PDA

View Full Version : McInnes appointed senior coach at Centre of Excellence

Hasib
April 6, 2005, 06:11 AM
Cricinfo staff

April 6, 2005

Richard McInnes has been appointed senior coach at Australia's Centre of Excellence in Brisbane. McInnes, who has already worked at the Australian Academy, joins four other senior coaches Dene Hills, Brian McFadyen, Steve Jenkin and Jamie Siddons - to complete the set-up. Siddons will manage the centre's cricket programs under the head coach Tim Nielsen.

The appointment of McInnes marks a return to his native Australia; in the interim he had a successful stint as Bangladesh's high performance manager, a position he held since 2003. The highlight of his tenure was steering the Under 19 side to success in the World Cup plate final in March 2004.

But his time with Bangladesh was not without controversy: he allegedly threatened a journalist in February 2003 after a barrage of questions in one press conference suggesting his contract should be terminated and asking about his statement that there were only three qualified coaches in the country. But he apologised to the media in an official press release soon afterwards, and good relations were restored in the following weeks with success in the plate.

Cricinfo

Source: Cricinfo (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/APR/223873_AUS_06APR2005.html)

PoorFan
April 6, 2005, 06:19 AM
Is that means, he is going to leave our team???
If it's true, then it's a big blow for BD I think.:(

Shish Ahmed
April 6, 2005, 06:26 AM
Is this official, is Richard McIness going to leave. Maybe the coach can give us some news.

It will be sad to see him go as he has done an excellent job with the U19 boys.

Sham
April 6, 2005, 06:30 AM
Well, if it is true, then all we can do is to congratulate Richard and wish him the best of luck at his new post. We are going to feel his loss but he has to do what is right for him. Hopefully he will still continue to visit us on this forum!

guy_zin
April 6, 2005, 07:14 AM
if its official then bcb should observe (or go in to deep mourning) onirdishto kaal for the sudden demise (!!) of our beloved observer .

just hoping ..the news is yet another crap from the crapinfo.

Hasib
April 6, 2005, 07:40 AM
its also on the msn website.

btw... i came across it coz i searched google news for news of the under 19s...looking for the scedual....anyone know it?

akabir77
April 6, 2005, 07:46 AM
Can'T we offer him a better option???

Richard think of this - if u go back home you have to mow your loan and wash your dishes, drv your car where as i bet you have several people doing that for you now..... DON'T GO WE NEED YOU MORE THAN AUSI NEEDS YOU....

Shish Ahmed
April 6, 2005, 08:18 AM
On the other hand i can understand if he does decide to go as he has a little boy named Jack and he may put family first.

But let's hope he does decide to stay.

Mahmood
April 6, 2005, 08:20 AM
Great loss for Bangladesh, however, Richard has to do whats best for his career.

If he does choose to leave us, we wish him all the success in life. He has been a great coach for Bangladesh.

Hasib
April 6, 2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah he already has done us a lotta service...

Richard if you are reading this...good luck... but do make sure the U19 team wins the series against the aussie u19s won't u mate? ;) and please do keep visiting us!

chinaman
April 6, 2005, 08:36 AM
Congratulations to McInnes. He has been a brilliant coach, manager and admin for us. We will sure miss him big time if he indeed has to leave us.

Hope to see him again in Bangladesh.

All the best wishes.

Hasib
April 6, 2005, 09:03 AM
I was talking to my cousin on MSN (if u r a staff...Tanvir Bhaia) and he is saying he hasnt decided yet... he will at the end of the contract

mahbubH
April 6, 2005, 09:04 AM
This news came from nowhere. Bangladesh will surely miss him. He did a good job in grooming our talents in last few years.

I am just hoping that he big one will stay with us till 2007 and on.

fwullah
April 6, 2005, 09:18 AM
And I was kinda hoping that if or when Dav leaves after the world cup 2007, McInnes could be a perfect replacement for us for the years to come.

Hasib
April 6, 2005, 09:34 AM
Who knows...after finishing with the cricket acadamy he may be back again... (i really hope so if he leaves)

RazabQ
April 6, 2005, 09:42 AM
The best pipeline BD cricket has ever had might go away? Sigh! I mean I'm happy for Coach. He's done a lot and deserves all the success he gets. And if this is best for his family then so be it. But all of a sudden I'm worried about who will fill in his oversized shoes.

