PDA

View Full Version : Individual v Team Performances

Sham
March 25, 2005, 11:47 PM
Isn't it strange that the division that has produced both the highest scorer so far this season (Golam Rahman) and highest wicket-taker (Nabil Samad) is languishing in 5th place in the NCL. As a matter of fact, Sylhet has also produced the third highest aggregate scorer in Moniruzzaman.

Dhaka on the other hand is leading the NCL at this point but they don't have a batsman among the top 5 run scorers and only one bowler (Chacha) in the top 5 wicket-takers.

Anyway, I know that team performances are more important than individual performances, but I just thought it was quite interesting and that I should point it out.

Sam
March 26, 2005, 09:15 AM
Yes, it is a typical example of how important is the Team Performance, rather than individual achievements.

Orpheus
March 26, 2005, 09:15 AM
yeah you need 11 individual performance to have an effect. So not that interesting but thanks for pointing out. :D

chyicarus
March 26, 2005, 09:25 AM
One bad thing about Individual Performances,............in this NCL- there were too many catches dropped which can never be good!

Akib
March 26, 2005, 10:18 AM
If NCL players can improve their catching it will help us so much in Tests and ODIs. WE drop catchs alot and often they are important wickets.

Rubu
March 26, 2005, 11:09 AM
in NCL indivisual performance is more important than team performance. who cares about who becomes the champion? whether its dhaka or rajshahi or even borishal, its just does not matter.

what NCL is really for is to find players for national team. we need more and more indivisual performer so that we can bring them into consideration and if possible to national leage.

Sham
March 26, 2005, 11:34 AM
That is the problem you see. Atleast, I think its a problem. For as long as the NCL does not become popular in itself and is only a selection tool for the national team, it will remain of a poor standard. Players will play for themselves and no one will care about whether the team wins or loses. Of course, an argument goes, if all the players play for themselves and do well, then the team will benefit. But in a team sport, you have to play for the team and do what is necessary rather than to show your own talents off in front of the selectors all the time. One of the reasons for the high standard of domestic cricket in Australia is that the players take these games very seriously. Some players will tell you, and have admitted publicly in the past, that they enjoy playing for their state more than playing for their country. A lot of people in Yorkshire would rather have Yorkshire win the county championships than England win the summer Test series.

In my opinion, only when the overall intensity of the NCL reaches those sorts of levels will the quality show real signs of improvement. When players and team as a whole go out there to play their heart out and win at any cost will we really have a good FC league in BD. What good is it if the players are out there modelling for the selectors and they don't care what happens to the rest of their teammates or whether their team wins or loses. Losing has to hurt!

mahbubH
March 26, 2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
in NCL indivisual performance is more important than team performance. who cares about who becomes the champion? whether its dhaka or rajshahi or even borishal, its just does not matter.

what NCL is really for is to find players for national team. we need more and more indivisual performer so that we can bring them into consideration and if possible to national leage.

You are right.

This trend is not good. It will only provide some selfish players (e.g. player who can show a smiling face after finishing in losing side ... offcourse he scores some run in that match).

These players do not play for themselves (that much) when they play for his club. May be they are afraid of club officials or they get enough money to play for the team. If money is the main thing here, BCB could give more incentive to the winners!

mahbubH
March 26, 2005, 11:39 AM
A lot of people in Yorkshire would rather have Yorkshire win the county championships than England win the summer Test series.

In my opinion, only when the overall intensity of the NCL reaches those sorts of levels will the quality show real signs of improvement. When players and team as a whole go out there to play their heart out and win at any cost will we really have a good FC league in BD. What good is it if the players are out there modelling for the selectors and they don't care what happens to the rest of their teammates or whether their team wins or loses. Losing has to hurt!

If an individual player does not know his NCL team week before the league starts, it is not easy for the players!!

Sham
March 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah I know. But the majority of the players are playing for their own divisions. A few got distributed around to bolster the strengths of the weaker divisions. Have they been distributed around for just this one season or are they now going to be permanently playing for their new teams? If the latter is the case, they better get used to it! If its just for one season and the selectors are going to redistribute again next season, thats quite stupid.

chyicarus
March 26, 2005, 12:51 PM
one thing i must mention is that we need to inject the competitive spirit in our cricketers. I was a little shocked to see Khulna after getting a small lead- batted out most of the 4th day. They should've declared a lot earlier than they actually did. I know NCL is where some of our national cricketers get their form back, but the goal of the game is to win and not score records and reach individual goals.
I have seen other instances where the game is heading for a draw but no declaration came simply because they wanted batting practice. Such actions will not help BD cricket in the long run.
I remember one instance where England declared late in the 5th day to make things interesting- even though they lost that match. I don't know remember the full details, but if you search the cricinfo archive you can find that match.
So i think we need to develop that attitude of making the game more interesting and not boring and monotonous!