosharraf Hossain
8. Nadif Chowdhury
9. Ishraq Sonet
10. Ali Arman
11. Anisur Rahman
12. Saqib Chowdhury
13. Tariqul Islam
14. Nahidul Haque
15. Nayan Kumar
17. Abul Bashar
18. Shahnawaz Kabir
19. Prosenjit Joy
20. Towhid Hossain
21. Mohammad Sharif

Edited on, March 26, 2005, 6:59 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

mahbubH
March 26, 2005, 01:48 AM
So far, Dhaka used 21 players for six round.

1. Javed Omar
2. Mehrab Hossain jnr
3. Al Sahariar
4. Mohammad Ashraful
5. Halim Shah
6. Mohammad Rafique
7. Khaled Mahmud
8. Anwar Hossain
9. Arafat Sunny
10. Anwar Hossain Monir
11. Talha Jubair
12. Rashidul Haque
13. Mehrab Hossain
14. Sajjad Kadir
15. Niamur Rashid
16. Mahbubul Alam
17. Ashraful Khan
18. Jahangir Alam
19. Niaz Morshed
20. Dippajjal Day
21. Mahmudullah

Edited on, March 26, 2005, 6:49 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

mahbubH
March 26, 2005, 01:52 AM
>> Lets face it guys, Wascoroni was not even a cricketer two months ago, let alone a First Class cricketer.

You missed Wascoorni with Zahid. Wascoorni played last Dhaka premier league for Indira road. Usually cricketers play in Dhaka premier league.

Sham
March 26, 2005, 02:32 AM
Okay, so some teams have 21 players rather than 20, but the argument still stands. When you play week in and week out, you have to rotate your players. This is nothing out of the ordinary. Look at how many players play for each county team every season. Now I am not saying that no nepotism goes on, I am sure it does, but I really doubt that its quite as bad as some people think!

As for Wascoroni, I was under the impression that he was the find of this years GP Pacer Hunt. As a matter of fact, I could swear that I read in the Daily Star that he was. Maybe I got it totally wrong.

mahbubH
March 26, 2005, 02:42 AM
>>
As for Wascoroni, I was under the impression that he was the find of this years GP Pacer Hunt. As a matter of fact, I could swear that I read in the Daily Star that he was. Maybe I got it totally wrong.

Yes he was selected in GP pacer hunt but like other selection Mahbubul Alam Robin, he also played in the Dhaka premier league before competing in GP pacer hunt program.

fwullah
March 27, 2005, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure where I've read this, but I believe it was in janakantha on the same story-heading as this (current thread) one, which says that Shahriar Nafees may play in place of Nafees Iqbal if Nafees Iqbal does not get fit in time for the England tour.

Didn't anyone else read about this or posted about this anywhere? Because to me, that is a big shock. Its not that it'll matter much, but considering Nafees' recent international experiences this season, and Shahriar Nafees' lack of international experience thus far, it has made matters worst than it already has been. What do you say?

Sham
March 27, 2005, 01:37 PM
Obviously it will be a huge blow if we lose Nafees. But I think there is still a lot of time before the series starts and the write-up in Janakantha or wherever you read it is purely speculative.