PDA

View Full Version : Whatmore interested in India job

mahbubH
April 7, 2005, 07:08 AM
Bangladesh boss Dav Whatmore has told BBC Sport he is interested in taking over as India coach from John Wright.

Australians Whatmore, Greg Chappell and Tom Moody are reportedly in the running to replace Wright, who is set to quit after the one-dayers against Pakistan.

Worcestershire boss Moody refused to be drawn on the issue but Whatmore said: "They'd better make up their minds soon - my contract expires on 30 April.

"I'm a professional - of course I'd be interested in talking to the Indians."

Former Australia captain Chappell was shortlisted for the India job before Wright was appointed in 2000 - and he has the backing of captain Sourav Ganguly.

Moody said earlier this year that he would like to be considered for the England coaching position after Duncan Fletcher leaves.

Whatmore, who coached Sri Lanka to World Cup glory in 1996, was handed the Bangladesh job two years ago and oversaw their first ever Test win over Zimbabwe in January.

The former Test batsman revealed that talks over a new Bangladesh contract are at an advanced stage.

But he says he is not sure if he will sign the deal and admitted the challenge of coaching India "would excite me, absolutely".

"The BCB and I are in constant touch, we're not far away over a two-year contract but I don't know if I'll sign. I'll have to wait and see," he added.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has apparently ruled out the prospect of an Indian coach taking over from Wright.

It has been impressed with the progress made under the former New Zealand skipper since he became the country's first foreign coach.

Wright guided the team to the final of the 2003 World Cup and their first overseas Test series win in 11 years in Pakistan last year.

Indeed, the BCCI was hoping he would stay on until the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean, but Wright wants to return home for family reasons.

Source: BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/india/4420119.stm)

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 12:59 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 2:46 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

mahbubH
April 7, 2005, 07:16 AM
So DW will stay with BD team if he does not get the India job.

This is not usual to talk about other job openings while you are under contract. I read somewhere that John Wright is trying to get the job of South Africa but he never openly discussed this with some media like our DW.

I think no other coaches can do such except ours! :down::down:

dukha
April 7, 2005, 07:36 AM
Bhaiyera kisu money koiren nah ,,,,,,,, India jiboneu Whatmore rey nibo nah , Let him talk who gives a crap ... He is not gonna get the job in India ........ lol .If he goes then we bring "Steve Waugh" not to worry ,ok ...... So , don't talk rubbish .

fy288
April 7, 2005, 07:53 AM
I really hope Dav continues his excellent work with the BD team. But this guy is always on the look for bigger and more rewarding challenges so a switch to the india team is no way out of the question. He wants to make the india team the best team in the world, a dream he cant achieve with bd currently.

i really hope he doesnt leave BD who can we get to replace him?

little_master
April 7, 2005, 08:04 AM
I wonder whether this type of talking to media (by Dev) does not violate any code of contract to BCB!?!?:duh::-/

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 1:04 PM GMT, by little_master.

Ishtylish cricketer
April 7, 2005, 08:13 AM
Too bad I think Chapelly might get it!

dukha
April 7, 2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by fy288
I really hope Dav continues his excellent work with the BD team. But this guy is always on the look for bigger and more rewarding challenges so a switch to the india team is no way out of the question. He wants to make the india team the best team in the world, a dream he cant achieve with bd currently.

i really hope he doesnt leave BD who can we get to replace him?

Arey dhur Dev er chawa nah chawai kisu hoi naki ? Amader ekhon pankha gojaisey , amra urtey parie . Let him go , we bring "Steve Waugh" or "Ray Jennings" don't ya worry ......... Everyone will love "Ray jennings" caz it's not south africa team ........ lol .........:fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanf lag::fanflag::fanflag:

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 1:24 PM GMT, by dukha.

chinaman
April 7, 2005, 08:15 AM
Oh dear, not a good day for our cricket. Double shock for a fan like me.

Hasib
April 7, 2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by chinaman
Oh dear, not a good day for our cricket. Double shock for a fan like me.

yeah... i know wat u mean...

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 08:51 AM
I hope it’s not true.

Unfortunately it’s the name of the game.

Coaching India vs. Coaching Bangladesh? In terms of money, fame, challenge, status its a clear choice, we cannot blame Dav if he is offered and accept that job.

However we our BCB board is diligent with their selection process and pay decent money, who knows we can find another future Dav (or even better) in our new coach.

However I must admit, if it’s true, it will have a short devastating effect in BD cricket.

AsifTheManRahman
April 7, 2005, 09:31 AM
i don't believe that whatmore is the kind of guy who'd say what he did to the BBC so openly, unless something real bad has happened very recently between him and the cricket board. after all, we're talking about <i>our</i> sports officials here.

Ahmed_B
April 7, 2005, 09:33 AM
Belated April Fool?
Why isn't there any Source Link ? ;)

The comments made by Whatmore just seems to be too crude to be his own.

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 2:36 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Belated April Fool?
Why isn't there any Source Link ? ;)

The comments made by Whatmore just seems to be too crude to be his own.

Looks like its not belated April fool.:(

source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/india/4420119.stm)

Rubu
April 7, 2005, 09:44 AM
u know what, i don't trust Bissho Bikhato Chapa aka BBC completely. this could just be a report from a indian guy who wants dav as their coach.

someone talking so openly to media is very unusual while being in contact with another country.

