PDA

View Full Version : Pakistani cricket team attacked in India


Sultan
April 6, 2005, 07:13 PM
Stoning at bus carrying Pakistani cricketers in Jharkhand
(Updated at 0055 PST)

JHARKHAND: A group of unidentified persons threw stones at the bus carrying Pakistani cricketers outside the Ranjhi Airport on Wednesday.

Windowpane of the bus was broken while Pakistani Captain Inzamamul Haq narrowly escaped from injury.

After the attack, Pakistan team cancelled the practice schedule in Jamshedpur on Thursday.

Manager Pakistan Cricket Team Salim Altaf termed the attack deplorable.

link (http://jang.com.pk/thenews/apr2005-daily/06-04-2005/main/update.shtml#42)

al
April 6, 2005, 07:37 PM
:down: very sad and very bad for the region. Silence amonsgt crowd was also mentioned by one of the indian commentators-Sanjay M, I believe. It is sad, how much animosity is still there.

Tintin
April 6, 2005, 08:35 PM
This is what Jang says:


an unidentified person, from a big crowd which gathered near the airport, hurled a stone at the Pakistan team bus that narrowly missed the skipper.


Link (http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/apr2005-daily/07-04-2005/sports/s1.htm)

One person from a crowd threw a stone....



Edited on, April 7, 2005, 2:20 AM GMT, by Tintin.

Shehwar
April 6, 2005, 10:06 PM
absolutely shocking and completely opposite of what the Indian team received in Pakistan last year.....
SHOCKING!

ialbd
April 6, 2005, 11:23 PM
I hope the new IND-PAK relation wont be affected by this. This was very unexpected at this point.
________
How to make a vaporizer (http://howtomakeavaporizer.info/)

couger
April 7, 2005, 12:59 AM
I am actually quite dissapointed with the reception Pakistanis got (and getting) from the Indians. I'm not even considering this stone throwing incident. After that tremendous reception the Indians got in Pakistan I had hoped it would be reciprocated. Really sad.

Sultan
April 7, 2005, 04:41 AM
When the Indians came to Pakistan, the Pakistanis welcommed them with open arms, and waved Indian flags and cheered when India played good. But it was really opposite to what Pakistan has got in India. When a Pakistani hits a four, the crowd drops dead silent. But, it was different in Pakistan, we cheered them on.

Just shows the difference in mind-set, and hospitality.

insideedge
April 7, 2005, 06:17 AM
It is just a stray incident, caused due to inept security. I do not think this incidence reflects the mood of the Indian people towards Pakistan team. The relation between the people of two countries has improved considerably in the last two years.

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by insideedgeThe relation between the people of two countries has improved considerably in the last two years.

Agree

Originally posted by insideedge
It is just a stray incident, caused due to inept security.

You may wish itís a stray incident, however in my opinion itís not. You need some example?

1. Water Bottle incidents in Kolkata few years back.
2. Destroying the pitch
3. Threaten to destroy the pitch (couple of more time)
4. Announcing Zaved Miandad un-welcome in India
5. Even commentators were complaining that Indian supporters were not cheering a Pak players good shot.
6. And now lapse in security, even knowing that itís a high profile tour.

Plus what India did in the last tour? Played the 'Security' card and threatened to scrap the tour in the middle if there is any lapse of security.

Considering all of those, I don't think India deserve a 'benefit of doubt'. The bottom line is India (government as well as the citizen) needs to do a better job before they get my sympathy.



Edited on, April 7, 2005, 3:26 PM GMT, by Fazal.

al
April 7, 2005, 12:18 PM
India is getting western attention left and right. economically, they are growing very fast. There is a growing middle class. In the coming years, they will push thier neigbors to the limit to get more mileage. This is just the beginning. To get my sympathy, they have to act civil and treat smaller countries with respect and dignity

Rubayed
April 7, 2005, 12:31 PM
Its shocking, a complete opposite of what Indians got from Pakistanis last year! I hope they will treat Pakistanis better in the remaining 4 ODIs

Spitfire_x86
April 7, 2005, 01:16 PM
:down:

cricket_pagol
April 7, 2005, 01:19 PM
lets not make this into an issue.... however i do agree with fazal that a lot more is desired from India.

Akib
April 7, 2005, 04:39 PM
:down:

This is very sad considering how grasiously Pakistan welcomed India.... I hope this doesnt not happen again.

i agree with cricket_pagol that we shouldnt make this into a very big deal.