Richard - Congrats. And as Robert Plant says in D'yer Mak'er "... you don't have to go! Baby, please.. don't go! ..."

AsifTheManRahman
April 6, 2005, 10:19 AM
Congrats coach! Wish you good luck!

Guys - we cant hold on to him forever. It'll be our own failure if we can't continue from where he's left off.

Edited on, April 6, 2005, 3:20 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Reason: typo

Carte Blanche
April 6, 2005, 10:39 AM
Yes, congrats coach.

Now the question is, who is going to fill in his shoes? Does anyone know of possible replacements? Personally I'd like to see another Aussie in that post, not just to maintain the legacy of Aussie coaches - iit seems to rub off some of the Aussie doggedness in our boys.

Huda
April 6, 2005, 10:47 AM
Sad news. Im sure the coach will leave soem comments here. but good luck sir, you have been one of the positives for bd cricket in recent times

cricket_pagla
April 6, 2005, 10:53 AM
:up: congrats coach!..good luck on ur next assignment!... u r one of the best coaches that BD had! (if this news is true)!:yawn:

pagol-chagol
April 6, 2005, 10:58 AM
Lets get Mohsin Kamal Back!

:P

We'll miss you Coach. Thanks.:bravo:

Edited on, April 6, 2005, 4:00 PM GMT, by pagol-chagol.

Sham
April 6, 2005, 11:00 AM
You mean Mohsin Kamal! Oh man, why did you have to remind me of that loser?

Carte Blanche
April 6, 2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah let's bring him back and forget everything we learned in the last 2 years.

Rubu
April 6, 2005, 12:06 PM
first off, congrat coach. good luck on your career.

secondly, we are gonna miss u a lot. hope u can recomand someone for your possition. because the PHU and the way it worked was one of the best thing happened to bangladesh. how many player it created in such a short time is amusing. the process must not stop and since u know most about it, u would be the best person to recomand someone to take over you.

last but not least, dont forget bc. we consider u the most valuable member of the site, and u'll remain so.

Mahmood
April 6, 2005, 12:53 PM
I am seriously hoping he will stay. Consider these...

1. He is in a bigger role in BD, better for his career.
2. He has a bigger chance to show success, better for his career.
3. Expectations are high in Australia, harder to make people happy. BD on the other hand, started from the bottom, he can make more progress for BD. That also looks better on his resume.
4. Lastly, (many may disagree), he has made a sloid ground in Bangladesh and impress all of us. He may become National Coach after Whatmore era.

Regardless, these conditions are right or wrong, I have my fingers crossed, the coach will stay.

Edited on, April 6, 2005, 5:54 PM GMT, by Rajputro.

DotBall
April 6, 2005, 01:11 PM
Congrates to coach :joy:
It will be a loss for our high performance squade. At least one more year would have been fruteful for BD cricket. He started some good trend for our youngster and I hope McInnes has also trained his understudies to carry on course.

cricket_pagol
April 6, 2005, 02:10 PM
Congrat to our Coach... he has to move with life. I do hope that he decides to stay in BD. It will be very hard to find someone who is good enough to fill his shoes in Bangladesh cricket.

chinaman
April 6, 2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro
I am seriously hoping he will stay. Consider these...

1. He is in a bigger role in BD, better for his career.
2. He has a bigger chance to show success, better for his career.
3. Expectations are high in Australia, harder to make people happy. BD on the other hand, started from the bottom, he can make more progress for BD. That also looks better on his resume.
4. Lastly, (many may disagree), he has made a sloid ground in Bangladesh and impress all of us. He may become National Coach after Whatmore era.

Regardless, these conditions are right or wrong, I have my fingers crossed, the coach will stay.

