View Full Version : WC 2007: SL & IND in our group, not NZ

fwullah
April 1, 2005, 07:13 AM
GROUP 2:
Sri Lanka (2)
India (8)
Bangladesh (11)
ICC Trophy qualifier (4)

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4291193.stm)

James90
April 1, 2005, 07:18 AM
I would have prefered to play New Zealand but I think our best chance of getting through would be beating India and Qualifier 4. Although Sri Lanka might be a really poor side in 2007. They might have contract disputes and end up like Zimbabwe, too early to say really.

fwullah
April 1, 2005, 09:00 AM
Well, both India and Sri Lanka have the experience of being beaten by minnows in world cup (Ken bt SL last world cup & ZIM bt IND once).

But I was preferring to win over New Zealand rather than India because of some of the ground conditions of West Indies, which is like similar to those of Bangladesh - the occassional low bounce, and some balls may bounce - or you could say uneven bounce, like we're watching in the on-going SA-WI test match.

Since both India and Sri Lanka have low bouncy tracks, so their average batsman are pretty accustomed to the low bounce, as are our players. In such a situation, New Zealand would have been a whole lot better than Sri Lanka.

Ahmed_B
April 1, 2005, 09:04 AM
Hmm... two opponents with relatively lesser weak points.. and both of them are more or less consistant.

Tough group.

cricket_pagla
April 1, 2005, 09:20 AM
:lol: mayb u r all thinkin' about oponents!.. while i'm dreaming.. who's going to face us on the final..;)

Rubu
April 1, 2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by cricket_pagla
:lol: mayb u r all thinkin' about oponents!.. while i'm dreaming.. who's going to face us on the final..;)

why? brasil. they are always the finalist and won the WC 4 times. ;)

Cricket46
April 1, 2005, 10:23 AM
fwullah, if you are referring to the WC83, then Zimbabwe did not beat India. They came very close having India 17/5 before Kapil scored 175. However, I am not sure if they beat India at some other WC.

Originally posted by fwullah
Well, both India and Sri Lanka have the experience of being beaten by minnows in world cup (Ken bt SL last world cup & ZIM bt IND once).

But I was preferring to win over New Zealand rather than India because of some of the ground conditions of West Indies, which is like similar to those of Bangladesh - the occassional low bounce, and some balls may bounce - or you could say uneven bounce, like we're watching in the on-going SA-WI test match.

Since both India and Sri Lanka have low bouncy tracks, so their average batsman are pretty accustomed to the low bounce, as are our players. In such a situation, New Zealand would have been a whole lot better than Sri Lanka.

Shehwar
April 1, 2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
Originally posted by cricket_pagla

why? brasil. they are always the finalist and won the WC 4 times. ;)

Brazil actually won it 5 times....However thats not the point here.....I have a feeling we'll probably get Ireland in our group apart from India and Srilanka..cheers...