PDA

View Full Version : How our boys did in England last year

Sham
March 30, 2005, 05:42 PM
Out of the 20 members selected in the preliminary squad for the England tour, six of them toured England last summer with the under 19 team. Their performances in the Test series are as follow:

Nafees Iqbal scored 133 runs in five innings at an average of 26.60. His highest score was 56!

Aftab Ahmed scored 170 runs in five innings at an average of 34.00. He was the only batsmen to score two 50s, with a highest score of 91!

Shahriar Nafees scored 61 runs in 5 innings at an average of 12.20. His highest score was 26!

Shahadat Hussain Rajib took 6 wickets in three matches at an average of 31.33. His best bowling figures were 3-58!

Nazmul Hussain took 6 wickets in two matches at an average of 34.50. His best bowling figures were 3-101!

Enamul Huque Jnr took 4 wickets in two matches at an average of 38.75. His best bowling figures were 2-40!

So, a pretty depressing read made all the worse by the fact that they were playing against the England under-19 side and that too in late July and August when the wickets are better! How much have they improved in one year and what can we realistically expect from them?

RazabQ
March 30, 2005, 05:47 PM
This is what I keep trying to point out when I say that England tour is not one where you drop in a bunch of rookies because they are the flavor of the month :)

Beamer
March 30, 2005, 10:24 PM
Great find Sham. Agree..agree..agree..not a time or place to experiment with a lot of rookies. And sadly, its not even the flavour of the month. Flavor of the day sometimes get people all worked up. Mushfiqur rahim, Shamsu rahman did pretty well in that series if I can recall correctly. Our selectors are doing the right thing. Gotta commend them for that.

oracle
March 30, 2005, 10:40 PM
I just thought about Shamsur Rahman. He should be one of 2 players in the pool because I think even though he was part of that U-19 group that did so- so, he still has the potential as Nafis, Shadat to mature further and move on from where they were last year.

Just hope the board has enough challenges for thse guys who are not boarding the plane.

IanW
March 31, 2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by razabq
This is what I keep trying to point out when I say that England tour is not one where you drop in a bunch of rookies because they are the flavor of the month :)

So rather than send players who've been to England recently and didnt go too badly, you send old players you know aren't up to it ?

Play your youngsters in the first 2 warmup matches. Then the old hands get a game to get back in their groove, if the kids didnt do alright.

Ian Whitchurch

Sham
March 31, 2005, 01:19 AM
No, the point isn't to play old players who aren't upto it. Rather, we should have some perspective on where some of these guys stand and adjust our expectations accordingly. Just because a young player has had a good season in Bangladesh shouldn't get them into the Test squad for a crucial tour. At the same time, if Shahriar Nafees looks the part for example, I'm all for playing him instead of Javed Omar in the Test matches.

Anyway, I agree with your last bit. Play the youngsters early in the tour and leave the last warm-up game as a dress rehearsal for the first Test. I wouldn't risk Mashrafe, Rafique, Tapash, Bashar and all in the game against British Universities. Rather give players like Rajib, Nazmul, Enamul, Rana and Shahriar Nafees a game early on and see how they get on!

RazabQ
March 31, 2005, 02:40 AM
d'accord on that last point with Ian. And thanks for elaborating so accurately on my argument Sham.

Ahmed_B
March 31, 2005, 03:17 AM
hmm... none of their performances are highly striking.
But thats the best we got I suppose.

Lets just hope they have matured up since that last exposure and being supported by seniors, they will try hard to upgrade their game.

bourny3
April 3, 2005, 03:28 AM
There records werent great but they have improved since then in my eyes.

Sham
April 3, 2005, 04:07 AM
They have definitely improved. Some of them have improved quite a lot. Take Nafees Iqbal for example. Even when he broke into the side last year, his game was extremely cocky. He would start off well and then think he could play the most outrageous shots, like the one that got him out against WI in the Champions Trophy. But I went back to Dhaka this Christmas and he had really matured as a batsman. He was much more patient and seemed to know that he had a lot of responsibility on his shoulders as an opener.

The others have improved a lot as well. At their age, in the late teens, a year is a long time and you have to improve one summer to the next. The question is, how much can we realistically have expected them to improve to struggle against England u19 one year and to do well against the England national side the next? Anyway, its a young side and the learning curve will be steep, so even if they don't conquer the world this summer, its no big deal. I just put those stats up so that people adjust their expectations a little because I know the guys who don't perform very well are going to get taken apart on this board and asked to be dropped!

chinaman
April 3, 2005, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Sham
.. even if they don't conquer the world this summer, its no big deal. I just put those stats up so that people adjust their expectations a little because I know the guys who don't perform very well are going to get taken apart on this board and asked to be dropped!

Right on the spot. We want our boys to improve but we also need to improve as fans. The days are long gone when we'd go to bed satisfied after a 22 run win against Fizi. We need to think and act like real big boys - the test fans :)