PDA

View Full Version : Northamptonshire: Our 3rd opponent on ENG tour

fwullah
April 3, 2005, 01:02 PM
Is that Simon Jones, Martin Love in the line up below?

2005 Squad

U Afzaal
+GL Brophy
JF Brown
PS Coverdale
CM Goode
TB Huggins
PS Jones
RE King
J Louw
ML Love
MS Panesar
BJ Phillips
C Pietersen
TW Roberts
*DJG Sales
BM Shafayat
MH Wessels
AR White
RA White
DG Wright

Northamptonshire (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/NATIONAL/ENG/FC_TEAMS/NORTHANTS/)

jeesh
April 3, 2005, 01:12 PM
I think so, but the scary name there is Pieterson. But y C? Kevin Pieterson right? Anyway i feel they are easier opponents than Surrey. Lets hope we can win and gain some confidence before the first test.

cricman
April 3, 2005, 01:36 PM
can someone merge the three posts into one?

Trueblue
April 3, 2005, 05:17 PM
Kevin Pieterson is with Hampshire and Simon Jones is still with Glamorgan.

Akib
April 3, 2005, 05:21 PM
jeesh.... we are not playing Surrey at all in this series. Its Sussex.

Huda
April 4, 2005, 01:11 AM
no that is perter jones

Shehwar
April 4, 2005, 07:25 AM
Hmm....decent squad......Usman Afzaal in particular is a decent fast bowler but we shud be able to handle em pretty well...cheers....

cricket_pagla
April 4, 2005, 07:49 AM
if we play gud against them, we can bring our confidence in a new level!.. :lol:
:fanflag:

James90
April 4, 2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Shehwar
Hmm....decent squad......Usman Afzaal in particular is a decent fast bowler but we shud be able to handle em pretty well...cheers....
Afzaal's a batsman. David Sales could be dangerous on anyday and Martin Love has a test century against Bangladesh. The one person in that squad I'll be particularly interested in is Damian Wright.

Northants are one of the weaker 1st division teams so it should be interesting

Shehwar
April 4, 2005, 08:46 AM
He is ?.......I thought he was a Pakistani origin lanky tall seamer.....newayz...must have messed him up with someone else.....

TheWatcher
May 17, 2005, 11:47 AM
Forget what happened today. We should be able to do better against this team as James said this is one of the weakest county sides.

I still say no need to throw the full strength, rest Bashar, Masri, Rajib and give Munir a chance.

BTW, can anyone tell us about the Northant ground? It would better if it is seaming.

Edited on, May 17, 2005, 5:17 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

bd_cricket
May 17, 2005, 02:04 PM
Didn't we play on this ground in WC99?

Beamer
May 17, 2005, 02:08 PM
bd_cricket

Invoking memory of WC'99 is a dangerous propsotion under the volatile climate of post Sussex syndrome. I can hear the drumbeats for Chacha alreday...

Beamer
May 17, 2005, 02:08 PM
proposition..

Akib
May 17, 2005, 07:46 PM
I think we beat Pakistan on this pitch.

TheWatcher
May 17, 2005, 07:55 PM
Can anyone from UK tell us about the pitch? According to cricinfo (http://content.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57207.html), it is a batting track. But from the history, I am assuming once while medium pacers find plenty of swing here.

Edited on, May 18, 2005, 1:18 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.

Sham
May 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Shehwar
He is ?.......I thought he was a Pakistani origin lanky tall seamer.....newayz...must have messed him up with someone else.....

Yep, he is a left-handed batsman (has played Test cricket for England) and inform at that. So is Bilal Shafayat. Sales the captain is a very good batsman who likes to hit big hundreds and Martin Love can definitely play! Haven't seen Wright before he is supposed to be quickish.

In any case, strength of the opposition should hardly be our worry at this point with England less than 10 days away. Our players have to apply themselves properly, which means the bowlers bowling a disciplined line and our batsmen getting the basics right.

Edited on, May 18, 2005, 1:19 AM GMT, by Sham.

