PDA

View Full Version : Writer Abed

Orpheus
March 31, 2005, 04:07 PM
When Shameran Abed scored his first (and last) half century at the Nirman Championships, those fortunate enough to watch him bat were soon locked in debate about whether he was a future Lara or a future Tendulkar. Sadly, for all his talent and early promise, he was never able to repeat his feat and was duly dumped from his school side, prompting him to take up coaching the girls squad! This largely explains his crusade on the BanglaCricket forum against all talentless performers, and his love for all talented underachiervers, a bunch with whom he can identify. He goes by the nick "Sham" and although he was given the honorary title of BanglaCricket Adviser, most of his advice is usually laughed at and then deleted so as not to waste space on our limited server! - Editors.

I don't know whehter this has already been posted or not - please delete if it was but I thought it was funny as hell.

Who wrote this?

Edited on, March 31, 2005, 9:07 PM GMT, by Orpheus.
Reason: title fixed

Sham
March 31, 2005, 04:20 PM
who do you think?

AsifTheManRahman
March 31, 2005, 04:23 PM
obviously Sham himself

oracle
March 31, 2005, 04:32 PM
I am guessing Zunaid. He has been known to tinker with writer's profiles. :)

Orpheus
March 31, 2005, 04:34 PM
I think it was fwullah. She is pissed because the quality of articles in banglacricket gone down.

Sham
March 31, 2005, 04:38 PM
HAHAHAHA!

Oh man, my blurb is going to get more replies than my article! :)

Zunaid
March 31, 2005, 04:38 PM
Quality of posts HAS gone down :)

AsifTheManRahman
March 31, 2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Sham
HAHAHAHA!

Oh man, my blurb is going to get more replies than my article! :)

you should have thought about it before writing down that paragraph about yourself :lol:

RazabQ
March 31, 2005, 05:20 PM
At least he scored a century! I guess I'll have to be happy with my few 4-fers and one 50 :)

Now how do you get a picture in there? I want a rana pic in my article :) heh heh

Zunaid
March 31, 2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by razabq

Now how do you get a picture in there? I want a rana pic in my article :) heh heh

done :)

Sham
March 31, 2005, 05:41 PM
It was actually a half century. 65 not out to be precise! :)

Orpheus
March 31, 2005, 07:10 PM
Eventhough I am not a writer, I willl disclose my records anyway....

My highest batting score was 13. I never hit a four or a six in my life.

I had hatrick once. Best bowling figure - 5 wickets taken (same game). How many runs conceded - have no clue.

Grounds I have played in: Basketball court, Dead end street, baseball field, parking lot, driveway, Restricted space in a funeral home.

By the way - I consider myself a batsman.

RazabQ
March 31, 2005, 07:33 PM
well if we are counting those levels, then how about 3 sixes in one over of tape tennis agins a Paki team at the Johnson atletic center (MIT)?

Actually that center remains one of my fave places to play cricket. Lovely giving synthetic surface. Long lenghts to drive, true bounce, and best of all - fully covered :)

James90
March 31, 2005, 07:34 PM
I've made one half-century, which was a 65 not out. Maybe I should just give up now and coach the girls squad!

Zunaid
March 31, 2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
I've made one half-century, which was a 65 not out. Maybe I should just give up now and coach the girls squad!

And I bet you would prefer this :)

oracle
March 31, 2005, 07:57 PM
Sham
change topic for your next article and talk about Nirman- nice thread in the making here..
:)

couger
March 31, 2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan

I once scored 117 and took 4 wickets in a matc, maybe I should coach the BD national team!!!!!!!

Sham
March 31, 2005, 08:15 PM
Show off!!

shovon13
March 31, 2005, 08:38 PM
what is this!!

aright i got one. how about 3 sixes off the an indian bowler in the same over (it was in a friendly tournament) with your leg muscle pulled. i also carried the bat through the inning a couple of times in that tournament.

my excuse for showing off: everyone else is doing it!

Tehsin
March 31, 2005, 10:37 PM
HUH, you guys don't stand a chance against my performance in "International Test Cricket". Batting at various order, I have scored nearly 15000 runs and if that wasn't enough, my bowling left the opponents stumpless. That's 500+ wickets and counting. :)

Before my performances lit up the scoreboards in ITC, I used to be a regular cricket just like you all. I used to be content with my once in a blue moon 50s and 3-4 wicket hauls. Those days are long goneee....

Beamer
March 31, 2005, 11:04 PM
Carnegie Mellon U has the most beautiful place to play tape tennis in summer time. They have this concrete walk way ( our pitch ) cutting through this lush green but trimmed grass field in the middle of their campus. Its symmetrical, big and beats the synthetic turf that we play on sometimes. Can't wait for summer!

fwullah
March 31, 2005, 11:37 PM
I think it was fwullah. She is pissed because the quality of articles in banglacricket gone down.