Ahmed_B
April 7, 2005, 09:46 AM
hmm .. bad news then!
Just today I read in BD newspaper that Whatmore's contract is going to be extended for 2 years(made a Thread (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10738) about it)... and then this news on the same day!

Let's hope BCB takes straight action to keep Whatmore at any cost !!

Hasib
April 7, 2005, 10:01 AM
What r Chappel and Moody like? their coaching that is? past records etc

pagol-chagol
April 7, 2005, 10:02 AM
There is a 3rd bad news. - after McInnes & Whatmore.

India who has been looking for an allrounder since Kapil Dev retired has offerred Khaled Mahmud Indian Citizenship and a place in their test and one day squad.

Soon they will get their indebted bankrupt man's Abdur Razzak.

redstar
April 7, 2005, 10:08 AM
Whatmore must be unhappy with the contract. He's just using the India job to unsettle the BCB. He's not ready for the India job. He's only coached 'small' nations (Sri Lanka & B'desh). He needs to coach a middle-sized nations, like a New Zealand, to graduate to the 'Indias' of this world. He eventually wants the Aussie job, when Buchanen retires.

pagol-chagol
April 7, 2005, 10:12 AM
Whether he wants to go or not and I am sure he is capable of it, he would be a stupid not to use that as a contract leverage against BCCB.

Lets hope for the best. Both for our cricket and him.

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 11:16 AM
No chance for Whatmore.
The way Dada is batting, he will pretty sonn retire as a player and will be the next coach of India.

cricket_pagol
April 7, 2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
he would be a stupid not to use that as a contract leverage against BCCB.

I totally agree with you... I think he is playing with the media to get a leverage in terms of the contract. I don't think he will leave the team which he tried to build from the bottom, unless BCB treats him poorly. (which the people of BCB are definitely capable of)

Carte Blanche
April 7, 2005, 11:45 AM
As the report suggested, Chappell has Ganguly's backing. Being more experienced than Moody, I think Chappell will get the nod. No doubt it will be a great loss for us if Whatmore leaves, but he has the right to choose in the best interest of his career. I'm worried enough already over McInness leaving.

amra_korbo_joy
April 7, 2005, 12:04 PM
Since Dav has lost interest in coaching Bangladesh, we should not renew the contarct.

pagol-chagol
April 7, 2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by amra_korbo_joy
Since Dav has lost interest in coaching Bangladesh, we should not renew the contarct.

Thats one way of looking at it, but there are many other ways which you can't choose to ignore.

If the blind man touched the elephant's trunk he would think its a snake.

al
April 7, 2005, 12:12 PM
He said, he is a professional so offcourse he would be interested. That does not mean that, he will leave. Indians must have approached him during bangladesh tour. That's a fact of life. People switch jobs, he is no exception. I only question the timing.

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 5:20 PM GMT, by al.

israr
April 7, 2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by redstar
Whatmore must be unhappy with the contract. He's just using the India job to unsettle the BCB. He's not ready for the India job. He's only coached 'small' nations (Sri Lanka & B'desh). He needs to coach a middle-sized nations, like a New Zealand, to graduate to the 'Indias' of this world. He eventually wants the Aussie job, when Buchanen retires.
I agree with you in this

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 6:16 PM GMT, by israr.

Akib
April 7, 2005, 03:20 PM
I am hoping he extends his contract. If he doesnt i hope he stays on until england tour is done.

Spitfire_x86
April 7, 2005, 03:34 PM
Whatmore won't get the India job, since Dada won't like to work with a too dominative coach.

Sham
April 7, 2005, 03:37 PM

By what measure are Bangladesh and Sri Lanka small and New Zealand middle-sized? I can't think of any measure by which that would be true! If you are talking from a cricketing point of view, how is New Zealand larger than Sri Lanka? From a population point of view, BD is 30 times larger than New Zealand and from a cricketing enthusiasm and number of fans point of view, BD and SL are about 500 times bigger than rugby-playing New Zealand!

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 8:47 PM GMT, by Sham.

Sham
April 7, 2005, 04:33 PM
From the New Age:

Whatmore interested in India job
McInnes also quitting as high performance manager

MAHBUB ALAM KHAN

Bangladesh Cricket Board is set for a double disaster as national coach Dav Whatmore has confessed that he is interested to take charge of the India national team and high performance manager Richard McInnes informed the BCB that he has got a job in Australia.
Bangladesh coach Whatmore, who became a hero after the historic Test and one-day series win over Zimbabwe, agreed he is eager to handle the high profile Indian team.
‘Yes I am interested to take over the charge of Indian team. However, I have not yet received any official proposal to start negotiation with them,’ said the national coach to New Age.
When asked whether he will take up the Indian job before the Bangladesh tour of England, Whatmore said he did not know anything because it depends on how things go on.
Whatmore also refused to comment on whether it was monetary reason or any conflict with the BCB which influenced him to seek another job in other countries.
Last year Whatmore had said to New Age that his heart only belonged to Bangladesh cricket and he was interested to extent his contract until the next World Cup when rumour spread that Pakistan Cricket Board was interested to hire Whatmore sacking Javed Miandad after Pakistan lost the Test and one-day series to India at home last year.
‘I did not get an official proposal from the PCB then, so you can’t say that I refused them directly.
However, many things have changed and anything can influence me to alter my decision now,’ Whatmore told New Age.
BCB chief executive, Macky Dudhia, did not comment on this issue. He said the BCB is discussing with the national coach about extending his contract.
The coach recently visited India and Sri Lanka where he attended the wedding ceremony of Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan and the news broke out just three days after of his arrival to Bangladesh.
A report filed by BBC Sport also said that the Bangladesh coach is interested to take over as India coach from John Wright.
The report quoted Whatmore as saying, ‘They’d better make up their minds soon – my contract expires on April 30.
‘I’m a professional – of course I’d be interested in talking to the Indians.’
Whatmore guided Sri Lanka to victory in the 1996 World Cup. He took over the Bangladesh job two years ago.
Whatmore also told the BBC that he is not sure if he will sign the deal and admitted the challenge of coaching India ‘would excite me, absolutely’.
‘The BCB and I are in constant touch, we’re not far away over a two-year contract extension but I don’t know if I’ll sign. I’ll have to wait and see.’
The BCB informed its high performance manager and Under-19 coach Richard McInnes accepted a position at the Commonwealth Bank Centre of Excellence in Brisbane. He will begin his new career from June 1 after the Bangladesh Under-19 team’s current tour of Australia.
The BCB chief executive said they are negotiating with two veteran foreign coaches and one of them will replace McInnes.