Ovi Khan
April 7, 2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Sultan
When the Indians came to Pakistan, the Pakistanis welcommed them with open arms, and waved Indian flags and cheered when India played good. But it was really opposite to what Pakistan has got in India. When a Pakistani hits a four, the crowd drops dead silent. But, it was different in Pakistan, we cheered them on.

Just shows the difference in mind-set, and hospitality.

You can't blame whole India for it. Can you? :-/

couger
April 8, 2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by al
India is getting western attention left and right. economically, they are growing very fast. There is a growing middle class. In the coming years, they will push thier neigbors to the limit to get more mileage. This is just the beginning.

What's this got to do with anything we're discussing here?

couger
April 8, 2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Ovi Khan

You can't blame whole India for it. Can you? :-/

Maybe not, but Fazal points are valid. And from now on one would hope India thinks twice before playing the "security" card repeatedly. They did that with Bangladesh as well. If anything the "security" issue is in India, not in neighboring countries.

couger
April 8, 2005, 12:13 AM
I would love to hear what DJ has to say about this. He's been missing in action since the start of the IndoPak series.

insideedge
April 8, 2005, 01:10 AM
Security has been tightened after this incident. As per newspaper reports, the teams will not travel by road in the return journey.

Shehwar
April 8, 2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by couger
...And from now on one would hope India thinks twice before playing the "security" card repeatedly. They did that with Bangladesh as well. If anything the "security" issue is in India, not in neighboring countries.

:up:

insideedge
April 8, 2005, 05:16 AM
The stone thrower has been arrested in this case. I hope the same can be said about the bomb hurlers who have caused disruption in other tours.

Fazal
April 8, 2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by insideedge
The stone thrower has been arrested in this case.

:up:Good to know that. I know that reasonable people of all sides will agree that this kind of individual/few individualsí activities should not be tolerated or encouraged.

And also credit to PAK team for not making this a big issue (so far).

couger
April 8, 2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by insideedge
The stone thrower has been arrested in this case. I hope the same can be said about the bomb hurlers who have caused disruption in other tours.

Can you give some examples? The only actual disruptions ever took place have been in India. The rest are all allegetions, and god only knows who made them up.

chinaman
April 8, 2005, 02:58 PM
Guys, please be patient and considerate. No need to roll the sleeves over unfortunate events. Let the authorities take care of it while we enjoy the game. Thank you.

rana
April 8, 2005, 04:21 PM
:down::yawn:

Ameer
April 9, 2005, 12:20 PM
Indians are by far the lousiest crowds. It's no suprise. There was even more incidents yesterday in Jamshedpur. I hope when they tour Pakistan next year they get the same hostile treatment. Last year the crowds went out of their way to kiss Indian @ss and now look at how the Indians repay.

I must say... not suprising at all. :down:

Sultan
April 10, 2005, 02:33 AM
Pakistan cricketers donate Rs 1 lakh for cancer patients

Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and his teammates visited the Tata Cancer Hospital in Jamshedpur on Thursday and donated a sume of Rs.100,000 for the welfare and medical treatment of the patients staying there.

All the players were unanimous in their view that there were so many more important things in life than the game of cricket.

"You go and meet these cancer stricken children and you wonder why all this fuss about a cricket series when there are so many other more important issues facing humanity, like finding a permanent cure for something tragic like cancer," Inzamam said in a pensive mood after the hour-long visit.

But for the young boys and girls in the childrens ward, meeting the Pakistani cricketers was a dream and cheered them up for the day.

Inzamam was visibly moved when he was introduced to a five-year-old child who has been given 20 more days to live after suffering from blood cancer.

Shahid Afridi proved a favourite with most of the patients and he cheered things up when he recalled some funny incidents from his career for the benefit of the avid listeners.

Shahid, whose father himself is very ill and bed ridden, was quoted by The News as saying that the visit to the hospital was the nicest thing the team could have done in India.

While Indians at Jamshedpur are throwing stones at our Cricketers ....Our players are donating money to help them ....

shujan
April 10, 2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Sultan
Pakistan cricketers donate Rs 1 lakh for cancer patients

Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and his teammates visited the Tata Cancer Hospital in Jamshedpur on Thursday and donated a sume of Rs.100,000 for the welfare and medical treatment of the patients staying there.

All the players were unanimous in their view that there were so many more important things in life than the game of cricket.

