PDA

View Full Version : Harmy is'nt worried

oracle
March 31, 2005, 01:54 PM
Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,426-1545362,00.html)

“Everybody seems to be talking about the Ashes,” Harmison said. “If I’m being honest, I don’t think anybody is interested in Bangladesh or the one-day matches. There is no big football tournament clashing with us, so we have a clear run — just England against Australia at cricket, and the people up here can’t wait to see it on the TV.”

Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick and Graham Thorpe (along with others) will all be available for Championship games in England this summer-most of them commencing in May. Meanwhile as to match practice-preparations are minimal in the England camp with a gradual build up aime towards the Ashes.

Surprisingly, Michael Vaughan will probably play only one game before meeting BD! He will be rested up to that match.

Sham
March 31, 2005, 02:01 PM
Harmison is quite right. The cricket enthusiasts in this country are only looking forward to the Ashes. Bangladesh is warm-up, and since most think that Bangladesh is worse than most county teams, they aren't all that happy about us being in their warm-up schedule either! Anyway, its on us to prove that we can give England a run for their money!

Beamer
March 31, 2005, 02:03 PM
This scenario is perfect for us. Their press is fixated on Ashes and we will be able to basically fly underneath the radar. Couldn't come at a better time for us!

Rubu
March 31, 2005, 02:11 PM
honestly speaking i'm scared and hopeful at the same moement.

realistically speaking, we do not stand a chance. english condition is the main reason for that. the last time we played there in champion's trophy, it was a blunder. what has changed since then? nothing much beside gaining some confidence.

the reason i can be hopeful is that the team never looked so balanced in a long time. i know, i know, its not balanced at all. but, it is better than any time before. all we really need is a proper opener, an allrounder. bowling is good, nevertheless. given that rafique nazmul and nafis all are fit for the game, our strength is not that bad. for the test, mashrafee, taposh to open, rajib as first change and aftab to fill in. rafique is to do the spinning. in case (somehow) spin seems to problem them and rana is not in the 11, ash and rajin can always cover up. enamul is not likely to play. do we really need 5 genuin bowlers?

its all and i mean all depends on batsmen, whats why i'm in favore of playing one extra batsman instead of enamul.

AsifTheManRahman
March 31, 2005, 02:11 PM
>>This scenario is perfect for us.

if only our guys make some appropriate use of their grey matter now.

Edited on, March 31, 2005, 7:12 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

DotBall
March 31, 2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Beamer
This scenario is perfect for us. Their press is fixated on Ashes and we will be able to basically fly underneath the radar. Couldn't come at a better time for us!

NOT gonna happen. Press will eat us alive. They are not saying much now because they have already done it a lot in last few months. Just wait for the series to start and you will see them firing all barrels.

Beamer
March 31, 2005, 02:22 PM
Agent..I agree. very nervous with the conditions. Its a foreign territory for most of the players. I however disagree a little bit with you about the team that played in the Chamipons trophy and the team that is going to play now. Few things have changed.
Bashar wasn't there. Big difference.
Rajin captained and was out of form. He is back big time opening in the one dayers.
Golla opened. He won't now.
Mashrafee wasn't there. He is now.
Did Kapali play? I think he did. He won't now.

Kana-Baba
March 31, 2005, 03:16 PM
Hermison isn't worried about BD since we have got no chance................true

Ponting is not worried about Ashes as England could not get the series for last 15 year :)

So, those firingi a$$ hole should stop talking big mouth

RazabQ
March 31, 2005, 05:53 PM
Bhai, this is a guy je plane e uthlei kandakati shuru kore. Amu ammur kache jaabo. Amai bashai ferot jaabo. Do we really care what he says. As long as he is spraying it around against us, I'm happy.

Fazal
March 31, 2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by razabq
Do we really care what he says. As long as he is spraying it around against us, I'm happy.

:up: The team should filter all those rubbish comments and concentrate on individual performance and improvement as Dav said... and that will lead us to respectable team performance.... and if everything goes ok then we can gloat about these kind of not-so-good comments later.

>> Amu ammur kache jaabo.
btw, who is Amu? Is it Amir Hossian Amu of Awami League. Why he wants to meet with him. :-/

Edited on, March 31, 2005, 11:50 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Arnab
March 31, 2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Anyway, its on us to prove that we can give England a run for their money!

I know it's not possible for us to truly give the English team "a run for their money."

But what would be your realistic expectation for the best we can possibly do? You know, what is the upper limit of our performance in this tour that in your mind might be satisfactory to you? In quantitative terms.

couger
March 31, 2005, 08:24 PM
The English press alway had this habit of praising their medeocrity. Harmison is another example, against the Australia that is. The Aussies will play him with consumate ease. And hopefully BD boys will show them a thing or two.

RazabQ
March 31, 2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Arnab
I know it's not possible for us to truly give the English team "a run for their money."

But what would be your realistic expectation for the best we can possibly do? You know, what is the upper limit of our performance in this tour that in your mind might be satisfactory to you? In quantitative terms.