Sham
April 7, 2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by amra_korbo_joy

I actually agree with this. I don't think his heart is in Bangladesh anymore. In most cases, coaches lobby to get their contract renewed. In this case, if he stays, it will be because things didn't work out with the Indian board. I don't want our team to be our coach's second choice! That is no good, no matter how good he is as a coach! I'd rather have a dedicated coach, even if he is not as good as Whatmore. Now I am not accusing Whatmore of not being dedicated, I am sure he gave his best to Bangladesh till now, but the whole India issue does suggest that he would probably rather leave BD at this point. Earlier today, I wrote in a different thread that I couldn't think of a good replacement for Whatmore. But if Whatmore is not heart and soul into his job as BD's coach, I think its better that we replace him with someone who will be!

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 9:40 PM GMT, by Sham.

Tintin
April 7, 2005, 04:46 PM
Whatmore won't get the India job, since Dada won't like to work with a too dominative coach.

I agree with that. But if some high profile guys like Greg Chappell becomes the coach and Ganguly picks up fights with him, considering Gangu's current form, he may get dropped instead of the coach.

Rubu
April 7, 2005, 04:53 PM
i dont understand this. when whatmore took over, bangladesh was in deep poop. he did all the hard work to bring the team to where it is now. if he waits a few more month (say 6 months or something) he will start to get harvest. why would he want to leave now? leaving a job unfinished doesn to match with his known charastaristic. either he had lost interest long time ago and just waited for the contact to come to and end or something else happened to make up his mind. but yeah, i agree with sham (a rare case? :) ) since his mind is not in the team anymore, we rather let him go and look for a good alternative.

who can be a good choice?

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 04:56 PM
I hope Dav stays upto 2007. However if he leaves, there are couple of people I would like BCB to consider as a preliminary candidate:

Greg Chappell
Robin Singh

[I am pretty sure I am missing a bunch of equally qualified candidates in my list.]

Sham
April 7, 2005, 05:04 PM
Robin Singh? God forbid!

Call me racist, but after Amarnath and Mohsin Kamal (don't forget his wingman Ali Zia), I have had it with sub-continental coaches. Rather have someone like Dave Houghton from Zimbabwe!

Rubu
April 7, 2005, 05:17 PM
brown skin people has problem with work ethics. i'm not gonna sound recial because i'm brown too and i dont have problem with black coach (WI) or white. the only brown coach i will be willing to take is waseem akram. this guy has proved many times that cricket comes first to him before politics or many other things. not to mention he was a genuis as a player and always a helping hand for anyone who ask for.

but if not waseem akram, go with another australian.

Tintin
April 7, 2005, 05:17 PM
South African coach Ray Jennings will be out of job in a few weeks. He is alright except that he is a little mad ;)

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Robin Singh? God forbid!

Call me racist, but after Amarnath and Mohsin Kamal (don't forget his wingman Ali Zia), I have had it with sub-continental coaches. Rather have someone like Dave Houghton from Zimbabwe!

I understand your fear.

However, as far as I know, he did a very good job with Indian u-19 team (grooming some very good players). I had read some very good comments in some articles about him (can't remember where though, Its a while ago).

May be Tintin or someone who follows Indian cricket can give us some feed back.

But again may be I was brainwashed by biased article... or may be we need coach outside from Indian sub-continent to be successful... who knows.

Fazal
April 7, 2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
brown skin people has problem with work ethics.

Dav is brown skin :P

Ovi Khan
April 7, 2005, 05:25 PM
Dev should not go now. We need him in our current state.

Ovi Khan
April 7, 2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
Originally posted by AgentSmith
brown skin people has problem with work ethics.

Dav is brown skin :P
He does not meant Dev. He means sub-continental ppls.

couger
April 7, 2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by dukha
Bhaiyera kisu money koiren nah ,,,,,,,, India jiboneu Whatmore rey nibo nah , Let him talk who gives a crap ... He is not gonna get the job in India ........ lol .If he goes then we bring "Steve Waugh" not to worry ,ok ...... So , don't talk rubbish .

Steve Waugh's not tested as a coach. BD cannot effort a gamle like this.

couger
April 7, 2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Robin Singh? God forbid!

I understand your fear.

However, as far as I know, he did a very good job with Indian u-19 team (grooming some very good players). I had read some very good comments in some articles about him (can't remember where though, Its a while ago).