TheWatcher
May 17, 2005, 08:27 PM
Crap! Another nata batsman who is also an SLA:(

Some comments from cricinfo about Afzaal- "Well organised and at his best against pace, he straight-drives like an angel, even if the rest of his game wouldn't gain many points for artistic merit. He dreams of being an allrounder, but at the moment his left-arm spin acts mostly as a partnership-breaker. His talents don't extend to the field where he most resembles a bear at an aerobics class."

Anyway, BD boys better get their acts together against lefties this time since they have to face Struass, Tresco, Thorpe, and Giles pretty soon.

Edited on, May 18, 2005, 2:06 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.

amim
May 17, 2005, 11:24 PM
Mashrafe clean bowled Martin Love for 0 but that ball was a jaffia. Anyway Martin only faced 1 ball and left without scoring but then next innings he scored a hundred ( or close to 100) not out.

So he would be careful.

MarvinDaMartian
May 18, 2005, 04:56 AM
Usmaan Afzaal is dating Amrita Arora(?). And he is scoring very well.

The lanky Asian-origin bowler for Northants is Billal Shafayat.

Zephaniah
May 18, 2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by MarvinDaMartian

Bilal Shafayat is a bowler! Outrageous misinformation!

Bilal is regarded as future batting prospect for England. He already scored a 150+ innings in a county match this year and was captain of several age group teams. Last time he lead the England U-19 team in subcontinent, he lead by example.

MarvinDaMartian
May 18, 2005, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Zephaniah
Originally posted by MarvinDaMartian

Bilal Shafayat is a bowler! Outrageous misinformation!

Bilal is regarded as future batting prospect for England. He already scored a 150+ innings in a county match this year and was captain of several age group teams. Last time he lead the England U-19 team in subcontinent, he lead by example.

Thukku Zephaniah, thanks for pointing it out. I mixed up Sajid Mahmud with Bilal Shafayat

BanCricFan
May 18, 2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
[quote]Originally posted by Shehwar
Northants are one of the weaker 1st division teams so it should be interesting

I don't think Northants will play their best XI against us either. If they do, they will be far too strong for our "experimental" side - I mean, if we decide to rest a few key players.

Our bowlers better get their acts together, otherwise, they will be taken to the cleaners if Love, Usmaan and Shafayat play.

As for our batting, well, could they play any worse?! They should be more acclimatised by now . I have mentioned this before and shall once again - they have to do the BASICS right! Approach the FC game as it should be and not like an ODI. Pace their innings and build partnerships and this can be done by taking singles or twos regularly, hence, keeping the scoreboard ticking. Evidently, some of our batters still think the only way to score runs is by hitting fours or even sixes. They have a terrible habit of playing high-risk-ariel shots. Ashraful, Rajin and Aftab all got out in that fashion!

I like to conclude by quoating an Islamic maxim here. The Prophet was once asked to describe the quality of a good believer and he said, " ...someone who doesn't get bitten from the same hole twice". Obviously, he was pointing to learning from the mistakes and urging not to make the same mistake twice. I think, like in all walks of life, our batsmen should make this maxim their moto.

roaring tigerz
May 18, 2005, 10:48 AM
to me the worrying aspect of our batting is that most of our batters are desperately short of runs. nafis iqbal has failed to convert his 30 and 40s into substantial scores and more worryingly everytime he has been out playing injudicious shots. rajin and aftab two certainties in our lineup before the tour began, have done everything to force whatmore to think about giving someone else an opportunity. ashraful has again followed one flamboyant innings with a string of exasperating ones. nafees has not done anything to suggest he can handle the hostile hoggard, harmison and co. bashar looked in fine fettle against BU but his injury deprived him of some much needed practice against more testing opposition.javed omar, our supposedly weak link before the series began, is the only batsman whose preparation has been going according to plan till now. hopefully all our batsmen can turn the situation around in our 3rd practice match.

Edited on, May 18, 2005, 3:48 PM GMT, by roaring tigerz.

Edited on, May 18, 2005, 3:49 PM GMT, by roaring tigerz.

Zephaniah
May 18, 2005, 03:46 PM
Check this out!

http://www.sussexcricket.tv/movie_highlights.php?a=197

TheWatcher
May 18, 2005, 04:14 PM
Zeph what are trying to say? We are not playing Nottinghamshire, it is Northamptonshire.