PDA

View Full Version : 5 Englishmen are Wisdens Cricketers of the Year.

Akib
April 6, 2005, 03:41 PM
The England cricket team, fresh from its triumphant 2004, makes a new slice of history today, when the 2005 edition of Wisden Cricketers' Almanack is published. For the first time in 45 years, all five Wisden Cricketers of the Year are English. This has happened only twice before since the Second World War: in 1953 and 1960. This year's Five are Ashley Giles, Steve Harmison, Robert Key, Andrew Strauss and Marcus Trescothick.
Available in shops tomorrow, this is the most up-to-date edition of the 142 that have appeared since the almanack's debut in 1864: it includes full reports of England's tour of South Africa, which finished only a week before the book went to press.

The tradition of choosing Five Cricketers, based on their "influence on the previous English season", dates back to 1889 and is the oldest award in cricket. By ancient tradition it can only be won by a player once. Among current England players, Andrew Flintoff and Michael Vaughan were both ineligible, as previous winners.

"We obviously considered a good many other players," said the editor, Matthew Engel, "but in a season when England won seven Tests out of seven, the case for these five was overwhelming." There have been six post-war years when no Englishmen at all were chosen.

However, England failed to capture Wisden's newest accolade: the Leading Cricketer in the World. First won last year by Ricky Ponting, the title has now passed to his fellow-Australian, Shane Warne, following his dramatic comeback from suspension over drugs.

Cricket writers and commentators from all the Test-playing countries are invited to make nominations for this honour, and 11 players were proposed, including three Englishmen: Flintoff, Strauss and Graham Thorpe. "At the start of 2004, Australia were wobbling a little," Engel said, "but by the end they were as dominant as ever. The biggest difference was the return of Warne." In 2000, Warne was named as one of Wisden's Five Cricketers of the 20th Century.

Australians also continue to dominate The Wisden Forty, the Almanack's listing of the world's leading players, based on their status and form in 2004. But a year ago there were 14 Australians in the list compared to 10 this time. England and India are their nearest rivals with six. The six Englishmen are Flintoff, Harmison, Strauss, Thorpe, Trescothick and Vaughan.

Does anyone know if this Award is only for Englishmen and Aussies. I mean Key, Treschostick and Giles. I doubt anyone would have picked these guys for this award.

I guess this award is only for Australia and England players.

Anyone know???

Tintin
April 6, 2005, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know if this Award is only for Englishmen and Aussies. I mean Key, Treschostick and Giles. I doubt anyone would have picked these guys for this award.

Only those who played in the English season are considered. That includes players of the visiting teams and the foreign cricketers who play for county teams.

Akib
April 6, 2005, 04:06 PM
Oh. I see now. Thanks Tintin.

James90
April 7, 2005, 05:12 AM
I'm surprised Michael Kasprowicz didn't get a mention, he played for Glamorgan didn't he? Maybe he's already won it, being Australian would be a disadvantage aswell