May be Tintin or someone who follows Indian cricket can give us some feed back.

But again may be I was brainwashed by biased article... or may be we need coach outside from Indian sub-continent to be successful... who knows.

Actually, according to the senior BD players, like Bulbul, Athar and Akram both those two were horrible as coaches. They simply didn't know what they were doing and it is alleged that they were more like political appointees rather than actual coaches. But I doubt if that has anything to do with race or national origin.

Akib
April 7, 2005, 07:34 PM
I dont want Dav to go but if he does i hope him the best with his new team.... India......

I say his replacement should be either a experienced coach or someone who has a proven record in grooming young players into great players. Lets hope our new coach... if there is one will be just as successful and maybe even more successful than dav has in his time here.

shaoun
April 7, 2005, 07:43 PM
i hope dave stays but yea he is a professional so if he wants to go then he can go. nothing that we can do about it. i hope bcb dont get someone like moshin kamal again.

shaoun
April 7, 2005, 07:46 PM
i hope dave's announcing his interest on joining the indian team doesnt effect the teams prepareation for england. i hope it doesnt but it may specially if he leaves then it will be hard for us to find a good coach. we may have to take sanwar imran.

jabbar
April 7, 2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by israr
I agree with you in this

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 6:16 PM GMT, by israr.

Pure speculation. Let's stick to the facts, shall we?

oracle
April 7, 2005, 08:27 PM
I like Jennings as Tintin suggested. But i am impressed with Rod Marsh,he can lift our fledgling academy BKSP, which is vital as a cornerstone of our future..

mona
April 7, 2005, 10:26 PM
just wondering..what is the longest amount of time that a coach has stayed with the team for?

Tintin
April 7, 2005, 10:36 PM
what is the longest amount of time that a coach has stayed with the team for?

I don't know but will give a try.

Teams started employing coaches only in the fairly recent past. Bobby Simpson was the first coach of Australia and he was in that position for around 10 years (1985/6 to mid 90s). That would be difficult to beat.

Daddy_Mac
April 7, 2005, 11:30 PM
I think he(DW) might stay if BCB increases his Salary.
But if he has no interst in BD cricket he shold leave or we should fire him.

Orpheus
April 8, 2005, 12:01 AM
If he needs a raise, why can't he just ask for one. We do want to keep him. If this India thing is his "strategy" to ask for more, I am sorry - this is back firing. I totally agree with the ppl who said, if his heart isn't there... screw it!!!

Halar po.. tore dorkar nai.. bhaag!!

fwullah
April 8, 2005, 12:19 AM
However we our BCB board is diligent with their selection process and pay decent money, who knows we can find another future Dav (or even better) in our new coach.

Yep, and I believe that we just have to increase our payment and other benefits to Dav to keep him interested to stay on as our coach.

thebest
April 8, 2005, 12:39 AM
If Dev's heart is not here than 8000$ or 8$ it is total waste of money. so BCB looks elsewhere. How about Jennnigs?

dukha
April 8, 2005, 12:41 AM
bhaiyera ei rokom chapa mara bondho koren ...

Who made this this bullcrap so , Dav is leaveing he is not for another 2 years . He said , he is interested on India but depends on Indians to take him on . Dav thaught he can be a coach of Australia but he can't "John Buchana" The best coach in the world is there , then he thaught to have a change to India , The world's second best Test Team .... That's what it's all about ..... Everyone wants the best job they can get . Best coach is , John Buchanan , Then John Wright and Rod Marsh and then Srilankan Coach and after that Bob Woolmer and Dav comes after all of them . Khali coach diyai ki team jitey . Player o lagey . In the world cup Srilanka was 27/3 and they won for De Silva and Gurusinha , don't forget that , not for Dav .... Eirokom chapa marar aar kono dorker nai ....... Bujhlen ..........:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::fla g::flag::flag::flag::flag:

fwullah
April 8, 2005, 12:49 AM
So, we got 2 things here:

1. Conflict with the BCB for either financial or non-financial reasons.

2. Dav lost interest in Bangladesh over the course of last year.

Speculation:

If (1), then what could be the reason? Like Orpheus said: if its only 'money', then he could have easily asked for increase in his salary, but if not, then what could be the non-financial reason(s)?

Again, if (2), then what could be the reason behind it? Are we just 'that bad'? Or, is there no one to toshamod Dav like Mushfiqur Rahman? (ok, that was just a joke).

The main thing that the BCB has to do here is to ask Dav where his heart truely lies, or if its simply a bargaining power that he seeks to get either more money or to get some benefits that he's not currently receiving or as a warning to the BCB guys to watch out (the last 2 points seem to be more viable and logical here).

Just a few days ago, I was looking at some of our 'old' things and one thing that I found was an article published on Daily Star which interviewed Gordon Greenidge (back in 1998), and there were some very common and known things written there - which are not necessarily 'money problems'.

Ahmed_B
April 8, 2005, 12:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/ahmedb/Temporary/Dav.jpg

Source (http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2005-04-08)

insideedge
April 8, 2005, 12:56 AM
Robin Singh is doing a superb job as Indian U-19 coach. During his tenure, Indian U-19 team have thrown up talents like Irfan Pathan, Dinesh Karthik, ( already in Indian senior team) and Shikhar Dhawan, Robin Uthappa, VRV Singh etc( who will be India regulars a few years from now). I do not think BCCI will spare Robin Singh.