Please stay. We need you. We regard you way more than just a "senior coach at Centre of Excellence".

al
April 6, 2005, 07:43 PM
:down: for Bangladesh. But MInnes did his time.
Like everybody he has the right to move on unless BD counter offers him. I believe, the BD media might not have appreciated him at the beginning so as some of the older national players.

bourny3
April 6, 2005, 08:15 PM
Congratulations to him. He has done awesome things for BD cricket and now he is going home. I hope he comes on here and tells us about his Australian job.

thebest
April 6, 2005, 08:49 PM
I hope this is just an april fool joke though late

Sher_e_bangla
April 6, 2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by akabir77
Can'T we offer him a better option???

Richard think of this - if u go back home you have to mow your loan and wash your dishes, drv your car where as i bet you have several people doing that for you now..... DON'T GO WE NEED YOU MORE THAN AUSI NEEDS YOU....

Great option, Kabir! Really, if you leave, Richard, you will miss this heaven.

couger
April 7, 2005, 12:30 AM
Congratulations. We'll surely miss him. His service was invaluable. Good luck McInnes. I hope he stays with us in BC.

Ahmed_B
April 7, 2005, 03:10 AM
Surely a bad news for the HP program and the young tigers. MacInnes was doing a great job with them. But congratulations to him on his promotion also.. he deserves it fully.

On the other hand, it seems MacInnes himself doesn't have any choice about it. Because BCB probably runs the HP program with the assistance from the Aussi Cricket Board and who will Head the program is probably a matter of decision by the Aussies... as also it is about what they are willing to do about their Trainers, when to promote/replace someone. So, probably, if the Aussi board needs him back neither BCB nor MacInnes himself has a choice out here I think.

Thanks to RM once more for the heart he showed for our young tigers! :up:

fab
April 7, 2005, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Hasib btw... i came across it coz i searched google news for news of the under 19s...looking for the scedual....anyone know it? DS mentioned that they will play against Au - U19 in Brisbane on April 12 and 13. Personally, I think it is top secret (if they tell us they'd have to kill us) ; they don't want any fans present :E I called QLD cricket and they didn't know anything about it but instead directed me to the Centre of Excellence who are not answering the phone...

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 8:19 AM GMT, by fab.

mwrkhan
April 7, 2005, 03:51 AM
I have an idea!! When Whatmore and McInnes leave us we can replace them with Mohsin Kamal and Mohinder Amarnath our own "Two M's".

Hasib
April 7, 2005, 04:02 AM
fab...any idea which ground?

a reason for keeping it secret is maybe they dont want the fans to harass him becoz of this news... but i doubt that wud hav happened even if they did realise the scedule... i mean look at this thread... i dont c any angry fans here...

observer
April 7, 2005, 04:35 AM
as you are all by now aware, i have accepted a position with the Cricket Australia Centre of Excellence in Brisbane. This provides a great opportunity for me to further develop my coaching. There are obviously also family issues behind returning to Australia, with now two young children to consider.

I have enjoyed many aspects of my time in Bangladesh and will return at the completion of this U19 tour to complete some final tasks before commencing work in Brisbane on June 6.

The almost 2 years i have spent in Bangladesh have been extremely challenging on a number of fronts, but at the same time there have been some very rewarding times as well. It is a very difficult work environment and there is so much work to be done, before real progress can be seen, that it is very draining both physically and mentally. This has also been a factor in my decision to return to Australia.

Bangladesh does have a bright future and i am sure that the coaches i have been working with in Fahim, Ratan, Imran, Salauddin and the remainder will be able to continue the work we have started. The culture of cricket is starting to change, but this needs constant reinforcement. The culture of an organisation is the collection of the individual behaviours of all those within it, therefore every player that comes through the youth and HP Program is responsible for changing the culture of domestic cricket in Bangladesh, (an essential ingredient in international success)

I will continue to monitor the progress of the Bangladesh players and team and will continue to have contact with the BCB through my role in Brisbane.

Thanks for your support during the past 2 years and continue to support your team, with realistic aims but grand dreams.