No one asked me but I'll opine anyway :)

I think the upper limit of our performance is 1 draw and 1 game where we are able to push England to a Multan like situation with a 50/50 outcome in the offing. However I am by nature an optimist :)

As to the lower limit, I dare not speak for fear that BD could decide to prove me wrong :-P

Sham
March 31, 2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah, thats quite optimistic. Unless we get rain, even draws seem highly unlikely. Not because we are so bad, but because of the timing of the Test series. The pitches are going to be more seamer friendly and likely to be low scoring. In terms of giving them a run for their money, I mean, make them bat in both innings and work to beat us.

As I said, the Tests are likely to be low scoring. I doubt even England will score 450-500s. Chances are, we will score between 200-250, and England will score between 325-375. We need to try to push our upper limit and get a few scores of 250+ and try to keep England to their lower limit!

Actually, a Multan type situation is more likely than a draw. If we can bat and score 270, keep England to 320, and score another 230, setting them 180 to win in the 4th innings, we could create pressure by taking a couple of early wickets. I can see that happening more than for us to score 350 and 280 and drawing a Test match.

However, I can see us scoring 160 and 185, England scoring 360 and beating us by an innings. This is the most likely outcome but lets stay positive for now!

RazabQ
March 31, 2005, 09:50 PM
Aah I was not giving most probable outcome, rather, given our potential, what would be the "upward limit". That is, if tara nokhkhotrora jodi katar dhoray and every player fully playes upto what he is capable of, what _could_ happen.

I quite agree with your prediction of what's LIKELY to happen :)

Sham
March 31, 2005, 10:15 PM
Actually, even I was being a little optimistic. In the tour that was almost identical to ours in terms of timing and grounds, Zimbabwe's tour to England in 2003, the scores were as follows:

The first Test was at the end of May at Lords (same as ours): England scored 472, and in reply Zimbabwe scored 147 and 233.

The second Test was at the beginning of June at Riverside (same as ours): England scored 416, and in reply Zimbabwe scored 94 and 253.

Even in the Lord's Test against New Zealand early in the summer last year, England scored a bunch of runs.

So, don't believe me when I say England will not score 450+. They might! Makes it all the more important for our batsmen to do well. Low scoring matches are always to our advantage, as our strength lies in bowling. However, if England scores a lot of runs, I don't want to think about what will happen to us!

dukha
March 31, 2005, 10:43 PM
Harmy is not worried So what ? Is Macgrath worrying about his 500 wickets to celebrate in Lords . So , who gives a crap . Only , Whatmore and Bashar worried till they have 1-1 in the series .........

So , don't talk crap all the time rather think how can we improve in our second innings as we fallen asleep all the time in past . :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Edited on, April 1, 2005, 3:45 AM GMT, by dukha.

nasifkhan
March 31, 2005, 10:58 PM
hmmm....its a perfect timing to kick some A$$...

fwullah
March 31, 2005, 11:55 PM
I think scoring some runs in the first innings will be the key. If we can manage to score something in the region of 250s - which is really our upper limit on an average when in good form, then we would be able to say that we could compete. Then if we are bowled out for 130 or 150, then that won't matter too much to me.

And this scenario looks unlikely because of the wet English pitches.

cricket_pagla
April 1, 2005, 02:12 AM
jani na kar ki kora uchit!... tobe.. positive result chai:up:

Shehwar
April 1, 2005, 02:48 AM
What we really need is a good start.....U know...just to settle the butterflies in the tummy....I reckon one of the main reasons that we won the test series against Zimbabwe was that opening stand between JO and Nafis in the 1st innings of the 1st test....When they returned to the pavilion unconquered at lunch it gave us and our side a tremendous boost which showed the effect throught out the series....Things might have been very different if a had a traditional start like 10 for 2.....So..I just feel we also need a bit of luck to go our way...Win the toss perhaps and bat first on batting paradise...who knowz what might happen.....But definitely staying positive here...And all of u do keep praying to the All Mighty.....I alwayz feel our prayers do a world of good to our team...cheers...

Sham
April 1, 2005, 04:35 AM
If we want a good start, we need to bowl first. Even if things go badly wrong on the first morning, all won't be lost. England will just be 120 for no loss or something. However, if we bat first at Lord's and the pressure of the occasion gets to us, like it has a lot of teams, we might be 60-7 at lunch and it will be all over!

I remember going to Chelmsford with a heart full of hope six years ago to watch BD take on New Zealand in our first World Cup match. How quickly all hope was dashed!! They just played nervous tentative cricket and NZ was all over us in no time, BD finally limping to 117 after being 50 odd for 7!

Ahmed_B
April 1, 2005, 09:09 AM
I am counting on Nafees/JO/Bashar/Aftab for giving us a solid start... atleast like 100/3.

Lets hope they show the spirit!

Ahmed_B
April 1, 2005, 09:12 AM
but if we bowl first.... I think our bowlers can get England atleast 100/2... if not better!