Best of luck to some of the pesons here who consider Robin Singh to be crap on the basis of his skin colour. And to think that the same people accuse others of Racial bias, superiority complex etc.

RazabQ
April 8, 2005, 12:57 AM
I am stunned - two coaches leaving in 24 hrs! Believe it or not, it's the loss of Richard McInnis that I'm more concerned about than Dav. I cannot think of any coach who was as passionate about his wards or their cause like Richard was and still probably is - new job notwithstanding. I can understand why he'd want to return home - he has a new baby apparently. As a newly-minted dad myself, a one month seperation from my son was tough. To be away for the stretches like he has too - well I totally sympathize with him.

As to Dav, I have lost a lot of respect for him after this. Yes as a professional, he is free to evaluate competitive offers. But also as a professional, you make sure you do not slack off on your present contract. Him mouthing off about his desire to coach India can't have had a +ve impact on the Sr. squad - and those guys have a fragile psyche to start with. This is kinda like Bill Parcels negotiating with the Jets during the NE Patriot's run to the Superbowl. It totally threw off the team preparation, and players picked up on the fact that coach's heart wasn't in the job.

I am grateful to Dav for all that he has done, and borne with as BD coach. He has brought us a modicum of respectability. But this public desire for India is unprofessional!

Dammit! I don't even drink - so that I could drown my sorrows! :)

mahbubH
April 8, 2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by insideedge
Robin Singh is doing a superb job as Indian U-19 coach. During his tenure, Indian U-19 team have thrown up talents like Irfan Pathan, Dinesh Karthik, ( already in Indian senior team) and Shikhar Dhawan, Robin Uthappa, VRV Singh etc( who will be India regulars a few years from now). I do not think BCCI will spare Robin Singh.

Best of luck to some of the pesons here who consider Robin Singh to be crap on the basis of his skin colour. And to think that the same people accuse others of Racial bias, superiority complex etc.

Currently Robin Sing is not Indian U19 coach so there is no question whether "BCCI will spare Robin Singh". Current U19 Indian coach is V Prasad (at least he was the coach when Indian U19 played England U19 few months back).

Probably Robin Sing is coaching Hong Kong team.

I don't like subcontinent coach for our age group teams not because of their skin color but for their quality. No need of another Mohinder Amarnath or Mohsin Kamal .

Ahmed_B
April 8, 2005, 01:08 AM
Robin Singh is doing a superb job as Indian U-19 coach....I do not think BCCI will spare Robin Singh.

Hei cool down!
We are not talking about U-19 coahces here..
Robin sing is no match for ppl like Whatmore.. Woolmer..Wright and the likes. He is ages behind them and We dont really need someone who has neither the pervious experience of coaching a Test Side National team nor has the age to do so.

Robin sing is not anywhere as impressinve as u r saying him to be.

insideedge
April 8, 2005, 01:16 AM
Robin Singh's credentials may not be upto your requirements, but that is no reason to run him down.

insideedge
April 8, 2005, 01:35 AM
quoted by crickethorizon
We dont really need someone who has neither the pervious experience of coaching a Test Side National team nor has the age to do so.

Tom Moody is one of the contenders for India job. He is considered fit for India job but will be unfit for BD job as per the above quote. Oops, I forgot his skin colour.

mahbubH
April 8, 2005, 01:42 AM
quoted by crickethorizon
We dont really need someone who has neither the pervious experience of coaching a Test Side National team nor has the age to do so.

Tom Moody is one of the contenders for India job. He is considered fit for India job but will be unfit for BD job as per the above quote. Oops, I forgot his skin colour.

Could you please explain why your India is not considering Robin sing for themselves?

PoorFan
April 8, 2005, 02:29 AM
...I'm a professional - of course I'd be interested in talking to the Indians. coaching India would excite me, absolutely.

Nothing wrong with Dav's above comment on showing interest of Indian coach assignment. This comment was enough to show his interest and his professionalism.
The people and the fan of Bangladesh would have keep their full respect as usual on his highly characterized personality. But the rest of his comment made it questionable in my opinion.

However the comment he made bellow does not seems professional to me ( it doesn't matter to him though ).
They'd better make up their minds soon - my contract expires on 30 April. ....but I don't know if I'll sign. I'll have to wait and see.
Something like crying or so desperate to sale himself as a professional when some prospective approach or response yet to be done by India.
If there was something prospective for real, he might have not commented like "Make up your mind, my contract expires on 30 April, ...but I don't know if I'll sign. I'll have to wait and see". Tom Moody and Greg Chappell also showed their interest on Indian coach job but in different professional manner.
Anyway everyone deserve his way to choose his own career, so does Dav Whatmore too. I will be happy to see he get his desired job since he had done a lot for us.
Once his heart has moved to India, he should get it and I wish he do his best with that assignment as well as his career.

We will not have a coach like Dav Whatmore for ever. Sooner or later we have to loose him, so better we also move on like Dav wants to. There is no point to stick to some one who lost interest. Perhaps it's a good time to put some new wind in our team with a new coach. But it's a shocking news indeed to loose two coach almost in a day.

Mr-khan
April 8, 2005, 02:32 AM
John wright ar Salary koto kew ki janen?

