PDA

View Full Version : Was it Intentional Pad-Play?

Ahmed_B
March 28, 2005, 08:59 AM
Asking this question to anyone who watched India’s Test-3 last wicket fall.

How was Balaji Given out?
The ball surely din’t touch his gloves. And, as visible in replay, the ball was clearly too high to be given LBW. Then how was he out?

Was it given ‘Intentional Pad-Play’?
As I felt... with 6 more overs to go, Balaji suddenly started padding the ball each time no matter where it was pitched and without offering any shot at it. With one LBW and one Bat-Pad appeal turned down.. the umpire gave him out when he did exactly the same thing for consecutive 3rd time.

Was he given out because of Intentional Pad-Play? What are the rules?

Tintin
March 28, 2005, 09:13 AM
Normally the ball should hit in line for the batsman to be out. But the point of impact can be "outside the line of the off stump, if the striker has made no genuine attempt to play the ball with his bat" (Law 36.1). So it comes into play only for balls coming into the batsman.

Looks like it was just a bad decision.

The fall of wickets can be seen here : http://209.67.220.27/rajeev/index.htm They show it as 'caught'.

Edited on, March 28, 2005, 2:17 PM GMT, by Tintin.

Ahmed_B
March 28, 2005, 09:14 AM
sory.... posted this in Bangladesh cricket by mistake..
Asking help from mods pls to move it to Intl' cricket.

James90
March 29, 2005, 03:06 AM
You have to remember when the batsmen is padding up it reduces the benefit of the doubt he is given

Shehwar
March 29, 2005, 07:14 AM
He was lbw to me.....I dunno wot it says in the scorecard but the ball was going straight on and he wasn't offering a shot(He basically padded up a ball which pitched on the middle stump and carried on!)......and I dont think it was too high either....Cheers..

chyicarus
March 29, 2005, 06:18 PM
Looking at the reply- the ball was clearly missing off. It was a dubious decision but although Pakistan got on the bad side of many decision i think it put a lot of pressure on the umpires which caused them this kind of mistake.