"You go and meet these cancer stricken children and you wonder why all this fuss about a cricket series when there are so many other more important issues facing humanity, like finding a permanent cure for something tragic like cancer," Inzamam said in a pensive mood after the hour-long visit.

But for the young boys and girls in the childrens ward, meeting the Pakistani cricketers was a dream and cheered them up for the day.

Inzamam was visibly moved when he was introduced to a five-year-old child who has been given 20 more days to live after suffering from blood cancer.

Shahid Afridi proved a favourite with most of the patients and he cheered things up when he recalled some funny incidents from his career for the benefit of the avid listeners.

Shahid, whose father himself is very ill and bed ridden, was quoted by The News as saying that the visit to the hospital was the nicest thing the team could have done in India.

While Indians at Jamshedpur are throwing stones at our Cricketers ....Our players are donating money to help them ....

Sultan all my good feeling got ruined by the last sentence. Why you had to do that?

Sultan
April 10, 2005, 02:41 AM
^ I did that because its the sad truth. The Indian crowd was throwing pots at our players yesterday, during the 3rd ODI. While back during India's tour of Pakistan, the crowd was hospitable, and very welcomming, we didn't throw pots or other perishable items at Indian cricketers, or attack there bus, but, instead we cheered for them, showing our love, and also a sign of friendship and peace.

But the hospitality given by the Indians is quite shocking. Where as, Pakistanis are donating there match fee for the cure of cancer patients.

It really makes me sad.

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 7:43 AM GMT, by Sultan.

shujan
April 10, 2005, 03:01 AM
Its the Pakistani players who are donating money not you. They are not sad why you?

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 8:03 AM GMT, by shujan.

couger
April 10, 2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Ameer
I hope when they tour Pakistan next year they get the same hostile treatment. Last year the crowds went out of their way to kiss Indian @ss and now look at how the Indians repay.

:down:

Wrong attitude my friend. What Pakistanis did then was proper. All of than would be negated if something were to happen to Indian players in Pakistan. Also, I don't think Pakistanis were kissing anything, they were simply happy to see cricket between the two countries.

chinaman
April 10, 2005, 12:46 PM
There is always other side of a coin. It is true that Pakistan made an example of hospitality towards India but not a fraction of it towards other countries, let alone Bangladesh. I'm sure India has been doing its best for the Pakistan too.

Is there a point to be boastfully inflated upon to brag continually? Did Pakistan stage that unprecedented hospitality only for the hope of a similar return? I don't think so.

Should India be more careful to avoid unpleasant events involving the Pakistani delegation? Of course, it should and to tell the truth, no matter how hard it is to ensure, India did fail to some degree to enforce what could be called strict security.

But we, here in banglacricket, will not tolerate these blame games. I already requested for peace earlier but some of you guys still continue to drag on.

Be careful of what you post in this thread. Try the 'blame game' one more time in any way or form and we will activate the remedial process to explore our options against the offender. Good luck.

insideedge
April 10, 2005, 08:34 PM
The behaviour of Jamshedpur spectators ( a section of it, not all, I hope) was boorish. Same was the case the last time one ODI was held here against West Indies in the past after which this place was not allotted ODIs for some time. It will be the right remedy not to allott an ODI match to this place in near future as it does not appear to be prepared to host them in a dignified manner.

It is very difficult to improve matters, and very easy to destroy them. Indians still remember the gracious behaviour of Pakistani fans the last time India visited there. I hope the few people advocating that Pakistani fans should stoop down to the levl of Jamshedpur crowd realize what they are advocating. Jamshedpur is one of the places where crowd is not well behaved, but what about the crowds of Mohali, Bangalore, Chennai etc.

People who are advocating Pakistanis to be boorish towards India will do a disservice to their country's good name. Do you think that the behaviour of Jamshedpur crowd has enhanced the reputation of India or that Indians are proud of such behavoiur? Not at all. Most Indians mush have hung their heads in shame watching the behaviour of this crowd.

Good people in both India and Pakistan have to continue their good work despite the behaviour of such rotten elements. There are people in India who have been doing as much for Pakistani patients as the Pakistani cricketers did for the Indian patients at Jamshedpur.

But it is not something that is to be used as a means to show one's moral superiority over the other. It defeats the very purpose of such humanitarian activities if one tries to seek credit for it and at the same time try to discredit the recipient of your generosity.

Edited on, April 11, 2005, 1:39 AM GMT, by insideedge.