RazabQ
April 8, 2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by mr-khan
If the richest cricket board in the world couldn't be enticed to keep him, I wouldn't go far in this line of thinking :)

Mr-khan
April 8, 2005, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by razabq
Originally posted by mr-khan
If the richest cricket board in the world couldn't be enticed to keep him, I wouldn't go far in this line of thinking :)
Na ami oeta mean kori ni.Just jante chai j Whatmore Bd te earn kore 8000$ so India te gele koto pabe?John wright ar ta ask korlam whatmore ar future(india te gele) saraly ta guess korte.

insideedge
April 8, 2005, 04:58 AM
quoted by sports_fan_bd
Could you please explain why your India is not considering Robin sing for themselves?

He is already the coach of U-19 team of India. As someone rightly pointed out in this forum, McIness in the U-19 job was more important for the future of BD cricket than Whatmore in the job for seniors. The same applies for the future of Indian cricket as well. And the future of Indian U-19 cricket is in good hands. Thank you.

Daddy_Mac
April 8, 2005, 05:10 AM
I think increasing a selary like I told might be an interesting way to keep him.
Or by giving him bonas money for every tournament or matches he wins.This has never been done before so its worth the try.
And I think John Write and his Indian team is performing well and one test match lost doesn't necessaryly means sacking acoath who has made them the runnrs-up in the world cup.

Spitfire_x86
April 8, 2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by thebest
If Dev's heart is not here than 8000$ or 8$ it is total waste of money. so BCB looks elsewhere. How about Jennnigs?
Jennings would be the last one on my list. Remember the farce he played with wicketkeeper's position? Dropped Boucher for no reason and finally had to bring him back since there was no practical alternative.

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 10:37 AM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

Spitfire_x86
April 8, 2005, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Tintin
I agree with that. But if some high profile guys like Greg Chappell becomes the coach and Ganguly picks up fights with him, considering Gangu's current form, he may get dropped instead of the coach.
I thought Ganguly had good reations with Greg Chappel...

dukha
April 8, 2005, 05:37 AM
chapabaazi gulla rey baad diley hoi nah ? Banglacricket homepage er dainey picture dekho nah keu ? Naki keu engrezi janey nah ........ It's says mcinnes leaves but whatmore staying back ......... chagol shobgulla ............ chagolder jonney shobai taali maren .......:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::jo y::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 10:38 AM GMT, by dukha.

mahbubH
April 8, 2005, 07:18 AM
quoted by sports_fan_bd

He is already the coach of U-19 team of India. As someone rightly pointed out in this forum, McIness in the U-19 job was more important for the future of BD cricket than Whatmore in the job for seniors. The same applies for the future of Indian cricket as well. And the future of Indian U-19 cricket is in good hands. Thank you.

You wellcome.

Actually, I wanted to know why India is not considering Robin Singa or some other Indian coaches (there must be some) as the senior team coach?

Seeking coach from outside India means they are better than Indian coaches. Even an Indian state hired a Pakistani coach for one of their ranji trophy team. I have no clue what is wrong with Indian coaches.

mahbubH
April 8, 2005, 07:24 AM
Edited on, April 8, 2005, 12:26 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Reason: post error

mahbubH
April 8, 2005, 07:24 AM
Whatmore said: "They'd better make up their minds soon - my contract expires on 30 April.

After reading this BD player will not have same respect for DW as before. If this thing happened in any other professional sports (English premier league, NBA, or NHL) I thik players would not play for that coach.

BCB should not offer DW new contract.

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 12:27 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

Mahmood
April 8, 2005, 08:24 AM
I am pretty sure, India will not take Dev, last time he tried, India offered him the U-19 position. A little has changed since then, I don't see why India would want him in a bigger position now.

What I am worried about now is, since BCB now knows he wanted to leave, will they keep him. The Gordon incident comes to my mind.

ZunaidH
April 8, 2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd

Whatmore said: "They'd better make up their minds soon - my contract expires on 30 April.

After reading this BD player will not have same respect for DW as before. If this thing happened in any other professional sports (English premier league, NBA, or NHL) I thik players would not play for that coach.

BCB should not offer DW new contract.

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 12:27 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

As much as I am a Whatmore fan, this breaks my heart. If he really said something like this, I kinda agree with sports_fan_bd. I hope this does not affect the team's perfromance in England. Not very proefessional of Whatmore. As long as he is on the payroll he should not have done anything to jeopardize the team's morale.

Locutus
April 8, 2005, 08:47 AM
This is a big blow for bangladesh; Richard McInnes quitting as the U19. And if Dav Whatmore leaves, Bangladesh will face a HUGE downfall. We needed a long term coach who can understand our players and the players understand the coach and willing to learn from him. With Whatmore we have got that. And lets face it, Dav Whatmore picked Bangladesh up from a grave. If he stays with Bangladesh for 2-3 more years, I am sure we will be able to challange team like Australia, South Africa at their best performance. Thanks to McInnes. He gave some future to this country. Because players that are comming from U19 team has been great. Examples: Enamul Hoque Jr., Shadadat Hossian Rajib, Nafees Iqbal, Sharere(?)Nafis, Nazmul Hossian etc.

. [/i]

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 1:49 PM GMT, by Logen.

Locutus
April 8, 2005, 08:53 AM
How much does he get paid Anyways? anyone...?

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 1:53 PM GMT, by Logen.

Mahmood
April 8, 2005, 09:01 AM
Whatmore's base salary is 8K USD per month. Living expenses and plane tickets paid. Also has bonus.