Comeon, I don't even get the time to write a few lines these days! Let alone write a whole paragraph! :pig:

Orpheus
April 1, 2005, 12:19 AM
so you got married and we werent' even invited. Don't worry, give it a year - you will be back. :D

Rubu
April 1, 2005, 12:28 AM
once i'd 3 sixes at a row!!!!!

unfortunately, all of the 3 other i was playing with started yelling, pocch-cha, poch-cha and did not even let me move my guti :(

Sham
April 1, 2005, 12:31 AM
What a thread!!

couger
April 1, 2005, 01:18 AM
Show off!!

...not at all really, that was actually one of the lowest individualy scores there. We played in a high school basketball court with tennis ball, 5 a side. 4s and 6s were so abundant that we almost lost track. Off course I usually don't mention that, only my century!! And someday when I tell this story to my kids I will of course carefully avoid mentioning the size of the venue.

couger
April 1, 2005, 01:22 AM
BTW, both sides batted three innings each...............

Ahmed_B
April 1, 2005, 01:26 AM
Hmm... 'Nirman School Cricket' had been the country's sensation at the junior level for ages! Stars from Nirman were highly valued and they used to come up in national arena in time... specially through the College/University teams.

But it seems to have completely disappeared at the moment.. what happened to it? And the strength of the University teams are also missing. :duh:

The only countrywide school cricket tourny currently played is 'Standard Chartard School Cricket'.

cricket_pagla
April 1, 2005, 01:48 AM
:cool: atlast some real stories :clap:

Sham
April 1, 2005, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by couger
Show off!!

...not at all really, that was actually one of the lowest individualy scores there. We played in a high school basketball court with tennis ball, 5 a side. 4s and 6s were so abundant that we almost lost track. Off course I usually don't mention that, only my century!! And someday when I tell this story to my kids I will of course carefully avoid mentioning the size of the venue.

I was just pulling your leg. No need to justify yourself!

Arnab
April 1, 2005, 04:43 AM
Well, I scored a massive 142 n.o. in a tricky, very tricky indoor gym. It was like squash, you only got boudaries if you hit certain parts of the wall or over some imaginary line. And there were no singles.

People got bored at the latter stage of my innings.

I hit another memorable innings, this was a half century on the Kuakata beach on a lazy afternoon. We played under a dying sun. I got out when I went for a cut over the point; the setting sun on the horizon across the sea, on my offside, was shining directly into my eyes.

Edited on, April 1, 2005, 9:48 AM GMT, by Arnab.

James90
April 1, 2005, 04:46 AM
I remember hitting a few centuries at school and boring people to death :D Hit a double in the backyard aswell, now the standard of backyard cricket has improved greatly and under the new rules and regulations my highest score is 46 :(

Hasib
April 1, 2005, 04:52 AM
hmm... lets c... in what i call "proper" cricket i have never got out...beat that ppl.

In another form of cricket i hit 6 6s in an over!! beat that too!! In fact I have hit plenty of 6s in this form of the game.

Bet NONE of u can match those true facts with other true facts!! ;)

Well, can't really get out if you've never played. And as for stick cricket, most people who have played enough times has hit six 6s! So, while it might not be possible to better your record, one can surely 'match' them with 'other true facts!'

Edited on, April 1, 2005, 12:57 PM GMT, by Sham.

cricket_pagla
April 1, 2005, 06:25 AM
:down: I got a hatrick with my off-spin (2-caught behind, last 1-bold).. in a practice match with my varsity friends!

AsifTheManRahman
April 1, 2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Beamer
Carnegie Mellon U has the most beautiful place to play tape tennis in summer time. They have this concrete walk way ( our pitch ) cutting through this lush green but trimmed grass field in the middle of their campus. Its symmetrical, big and beats the synthetic turf that we play on sometimes. Can't wait for summer!

we have something similar here in waterloo, except that i'm yet to play on it.

i've scored several half centuries in 5/6 over matches against second division and nirman bowlers on decent sized grounds...however, being a bangladeshi, i had the "stop after scoring a 50" syndrome and have very few hundreds (of course not in 5 over matches but longer ones).

bowling - i kinda suck at it, although i did have some success at times.

Sham
April 1, 2005, 04:27 PM
You scored several half centuries in 5/6 over matches? Damn, we should start calling you Viv Richards from now on! Or would you prefer Virender Sehwag?

couger
April 1, 2005, 04:32 PM

I was just pulling your leg. No need to justify yourself!

oh no, i wasn't trying to justify anything, just thaught it was an amusing story.

AsifTheManRahman
April 1, 2005, 05:18 PM
You scored several half centuries in 5/6 over matches? Damn, we should start calling you Viv Richards from now on! Or would you prefer Virender Sehwag?

haha...those were the days...haven't held a cricket bat for quite a few years now...i'll probably suck big time if told to now. :)

RazabQ
April 1, 2005, 10:08 PM
whoa - 50ish scores in 5-6 over with a proper cricket ball involved? Dayamn! I mean it's relatively easy to do in tape-tennis but proper grounds and ball .. color me impressed - now I know where "TheMan" in your appellation comes from.

Sham
April 2, 2005, 11:19 PM
You were a bit of a strike hogger weren't you? If you had to score 10 runs an over yourself to get to 50 in 5, did your batting partner even get to face a ball? Poor chap!