Cheers
Richard

observer
April 7, 2005, 04:38 AM
Forgot to mention, the current U19 practice tour is has not been organised through Cricket Australia or through Qld Cricket. It is merely a practice tour prior as part of our WC 206 preparation. We are playing against the Aust U19 training squad, and then a series of Regional Qld Academy of Sport squads as we move north through Qld. We will also play some senior country representative teams in North Qld

I will post scores regularlyu

Sham
April 7, 2005, 04:43 AM
Richard, let me again congratulate you and wish you the very best as you move on to your new assignment. I am sure you've made your decision after weighing all the factors and I hope it turns out to be the right one for you. We all greatly appreciate your contribution to Bangladesh cricket and it is good to know that the experience has been rewarding for you as well. Take care and do drop in here to tell us how things are getting on with you. Best of luck!

bdboy
April 7, 2005, 05:38 AM
We are loosing a very very professional coach - when we need more honest, truly professional one in our side to help bd cricket.

Any way good luck if the news is true.

Hasib
April 7, 2005, 05:55 AM
Thatnks for ur response Richard and i wish u good luck. But please do visit this forum from time to time.

btw... Could we please have a complete scedule with locations?

Thanks!

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 09:07 AM
Congrates to coach.

However a sad day for BD cricket fans. I was hoping sometime in future McInnes will replace Dav when most of the national players will be familiar with coach McInnes coaching style (while playeing for u-19).

But who knows, it can still happen in future.

AsifTheManRahman
April 7, 2005, 09:13 AM
well, the guy has two children to take care of...so he's gotta do what he's gotta do...and we gotta do what we gotta do too - carry on from where he left off.

once again, congrats coach! hope you do well on your new assignment :)

bhobishshot
April 7, 2005, 09:23 AM
Congratulation! You will surely be missed by Bangladesh cricket. I am glad to see that you will continue to have contacts with BCB and hope will have positive influence in Bangladesh cricket. Hopefuly, we will have cricketers trained in Australia by the truck load since we have an insider now ;). I am also hoping you will have some influence in back filling the HP manager position. Once again, congratulations and wish you all the best.

deshibhai
April 7, 2005, 10:26 AM
It is too bad Richard McInnes is leaving.
So who is next? Before Richard's appointment, there was some talk of Kepler Wessels coaching the BD U19 team. Does anyone know what he is up to these days?

chyicarus
April 7, 2005, 02:57 PM
Coach,- my only request will be to keep on logging onto the webstie and share your thoughts about various cricketing/non-cricketing issues from all over the world.
Now that you're no longer going to be BD's HP coach- you can also write about the problems you faced with the management and what needs to be fixed in an indirect manner- not naming any names!
Also you input into world cricket would be interesting to me and the members.
I hope you leave BD with a million friends and know that your input is regarded highly and that we are all supporting you in life- no matter what profession you're in!

rafiq
April 7, 2005, 10:48 PM
Coach:

thanks for all your tremendous work and for toughing it out the last couple of years! Thanks for all the input to this board...you will be missed! Good luck...

Zobair
April 7, 2005, 10:50 PM
Congratulations and best of luck. You are always welcome here. Regardless of where you end up you will always have a place amongst the Banglacricket fans.

From a big fan of yours.

RazabQ
April 8, 2005, 01:12 AM
Coach, there's a Rafi song I'm thinking of .. "kabhi al bida na kahna" - basically, a sentimental way of saying Au Revoir.

We wish you the best. Keep in touch, and know that in your own way, you have made an invaluable contribution to Bangladesh's cricket legacy

Another big fan of yours.

MarvinDaMartian
April 8, 2005, 02:11 AM
McInnes is leaving, I think so is Whatmore!

I hope Mcinnes still visit us here from time to time. He had to take the decision based on his priority. As a young 30 year old coach, he will have long, nice successful career. I hope.

I am not sure how ready BCB is for this. But as a professional body, they need to anticiptae changes like this and should always have some sort of PLan B.

IanW
April 8, 2005, 03:43 AM
One point that people should remember is that other up-and-coming young coaches will see Richard McInnes' promotion, and look at a stint in Bangladesh as a viable career option.

So it's not all bad ...

Ian Whitchurch

RazabQ
April 8, 2005, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by IanW
So it's not all bad ...

Ian Whitchurch

Ian, you know the lot of being a Bangladesh fan. Repeated jolts from life have left us in a permanent lugubrious mode. :)

Any up and comer from oz land we should be aware of? coaching wise i.e.

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 11:04 AM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: grammar