AsifTheManRahman
April 8, 2005, 09:18 AM
let's make sarwar imran the coach. seriously.

ok here's why:

-->he is the best local coach right now (I've trained under him, and he's awesome)

-->he has experience coaching a test side (1st test against india)

-->the BCB will have to pay him less

-->he will be able to narrow down the language barriers (if any) to zero

-->he is pretty high profile (the unbeatable Scholastica of the mid 90's containing 5 U-19 players was one of his products, he won Abahani the domestic championships several times with a mediocre team, and everyone knows about the various programmes, eg GP pacer hunt, that he is currently involved with) and unlike other coaches in BD, he went to coaching school in England, which means that he's actually studied the art of coaching.

mahbubH
April 8, 2005, 09:47 AM
>>> let's make sarwar imran the coach. seriously.

He would be the best option if we are unable to attract any big names from Australia, England, (West Indies), or South Africa. I like former Aussie players because most of them (e.g. Dyson, Rixon,..) did well for different teams.

I read that for next contract, BCB is offering DW USD $10000 per month ($2000 more than previous one).

Spitfire_x86
April 8, 2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah, Sarwar Imran is really not a bad option.

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 2:50 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

Mahmood
April 8, 2005, 09:51 AM
Sarwar Imran is definitly a better choice than Mohsin Kamal or Trevor Chappel.

BCB should consider him as the backup up plan and look for a high profile coach.

AsifTheManRahman
April 8, 2005, 10:01 AM
why spend so much money on some world class coach who will bring us to a position where we will start showing hints of promise in two years and then leave us to be coached by some other guy (who will have to start from scratch) and thus send us back to where we were two years ago? that's like a complete waste of 8000*12*2 bucks. i say we hire this imran guy - we'll keep him for life. he will learn as we progress, and eventually become a good coach in international standards.

PS: *I have nothing against Whatmore; in fact, I love him!*

Mahmood
April 8, 2005, 10:15 AM
Because a better coach will give a lot in those 2 years. Just beacuse they will leave should be a reason to stop getting good coaches.

Fazal
April 8, 2005, 10:36 AM
<b>>> let's make sarwar imran the coach. seriously.
>> ok here's why:</b>

<b>-->he is the best local coach right now (I've trained under him, and he's awesome)</b>
May be... does that make him qualify for the national team? Hmm.. may be... may be not.

<b>-->he has experience coaching a test side (1st test against india)</b>
So does M. Kamal and Amarnath

<b>-->the BCB will have to pay him less</b>
Most likely, but why that should be a plus for us? May be for some of the BCB executives. We play in the big league with the big boys now. Regardless of who we pick, we should pay him based on industry standard. There may be other places to squeeze money, but I wouldn't do that here.

<b>-->he will be able to narrow down the language barriers (if any) to zero</b>
Is it good? Don't know. We have some very emotional and volatile players in our national team like Rafique, Pilot, etc... Now if Dav scream at them, they can now reply back with poker face, 'Geli halar []' or 'Potka mach Geli' or something like that and then get away due to language barrier in both sides. If there is a Bangladeshi coach, there will be no wiggle room. Also a Bangladeshi superstar (even like Kapali) will always have more voice in the BCB and the media than a Bangladeshi coach. So for any type of collision between the two, it will always be the coach that will be discarded by the BCB. For Foreign Coach it will be a little more balanced.

<b>-->he is pretty high profile </b>
He may be accomplished coach in all of the lower levels, but high profile. I don't think so.

Besides that, I like your Idea about Sarwar Imran as a coach . :joy::joy:

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 3:41 PM GMT, by Fazal.

AsifTheManRahman
April 8, 2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Rajputro
Because a better coach will give a lot in those 2 years. Just beacuse they will leave should be a reason to stop getting good coaches.

agreed. but think of our players. they haven't yet reached the level of maturity where they can keep the things they learn from a coach once he's gone. when a new coach arrives every two years, he takes some time to settle down, get to know the players and get them to like him. besides, he has, in most cases, a completely different approach compared to the previous guy, and our players are not mature enough to be able to make the transition easily within a short period of time. our players require more attention than other test sides (which is natural), jaake bole haate dhore shekhano. once there's a change, they take a lot of time to get themselves accustomed to it. this has been mentioned in many interviews by the players themselves. if that is so, then we're losing roughly around one (say) out of the two years that a coach stays with us. i mean i'm pretty sure that if whatmore leaves, we will be back to where we were two years ago, fighting in vain to avoid huge innings defeats, until the next guy who comes in has stayed for about a year (provided he makes any impact).

on the other hand, what imran can do is he can build the team up slowly. maybe it'll take some time, and maybe we'll lose big. however, we won't go back to where we are right now, or were two years back from now, since he will be there with us instead of making way for a new guy in a couple of years' time.

AsifTheManRahman
April 8, 2005, 11:09 AM
Besides that, ........
Edited on, April 8, 2005, 3:41 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Fazal, eto counter jukti dekhanor por r baki thake ki? :D

fwullah
April 8, 2005, 11:49 AM
Here is the best that we can do with a local coach, no matter how good he is: we get bowled out for 80 odd runs - equelling our lowest ever total in ODIs against India during the TVS cup just after the world cup 2003. Yes, the good point was that we managed to get that out of our mind and could show a little fight under Sarwar Imran within just a week, but a much better point is that we were able to get close to a win against Pakistan, also draw against West Indies under Whatmore.

So, is a local coach = a foreign coach? I think not. Rather, a local coach working side by side with a foreign coach (preferably from outside the subcontinent) is a much viable option than not.

AsifTheManRahman
April 8, 2005, 11:53 AM
the sample size for imran is pretty small. i say we give him a chance. :)

fwullah
April 8, 2005, 11:55 AM
I am surprised that you are all taking this 'against Whatmore', rather, I believe that it is our board's fault.

Just remember that - the same bunch of people who were at the BCB helm during & before the world cup 2003, they are still working inside the BCB - nothing has changed to that.

So, I would rather blame those nincompuch BCB officials who are 'good for nothing' and can't retain a good employee working for them for more than 2 years without any incident.

I'm certain that Dav Whatmore would never have said all the things that he said out loud to BBC had his working relationship with (may be) some of the BCB officials have not worsened over the last one year as it supposedly did.

Since he's a 'professional' coach', he couldn't talk to Daily Star like Gordon Greenidge did so openly, thus, the indirect approach he took by saying out loud that he's interested in the Indian job.

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 4:57 PM GMT, by fwullah.
Reason: supposedly

AsifTheManRahman
April 8, 2005, 11:58 AM
i'd expressed similar concerns in one of my posts earlier in the thread. i doubt dav is capable of talking so openly to the media about his plans regarding his career, unless there has been something between him and the BCB very recently.

Ahmed_B
April 8, 2005, 12:33 PM
Just now I was watching the Channel I news and the reporter also mentioned that Dav has expressed his interest to take the Indian job in a radio interview (probably on BBC) even though the senior players of India doesn't want him as coach, they want Chapel.

To be honest.... I am completely shocked by the whole behavior and comments of Whatmore, We really had very high level of respect for him. It's not unprofessional to try out better opportunities, but the way he has exposed the whole issue to the media even before the termination of his contract with BCB... is completely shocking!

Even if Dav doesn't go to India ... will our players and the board be able to work with him as warm-heartedly as they has been doing so far?! I really doubt that.

AsifTheManRahman
April 8, 2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Dav has expressed his interest to take the Indian job in a radio interview (probably on BBC) even though the senior players of India doesn't want him as coach, they want Chapel.

eto leshugiri korar ki ase? i really smell some BCB_member_misdeeds here.

Fazal
April 8, 2005, 12:47 PM
I think we are over analyzing the case here.

Dav is a great coach for us. Now if he decides to leave, then Tuff luck! ...we recognize his contribution, say good-bye and move on... hoping for another good coach to identify and locking long term.

Now if Dav doesn't get the Indian, .... forget and forgive and move on... there is no place to be emotional here....

With or without Dav, we need a solid plan for respectable result in WC2007

Either way life goes on....

oracle
April 8, 2005, 12:49 PM
Please try to read what Dav says: "i am a professional..."

Folks, if you want to exercise scrutiny, exercise it also on the board., i.e 50 percent spotlight on dave and 50 percent spotlight on the board. Personally, I don't like the way the BCB is handling the press release( which is zero and partly because we have NO website YET!) and the silence with Mciness departure.
For god's sake Lobi or whoever has the reins in there should have called a press conference 2 days ago and just lay it out of the table.

We don't have to wait 2 days like some death of a Soviet leader to get the news. That is also UNPROFESSIONAL.:(

Edited on, April 8, 2005, 5:51 PM GMT, by oracle.

IanW
April 8, 2005, 05:39 PM
I said it about McInness, and I'll say it about Whatmore.

If people see Bangladesh coaching jobs as proven stepping stones to bigger and better things, you'll get a better grade of coach.

2 year contracts will probably have to go though - lock em in for three years.

Ian Whitchurch

rana
April 8, 2005, 05:44 PM
how could Dave live us he even didn't finish his job yet,
still we need You ,Dave plz don't go ,
we need you very badly:-/

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 3:12 AM GMT, by rana.

Rabz
April 8, 2005, 09:22 PM
i think Dav dont really have any urge to leave..but at the same time he doesnt want the BCB officials to take him for granted...i mean..c'mon..the guy's been with us for two years..by now..he must know those damn officials pretty good...

amar to mone hoe o ektu dhol bajae dekhlo ki hoy...

now the bcb people will start sh**ting in their pants..and would make a real effort to keep him..may be in this chance he would take about some pay rise...
and with indian offer as a beit...he might just cash in a bit more...

but even he really leaves for india...cant really blame him though...

...plus who wants to loose all the time...we dont care if bangladesh loose...its our country...we'r goona support it no matter what..
but dave is pro...may b he wants to be in the winning side for a change...after all the guy tasted the world cup...

insideedge
April 8, 2005, 09:35 PM
It will be unfortunate if every BD coach is made a hero when BD wins a match or two and then painted as a villain when he decides to leave. It happened with Greenidge and now it is happening with Whatmore. No other country parts with their coaches in this manner. IanW says in his post that BD position will be seen as a stepping stone for higher posts for coaches. I suspect it will also mean that these coaches will leave BD with bitter memories. To the best of my knowledge, few of the fans here have a nice word to say for any of the coaches of the national team.The list now includes Whatmore as well.

Having said that, I feel that India is not that desperate or eager to have Whatmore as their coach.Moody seems to be the favourite of Indian fans and Greg Chappell the choice of the skipper.

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 01:29 AM
I feel that India is not that desperate or eager to have Whatmore as their coach

Yes, not as desperate as us to keep Whatmore as coach.

Did you read the post 'Dav's leaving'? He's leaving this September!